World Cup 2010 - England Thread

Mutd blooded their youth too w/ the "you`ll never win w/ kids" campaign but then they sold their soul. To keep up w/ the Jones. And more n more clubs did the same.

You see Walrus (forgot his real name lol)saying in this day in age you have to go the Wenger route invest in youth.That too is heading the wrong way because it suggest you have to bring in younger foreigners to your academy. All in all it takes out the real purpose to get talent and hurt NT again pandors`s box I tell ya

Wengers next crop of players are mostly english mate. what are you on about?

Wilshere, Eastwood, Watt Gibbs, gilbert, Hoyte etc etc http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players

even if wenger can only make 5 of his next crop of players world class, then that is a BIG help already and under wenger, would actually know how to play technical passionate football unlike gerrard and co

I dont think the academys arnt the problem, there are plenty of good young player produced all over the country. The problem is the bigger clubs snap them up as soon as they have shown promise and let them rot in there reserves/academys rather than them get there natraul proressin with there own clubs...

Wow! Where did u read this mate?

I'd like to understand if the FA will now consider a winter break. All the traditionalists will complain of not having boxing day games or new years day games, but we need to move with the times.

I'm in support of a winter break. We could still have the boxing day games but have a two week break after that.

One question, looking at what the other managers are paid why are we paying 5 times more, as usual it should be our FA who should go, every man Jack of them...

Don't forget the cockup of Wembley and still no national training centre.

As for the chav's that make up the majority of the England team they are a disgrace.

Tired ? I don't see Kuyt , Tevez, for instance complaining. They get paid fortunes for minimal ability and stil have the nerve to whine.

I'm in support of a winter break. We could still have the boxing day games but have a two week break after that.

However it won't make much difference if the league programme remains the same in terms of fixtures or address the basic problem lack of technique.

It's a red herring. As I said players like Kuyt and Tevez seem to be running aorund without complaint unlike the spoilt chavvy brats that comprise the England team.

Wengers next crop of players are mostly english mate. what are you on about?

Wilshere, Eastwood, Watt Gibbs, gilbert, Hoyte etc etc
never said anything about Wengers next crop just pointing out Mutd crop when their English academy went into 1st team. You don`t see that anymore as a group . yh Wenger bleeds them 1 or 2 makes it and others move to other clubs. Wilshire n Gibbs played in CL cream always rise to the top but Ramsey is wenger`s next post cesc project and he`s not English.

However it won't make much difference if the league programme remains the same in terms of fixtures or address the basic problem lack of technique.

It's a red herring. As I said players like Kuyt and Tevez seem to be running aorund without complaint unlike the spoilt chavvy brats that comprise the England team.

very good point in fact tevez cries when being sub and kuyt plays 90min non stop running

Ofcourse they're tired. Way too many competitions in a season. :P

Come to think of it though, they are alot. EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, CL/EL, International friendles/qualification games, etc.

Good point, although I would still favour a winter break to bring us into line with the rest of Europe. It's not going to change much but I think it's a move we need to consider. As you said, other foreign Premier League players seem to be full of energy so the problem is deeper than just tiredness.

The England players certainly looked lethargic, though. Is being a professional footballer really that tiring? They should try working a 42 hour week doing 12 hour night shifts like I do! :P

Good point, although I would still favour a winter break to bring us into line with the rest of Europe. It's not going to change much but I think it's a move we need to consider. As you said, other foreign Premier League players seem to be full of energy so the problem is deeper than just tiredness.

The England players certainly looked lethargic, though. Is being a professional footballer really that tiring? They should try working a 42 hour week doing 12 hour night shifts like I do! :P

As I've said before mate they have no idea what the so called ordinary man or woman in the street experiences.

Complaining that they were homesick or bored is just beyond the pale.

And many foreign players were staggered by the fact players trained the once in the morning and then buggered off to do what they want for the rest of the day while thye put in extra practice.

I suppose it doesn't help that they are pretty dim when you see foreign players by and large being able to speak fluent English and someone like Seedorf conversant in several languages.

