pk9

Did you Say BOOTS - Pk
9 January 2004
in the boots thread
Lille, de oranje!
So Van Marwijk sounds the call to the Oranje Leuwen...Hup Holland

Holland squad
Goalkeepers:
Sander Boschker (FC Twente), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Michel Vorm (FC Utrecht)

Defenders:
Khalid Boulahrouz (Stuttgart), Edson Braafheid (Bayern Munich), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburg), Andre Ooijer (PSV Eindhoven), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax)

Midfielders:
Ibrahim Afellay (PSV Eindhoven), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Demy de Zeeuw (Ajax), Stijn Schaars (AZ Alkmaar), Wesley Sneijder (Inter Milan), Mark van Bommel (Bayern Munich), Rafael van der Vaart (Real Madrid)

Forwards:
Ryan Babel (Liverpool), Eljero Elia (Hamburg), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (AC Milan), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich), Robin van Persie (Arsenal).

How has Stekelenburg been playing? Has he developed into a quality keeper? We know the veteran Boschker won the league with Twente this season but I can't help but think van der sar would still have a LOT to offer this team, wouldn't he?

He would still be #1 had he not retired and bring a wealth of experience and quality. I wonder if the goalkeeper will let the Dutch down...

Im guessing you play in a diamond formation with Van Bommel - Robben - Kuyt - Sneijder in the midfield and RVP and Huntelaar attacking. Is that it?

I like this team,i think Nederlands and Spain are the best NTs in Europe, but i'm not sure about the defense.

^England is better dude.

^^Yeah sauce. In my opinion, L'Équipe is the the best sports newspaper in Europe, is the most concise and impartial one. Gazzetta dello Sport is good too, I mean, the paper version is quite good, the online version could be a bit better. I use to read both also because of Cycling, they have the best information in this sport by far. Portuguese and Spanish papers are very biased, specially the Spanish.

I like this team,i think Nederlands and Spain are the best NTs in Europe, but i'm not sure about the defense.

Agree .That central pairing of Mathisjen and Ooijer wouldn't inspire confidence. Neither would van Bronckhorst and Heitinga down the flanks.

I very much agree with L equipe.... hopefully no Egos this year just hard grafting teamwork and i see the Semis in sight!!!

Oh damn, we won against Ghana 4:1 but this goal against was showing how fast our defense gets into trouble. Mathijsen and Gio both had the best view to see the striker score. Against bigger teams this defense will be breaking our neck for sure.

The lÉquipe article is way off in their line up.
Most probably the line-up is:

......................................Stekelenburg........................

van der Wiel...........Heitinga......Mathijsen......van Bronckhorst

............................ van Bommel.......de Jong................................

.........Kuyt......................Sneijder.................van der Vaart..........

................................. van Persie..................................................

When Robben is fit, he probably replaces Kuyt, then you have the same line-up as the second half against Hungary.

BTW I do not agree with the defense being suspect. In the qualifiers we got only 2 goals against in all matches! Maybe the names aren't as famous as those of the strikers, but Mathijsen is a very reliable man-marker from HSV Hamburg and Heitinga is equally releable, playing for Everton.
Getting a goal against like the one made by Ghana is an exception.
If you think back to Euro 2008, we won 3-0 and 4-1 against Italy and France respectively with almost the same defense. Only difference is that Bouhlarouz is now replaced by the very talented van der Wiel.
The defence is better now than the one that did so well against Italy and France. So I am not concerned about the big matches :)

Stekelenburg is a very talented keeper, much better than Boschker. He improved greatly last season.

Last edited:
^England is better dude.
Nah... don't agree with this one.
I think England is at most equal to Holland, as they have Terry, Gerard end Rooney, all at the centre of the pitch and although Rooney is world class, I think Holland has more World class attackers, like Robben, van der Vaart and van Persie. On midfield England has Gerard, but we have Sneijder.

han said:
If you think back to Euro 2008, we won 3-0 and 4-1 against Italy and France respectively with almost the same defense. Only difference is that Bouhlarouz is now replaced by the very talented van der Wiel.
The defence is better now than the one that did so well against Italy and France. So I am not concerned about the big matches
to be fair, it's not like italy actually tested your defensive line. we didn't even get the chance to. your pressing in our midfield was so stressing we barely managed to move the possession line in the orange midfield, nevermind trying to build a play :P

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think that Mathijsen or Gio don't have the class (anymore) to stand against world class striker. Also our keeper isn't one I would bet all my money on.

I actually think our back four will be pretty solid this World Cup. Only thing is the lack of height with Heitinga and Mathijsen.

Stekelenburg is a very talented keeper, much better than Boschker. He improved greatly last season.

I hope this is true because I want to see The Oranje do well but I haven't seen much of him last year or two so I don't know how much he really has improved. I'll take your word for it. :)

So you are confident in your GK and don't think van der Sar could've done better job?

It'll be interesting to see whether STekelenburg and Sergio Romero will let down their countries big hopes this year or make them proud....

I think van der Sar is still a better keeper, but he choosed to concentrate on Man Utd. He is already close to fourty years old and he was not able to combine club and international football anymore.
Van der Sar is world class and Stekelenburg is an excellent keeper, that is the difference :)

Hollands team is awsome but they are just as good as england in the major tournaments ie winning fuck all.

Maybe its hollands time this year?

Holland always entertain in the major tournaments. Obviously easier with the offensive players you possess

-------Van-Persie
Afellay--Sneijder--Robben
:...

Nah... don't agree with this one.
I think England is at most equal to Holland, as they have Terry, Gerard end Rooney, all at the centre of the pitch and although Rooney is world class, I think Holland has more World class attackers, like Robben, van der Vaart and van Persie. On midfield England has Gerard, but we have Sneijder.

Lampard > Gerrard.

Yeah but he was talking about midfield and the centre of the pitch. Lampard plays there. Gerrard is out wide cutting in.

So far, so boring ...

Come on now, show us some magic! :P

With the likes of Van Bommel, Robben, Mathijsen and V.d. Vaart in the squad, I really find myself rooting for you here. Definitely a team worthy of the title. But you gotta show some inspiration! :)

Back
Top Bottom