World Cup 2010 - The Argentina Thread - Una pasion unica

Possible formation being practiced at Ezeiza yesterday.

Argentina-1.jpg

Messi picked up a scratch in training from a robust tackle from Mascherano and it was announced as the end of the world.

Hopefully Dimichelis and Samuel come through tonight unscathed.

After last nights game, i finally saw that i was right. Milito could have been used in a 433 with the front three consisting of Milito - Higuain - Messi. He really tends to hug the line just like henry used to do.
Maradona is such a jackass...

After last nights game, i finally saw that i was right. Milito could have been used in a 433 with the front three consisting of Milito - Higuain - Messi. He really tends to hug the line just like henry used to do.
Maradona is such a jackass...

The formation could well end up a 4-3-3 but it's more likely that will feature Tevez or Aguero down the left flank for their additional pace.

There are a multitude of permutations upfront and luckily enough the quality of players to do it is there.

Aguero and Tevez can play down either flank or in attacking midfield role or up top by themselves or alone or off Higuain or Milito.

Indeed Messi can do the same or Higuain play on either flank as well. So long as the players move and rotate for each other and Maxi and di Maria like to attack late into the box scoring goals should not be a problem.

Problem is the defensive flanks but both so called fullbacks will be relied on to stay at home.

I still can't believe that with a pool of talent such as Argentinas, Jonas Gutierrez is a sure fire starter.

The guy is absolutely rubbish.

He's just in there to do all the dirty work for Veron.

Indeed he is. He cannot be faulted for his workrate and speed ,tackling back and covering the right side of midfield.

He is certainly not the best technically, but he is a set part of the gameplan and to be fair to him has done creditably well in his last games against Uruguay and Germany.

Last edited:
Argentina thumped Canada 5-0 but could have been 10-0 and a nice way to round off the 200th anniversary celebrations. Pipita missed some chances.

Otherwise great confidence boost for di Maria, Tevez, Aguero. Star of the show though was 20 year old Pastore running the midfield as he has done for Palermo this season with a great range of passing and skills. When he teams up with Banega in 2011 Argentina will have a superb young midfield of the future.

Messi was kept wrapped in cotton wool.

All the goals and highlights:
YouTube - Argentina Canada 5:0

di Maria outside of the left foot cracker the pick of the goals.

Negatives the performances of unsurprisingly Veron. Bolatti and Palermo.

Formation was attacking and fluid:
-------------------------Romero----------------------------
Gutierrez--------Burdisso-----Otamendi--------Heinze-
-----------------------Mascherano------------------------
-----Maxi-----------------------------------diMaria-------
-------------------------Pastore---------------------------
---------------Tevez----------------Higuain---------------

Bolatti replaced Masche and was pretty poor. Veron replaced Maxi and was poor. Palermo came on for Higuain and was average mssing one good chance.

These three are however now stuck with the squad for better or worse.

Squad Numbers:
1.Diego Pozo
2.Martín Demichelis
3.Clemente Rodríguez
4.Nicolás Burdisso
5.Mario Bolatti
6.Gabriel Heinze
7.Angel Di María
8.Juan Sebastián Verón
9.Gonzalo Higuaín
10.Lionel Messi
11.Carlos Tevez
12.Sergio Romero
13.Walter Samuel
14.Javier Mascherano
15.Nicolás Otamendi
16.Sergio Agüero
17.Jonás Gutiérrez
18.Martín Palermo
19.Diego Milito
20.Maximiliano Rodríguez
21.Ariel Garcé
22.Javier Pastore
23.Mariano Andújar

Last edited:
:LOL: Its ridiculous the amount of talent you have!

Nice of you to say so YoungGun. :) Pastore was linked with Manchester United last summer for £7M but wanted regular first team football and unlike many young players from South America made the right decision.

The future is indeed bright with kids like Perotti, Gaitan, Araujo, Galeano , Bertoglio and Zuculini coming through just to reel off a few.

Credit has to go to the youth trainers at all the Apertura clubs and Pekerman and Tocalli in getting so many youngsters through into the first team from the youth age group sides. And sticking with the philosophy of passing football and concentration on technique.

Just need some young fullbacks to emerge. Aside from Ansaldi who is excellent and should have been picked there are no natural fullbacks emerging.

