World Cup 2010 - England Thread

IMO this is one is on Capello.
The movement of Özil and Muller tore England apart in the first half, and he really didn't change anything at all (or else the English playrs are tactically totally inept).
Yes, the Lampard goal should have counted and yes this could have changed the match and yes Friedrich should have got a second yellow right before the 3d German goal, but in the end this young German team learned the English "superstars" a big lesson...they were much, much better.
England are slow (Terry, Upson, Barry) and without imagination (the English goal is typical for the lack of creativity, throw in a centre and just hope that a big central defender will "head" it in goal).
Lampard was good, Milner was decent and Rooney deserves better, he just wasn't fit. The rest of the England team were poor. And today Capello didn't looked to be the big tactical coach.

PS: Muller and Özil were fantastic.

We'll always bring up the Lampard goal but Germany were the better side and our defence probably wouldn't have coped after HT anyway.

I think the best chance for England to win another World Cup is hosting it on 2018.

This year they really played bad and with no heart at all, and without it is very hard to win a WC.

Although England performance was shity, that goal been disalowed was an abosutly blow... I know all about 1966, but still, that goal was as clear as water.. ridiculous.

Btw, Barry is as slow as my grama.(nothing new here offcourse)

QxJvh.jpg

:TTTH:

So what now? Capello isn't a mug, he's proven he's a very talented manager and if he can't get our players working, who can?

Is it Capello's fault? The players? Too many foreigners in the PL stiffling English talent? Lack of proper coaching for younger players (Lilleshall)?

Something is seriously wrong with our game and if a top coach like Capello can't fix it, we need to look at our sources for the problem.

It's the mentality of the english game, they have a fifa-esque approach, i.e. it's about speed and strength. It's pretty sad when players like Rooney and Cole get singled out as amazing players because they have "great" technical ability. No, they have what should be a basic technical ability for all players. Watched the spain match the other day and Pique, the CB, had a dribble that took him past 2 or 3 players. If cole or Rooney would have done it it would have been hyped to be like Messi. Yet it wasn't anything special, you just have to look at the first touch of players to see how poor they are.

We were saying the same thing after euro2000 but nothing seems to have changed, and it won't because the top clubs will continue to have succes with a lot of foreigners and the few english will be hyped up. For club football it's a great mix; strength, power AND technical ability and tactical insight. But the latter two are the basis for good football and they are introduced by foreign coaches and players.

We just won the u17 European Championship beating Spain in the final so maybe there is some decent lads coming through.

I hope we use this chance to get rid of the 'golden generation' and give some younger guys a chance and rebuild with a fresh mindset. Capello is proven and it's not as if this group of players has never failed before is it? It's been the same story for the past 15 years.

David James is nearly 40 now so Joe Hart should be instilled as the new number 1 straight away and kept there.

There are plenty of good young players coming through; Jack Wilshere, Connor Wickham, Adam Johnson, Jack Rodwell, Michael Mancienne, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, Victor Moses and so on. It's not all doom and gloom. If these lads can get the right footballing education then things might not be so bad in the future.

Yeah Barry wasn't alone. Terry, Upson, Johnson and especially Gerrard were absolutely disgraceful. Hollywood balls out for throws, repeatedly scuffing piss poor shots wide instead of passing to a better placed teammate, bar the cross for the goal it was a fucking woeful performance. Captain fantastic my arse.

Lampard and James were the only ones who can say they did alright.

The 'goal' was a sticking point and who knows what could have happened if it had've been given with a shift in the momentum but as it was we defended awfully and badly missed Ferdinand.

Germany deserved it, absolutely clinical on the counter attack.
:LOL:
Why the hell is Gerrard even a starter? Some1 quicker and more intelligent should be backing up Lampard which had a much better season then Gerrard. He should be the key player in England, not Steven.

Btw, Cole + Johnson = a joke defending and attacking
Rooney just confirmed my theory, every player in that Nike Commercial is playing sh*t, lets just hope Ronaldo can prove me wrong but so far it has been consistent.

Tbh I thought Rooney's performance was fine. It looked bad because of Mr. Fantastic there decided to shoot from everywhere instead of passing it to Rooney who was in a better position a few times. And because of that too he was left lonely, plus Defoe, not being fed with passes.

Also thought Barry and Ashley Cole were truly awful.

Didn't see much teamwork going on, except for Rooney who tried to create openings whenever he got the chance.

We just won the u17 European Championship beating Spain in the final so maybe there is some decent lads coming through.

I hope we use this chance to get rid of the 'golden generation' and give some younger guys a chance and rebuild with a fresh mindset. Capello is proven and it's not as if this group of players has never failed before is it? It's been the same story for the past 15 years.

David James is nearly 40 now so Joe Hart should be instilled as the new number 1 straight away and kept there.

There are plenty of good young players coming through; Jack Wilshere, Connor Wickham, Adam Johnson, Jack Rodwell, Michael Mancienne, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, Victor Moses and so on. It's not all doom and gloom. If these lads can get the right footballing education then things might not be so bad in the future.

Very good post.

