World Cup 2010 - The Argentina Thread - Una pasion unica

Messi needs to remember it is a team game ie pass to someone in a better position than you.

Mexico are very unlucky indeed. Hit the crossbar early on and has some great chances to go ahead and then offer up a present as well.

We played poorly. Perhaps because we took our foot off the pedal but still we did not keep the ball in the second half and just invited pressure.

Romero needs to sharpen up. Dimi has another brainfart instead of just clearing the ball. He then gets rolled so easily for Hernandez's effort.

Poor subs. Gutierrez lost the ball. Veron misplaced passes and cannot press when we required defensive coverage.

Messi just walking about along with Higuain who should have buried his headed chance.

Otamendi has ability. But as I warned he keeps diving onto the floor and trying to anticipate too much. The sooner he gets to AC Milan and is coached by Baresi the better.

That should be basic for a defender.

Pastore needed to come on earlier to hold the ball or Bolatti to shield the ball. Masche has so much work to do and luckily no booking so QF here he comes.

Maxi reasonable coverage and kept the ball. Poor decision to take Tevez off . Lose his defensive effort and desire to score. In that case bring on Kun.

We did not shift out of second gear but we could have been punished. Am I too harsh ?

The players need to realize and I am sure they do that need to step up their effort 100% for Germany and work esp. on that defence.

I'd even get Samuel in alongside Burdisso. Bolatti infront of Masche for balance.... Heinze was superb though.

Scoreline may be 3-1 but that was fortuitous. Our worst performance so far.

My sincere apologies to the fans of El Tri. That was a bit of a tainted win. We desperately need technology in the game.

Thanks zeemeister ,ronaldinho_23 but we need to really improve in defence.

Didn't see the whole game but i shouted at Tevez a couple of times - way too selfish. And to me Higuain is dead. That's a pretty weak striker; did sublime on his goal but soem really clumsy moments tonight.

Wouldn't want him on my team; decent striker but... just lacks brilliance.

Didn't see any of Messi's touches so can't comment on those :) He was selfish at Barcelona too im plenty of moments through the season.

I'm loving it but I can't personally support a side that has the likes of Heinze, Tevez and Mascherano in it. Seeing Mascherano lift the WC would probably make me slit my wrists.

Facing Germany will be a very interesting test. Traditionally, the side with the best defence has won the WC, which is why I still have reservations over this team. It's the latter stages where missing the composure and experience of the likes of Zanetti and Cambiasso may be costly.

Didn't see the whole game but i shouted at Tevez a couple of times - way too selfish. And to me Higuain is dead. That's a pretty weak striker; did sublime on his goal but soem really clumsy moments tonight.

Didn't see any of Messi's touches so can't comment on those :) He was selfish at Barcelona too im plenty of moments through the season.

Pipita is a classy striker but he looked clumsy at times today. Second half he and Messi were often to be seen walking around the halfway line.

Don't know if they thought at 3-0 the game was over and they felt they should save themselves for the QF.

I'm sure they know they have to improve 100% for that game. We did win in Munich in March 1-0 against a pretty similar German side plus Ballack and restricted them to one chance.

To be honest Diego Milito should be #1 striker and have Higuain's position but Gonzalo is great anyway and still very young. But I've no doubt Diego is more clinical as of this moment and would be doing EVEN better. And Maradonna taking off Tevez and bringing in Veron (rather than Pastore or Aguero) messed things up and Argentina lost their edge and from then on looked only like an average side and went under pressure from Mexico and conceded as well.

I didn't mind the Jonas sub much because he will run his ass off and though he barely got the ball under control, he did a lot of running and pressing when Mexico had possession. Tevez shouldn't have gone off. If anything Higuain could've instead since Carlitos works harder. No wonder he wasn't happy about it but whatever it's the coach's decision, he shouldn't give any attitude.

To be honest Diego Milito should be #1 striker and have Higuain's position but Gonzalo is great anyway and still very young. But I've no doubt Diego is more clinical as of this moment and would be doing EVEN better. And Maradonna taking off Tevez and bringing in Veron (rather than Pastore or Aguero) messed things up and Argentina lost their edge and from then on looked only like an average side and went under pressure from Mexico and conceded as well.

I didn't mind the Jonas sub much because he will run his ass off and though he barely got the ball under control, he did a lot of running and pressing when Mexico had possession. Tevez shouldn't have gone off. If anything Higuain could've instead since Carlitos works harder. No wonder he wasn't happy about it but whatever it's the coach's decision, he shouldn't give any attitude.

Yes the first sign of dissent in any player. Pastore needs his chance to control the ball.

If only Banega was available he could dictate play from deep and his passing is superb and unlike old man Veron can actually move and defend or attack if required.

