World Cup 2010 - The Argentina Thread - Una pasion unica

Why is Saddam Hussein coaching you guys?

960x1.jpg
saddam-hussein.jpg

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/look...lookalikes-diego-maradona-saddam-hussein.html

:LMAO:
I would like to see the attack like this

Messi---D. Milito (Tevez)--- Di Maria

Yep, he missed some chances. But he was the only piece of quality in the match. Argentina should up their level two or three notches if they want to do somethin important.

Very unconvincing. Don't see what all the fuss about Argentina is.

Maradona playing with one midfielder at 1-0, for the last 20 mins. :LOL:

Spain/Brazil still my bet, much more solid units than this Maradona mess.

Very unconvincing. Don't see what all the fuss about Argentina is.

Maradona playing with one midfielder at 1-0, for the last 20 mins. :LOL:

Spain/Brazil still my bet, much more solid units than this Maradona mess.

Of course they only created a hatful of chances. :ROLL: Maxi can tuck in midfield. Most of the Argentine players can genuinely play at several positions.

Drekkard I know you have a bias here but most of the Argentina team played well.

Only Veron and Tevez were below par.

The result is the important thing. Three points.

Yes we’d like to have scored five or six .Why ? Because as Argentina fans we want to win with style with panache and flair.

The MOTM was Enyeama. Don’t worry about Pipita. He did a lot of sterling work in the midfield and the flanks and like any good striker he was in the right place.

Messi was superb but once or twice we could do with more movement around him.

I will say Veron did misplace several passes and at times he does slow the play and Tevez once or twice held onto the ball instead of releasing quickly and tried to do much on his own.

di Maria set up one great chance but the ball went through Leo mainly upfront .We could do better to utilize him more in the next game perhaps by reverting to a front two with di Maria and Maxi on the flanks.

Great set piece work ie it has been worked on. Gutierrez defensively…. So so perhaps Burdisso for the next time we need to play a more attacking opponent or Clemente.

Personally I would have liked to see Pastore come on at half time for Veron and Aguero for Tevez with about twenty to go.
We need to bleed these players in as the tourney progresses.

Pastore would have torn the Nigerian defence to pieces Veron is sadly nowhere where he should be.

Our players did tire later on with the altitude but this will be less and less of a problem as they get accustomed to it under match conditions.

And what great team spirit and camraderie. The unit is together as one which is important.

Great support in the stadium though I find it disgraceful that the horns are allowed to do so when the national anthems are being played. Disrespectful.

Job done. Greece were shockingly poor so South Korea really cannot be judged yet but I would expect them to sit back much like Nigeria but with more threat and pace coming forward though at the back a couple of flighted crosses could have resulted in Gekas pinching a goal.

Saludos hermanos y hermanas. ;)

messi could have had a hat trick if it wasnt for the keeper on nigeria... i think the guys saying argentina dont look special are blind and need to get there eyes checked, they had a pleothra of chances and looked solid in defense

Not too shabby except for Jonas 1st half defence. Veron was very sloppy and Messi needs to calm down.I think he is feeling the pressure a little I say this because if he had these chances in the Blaugrana outfit he would have put at least one of them away. Enyeama was superb though and I doubt every keeper Argentina come up against will be that good on the day.

Cambiasso and Zanetti would have completed this team. All in all I am happy that we won and created good oportunities. The lack of structure in Argentinas play will serve them well.

Greece were shockingly poor so South Korea really cannot be judged yet

And Nigeria were any good that you can do this big analysis?
Common South Korea were great, lovely offensive movement, solid passing, they also had their job done.