So what now? Capello isn't a mug, he's proven he's a very talented manager and if he can't get our players working, who can?

Is it Capello's fault? The players? Too many foreigners in the PL stiffling English talent? Lack of proper coaching for younger players (Lilleshall)?

Something is seriously wrong with our game and if a top coach like Capello can't fix it, we need to look at our sources for the problem.
Cappello's fault for choosing the wrong players and the players fault for showing no desire and passion throughout the tournament.

PL stiffing English talent? fuck no. the PL has lots of up and coming talented players. just because they don't play in the first team in the top 3 teams in England doesn't mean there not good enough for the English side. Just look at the German side. You know any world class players from their besides ballack and klose?

Lack of proper coaching? Give Wenger a few English players. his proven to be the best coach for young talent.

I tell you what problem we have, its the English players price tag. too high for very little in return. As soon as a young British player performs well for a season, his worth 30+m for some odd reason. Price them better and im sure Wenger and co would buy instead of buying a foreign player, teaching them basic English and the physicality of the PL. im highly sure all PL managers would love to buy English talent but not on stupid fee's

Look at Walcott, he cost us nearly 10m or so and he wasn't even PROVEN. a fucking 16 year old playing for a championship side!! Rooney at 18 was how much? 30+m!!!

I know he was good but he wasn't 30m good at the time! Say if another Rooney pops up, who the fucks got the money to gamble on 30m for a 18 year old? come on who?

TOO MUCH money in the PL is a big issue

Maybe Capello should've played a different formation that works for everyone, not a 4-4-2 that he prefers. Most of the players are used to the 4-3-3 or the 4-3-2-1 system.

Also maybe a few youngsters to add to the mix would've given England some pace. Like Adam Johnson instead of Wright Philips or Milner. Gerrard shouldn't be starting imo.

PL stiffing English talent? fuck no. the PL has lots of up and coming talented players. just because they don't play in the first team in the top 3 teams in England doesn't mean there not good enough for the English side.

I think it's proven that the Premier League has stifled English talent. Look at the rather limited pool of players Capello has to choose from.

When even mediocre Premier League clubs (and Championship clubs for that matter) are loaded up with foreign players then there is something wrong. The fact that young English players aren't getting opportunities at the big clubs playing in the Champions League and Europa League is a problem.

Just look at the German side. You know any world class players from their besides ballack and klose?

Don't belittle the German team because they are a better side than England in every aspect.

And define a world class player? Because I've seen more evidence of world class players in the young German side than the ageing England team. Anyone that has an interest in football outside the Premier League bubble will know how highly rated the likes of Mesut Ozil and Thomas Muller are. Young German players that play regular football for top Bundesliga sides.

Germany will produce more 'world class' players than England because they have a league that is run properly with an emphasis on developing German talent rather than the Premier League's obsession with money and short-termism via quick-fix foreign players. Until we wake up and go back to basics in England then the national team will always suffer.

here is my take

The reason these players are good in the PL is they are surrounded by top european talent , they work in a formation at their clubs (4-5-1).

Upson is a mediocre defender at best, Terry is good at crosses who was going to cover behind them with no ferdinand etc, I thought England might beat Germany but knew Tevez and Messi would then destroy them with their pace and movement.

SWP and Heskey are simply not good enough for a team expecting to win the world cup, sorry but I would have taken Bent and Walcott before them and another pile of players before Heskey who cant even get into the Villa side. If you want someone to hold the ball up, choose Kevin Davies who is probably the best in the PL at that role.

Balance of team is wrong, SG on left just doesnt work for him or England. I think the manager has 2 major flaws, lack of english cant be easy to dictate to players what he wants, no plan B, it wasnt working then needed goals so he took off defoe and put on Heskey....I bet the German coach was peeing his pants!!

Sorry but man for man there are some excellent English players however the best PL players are not english and until that balance is restored and lots more talent is playing in the PL and Champions League then I dont see it changing,

From my humble oppinion, Capello's faults were bigger than england lack of young talent.

It's true that England lacks talent speciallyin the creation zone (CM, DMF). Put Xavi, Cesc or Ozil in that team and things will get instantly better.

But Capello has tried to make players match his view of football and it's too obvious Gerrard and Lampard didn't find their position. They had positional conflicts with Rooney all the time, and the nature of the striker (beinf Defoe or Heskey) wasn't at all logical with the rest of the team.

There wasn't a clear message of "how england will play", specially in building up. Players were like headless chickens in the pitch for most of the match, what is clearly a big coaching problem.

I woudl say: blame the coach first, the players later and the lack of talent in the last place.

It's also quite difficult to motivate a foreign team that has no connection to your own national pride. Also tough if you only learned English a year ago at the age of 60-something. Do foreign managers ever win these cups?

England lacked creativity and teamwork during the tournament, plus capello choosed a bunch of players that bring the same type of game...

IMO Gerrard should have played in a striking role with rooney

Gerrard and Lampard just cant play on the same side of a pitch, while Terry shouldnt even be capped by his national side.

