World Cup 2010 - The Italy Thread - Prandelli!!!

Re: World Cup 2010 - The Italy Thread - Forza Azzurri!

What I cannot stand is the schadenfreude nature of the commentators we have here in the UK. No doubt they are hoping every 'major' team stumbles and is knocked out so that England get a free run to the title.

Cowardly indeed. Peter Drury is one of the worst commentators to put up with. One time Bafana Bafana loyalist now Capello's acolyte.

Time to rebuild for Italy for 2012 with a whole set of youngsters.

Commiserations.

Too true. After England had scraped through earlier and before the start of the Germany Ghana game he said "Well England are through. anyone else wanting to join us?" chuckling:RANT:
He says this shit to annoy people. I hope Germany stuff them. I bet the News of the World will have a picture of Churchill on the front page and some WW2 dig.

Wankers!!

It is a pity that such strong team as Italy could not pass in play-off. But today Slovenia played better and was more worthy to play play-off.:SAL:

Slovakia. ;)

Plus, I would say, if they didn't get through, it's because they're not that strong. At least not this version of Italy.

Too true. After England had scraped through earlier and before the start of the Germany Ghana game he said "Well England are through. anyone else wanting to join us?" chuckling:RANT:
He says this shit to annoy people. I hope Germany stuff them. I bet the News of the World will have a picture of Churchill on the front page and some WW2 dig.

Wankers!!

The stereotypes they trot out are shameful. Personally speaking Germany as a place to live would be second to none for it's infrastructure, the beauty of the landscapes and it's great cultural heritage.

No doubt over the next three days they'll trot out the same stupid stereotypes ie some member of their staff dressed in lederhosen with an oompah band or an idiotic statement that Germans lack a sense of humour.

and ???? ....US won their group and was down 2 goals at the half. They won the group on injury time goal at that.So, trailing means nothing we have a saying here "It`s not how you start but how you finish that counts"
For a team of Italy's stature and in a fairly unspectacular group, it's not good enough.

He came on today at half time didnt he?

he came in in the last 20 minutes, and created more scoring chances in those 20 minutes than zambrotta did in the whole tournament. his very first pass could have turned to be an assist (that sweet through ball for di natale).

:CONFUSE:

Didn't notice... No wonder the game stepped up during that time, plus Quagliarella thrown in. Both should've started all 3 games imo. Cannavaro and Chiellini shouldn't have been in the WC as well. So many wrong things Lippi has made. Oh Lippi...

Well seems like this world-cup of transition for Italy was a disgrace. Now you better hope Prandelli can continue the transition and replace the old ones with new stars.
Btw Buffon is like half of your defense. Its unbelievable how important he is to Italy. Him and Pirlo. You lose them both and you just live of players skills.

Yeah Marchetti seemed a bit heavy and shaky and lacked some guts.

This is the last we've seen of Cannavaro now that he moved to the UAE. He is going to retire internationally right?

For the good of the NT, Moratti should start getting some Italians in Inter. Santon and Balotelli are very important but start to promote more. They can be the spine of the NT like Bayern and Barcelona because they have all it takes from every aspect. Giovinco is another one being wasted. We talk about confidence and experience but many are getting very little at their clubs.

Bonucci is finally going to start getting some games now that Cannavaro is gone.

Last edited:
Our ugly (as hell) team is out from this low level and boring WC (who already enterer in bad records' history, because of host country, because of few goals in first round and because both 2006's finalists are out at the bottom of their groups). It was an announced defeat, since a year ago (Confederation Cup) and to be honest I can't see the light out the tunnel, even with Prandelli. To be honest, what did you expect if the first 2 Serie A's teams provided only a player (De Rossi) to our National? Too many foreigners (even low level and even in little teams!) in our teams and in our young systems (check Inter's Primavera, it's a shame), this National reflect the image of the italian team who won 3 titles a month ago, and who provieded zero players.