Like Tevez? ;) Complained about Mancini's extra training sessions and still can't speak a word of English 4 years since arriving.

I agree with you of course, there is a problem with the culture here and you're totally right about the foreign players in the Premier League not looking tired at this World Cup.

But what else could Fabio say apart from that? The idiots at the FA are already considering his job, if he says there is a problem from grass roots all the way to the top with the training of young players etc etc then he's basically putting the nails in his own coffin by slagging off his employers.

I can't believe people want him out!? 9 league titles at 4 different clubs and a Champions League and people are absolving this useless group of individuals of any blame. It's no wonder he looked so perplexed as to why we did so badly. We breezed through qualifying and he obviously had no idea the players would bottle it so badly on the big stage, he thought he'd solved that problem. I agree he probably was too rigid and stubborn with his tactics and he made some errors in selections but as I said before this is the same group that failed to qualify for Euro 2008 and got knocked out at the quarters or earlier of the 5 tournaments before that.

I really think we should start a fresh with the young players (along with a few more experienced guys) and build for the future.

IceMan_Bergkamp - you missed Wayne Rooney out of your list of top 4 English players aged 20-25.

Club level football is still much different to international. You can offload a shite player and replace them with a much better guy much easier than with international sides.

I agree with you jumbo though on your last point.
By the next Euro championships a lot of the team we had here will be into the sort of mid 30's or close to mid 30's which really should be their end. So really they should start qualifying this year with the next gen of players rather than using what we have now to qualify and hope they maintain their level for 2 years and somehow don;t do the same they did here. I don't mean a full 11 of young guys but at least start giving the next gen regular games and start to build something new rather than use the old tried and failed players.

Hopefully as well... if Capello brings in a lot of new faces, he can start on a new page with them and from day one gets their mentality right. He can avoid them becoming more of the prima donna style players like we currently have.

Yeah I'd be happy even if we jeapordised Euro 2012 just to get a much better team for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

At the next World Cup Gerrard will be 34 (and his game relies on pace), Lampard 36, Heskey 36, Upson 35, James 43 :LOL:, Carragher 36, Terry and Ashley Cole, Barry, King and Crouch will be 34, even Defoe will be 31. If we're still relying on these players by then then we've got serious trouble ahead.

By then some of the starlets of today will be into their early 20's and Rooney, Milner and co will be reaching their prime so I see no reason why we shouldn't start building for tomorrow early.

I know you lots don`t see ESPN here ,but you`ll be amazed how upset the England goal that was ruled out. Every sport show commentators are fuming how the amount of goals scored in this game (footy) and they can`t take 20 seconds to replay a ball crossing the line .If England would of drew 2-2 that changes everything ...it`s shocking what the English fans and players have to deal with it`s criminal :LOL:

Funny even though they might know little of the game , they make the argument

I agree that the match 'could' have turned out very different if that goal had stood. I saw a lot of people on sky sports news saying that even if it had been given... it would NOT have changed anything.

But that's insane.

Scoring 2 quick fire goals against a young team like the Germans had could easily have affected them - heck it could have affected almost any team. You're 2-0 up and looking comfortable and then your opponents just score 2 quick fire goals and its half time.

England would have been going into the 2nd half without the desperate need to score. They could have slowed down the game, stopped rushing every man forward and either got another goal, conceded a third to the Germans or taken it down to penalties.

They were poor though throughout the tournament though so England would have just probably ended up being ripped open by Argentina in their next game anyway. But still, that goal could have made a huge difference and it is a joke that they still don't have a way of getting some kind of technology in to stop it. It makes footie look like a complete joke compared to every other major sport.

Like Tevez? ;) Complained about Mancini's extra training sessions and still can't speak a word of English 4 years since arriving.

I did say the majority of foreign players. ;) They usually speak better English than those raised here.

And maybe he is right. Too much focus on physical preperation late on in the season when players are already very conditioned and not enough on tactical prep for the match.

