World Cup 2010 - Serbia Thread - Same old, same old...

Re: World Cup 2010 - Serbia Thread~

What chances does Serbia have for upcoming World Cup?We play our first game on Sunday vs. Ghana.

C'mon guys, let me hear your opinion...:)

I think they'll win their group and we'll see from there. For me one of the best teams out there that can be one of the 'surprise' packages. Problem is they'll probably run into Argentina, and I don't know how they will do then..... Certainly last WC (of course totally different situation), one can't forget what happened.....

My main worry for Serbia is this:

"OVERALL TEAM GROUP GAME DISTANCES (KM)

Denmark 165
USA 181
Ghana 226
Argentina 331
S Africa 535
Brazil 598
Spain 658
Mexico 707
New Zealand 765
Honduras 778
Slovakia 861
Nigeria 1090
Australia 1156
Japan 1381
Greece 1385
Slovenia 1393
I Coast 1420
Switzerland 1562
Uruguay 1568
S Korea 1660
Paraguay 1750
Cameroon 1938
Germany 1989
Italy 2137
England 2141
Holland 2258
Portugal 2416
France 2486
Chile 2492
Serbia 2492
N Korea 3184
Algeria 3199"

With a team like Ghana having undoubtedly huge support and playing in home continent and travelling distances extremely low, compared to Serbia who have been one of the most unfortunate in this regard, you wonder... how much of a factor this is.....

Because otherwise, if Serbian players can remain cool and not use that fiery temper which often sees them get red cards, lose it or make rash challenges, I think they are a VERY good team. A real dark-horse for this tournament.

Balanced throughout. Solid defenders, good depth and backup in case of injuries/fatigue/suspension and capable players forward as well. Good coach. For me they have everything it takes to succeed. But then there are other factors such as the above which few consider and someone like Ghana has huge advantage over.

Other problem is of course, this is a VERY tough group with 4 good teams. Really is the group of death so you never know what will happen which is why as a neutral, I'm extremely excited!! I can really see each match going either way... that's how tight and competitive it will be I think.

Nonetheless despite all this, I have high hopes for Serbians.

My worry is that many written off australia...but remember last wc,they pass through very strong group (Brasil,Croatia and Japan) also in 1/8 finals lose in last minutes (on penalty) by italians...
First game against Ghana is all for us,but also must said that last years have good results with african teams (2006 Serbia&Monetenegro against Ivore Coast 2:3 good game we lost on our mistakes like 2 penalties,last year South Africa we won 3:0 and now Cameroon 4:3).
This will be interest group definetly for football lovers,for us (fans of this National teams) just heart brake :/

Good luck Serbia. I look forward to some neat stylish technical football and a win. ;)

It'll be tough but I think you have the edge. A win would be good for applying pressure on the likes of Australia and Germany in the evening.

I hope for the best too!But our main problem was always mentality.When we win one game we always think that we are on the top of the world, but also if we lose one game we always criticize and talk bad about team.

So if we win today(I think we will), we need to be optimistic, but not too much, yet again to think rationally and not get too cocky because there is still 2 games.

NAPRED ORLOVI!

bannerwcmcopy.jpg

it ended before it really started.

Last edited:

F'n Kuzmanovic!! Some players really are weak mentally and can't handle the pressure. I always felt he was one of them and now he's gone ahead and confirmed it for me. His reaction to the whole thing is a telling story in itself as well...

Poor performance in general from Serbians though apart from one or two players. Ghana overall was the better team anyhow but there was no reason, Serbia couldn't hold on to a 0-0 draw which although not ideal, given the circumstances (being off on their day, Ghana playing well and being one man down) would've been a VERY good result and very probable given that Serbian defense is probably among best in world and very solid and it's the one thing you can RELY on them to do is to hold on. But no with a mere 5 mins to hang on... Zrdavko had other ideas with that stupid unnecessary handball. To be honest, considering how cynical it was, ref should've even sent him off for it! But I think because Serbia were already 10-men, he went for yellow card.

Lukovic despite the sending off was my MoM. Very solid! Stopped so many attacks single handedly. I can see why Antic prefers him even ahead of Subotic to partner Vidic. Was happy when Lazovic came on, Zigic offered little movement up front, wasn't even winning headers much and was on a yellow card and when you see a Serbian on a yellow card, you're always scared... :LOL: and as they've just proven again, for good reasons.

Anyway it's not over yet but now their chances are VERY slim. A draw would've been great but to gift their rivals 3 points while taking none themselves from their most important match, it's not looking good now and it looks like I'm gonna be losing some $$$ because of you guys!! :P :(

Last edited:

I would not write Serbia of, Krasic should have scored that goal and it would be other story...but i have to admit, African keepers are fantastic so far...either Nigeria, South Africa or today Ghana keeper..

Serbia can go further, only need to make pressure more on the oposite team..

btw, Kuzmanovic hand was clearly penalty but i think it was in jump so he did not know exactly ..