But this is the Argentina thread, so lets go back on topic, I'm not that disappointed at Argentina, I've heard it was a mess, and it really was,
but individually your players can make the difference, but they need to step up if they wanna make it,
Messi is doing his thing, but the others seem out of place, wasn't impressed by anybody else in creativeness and sparky football but their fighting spirit is on fire, that you gotta give credit to Maradona.
And whats up with Jonas, that side is wide-open, kinda of like Michel Bastos, a decent winger can do some serious damage there, perhaps Ribery's chance to get his game on track again, who knows :P

Argentina impressed me in the first 15 minutes then they went down in terms of organization and rithm. The tactics seemed a bit anarchic to be honest, I mean the ball seldom reached Di María (when did he made some pretty partnership plays with Messi). Honestly, I miss Zanetti and Cambiasso, the team would be much more balanced than actually. I don't know what Verón is doing in there. Once again, Higuain failed a lot of chances (kudos to Enyeama) as he failed several times at Madrid in crucial occasions. I would love to see Milito in the eleven.

However, those 15 minutes made me dream on a great football perspectives and a possible champion.

¡Dale Argentina! (and please give the ball to Angelito!)

Yeah imagine Cambiasso and Zanetti in this team!! They would be so much better! And more complete! damn!

I love him in a way but am still pissed off at Maradonna for that!

What I do like tho is just how CLOSE he seems to the players. The players obviously don't see him as just a coach like let's say Uruguayans do I feel with Tabarez or French with Domenech. He seems like he's FRIENDS with every single one of his players and is like a 'father' to them and LOVES them and they love him back! IT's a very special relationship. Not one you typically see in coach/player, maybe not as professional but more 'friendly' which has I think both ups and downs.

I dont know what some of you guys have. man, it was the first game and the first game of a tournament is always the most difficult one. besides, argentina played really well in the first half (in the first quarter in particular) and created a lot of chances. so do you bother about the result or the way they played? 3 points and a solid play. so what more could you ask for? if milito had started instead of higuain the margin would be much bigger. job done, lets move on.

And Nigeria were any good that you can do this big analysis?
Common South Korea were great, lovely offensive movement, solid passing, they also had their job done.

But this is the Argentina thread, so lets go back on topic, I'm not that disappointed at Argentina, I've heard it was a mess, and it really was,
but individually your players can make the difference, but they need to step up if they wanna make it,
Messi is doing his thing, but the others seem out of place, wasn't impressed by anybody else in creativeness and sparky football but their fighting spirit is on fire, that you gotta give credit to Maradona.
And whats up with Jonas, that side is wide-open, kinda of like Michel Bastos, a decent winger can do some serious damage there, perhaps Ribery's chance to get his game on track again, who knows :P

Let the blind see only what they want to see. :ROLL:

A mess ? It only became disorganized in the last ten minutes or so mainly due to players becoming tired by the altitude.

People seem to think this is the only way Argentina will play during the tournament. If required Burdisso or Clemente will come in at right back with Jonas shuffling up on right side of the midfield with Maxi and di Maria returning to an attacking role.

Tactics not working ? The front three rotated around nicely and Messi at last had space to work in. Aguero would be a better bet for Tevez who tried too much. Keep things simple son.

The reason Nigeria froze might be down to the names they see on the team sheet esp.Messi . It restricted their natural attacking inclinations for fear of what may happen at the back.

South Korea did the job. It could have been 5-0 but Greece were truly awful .Probably the worst side so far in the tournament. Nigeria are a step up in calibre of opposition.

And a slow start is no bad thing. Rather this than playing magnificently and then falling early in the KO stages like last time.

Pastore for Veron is a must. He will bring that control and threat. The Palermo president and manager and many others already see him as a better player technically than Kaka.

Such a shame Ever is not there. That midfield would be deadly and will be post 2011. :)

Thanks for all the nice comments Ernestito , Gomito#10, PIPA,PLF, TSO,zeemeister. :TU:

ejt1lt.gif

Last edited:
What a match from the Nigerian GK.
Ragentina could have won 6 or 7 nil.
Jonas Guitterez was the weak spot in the team.
I think Messi played a litle bit too selfish at times, i was great but too individualistic.

yes gerd, jonas was the weak spot because he played as a RB (what I really didnt understand). I hope maradona will think about this position and make a change next week.

Most argentine players simply would not pass the ball to Di Maria, no matter how wide open he was. There must be some ego problems in the squad...

I don't think so, I actually quite like the spirit Maradona has created, it could potentially work. They all seem a tight nit unit.

