World Cup 2010 - England Thread

After macth pic of the english players:
inglaterra_mailonline_rep_60.jpg

Lennon smoking a huge cigar(cigar of victory?) lol

One thing though, why don't these young players get any interest from teams abroad? All you can say is maybe they're just not that good?

Because the English clubs would charge a fortune.

One thing for all you English fans, after the game was capellos place a topic to talk about or was the players attitude and continued lack of 'love' for the rose jersey the hot topic for discussion both in the media and the overall peoples opinion?

Both, although the players are getting more abuse than Capello from what I've seen.

Because the English clubs would charge a fortune.
No they wouldn't, only the ones showing a lot promise get overpaid on like Walcott, Rooney, Ashley Young etc. The lad mentioned in that article would probably fetch a couple of million tops and if he's as good as they're suggesting surely he'd get a game for a club in another league?

Agreed.
By the way, to those who think English players have had a long hard season, burn out etc, Tevez plays in the same league and he's looking okay at the moment...

How many games did he play through the entire 09/10 season?

Plus he is 26 so really his fitness level should be far superior than a bunch of 30+ guys.

How many games did he play through the entire 09/10 season?

Plus he is 26 so really his fitness level should be far superior than a bunch of 30+ guys.

Tevez is just an example (he played about 42 games inc 4 or 5 as sub = A fairly decent output, in my opinion)
Also there are a few England players under 30 (Rooney, Lennon,Defoe, Milner, G.Johnson etc)

I think the poor performance was mainly down to poor mental preparation, much like Italy and France. The players just seemed too nervous, so its quite hard to commit yourself when you're scared of messing up so much.

I think the poor performance was mainly down to poor mental preparation, much like Italy and France. The players just seemed too nervous, so its quite hard to commit yourself when you're scared of messing up so much.

True enough, that's definitely a factor. There definitely seems to be an inherent fear of failure among the English players that's been evident for many years now, so much so that the players are scared to express themselves in case they make a mistake.

The English media must be held accountable to a large extent. They hype the national team (and the Premier League) and simply build expectations too high. We've won one world cup 44 years ago, never been European champions and have failed to qualify for far too many major tournaments for a nation of our footballing size and stature. Why do we always think we are contenders?

No wonder the players never seem relaxed.

Not sure where to post this but I'd really want to see FIFA or UEFA taking a decision of forcing clubs to have 60% of their squads made up of local boys. That should be a good solution imo.

Tevez is just an example (he played about 42 games inc 4 or 5 as sub = A fairly decent output, in my opinion)
Also there are a few England players under 30 (Rooney, Lennon,Defoe, Milner, G.Johnson etc)

But most of the England team who played were oldies.

They compared the games played between a handful of England players to some of the German team and Rooney I think had played 60ish and then after that it was something like 59 for terry 58 for someone else and so on. The German team were also in the same kind of numbers but I think they had played about 5 games more than all of the English guys so whoever was top there had played like 64 games to rooneys 60 and then they had terry and some German guy who had played like 62 etc...

-

If fitness had been a problem though - then really they should not have played all those friendly games right before the world cup.

-

I wonder if Capello gave all of these 30 something guys a run in the team for some sort of 'last chance... may as well give them a go' type of thing. You know like he knew they were exhausted but if he hadn't have played say Gerrard or Terry and instead gone with some younger guy. If we'd ever been stuffed or just ended up getting the results we actually got... people would have said 'that would never have happened if he had gone with the big name guys'.

Last edited:
If fitness had been a problem though - then really they should not have played all those friendly games right before the world cup.

-

I wonder if Capello gave all of these 30 something guys a run in the team for some sort of 'last chance... may as well give them a go' type of thing. You know like he knew they were exhausted but if he hadn't have played say Gerrard or Terry and instead gone with some younger guy. If we'd ever been stuffed or just ended up getting the results we actually got... people would have said 'that would never have happened if he had gone with the big name guys'.

I'm with you on that...The big names all played in the qualifiers and we looked pretty good (the best I can remember, in fact) because everyone followed Capello's instructions down to the last detail - same as anyone who has played under him before, which is why he won about 9 titles in 16 years(?) plus Champion's League and domestic cups.

There was outside pressure on the big names then, ie if you were not playing well for you club, Capello wouldn't pick you.
When the final 23 were chosen maybe the big names breathed a sigh of relief knowing that they were bound to be picked even if not fully fit or out of form.

During the Finals not many stuck to the tasks they were given, for example, Barry was chosen as a "holding midfielder" yet lost possession of the ball on the edge of Germany's area for the third goal - why was he there? And the forth goal - Jesus!
he had a five yard start on Ozil and still got beaten to the ball.

Last edited:
I'd be looking at 2 possibly three of this team being there for 2012 or 14, time for a clean sweep, I doubt even the media would moan at that...

It did feel like some of the players were more bothered about their ego's and bank-ability than the competition...

If Capello is true to his workd about using new players, I imagine something like this will emerge:

Hart
G. Johnson Dawson ? Ashley Cole
Theo Walcott Steven Gerrard(c) ? Adam Johnson
Wayne Rooney ?​

Really only 3 positions to cause major concern. Gerrard will naturally drop back into more of a play-maker, so Rooney will need someone else alongside or ahead of him. We definitely need new centre-backs. Hopefully Smalling can progress at United.

Well, all in all i think it's been a rather shit World Cup, as a spectacle/competition. Shit refs, shit ball, shit noise and shit attendance. All imo, of course.
The World Cup is only any good during the group stages as it throws up the odd shock. After that, the favourites for each match always win.

Glad to see our knee jerk culture is off again, suddenly we have to copy Germany regarding everything football...

I think what we needed to do was stop pushing strength over skill at school level and stop picking the same old untouchable underachievers for England...

Well, all in all i think it's been a rather shit World Cup, as a spectacle/competition. Shit refs, shit ball, shit noise and shit attendance. All imo, of course.

A big fat IMO that is. It is the 3rd highest attended world cup ever.
The ball is a scapegoat for players.
Shit refs are constant in world cup korea 2002 was far worse.
As for the noise...blow my vuvuzela.

Back
Top Bottom