Last edited:
to be fair players like pirlo or buffon would be "key players" in every team. and i don't think marchetti did bad honestly. he's already a fantastic keeper and he's still very young. yeah he probably won't become one of the greatest keepers in football history like buffon, but i'm confident he will be a world class keeper in a few years.

however it's not mainly a matter of players imo. obviously we could (and should) have sent a much better team in south africa..... but to be honest, even the guys we sent in south africa were good enough to get a qualification spot in this group.
let's be honest, there are many serie b teams which could litterally tear new zealand apart.

the point is football is played on the pitch... it doesn't matter if u're more talented, or better or stronger.... u have to prove it every time u enter the pitch. and that implies many factors, not just the quality of the team.
it's about your hunger, your motivation, your personality, your coolness (wich is mostly important in a wc) your state of mind, and it's also about the coach contribution.

in this last match there was such a confusion on the pitch, it was crazy... lippi made about 4 major tactical changes in 60 minutes of football. that's something a good coach would never do, unless he feels he's lost the plot of the game (wich is what happened).... hell not even mourinho would do something this dumb. so if a real tactician like lippi resorted to such a desperate measure, it really means he felt he lost the grip on the team.

the fact that he brought back gattuso speaks for itself.... i mean, u have an amazing talent for that role (marchisio).... a talent u wasted in 3 different roles (with horrible results) in the last 2 matches. now u're finally about to line up a formation that suits marchisio...... and keep him out to line up gattuso (whi has been simply awful all season long)!?! WTF!!!

and how about di natale. he had his best season ever, he's been serie a's top scorer... and he's the only dribbler u decided to bring at the world cup (since u left balotelli, cassano and balzaretti at home)..... how can u keep a player who proved to be the best scorer in italy this season out of the starting formation?
how can u keep gilardino as a starter (no disrespect for gila, who is a great forward, but he had one of his worst season this year) and leave pazzini (who has been simply on fire all season long) on the bench?

how can u keep out a player like maggio and line up zambrotta (who is hardly a starter even in his own club team) instead!

and about cannavaro, if we didn't have much better options i would have understood his decision to call him.... but seriously how in the name of GOD can u line up cannavaro (who had a more than disgraceful season at juve), when u have bonucci on the bench! or bocchetti! hell even fabio's brother, paolo cannavaro, he's been so much better than fabio this season and he wasn't even called up once!

the only unquestionable starters in lippi's team are chiellini (gotta disagree with u here Lami, chiellini is a top class defender and he most certainly deserves the spot. he didn't have a great performance... but honestly in this team even nesta wouldn't deliver ;) ), de rossi and montolivo. every other choice he made is pretty much questionable.

and the saddest thing of them all is that we all knew it. we all have been saying the same things about italy's problems for the last 2 years. the only one who seemed to have a different opinion has always been lippi. but for everyone else in italy, this result wasn't a shock at all. i don't think there's anyone in italy who didn't expect us to fail exactly as we did. wich means that all this time, theese 2 years with lippi were a huge waste of time.

oh well, as i said earlier, at least is over.
it's just a shame to see one of the greatest coaches in the last 20 years leaving like that though. i mean this is almost as tragic as zidane's headbutt in his last match.
i'll never understand why he got back 2 years after the world cup win.

leo said:
To be honest, what did you expect if the first 2 Serie A's teams provided only a player (De Rossi) to our National? Too many foreigners (even low level and even in little teams!) in our teams and in our young systems
i gotta disagree with that leo. we definitely don't have too many foreigners. 70% of serie a's players are italians (just to put things in perspective premiership has just a 30% of english players).
we do have some of the very best academies in the world (parma, lecce, roma, atalanta) and we have many teams with lots of italian great players..... the thing is right now they're on holidays because lippi thought "his guys" were better.

i mean we didn't line up zambrotta coz we don't have anyone better than him. there's maggio, and cassani
we didn't line up cannavaro coz we ain't got a better cb (we got bonucci and ranocchia and bocchetti)
players like cossu, conti, candreva, palombo, balzaretti, marchisio, balotelli (and i won't even bother mentioning cassano)... they would make it into the 23 squad of most of the national teams in the world.... hell they would also make the starting 11 in many of those teams.
the point is that was lippi's italy.
just look at the terrific change in our game as soon as quagliarella and maggio came in today. that's what i mean when i say we could have lined up a completely different team.