Let the blind see only what they want to see. :ROLL:

Oh common mate, I wrote I was impressed by their fighting spirit, and the unit Maradona made, didn't I? Maybe I'm writing it wrong?
I'm also very impressed with Messi, he is doing his usual all around attacking.
But you gotta see the down sides too, your attack rotating is pretty nice idea, thats why I like seeing South American teams kick some Europeans ass.
I'm brazilian but don't think I'm bitter towards Argentina, I actually enjoy them a lot and wanna see them better, of course at the end, I'll support Brazil.
But that rotating wasn't really working except for Messi and Higuain who had some pretty decent right flank to the box running, but Tevez was kinda of lost and Di Maria wasn't in the game that much.
And the mess I'm talking about is that right side, Obasi had quite few chances there, sometimes he was totally free.

Oh common mate, I wrote I was impressed by their fighting spirit, and the unit Maradona made, didn't I? Maybe I'm writing it wrong?
I'm also very impressed with Messi, he is doing his usual all around attacking.
But you gotta see the down sides too, your attack rotating is pretty nice idea, thats why I like seeing South American teams kick some Europeans ass.
I'm brazilian but don't think I'm bitter towards Argentina, I actually enjoy them a lot and wanna see them better, of course at the end, I'll support Brazil.
But that rotating wasn't really working except for Messi and Higuain who had some pretty decent right flank to the box running, but Tevez was kinda of lost and Di Maria wasn't in the game that much.
And the mess I'm talking about is that right side, Obasi had quite few chances there, sometimes he was totally free.

The structure was there sauce. It was unorthodox certainly and did disappear around seventy minutes ie Maxi for Veron ?

Yes I and virtually everyone else sees Gutierrez as a liability at right back forcing Dimichelis to come across more than once and Heinze late on forcing Mascherano to come out wide.

A pity Angeleri was not yet fully fit.

Agree di Maria tucking into a midfield position is not the best place to utilize him. He is better out wide to give width.

And Veron is a liability.Pastore needs to come in immediately. Tevez was too selfish at times.

Nonetheless I am sure these things will be refined and the team grow.

I think this tournament will be a big one for CONMEBOL at large after a very poor showing relatively speaking in 2006. With us hopefully top of the pile. ;)

Most argentine players simply would not pass the ball to Di Maria, no matter how wide open he was. There must be some ego problems in the squad...

di Maria was asked to tuck into midfield alongside Veron at times airjoca.

Which I agree is not the best use for him. Out wide he can wreak havoc and coming in off the flank as you've seen many a time this season. ;)

His space was squeezed by the three ahead of him ie:
--------Higuain(free role)--------------Tevez(free role/RM)
---------------------------Messi--------------------------
---------di Maria--------------------------Veron----------
--------------------------Mascherano----------------------

He did what was required of him and was thanked for it by Diego at halftime and the end of the game for self sacrifice. The couple of times he came into the box he set up a great chance for Leo with a lovely one two.

Perhaps we will see him played as an orthodox left winger in the next game amigo. :)

I would love to see Pastore instead of Veron. He would be in my team anyday.

But apart from the experience, JSV has superior defensive abilities and I suppose that's one reason, he's starting. If Pastore was to start instead of him, then Argentina basically has Mascherano and 4 defenders to do almost all the defending for the team (Of course the whole team attacks and defends together but I mean only 5 actually know how to defend lool like put a tackle in, mark, cover, etc. ) and of course one of those back 4 at least for now seems to be Jonas anyway so really that would mean 4 players know how to defend in 10 outfield players which is just too crazy for even Maradonna.

It's the only reason I can see Veron ahead of Pastore.

Of course all this didn't have to be a problem. Argentina could've had Zanetti at rigtht back with Cambiasso and Mascherano in middle (or Banega) with Pastore a little further forward.

Now that'd be a solid defensive and attacking unit. Experienced. deadly. Energetic.

But whatever, what's done is done. I would've thought Pastore would come in for Veron as a sub at least tho but he brought Maxi on which I also found very strange!

I would love to see Pastore instead of Veron. He would be in my team anyday.