Lucas Barrios scored for Paraguay and had Maradona had any sense wuld have capped him and secured him for Argentina ahead of Palermo.

Unusual requests for Team Argentina at their Pretoria training base:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wo...ed-Argentinas-training-base-South-Africa.html

Diego has also apologized for running over a cameramans foot near the training ground at Ezeiza.He has also stated if we win this summer he will run round Buenos Aires in the nude.

A sight for sore eyes..... ;)

Some more pre 2006 excitement:
YouTube - Promo Quilmes Mundial- No me arrepiento de este amor

Last edited:
maradona said last night his squad is better than the 86` WC and are miles ahead of those players. he loves adding pressure lol even messi wants England final too. How sad wanting to write someone elses` history make ur own. I do have family that goes to Argieland very often and they tell me Maradona is still very popular in demand legend there. Pero chupa bien... y siqa chupando :LOL:

Well it's not like Messi wants to score a hand of god goal against England to win! :P Tho I think he's capable of it and already scored a similar goal before. :LOL:

So he would be making his own history this time properly by terrorizing defenses with his intelligence, movement, agility, and overall footballing ability.

Yeah and I do wonder, if Argentina were to have a STINKER of a World cup and with Maradonna it is possible though I think the quality of the players are SO ridiculously high (even after strange omissions like Cambiasso) and their group so easy that it's very unlikely that they screw up bad! But if that were to happen, how much would Diego still be ADORED by the country? Would they not be a bit bitter towards him thinking, 'thank you, you once made us! As a great player, and now you've ruined us as a coach.' Sure his popularity would go down though it's at an iconic legendary status, so it'll always be there.

But I think they'll still go through and do well anyway (they've had favourable draw) and so Maradonna won't screw up badly even though he probably is THE worst coach at these finals.

Last edited:
Personally I think Maradona simply by his presence is taking a lot of the spotlight off the players especially Messi.

No one is talking about him. Messi is just saying like most footballers do what the press want to hear.

The coaching is not being taken by Diego , but he can be a great motivator and the motivation for him would be to suceed as with Beckenbauer as player and coach.

My real regret right now is the omission of Banega as the extra midfielder and Ansaldi as an out and out fullback.

At Pretoria Jonas has been played as the rightback and Maxi Rodriguez as the right sided midfielder in a 4-4-2 and the diamond has been regularly practiced.

It has even been suggested Pastore will start over Veron now as Diego has been very impressed with him with Aguero or Tevez taking over the attacking midfielder role later on.

Diego Milito did pick up a slight ankle knock after a challenge from Ariel Garce but should be perfectly fine after a day or two's rest.

DOLOR-Milito.jpg

The orange and blue's practicing at the HPC Pretoria:
PRETORIA.jpg

You know thats the funny thing, I can actually see them doing well and while PLF is considering the consequences of Maradona failings what if he succeeds and brings home the World Cup :SHOCK: I think apart from Spain and Brazil I think they can do as well as anyone and if they get the right breaks it could be their year.

Yah that's a possibility and I can see Argentina getting those 'breaks'. I mean already I think they've had a favourable draw. Not just for the group they're in but who they're likely to face in the next stage.

if Argies win it will be about maradona ! anyone catches tyc tv they show the team practicing live ...weird

Formation being practiced for Nigeria:

--------------------Romero----------------
------Demichelis-------Samuel----Heinze----

Jonas-----Mascherano----Veron------Di Maria
-------------------Messi--------------------

------Tevez----------------Higauin----------

Jonas to drop back when required. Very similar to the system when Sorin used to play out of the back four as an extra lateral ie side midfielder.

Training at Pretoria:
YouTube - Argentina abrió sus puertas, vea los entrenamientos, entrevistas,

Injury news. D.Milito and Garce are still nursing slight knocks.

Dr.Socrates has said he cannot support Brazil because of their boring football.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...2010/3000625/Socrates-Im-bored-of-Brazil.html

For those who do not know who Socrates is he was a member of the best team not to win a WC. This from a fanatical Argentina fan

YouTube - Brasil 1982 - The 11 Greatest Goals of Brasil 1982's Magic 11

Back
Top Bottom