Exactly! Oh well, no Cambiasso, no Banega, no Zanetti and Argentina still look good but like someone said earlier, it'll get tougher and tougher and that's when those players perhaps would've made the difference. Let's see if The Albiceleste can go all the way.

I expect Germany to give them their first REAL test.

Exactly! Oh well, no Cambiasso, no Banega, no Zanetti and Argentina still look good but like someone said earlier, it'll get tougher and tougher and that's when those players perhaps would've made the difference. Let's see if The Albiceleste can go all the way.

I expect Germany to give them their first REAL test.

Me too. I expect our boys though to step it up .Diefo remembers 1990 well for one thing. ;)

I would not mind seeing di Maria v Boateng or Tevez and Messi running at and beyond Mertesacker and Friedrich.

YouTube - Heinze bitch slaps the camera guy

Have to say el Gringo played really well tonight.

I'm loving it but I can't personally support a side that has the likes of Heinze, Tevez and Mascherano in it. Seeing Mascherano lift the WC would probably make me slit my wrists.

Facing Germany will be a very interesting test. Traditionally, the side with the best defence has won the WC, which is why I still have reservations over this team. It's the latter stages where missing the composure and experience of the likes of Zanetti and Cambiasso may be costly.

:LOL: it`s been walk in the park which will bite them in the arse . I think wc`06 will repeat and Heinze won`t slap a camera it will be the German staff again , did you see blanco n argie staff fluffing feathers. Argie love sparing

m7m_teddy said:

Didn't see any of Messi's touches so can't comment on those He was selfish at Barcelona too im plenty of moments through the season.
TBF tevez,messi and higuain has an abnormal amount of pressure on them....just like the Nike commercial write your future. Their family at home will be recognized on another lvl. tevez scored 2 goals and maradona still pulled him off Higuain is not selfish at all he`s on to give messi a shout .I think maradona wants to give the torch to the #10 messi and tevez does what he normally does scores alone. Egos are there and hopefully messi can take the torch so the coach can go back to living the life as a King w/o the coke

@brunnoce :LOL: wasn`t aware of cameras ...

Last edited:
If you brunnoce have nothing useful to contribute don't bother.

:ROLL: The Mexican bench instigated the incident.

Fouls committed:
Mexico 27 fouls just 1 yellow card Argentina 10 fouls, none

Unlike a certain team that likes to handball the ball and commit 80 fouls in 90 minutes to win a game.

Messi was hacked at early on by Torrado no card. It's been the same against Greece and Nigeria. Credit the South Koreans at least they did not try and play dirty.

Messi needs protection. Diego knows what happened to him and sees it being repeated.

All this I'd hate to see Argentina doing this that and the other.

1966 ? England 33 fouls Argentina 19 fouls. But Ramsey describes the Argentines as animals. Nice and classy. The referee sending off Rattin even though he could not speak or understand Spanish nice.

Last edited:
To be honest Diego Milito should be #1 striker and have Higuain's position but Gonzalo is great anyway and still very young. But I've no doubt Diego is more clinical as of this moment and would be doing EVEN better.

Dear Mr. PLF,

While I agree on most of your analysis on footballers and tactics in general (a long way since the legendary PLF option file thread, in a time I still had time to play video games with a lot of joy), I have to disagree with you on that one.

Look, me beeing a Racing Club fan, I would really love for Diego Milito to play for our National Team and shine just as he does at club level. No other player has made me more proud of rooting for my favourite club than him.

Most of the time, I agree with you, and most of the time I also disagree with our coach, but not on this one. Diego Milito has countlessly proved to be really a lot better suited for fast, direct and counter-attacking style of football, which is a brand our team does not play at all. The slow buildup, short passes through the middle style of play of our team really brings the worst out of him, and his confidence is just not the same.

He, more than any other player on our team, suffers from the change from "small club mentality" in which he has been always deployed (even now at Inter where Mourinho's teams give away possession and play 10 man behind the ball unless they're playing the absolute worst and then its 50-50 lol) to the Real Madrid/Barcelona style which our team, ever since Bilardo left, tries to employ.

Nice talking to you.

Cheers!

I agree. Gonzalo is more suited to the rapid fire quick moving attacking and getting in behind at pace of the other defence and collective working across the final third interchanging with Messi and Tevez.

He's an excellent player but even when he was called on in the Copa2007 after Crespo was injured he could not produce.

Who knows ? He may pop up with a critical goal when required. ;)

Argentina to play Napoli this year ?

Following Diego Armando Maradona’s appeal to Napoli, President Aurelio De Laurentiis has invited Argentina for a friendly at the San Paolo.

Former Napoli legend Maradona is one of the favourites to win the World Cup with his nation, but confessed to a secret ambition.

It is and always has been my dream to be Coach of Napoli,” said El Pibe de Oro.

“I would love to see the San Paolo packed to the rafters again. I watch Napoli’s games on television and hate to see areas of the stands empty.”