But apart from the experience, JSV has superior defensive abilities and I suppose that's one reason, he's starting. If Pastore was to start instead of him, then Argentina basically has Mascherano and 4 defenders to do almost all the defending for the team (Of course the whole team attacks and defends together but I mean only 5 actually know how to defend lool like put a tackle in, mark, cover, etc. ) and of course one of those back 4 at least for now seems to be Jonas anyway so really that would mean 4 players know how to defend in 10 outfield players which is just too crazy for even Maradonna.

It's the only reason I can see Veron ahead of Pastore.

Of course all this didn't have to be a problem. Argentina could've had Zanetti at rigtht back with Cambiasso and Mascherano in middle (or Banega) with Pastore a little further forward.

Now that'd be a solid defensive and attacking unit. Experienced. deadly. Energetic.

But whatever, what's done is done. I would've thought Pastore would come in for Veron as a sub at least tho but he brought Maxi on which I also found very strange!

I wish Veron could be classified as a defensive midfielder. But he lacks the stamina and pace now PLF. His role is akin to Pirlo but he's not as good as he was.

Pastore at least has the pace to get round the pitch and make a nuisance of himself.

Banega would have been ideal. He can act as a DM though he is still rash and he can also dictate play from deep or attack going box to box a la Redondo.

I agree playing Pastore might be ovely aggressive PLF but then you could play another real defender at RB ie 5 stay at homes.

I cannot wait for next year if I'm still around for Banega to team up with Pastore. Both aged 21 they should be the bedrock of the Argentine midfielder for 2014 and 2018.

Veron did pick up an injury yeserday which is why he was subbed. Maybe this will be the chance Pastore needs. However Tevez could fill that role if required.

Last edited:
di Maria was asked to tuck into midfield alongside Veron at times airjoca.

Which I agree is not the best use for him. Out wide he can wreak havoc and coming in off the flank as you've seen many a time this season. ;)

His space was squeezed by the three ahead of him ie:
--------Higuain(free role)--------------Tevez(free role/RM)
---------------------------Messi--------------------------
---------di Maria--------------------------Veron----------
--------------------------Mascherano----------------------

Well, that is exactly how he played at Benfica:

--------Cardozo--------------Saviola(free role/RM)
---------------------------Aimar--------------------------
---------di Maria--------------------------Ramires----------
--------------------------Javi Garcia----------------------

You were probably looking at the team as a whole, while we here at Portugal were looking to Di Maria in particular because he plays for Benfica, and everyone, including Porto and Sporting fans kind of agree that he simply did not receive the ball, especially from Heinze, Veron and Mascherano. He would make runs, ask for the ball, but even though many times he was wide open, they would pass back towards the defenders, or to the centre, away from him.

When I watched the game I was thinking "am I paranoid or are they avoiding Di Maria?", then as I read through many comments on Portuguese forums I realized I wasn't the only one to notice it.

Maybe it's because he's the "new guy", the older core team members are kind of ignoring him on the pitch...

Well, that is exactly how he played at Benfica:

--------Cardozo--------------Saviola(free role/RM)
---------------------------Aimar--------------------------
---------di Maria--------------------------Ramires----------
--------------------------Javi Garcia----------------------

You were probably looking at the team as a whole, while we here at Portugal were looking to Di Maria in particular because he plays for Benfica, and everyone, including Porto and Sporting fans kind of agree that he simply did not receive the ball, especially from Heinze, Veron and Mascherano. He would make runs, ask for the ball, but even though many times he was wide open, they would pass back towards the defenders, or to the centre, away from him.

When I watched the game I was thinking "am I paranoid or are they avoiding Di Maria?", then as I read through many comments on Portuguese forums I realized I wasn't the only one to notice it.

Maybe it's because he's the "new guy", the older core team members are kind of ignoring him on the pitch...

In training and previous games they have used the idea of Messi as a decoy giving di Maria the ball plenty of times to work his magic.

There may be a seniority thing airjoca ie pass to Tevez upfront or Messi ahead of di Maria but when you're on the pitch you choose the best pass you see not on I wnat to pass to him but not to him.