I agree about Inter and Roma, thats why Balotelli needs to join Milan :D. I still think we have a lot of talent, but the problem is talent that can become leaders or icons that will carry the team. I think we are really lacking a superb young/middle age defender that can replace Cannavaro/Nesta/Maldini's generation, and it could be worrying. We also don't have as good a spine of goalkeepers - in the past we had Pagliuca, Toldo, Peruzzi, Marcheggiani and Buffon etc.... but I don't blame Marchetti at all, and I think we are fine in this department tbh for now..

Our midfield and attack seem very promising though - Balotelli, Rossi, Pazzini, Cassano (He can make the next WC), Giovinco, Montolivo, Aquilani etc.

Last edited:
i don't think leadership is an issue. chiellini and de rossi are 2 natural born leaders. great personality and charisma.
what we missed in this world cup was (other than a serious tactical plan) some ballsy dribblers upfront who could go on 1 on 1 situations and serve some good assists to our cf. and we missed that because 2 of our best dribblers (di natale and quagliarella) spent almost the entire world cup on the bench.... and the other 2 (balotelli and cassano) weren't even in south africa.

forget about nesta and maldini. we'll never have anyone as good as them... or at least we won't have anyone as good as them for a few generations. nesta and maldini (exactly as buffon) are that kind of players that comes once every 3\4 generations.... just like baresi, beckembauer, cruyff, maradona, baggio.
u can't expect to replace a legend with another legend. we were already very lucky to have 2 legendary defensive lines in 2 consecutives generations (tassotti, bergomi, baresi maldini - zambrotta, cannavaro, nesta, maldini). that was a huge luck. but this kind of things don't usually happen.

what u can expect is to replace a legend with a great player. chiellini isn't nesta, but still he's one of the very best defenders in the world today...... nobody has a nesta today. ferdinand isn't nesta, samuel isn't nesta, puyol isn't nesta. but they're all great players. chiellini is ok. actually we're lucky to have him. but we should pair him up with a good partner. :))

Tbh I never liked Chiellini as a CB. Always thought he's made many mistakes and is sometimes OTT. Maybe I don't like his style.

well he's definitely rough. he's not a ferdinand, he's a vidic. he's not the elegant one, he's the "get one step closer and i'll kill u" kinda cb. but he's one of the very best in his job. and he's made HUGE improvements over the last 2 years.
and this is said by a guy who never thought chiellini would have become a good cb :P

Ben, I personally feel he's having a pretty poor season compared to the past. And to be honest, when you used to think he was bad as a CB, I was with Domenic that he was awesome there, but now that you think hes great, I don't think he is :LOL:. I hope he doesn't become Kaladze - by this I mean getting lazy in his new role as CB.

Sad to see Italy go, it's my second favourite team, since half of my family has italian blood running through their veins...

Nice to see very smart and reflexive comments from the posters here.

What I do not agree with, is that you will have any success in the future if you do not find the next generation of great defenders. You will not get by with just "nice players" at the back. Italy is suppossed to breed the best defensive lines in the world and if you do not, then your teams will not succeed imo.

Just the same case as Brazil or my country, Argentina, but in terms of strikers. If we don't produce the very uber best attacking players in the world, then we will fail. Our Marcelo Bielsa era showed that we could have a nice team of very good and balanced players, that were correctly deployed in terms of tactics, and still we wouldn't ever beat the Europeans at their game.

Allowing 3 goals to Slovakia is just not Italy-like at all.

I hope I'm wrong and you do better in the future though.

Cheers!

Ben, I personally feel he's having a pretty poor season compared to the past.
of course he had a worse season than usual... poor fella he was paired up with cannavaro all season long!! :P with all due respect, legrottaglie last season was a better partner than cannavaro this season.
anyway i think we shouldn't really judge juventus players this season. look at diego. i don't think anyone has any doubts he's a fantastic player, yet he was terrible this season.
or look at candreva. he's been tearing defences apart, right until he joined juve. then all of a sudden, his performances went down.
it's the whole juve system that failed this season. and that obviously effected every single players aswell. i remeber once sconcerti said "even messi wouldn't deliver in this juventus right now"

voxel said:
What I do not agree with, is that you will have any success in the future if you do not find the next generation of great defenders. You will not get by with just "nice players" at the back. Italy is suppossed to breed the best defensive lines in the world and if you do not, then your teams will not succeed imo
i understand your point mate. but we have to distinguish great players from legends.
the system (by system i mean the academies) will always bring u great players. but legends aren't made by academies. they are raw and they don't born in each and every generation.

