World Cup 2010 - The Italy Thread - Prandelli!!!

Milanista

Mangiamoli!
19 December 2002
London & Milan
AC Milan
1_808211148l.jpg

4m09

Provisional 28-man squad.

Portieri:

Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli), Federico Marchetti (Cagliari), Salvatore Sirigu (Palermo)

Difensori:

Salvatore Bocchetti (Genoa), Leonardo Bonucci (Bari), Fabio Cannavaro ((Juventus), Mattia Cassani (Palermo), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Christian Maggio (Napoli), Gianluca Zambrotta (Milan).

Centrocampisti:

Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Andrea Cossu (Cagliari), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Gennaro Gattuso (Milan), Claudio Marchisio ((Juventus), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria), Simone Pepe (Udinese), Andrea Pirlo (Milan).

Attaccanti

Marco Borriello (Milan), Antonio Di Natale (Udinese), Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus), Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria), Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli), Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal).

Allenatore - Marcello Lippi

Out:
Antonio Candreva (Juventus)
Fabio Grosso (Juventus)

Last edited:
Re: The Italy Thread - Forza Azzurri!

I always wondered why the guys whose names are Salvatore come from sicily. now I see that sirigu's name is also salvatore. my fathers good friend salvatore is also from sicily. :D is this a name from sicily?

Re: World Cup 2010 - The Italy Thread - Forza Azzurri!

it's indeed quite a popular name in sicily, but it's not exclusive. most (but not all) people named salvatore probably come from south italy (sicily especially), coz this name has greek roots, and since the south of italy was the region colonised by the greeks... salvatore litterally means "saviour". it's the latin translation of the original greek "Σωτήρης". now i'm not really sure if the "o" should be an omicron or an omega and if the 2 "e" should be epsilon or eta... my ancient greek is pretty rusty so our greek friends here will correct me if i'm wrong.
also our friend milanista here has a greek name. stefano comes from the greek Στεφανòς (wich, if i remember well, should mean "crowned"), and that reveals his south italians roots :))
the usual abbreviation of salvatore in sicilian dialect is "sasà" or "turi".
anyhow, to prove that being named salvatore doesn't necessarily means u come from sicily, salvatore sirigu is sardo (wich means he was born in sardegna).
Last edited by Milanista; Today at 16:44. Reason: I'm so awesome. I coloured the teams!
:LOL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCqSxMVp44&feature=related
the italian speakers in here will certainly like this. my favourite introduction is the first one. "dallo stadio di hannover, italia-ghana. oggi sapremo chi siamo!" that was so cool! :))

No surprise to see Amauri not picked.

Cassano left out again because Lippi fear's what he might do to team unity ? Would have been fun to see him play.

I just hope we don`t draw again if we go thru

Cassano left out again because Lippi fear's what he might do to team unity ? Would have been fun to see him play.
yeah that was a very stupid call, as cassano proved (with both italy's shirt and sampdoria's shirt) he's not a trouble-maker anymore.

this is the team we may have lined up in this world cup

PHP:
                             pazzini
            di natale                         cassano

pirlo

de rossi              palombo

balzaretti                                             maggio

chiellini            bonucci
                             buffon

while this is what we will most likely display :(
PHP:
                                  gilardino
               di natale

pepe
                           pirlo

de rossi            gattuso   

grosso         chiellini         cannavaro           zambrotta
                           buffon

what a shame

Ben I'm not sure about Pepe, I believe at least in first match Lippi will use Camoranesi...

I also hope Lippi will drop Gattuso after first match (or even after first 70 minutes) and replace it with a fresh Marchisio, come on he's also a Juventus players! :LOL:

this squad just have the intelligences to get the job done. What part will the New Jersey Born American passport Rossi play?

I think he will get games. Lippi seems to really like him. Does anyone know why they call him Joe Red in Italy sometimes??

I think he will get games. Lippi seems to really like him. Does anyone know why they call him Joe Red in Italy sometimes??
In Italy? He was given that nickname while he was with us. Kinda of a translation of his Italian name and a fitting one as well.