Jorge Jesus allowed di Maria a free role too with Ramires providing far more cover than Veron while Angel has/had to stay rooted in the middle third for much of the game.

I really hope he does get a chance to play out wide in the front three and show what he can do.

It's nice to have you on board airjoca. :)

I wish Veron could be classified as a defensive midfielder. But he lacks the stamina and pace now PLF. His role is akin to Pirlo but he's not as good as he was.

Pastore at least has the pace to get round the pitch and make a nuisance of himself.

Banega would have been ideal. He can act as a DM though he is still rash and he can also dictate play from deep or attack going box to box a la Redondo.

I agree playing Pastore might be ovely aggressive PLF but then you could play another real defender at RB ie 5 stay at homes.

Fully agree on everything.

And yeah Veron can't be classified as that. But I think it's fair to say he does at least have superior defensive skills to Pastore.

I cannot wait for next year if I'm still around for Banega to team up with Pastore. Both aged 21 they should be the bedrock of the Argentine midfielder for 2014 and 2018.

Pfft... by then Argentina has produced numerous other talents! :P

I'd say that's a little too long-sighted? (? lol I mean opposite of short-sighted. :p ) looking too far into the future and who knows what shape/condition these players are in by then. Javier, I have more faith in but Banega I think has the tendency and personality to self-destruct (Despite the recent improvements) so I can see him being on TOP of the world and reaching his peak but also become shit, quite unpredictable and unstable.

But yeah I see your point. In theory, they should and hopefully will. ;)

What's that about next year though? Who's to say Maradona won't still be in charge and if he is or whoever else is, would Ever get his chance? Perhaps he'll still be ignored. I hope not though especially if he has another season like he did last.

Fully agree on everything.

And yeah Veron can't be classified as that. But I think it's fair to say he does at least have superior defensive skills to Pastore.

Pfft... by then Argentina has produced numerous other talents! :P

I'd say that's a little too long-sighted? (? lol I mean opposite of short-sighted. :p ) looking too far into the future and who knows what shape/condition these players are in by then. Javier, I have more faith in but Banega I think has the tendency and personality to self-destruct (Despite the recent improvements) so I can see him being on TOP of the world and reaching his peak but also become shit, quite unpredictable and unstable.

But yeah I see your point. In theory, they should and hopefully will. ;)

What's that about next year though? Who's to say Maradona won't still be in charge and if he is or whoever else is, would Ever get his chance? Perhaps he'll still be ignored. I hope not though especially if he has another season like he did last.

Diego has done better than expected but I would still expect to see a 'proper' coach appointed after or maybe before the Copa depending on the WC results.

If Diego triumphs he could be coach in perpetuity. :P

2014 in Brazil this side will be at or near it's peak and even by 2018 but you are right the conveyor belt of talent has never been this great. Many thanks to the academy coaches throughout Argentina and the organizing work of Pekerman and Tocalli.

And you are right players do have up's and downs but Ever has so much natural ability. He only started playing aged 16. Like all great players ie Tostao, Beckenbauer to name just two he has time on the ball and an effortlessness in what he does which is perhas why he has not worked on his game enough.

WC2014 possibles:
GK Romero / Carizzo/ Gabbarini
DF Angeleri/?/Garay/Galeano/Forlin/Gonzalo Rodriguez/Ansaldi/
Monzon
MF Mascherano/Zuculini/Messi/Perotti/di Maria/ Banega/ Pastore/
Gaitan
FW Higuain/ Aguero/ Tevez/ Jara/

:P Then there could be the younger Zuculini, Salvio, Cristaldo if he decides to learn to pass more often......

Personally 2010 is a bonus 2014 and 2018 more realistic but it's al ong time to wait. No senior titles since 1993 for all the talent certainly since 2004. :( Great sucess u20 and Olympics which is nice but like a tasty snack not fully satisfying. ;)

I was also upset honestly when I read that he moves to kiev. I would love to see him playing in turkey or another southern country. nothing against the ukraine but its freaking cold there and their style is also different and I dont know if that suits him.

Back
Top Bottom