argentina always produces great forwards.... but the legendary ones (say maradona, batistuta) don't pop up in each and every generation.
it took many years for argentina to have a player comparable to maradona (messi). the same way it will take many years for us to have some players comparable to the likes of baggio, or baresi or nesta or maldini.

but then again, even though it took many years to have "another maradona" argentina still produced loads of great forwards in the meanwhile. :))
the same happens with us. chiellini is no nesta, cassano is no baggio..... but both chiellini and cassano are among the best players in the world today.

we can't expect legends to come from our academies each and every generation. but we can expect great players to come from them. the real shame is when our academies do produce those great players and the national team coach doesn't even call em for a world cup (or leave em on the bench).

Last edited:
it took many years for argentina to have a player comparable to maradona (messi). the same way it will take many years for us to have some players comparable to the likes of baggio, or baresi or nesta or maldini.

but then again, even though it took many years to have "another maradona" argentina still produced loads of great forwards in the meanwhile. :))
the same happens with us. chiellini is no nesta, cassano is no baggio..... but both chiellini and cassano are among the best players in the world today.

we can't expect legends to come from your academies each and every generation. but we can expect great players to come from them. the real shame is when your academies do produce those great players and the national team coach doesn't even call em for a world cup (or leave em on the bench).

I understand you, and I think I know what you mean.

I also think a great player becomes a Legend if his team succeeds and that player becomes vital to that team's success.

For all I know, Riquelme could have been a true Legend if Carlos Bianchi had coached our national team in the last 10 years. We just don't think of him that way because it didn't happen and thus, he did not succeed as much as he could in the World Cups, which is where Legends are made.

All in all, I think that in order for Legends to be born, the right players are just as important as the right coach choosing them and deploying the tactical system that best fits their strenghts.

What I meant, is that your best young players are mostly attack-minded and my doubts come from the inability of your coaches to deploy the right system for them to be succesfull. It's just too hard to out-Brazil Brazil. You know? ;)

That's why I've said that your best bet is to find the new generation of legendary defenders instead of probably wasting your time trying to change your style heh

We had a lot of great balanced teams with better role players than Maradona's teams ever dreamed of. It just wasn't our style. Didn't feel right. It would have been better to declare someone the next Maradona (which could have been Riquelme or Aimar) and build a team around him instead of trying to do something else. You just find your great 4 defenders, build a team around them and watch them become Legends :)

I could always be wrong though! (Mostly, I am)

Cheerio!

Our ugly (as hell) team is out from this low level and boring WC (who already enterer in bad records' history, because of host country, because of few goals in first round and because both 2006's finalists are out at the bottom of their groups). It was an announced defeat, since a year ago (Confederation Cup) and to be honest I can't see the light out the tunnel, even with Prandelli. To be honest, what did you expect if the first 2 Serie A's teams provided only a player (De Rossi) to our National? Too many foreigners (even low level and even in little teams!) in our teams and in our young systems (check Inter's Primavera, it's a shame), this National reflect the image of the italian team who won 3 titles a month ago, and who provieded zero players.

hahahahah sour grapes anyone... you gotta be kidding me dude...

Excellent points lo zio.

The kids are there .They have not been utilized by a conservative coach who preferred the tried and trusted and was too negative.

Ranocchia, Bonucci and Santon can certainly form 3/4 of a great defensive unit of the future.

serie A still has a preponderance of Italians in the league much like Liga still has a preponderance of Spaniards and Germans in the Bundesliga.

But playing time for these kids is important.

If any national team has something to worry about it is England. Large numbers of imports not just in teams but academies.

Ouch :LOL: Now everyone finally understands why Inter doesn't bother with Italian players :LOL: What a travesty. But in the end it's a good thing. If Italy had managed to scrape through, everyone would think Italy was just slow to start and everyone would get their hopes up. Truth is, as Ben stated earlier, this is clearly the worst Italian NT team for quite sometime. And poor Canna, what a way to go, eh :LOL: Man, if only Lippi had used the Confed Cup as warm up to try out different players and new systems. Instead he waits until the WC :LOL:

It was good to see some urgency in the final minutes (actually it was expected) but overall Italy lacked a lot, in every department. I doon't understand Cannavaro, there're are slower, less experienced defenders out there, but few are this bad. It wasn't just one bad mistake but a series of hollers, one after the other, and in spectacular fashion. And that throw in was, ugh... what a disaster.