Little Joe the Red. :D

Joe = Giuseppe, Red = Rossi

It's like people calling Laurent Blanc, Larry White. :)

Ben I'm not sure about Pepe, I believe at least in first match Lippi will use Camoranesi...

I also hope Lippi will drop Gattuso after first match (or even after first 70 minutes) and replace it with a fresh Marchisio, come on he's also a Juventus players! :LOL:

I reckon Lippi will start Marchisio.

i'm telling u rfu, the central midfielder position is the only one which is definitely covered in italy. with the de rossi and pirlo we have probably the best midfield partnership on the planet.....
On paper only I'm afraid. You saw what happened in the Confed-Cup. Pirlo on a bad day is painful to watch. You already know my opinion on De Rossi.

as for pirlo's position, last year's confederations cup proved he can do pretty well in that position (although that's not exactly a trequartista's position... it's more of an "advanced regista"), so i reckon he'll play in that position in the world cup too.
Wasn't there a qualifier game where Italy played 4-2-3-1 with Pirlo in the hole? I mean recently?

Thoughts on Luca Antonelli of Milan? I think he's done well enough this season to at least warrant some recognition.

You mean Luca Antonini? ;) I'm worried that Italy's starting defence will consist of 3 of Juve's current defence.... which could really be a problem.

I wish they play like this:

Iaquinta Gilardino

Marchisio Camoranesi

De Rossi Pirlo

Grosso Chiellini Cannavaro Zambrotta

Buffon

They pretty much played like this against Bulgaria in Turin, and that was their best qualifying game.

Juve fan? ;)

Why should Iaquinta be in squad let alone starting line up?

He's been great for Italy. After returning from his injury, he seems to be Juve's best attacking threat. I'd take him... we need someone with his work rate.

Yeah I reckon Italy needs a player with his sort of drive. And I think Rossi will get his share of performances after his great display at the confederations cup, how did he do this season?

A quarter final would be fine for me, also the best the team can make without losing the face too much.

Little hopes for final victory, but I still think Lippi is no gambler and has some kind of ace in his sleeve (honestly, he looks a little overconfident with the group that won the World Cup in 2006, Gattuso, Cannavaro and Camoranesi being the perfect example of what I say), what this ace is I don't know. Maybe Rossi will finally explode and become world class, maybe Cannavaro will play decently, maybe Grosso will "transform" as he does when he plays with NT, and maybe Gila will go through his lack of persnality issues and score as his potential suggests.

That's a lot of maybes, hence quarter finals at best. If Italy wins I promise I'll run naked in Via Del Corso, Rome.

It seems Grosso, Candreva and Rossi will be cut, according to the press. I would've liked to see Rossi play.

One of the worst side i have ever seen, i guess another 1986 is on the way.

Apart from Cannavaro, Gattuso and Camoranesi, I think we have quite a solid side.

Edit - Its official, Candreva and Grosso are out!

Last edited:

Yeah I would've liked to see him play too. I would've probably cut Quagliarella as the striker.

And I didn't think Lippi would cut Grosso. That came as a bit of a surprise to me.

Edit - Its official, Candreva and Grosso are out!

Wait, what? Seriously? Wow. So he actually watches Juventus, I'm surprised.

Now for Gattuso, Camoranesi and Quagliarella out, and maybe hoping for Chiellini breaking Cannavaro again. Go Chiello, go!

OMG Grosso :CONFUSE: Who would have guessed. I mean after playing all the qualifiying matches he must have thought he has a secured spot.

Am I guessing Zamrotta will be switched to left back? Since many options on the right flank.

But that was a real surprise. A lot have been said that Lippi is living in the past and Grosso was the best living in the past example.

As for Gattuso, I am sure he won't be a starter. He is there for the mental game.

Some websites were speculating that Cassani will start, with Criscito as a sub.

Or maybe Zambrotta will stick to right and Criscito will play as leftback.

Back
Top Bottom