Still he seems fresh as a daisy.

England Home As Fifa Says Sorry For 'Goal'

England's football players have arrived back in the UK - as Fifa apologised for their "non goal" and vowed to reopen the file on video technology.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said sorry to England and Mexico for the refereeing errors that helped eliminate them from the World Cup.

Blatter said: "Naturally we deplore when you see the evidence of refereeing mistakes."

He added that Fifa will "reopen the file" on video technology at a meeting of its rule-making panel in Wales next month.

He said it would be "a nonsense" not to consider changes.

What a Muppet this man is, everyone and their grandma has been saying that for years and clamouring for change while he stuck he head in the sand and pretended it was still 1960... :BRICK:

England Home As Fifa Says Sorry For 'Goal'

England's football players have arrived back in the UK - as Fifa apologised for their "non goal" and vowed to reopen the file on video technology.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said sorry to England and Mexico for the refereeing errors that helped eliminate them from the World Cup.

Blatter said: "Naturally we deplore when you see the evidence of refereeing mistakes."

He added that Fifa will "reopen the file" on video technology at a meeting of its rule-making panel in Wales next month.

He said it would be "a nonsense" not to consider changes.

What a Muppet this man is, everyone and their grandma has been saying that for years and clamouring for change while he stuck he head in the sand and pretended it was still 1960... :BRICK:

i actually hope a blunder like this will happen in this years final. maybe then they will listen and implement video technology

Its a shame that people like blatter on the top of the fifa, we need people who played football themself, love the game and not the dictatorship like blatter, if the smaller countrys vote for him, we can´t chance anything. I'm afraid that the next matches are also will be decided by a ref mistake, that's all logical and has already started with the rematch of france against Ireland. who cares if somewhere in the smaller countries, no video proof exists, if we play a World Cup ? What will Blatter do when the fourth official ref from now accesses the video proof? All referees lock ? Cancel the World Cup ?
The refs are afraid even though it be a big help for them could

i actually hope a blunder like this will happen in this years final. maybe then they will listen and implement video technology

It may be the biggest dream to play a final in a footballer life and should be decided by a goal or not a goal mistake ? I do not think that you like it or anyone want to win on this way who love the game of football

Last edited:

Jonney, it's 5 lines of information and you still missed the point. :DOH:

He said they will discuss it at the next meeting and that it would be "a nonsense" not to consider changes.

Fifa/Blatter's primary excuse against video technology in football is that they want the game to be the same whether it's a world cup final or a Sunday league match on the local park. I find that a poor reason not to implement technology. Tennis and cricket have Hawkeye at the top level, rugby and NFL use video replays, but the people playing at lower levels don't have this technology. Does it matter to them? Probably not.

Any top level sport should embrace technology to help the referee/umpire make the correct decision, because that's where the sports are most watched and the most is a stake. It should be an embarrassment to FIFA that such glaring mistakes are being made in front of an audience of billions.

It may be the biggest dream to play a final in a footballer life and should be decided by a goal or not a goal mistake ? I do not think that you like it or anyone want to win on this way who love the game of football

if its decided by a dodgy goal then im n100% sure video technology or some form of technology will be implemented.

The fifa guys would look like complete dickheads if they dont

i hope so, remember 2006: zidane attack against materazzi, reported by the fourth ref

Yeah it is a good article, makes some good points.

One thing though, why don't these young players get any interest from teams abroad? All you can say is maybe they're just not that good?

The argument that foreign imports are stopping our young players developing is only semi-valid in my eyes as in the 70's and 80's when there was almost entirely British players in the league we were still shit at international level then, probably worse infact and nothing's changed.

It's the training from a young age. Our players are just not as technically and tactically accomplished as most other countries seem to be and why that is I dont know, it's part of the culture I guess.

One thing for all you English fans, after the game was capellos place a topic to talk about or was the players attitude and continued lack of 'love' for the rose jersey the hot topic for discussion both in the media and the overall peoples opinion?

Back
Top Bottom