World Cup Pressure has hit England hard but I must agree with stumpy you cant have players like Heskey, Lennon,SWP on a side that expect to win a WC, these player has quality but nowhere near WC Champion level

You know what lads. if we had 11 players on the field with the same passion and desire has lewis hamilton, we would have won yesterday.

Lewis hamilton is such a fantastic performer that he never slows down/ease off until the race is finished. huge passion and desire is missing from our english team

I think it's proven that the Premier League has stifled English talent. Look at the rather limited pool of players Capello has to choose from.

When even mediocre Premier League clubs (and Championship clubs for that matter) are loaded up with foreign players then there is something wrong. The fact that young English players aren't getting opportunities at the big clubs playing in the Champions League and Europa League is a problem.

Don't belittle the German team because they are a better side than England in every aspect.

And define a world class player? Because I've seen more evidence of world class players in the young German side than the ageing England team. Anyone that has an interest in football outside the Premier League bubble will know how highly rated the likes of Mesut Ozil and Thomas Muller are. Young German players that play regular football for top Bundesliga sides.

Germany will produce more 'world class' players than England because they have a league that is run properly with an emphasis on developing German talent rather than the Premier League's obsession with money and short-termism via quick-fix foreign players. Until we wake up and go back to basics in England then the national team will always suffer.

Yea i see what your coming from but as i have said time and time again, why spend 30m on a british player when you can buy a foreign player for half the price thats as good if not better than that british players.

Now lets look at the german league. are homegrown players expensive their? i highly doubt it

Barry, Johnson, Upson were terrible. There is no way on earth I'd have any of those in my England team. I'd rather take some unproven young lad over morons who are slow, shite, uncreative and lose the ball over and over.
The defence was shocking throughout the Germany game though with Terry drifting from rcb to lcb positions over and over leaving huge gaps (see Germany's first goal). I still don't get why Terry and Johnson both jumped back on the 2nd or 3rd goal instead of just running to the goal line and clearing the ball.

In a way I'm glad Germany scored more after half time and eliminated us that way rather than us going out at 2-1. Of course a win would have been nice but we'd have just ended up being ripped apart by Argentina anyway playing like this. Losing 2-1 though, the focus would have been completely on the goal that was never given rather than how shit England were playing. This way they'll all have to take responsibility for their poor play and make some changes.

Oh and why on earth was Crouch, our most in form striker not playing games and instead that pile of shit Hesky playing? He fucking injured one of, if not our best defender because of how idiotically bad he is.

I thought Capello had it in him to do something good but .. I don't know. Everything seemed off from the start of the tournament, maybe even the friendly games before it. Maybe the players didn't like being told to do things different to what they wanted, there was already signs of players undermining the manager with Terry saying things about Joe Cole and vice versa.

So... who's up for Capello getting the boot and Harry Redknapp getting the England job next?

drek said:
I woudl say: blame the coach first, the players later and the lack of talent in the last place.

But how many coaches do you have to go through before you can't blame the coach?! England have had 3 different coaches now and all of them have failed* but all have had the same players to work with. It's all very well saying Capello got the formation wrong with wrong players but the same formation, systems and players breezed through the qualifiers and besides Germany you can't say they really played better teams at the finals.

*Depends on your expectations

I'd say as many coaches as it takes until we get a coach who can see Gerrard should have been playing behind Rooney rather than on the left wing, The players were playing way too narrow the first half and were completely ignoring what worked in the previous game (wing play and crosses) - that shoukd have been spotted right away and changed, Johnson was 2 yards off the pace the whole tournament so should have been dealt with, Heskey should never be coming onto the pitch when you have better in form strikers sat waiting.

Maybe all those things aren't the coaches fault - but if it's not his fault... whose fault is it?

So... who's up for Capello getting the boot and Harry Redknapp getting the England job next?

that wont make a fucking difference mate. You could put wenger, fegruson or even morinho in charge today and they still wouldnt do fuck all.

Its the british mentality thats the problem. once these players earn 200k a week, you think they give a shit about wearing an england shirt? hell no.

i can imagine terry and upson discussing what new sports car they should buy this summer during germany's first goal

Last edited:
A semi clearout is needed and a rigid 442 outside of the Premier Leagues doesn't work.

There isn't a good national pool to choose from (it really hits home when you manage England in FM). Capello must change the system and play players in their natural positions. Whatever happened to picking players who were fit and on form for their clubs? A number of players in the 23 shouldn't be in the squad on that basis.

Adam Johnson, Ashley Young, Joe Hart, Theo Walcott and The Hudd and others should be permanent fixtures future squads along with the younger players (and Gerarrd etc) in the current squad.

I am biased as a Spurs fan but The Hudd should be starting in middle, the is no better Englishman that can pass the ball better than him. Plus he can recycle possession better than Barry, he may not be that mobile but who cares, just put someone active next to him like Palacios (Hargreaves etc).

How is Micah Richards doing at Man City? Glen Johnson doesn't have any real competition at RB.

Mate im an arsenal fan and i agree that spurs to have a lot of young English talent in it and i would choose them above rooney and co any day.

Dropping Rooney would be an extreme overreaction, they should build the team around him instead.

Back
Top Bottom