Serbia are overrated. Like the Ivory Coast, every tournament people expect them to be "dark horses" or a surprise package and everytime they flatter to deceive.

Serbia are overrated. Like the Ivory Coast, every tournament people expect them to be "dark horses" or a surprise package and everytime they flatter to deceive.

A bit like England then ? With kids like Matic, Batrovic , Ljajic and Sulejmani the future is very bright.

Zigic was a passenger today. I don't like the formation Antic played either. To be truthful it was an insipid performance and still there were two great chances wasted from Krasic and Zigic.

Krasic should be tucked into the midfield as an attacker. He was too peripheral today. Bring Tosic as the right winger, tuck in Jovanovic on the left an attacking diamond.

Don't give up yet anything could happen in this group but a win is needed now in the next game. :(

Yeah it's not over yet. It's just that after this, it is now very difficult.

Krasic was VERY poor. Did nothing all game basically except that one shot near the end which by the way should've been a goal for Pantelic if the idiot hadn't tried to hit it with his right-foot (outside of foot) and missing the ball. Then again, he wasn't the only ineffective player. Zigic was useless too and certain others didn't play up to ability.

@Pipa, I wouldn't say Kingson is a very good keeper or that he had a very good match. Serbia barely tested the guy. He had to make a total of one or 2 saves max and they weren't the hardest ones to make.

Enyeama and Khune on the other hand, yes I agree, they had magnificent performances and MoM material.

Kingson I don't rate much. It's a shame, Serbia never really got going and barely tested him.

Once again - huge self-confidence but with little real backup. The Serbs have nice players but underestimated Ghana completely and that cost them the match.

Anyway, 7 games already and I've got a huge concern about the world cup - the ball physique is really weird. The ball is too light, has no real "weight" in the air and is easily kicked by goalkeepers from one side of the pitch to the other. Almost every long pass is way too long and ends in the crowd and everyone can see that all teams until now need at least 20-25 minutes to get used to the ball. This ruins the game IMO and could be a big problem for the tournament along with the vuvuzela noise (hope they ban it).

Once again - huge self-confidence but with little real backup. The Serbs have nice players but underestimated Ghana completely and that cost them the match.

Anyway, 7 games already and I've got a huge concern about the world cup - the ball physique is really weird. The ball is too light, has no real "weight" in the air and is easily kicked by goalkeepers from one side of the pitch to the other. Almost every long pass is way too long and ends in the crowd and everyone can see that all teams until now need at least 20-25 minutes to get used to the ball. This ruins the game IMO and could be a big problem for the tournament along with the vuvuzela noise (hope they ban it).

Agree. The ball bounces too much and tends not to curl or deviate too much. If hit with power it will rocket but Messi yesterday was hitting the ball with fade and less power to try and get it to curl more.

Why they cannot use the Teamgeist baffles me.

The best Serbian was Milovan Rajevac, he sent Ghana out to attack and pressure the Serbian players and it worked. I was very dissapointed with Pantelic, he did very little and didn't support Zigic, instead Zigic kept having to come back and pick up the ball from midfield.

Hopefully Antic can turn it around and beat the Germans.

The best Serbian was Milovan Rajevac, he sent Ghana out to attack and pressure the Serbian players and it worked. I was very dissapointed with Pantelic, he did very little and didn't support Zigic, instead Zigic kept having to come back and pick up the ball from midfield.

Hopefully Antic can turn it around and beat the Germans.

Hahah agree that Rejevac the Ghana coach was the best Serbian.

Pantelic was average like most players. For me, he definitely had a better game than Zigic at least though. Was happy when Lazovic came on and Serbia did start looking more dangerous and at least creating a couple chances.

Today we play against Germany in Port Elizabeth (13:30h in South African time),hope we can get a draw... :)

good for Serbia to cope with the situation and they did..

thigs can complicate for Germans if they dont win against Ghana..

Becouse i think Serbia is the favourite against Australia..

Yes I think that tomorrow Ghana will win again Australia and then we will have a big final on last gameday.

Congratulations Srbija. :))

However the tempo from the team is too slow. Krasic is wasted out wide. Get Tosic in there and play Lazovic/Pantelic upfront.

Zigic did well in setting up a goal but his mobility is limited. It makes it harder for the midfield to pick out a target behind the defence.

Vidic think's he is superman. :P Could have been very costly. Maybe get Obradovic in for Kolarov who looked a bit suspect.

Lucky, lucky bastards.

I don't think so. Serbia played a good match and could have made two more goals with a bit of luck. Of course they had the advantage of a one man(with Klose acting brainless), but all in all they are no undeserved winner of this match. Congratulations.
Applause_Clap_by_DevilGman.gif

We won! I thought we will lose badly (especially when Germany beat Australia 4-0),but we played with a heart,and won.Shots of Podolski are just amazing.Hope we can get in second stage.

Napred Orlovi!

Back
Top Bottom