President De Laurentiis heard the plea and has a proposal for the mercurial manager.

“Dearest Diego, it is so exciting to see you on the touchline as the Coach of a great national team,” declared the patron in a note on the club’s official website.

“Your charisma storms the pitch and is transmitted to your players, proving contagious for the spectators too.

“Your dream shows just how much you are still tied to our colours. It’d be wonderful to embrace you in a friendly at the San Paolo with your Argentina and the gate donated to charity.

“It would represent a great moment of celebration for all the Napoli fans.”

Last edited:
Happy we are through but the germans are going to kill us if we are as sloppy.

We cannot give the ball away like that. Di Maria, Otamendi, Messi just about everyone gave away simple passes.
I'm also worried about Messi. He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone and Diego needs to make him understand that.
I love Messi and Barcelona but all the while I wanted Pastore to come on for him.

Heinze, Mascherano and Tevez were fabulous.
I wasn't much of a Heinze fan due to his reckless playing style and temper but he has matured like a fine wine.
Mascherano is working his heart out not even he will be able to cover Ozil and Muller if there form is anything like the England - Germany match.
Tevez didn't deserve to be taken off. He ran and ran and ran. Also scored an monstrous goal.

I am going to watch the match live at green point on saturday, my 1st live argentina match in my 31 years and cannot wait. I hope we can pull iit off. I will cry tears if we do not and I really don't want to do that infront of my dad.

Happy we are through but the germans are going to kill us if we are as sloppy.

We cannot give the ball away like that. Di Maria, Otamendi, Messi just about everyone gave away simple passes.
I'm also worried about Messi. He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone and Diego needs to make him understand that.
I love Messi and Barcelona but all the while I wanted Pastore to come on for him.

Heinze, Mascherano and Tevez were fabulous.
I wasn't much of a Heinze fan due to his reckless playing style and temper but he has matured like a fine wine.
Mascherano is working his heart out not even he will be able to cover Ozil and Muller if there form is anything like the England - Germany match.
Tevez didn't deserve to be taken off. He ran and ran and ran. Also scored an monstrous goal.

I am going to watch the match live at green point on saturday, my 1st live argentina match in my 31 years and cannot wait. I hope we can pull iit off. I will cry tears if we do not and I really don't want to do that infront of my dad.

I didn't like the subs. Pastore has to be prime option over Veron.

But at 3-0 they just wanted to kill the game and conserve energy hence Tevez off and Messi and the Hig wandering about.

To see the real di Maria we need him to stretch the play out wide up top floating free behind Higuain.

I am sure the technical staff know that they must not let our centre backs be pulled out by Ozil dropping off in the hole .get Masche to sit on him and bring Bolatti and Pastore to balance the midfield or Jonas to track the runs of Podolski as in March.

Meanwhile get di Maria to take Lahm the other way and Higuain and Tevez to target the channels between and beyond Mertesacker and Friedrich.

The technical staff and players won't underestimate Germany and everyone knows they have to perform 100% better and know that they must be cool and disciplined and work very hard.

Stay safe amigo. :))

YouTube - Argentinian Commercial World Cup 2010 (english subtitles) TyC Sports

:PRAY:

Last edited:
Samuel played in a full training session yesterday and should return to the starting lineup on Saturday.

Quite possible Pastore will start with di Maria replaced by Gutierrez in midfield ie

--------------------Romero-------------------------
Otamendi-----Samuel--------Burdisso--------Heinze--
-------------------Mascherano----------------------
------Gutierrez----------------Pastore-------------
--------Messi---------------------Tevez-----------
----------------------Higuain-----------------------

I like that but for some reason am not hopeful of Diego starting Pastore and can see him deploying Maxi instead and Demichelis instead of Burdisso. :/

@voxel, great talking to you after so long! I see your point and respect your opinion.

You will win. I believe strongly in your team. Despite all the idiosyncracies, Argentina present the "most-wanting-to-score-football" in this tournament, and you´ll get your rewards...Good luck tomorrow!

I know Diego has done some dumb things in his life, but I love his passion for the things he loves. Does anyone remember the Ciro Ferrara farewell game between Napoli and Juve? Diego came for the game and there was literally a 30 minute delay because the fans at San Paolo couldn't stop cheering and crowding out the place.

YouTube - Maradona ritorna a Napoli

Diego stole the spotlight! its awesome after 15 seconds.

OgAAAPn_0LBdLsFLBHOwQt1RIXjdOQuEcJSSCd8nmhQ4I-eLakxXh4jIgnNj0Eoaz-Bz81Rbvv3HZRQnU2yltyrTIcUAm1T1UFkcX2EWdGGe-NVWv0ayiJjiLQwS.jpg

JAJAJAJAJAJAJA

Back
Top Bottom