I'm curious to hear Ben's opinion on De Rossi's general performance in this tournament. A player in his peak years, clearly the most complete midfielder in recent years (remember I said he was the closest thing to a libero), apparently the most decisive midfielder in Europe (Ok, I strongly disagree with that one)... He was decent vs Paraguay, particularly after his goal, but then after... (shakes head)....

Yes he possesses a stinging shot and the heading ability of a seasoned striker, but who's carrying the team? Who's holding possession? Look at Van Bommel with Holland, a much less creative midfielder but he provides guile and power in attack, his passing and movement conveys urgency and intent. Not that I'm blaming De Rossi for Italy's shambolic display of football, but I did expect him to rise to the occasion. Instead he plays too deep.

Oh well, bring on Prandelli and the new crop of Inter players, Santon, Mario and Ranocchia :SMUG:

Ranocchia, Bonucci and Santon can certainly form 3/4 of a great defensive unit of the future.
yep. add criscito on the left, and u have italy's future defensive line..... although santon will have to challenge maggio for a starting place and ranocchia will have to challenge chiellini.
voxel said:
What I meant, is that your best young players are mostly attack-minded and my doubts come from the inability of your coaches to deploy the right system for them to be succesfull. It's just too hard to out-Brazil Brazil. You know?
yeah that's a very good point indeed, and i definitely agree with u. :))
but it's actually even worse than that. u see it would have been easier for an italian fan to accept, to digest the failure, if lippi would have choosen a different path and failed.

i mean let's imagine lippi saying "hey u know what, we got some serious talent in this generation, let's try something new, let's try something "brasil-style". well my reaction as an italian fan would have been "i'm not really sure about that, to be honest, but hey, u're the boss, u're the great coach here, so just follow your instinct and let's see what's gonna happen".

the point is, that's not what lippi did either. coz if u wanna go for "the brazilian way" (or "the argentinian way"), then u have to deploy your best passers, your best dribblers, your most technical players.
that would mean deploying players like d'agostino, montolivo, cigarini, cossu, palombo, candreva, balotelli, cassano, quagliarella, miccoli, di natale, palladino balzaretti, bonucci.
those are "brazilian style" players...... not pepe, not iaquinta, not gattuso. just 5 players of the aforementioned made the squad (the bolded ones).....and only 1 of em was a starter (montolivo)..... so u can clearely see we didn't even go "the brazilian way".

we didn't play italian football, we didn't play brazilian football. to be brutally honest, we didn't play football at all.
and the saddest part is that every single fan in italy knew that was coming. because this italy is no different from last year's italy in the confederations cup (actually that team was even better, coz there was rossi in the squad and pirlo was fit).
when u think at the new zealand match result, it's just crazy..... but that didn't come out of nowhere. italy played new zealand last year too, in a friendly match. that match ended 4-3!!! new zealand scored 3 fucking times!!! and it's not like we scored 4 goals and then decided to chill out and give some space to new zealand.... no, new zealand was in lead for almost the entire game! first they scored, then we equalised, then they scored again, and then we equalised, and so on.
it was just embarassing. after the match the journalists asked lippi "don't think we should leave the old glories (cannavaro, zambrotta, and co.) at home and bring in some fresh blood? how about bonucci, how about ranocchia, how about cassano, how about balotelli, how about pazzini and criscito?
he replied that match was just an episode, an incident. he said that was just a friendly and that italy would have done much better at the world cup, one year after....... and he also said many of those new players would have been called.
one year after, we've been even worse than last year. and as for lippi's promise to rejuvinate the team, only pazzini, criscito and bonucci were called..... and only one of em (criscito) has been deployed as a starter (pazzini played less than 25 minutes, bonucci didn't play at all).

that's the sad part: we ALL knew that was coming.... coz that's how italy has been playing ever since we fired donadoni.
what really amazes me is that lippi seems to be shocked at the fact we played so bad..... Good Lord where the hell have u been in the last 2 years, u idiot?! :CONFUSE:
how is it possible not to expect this outcome, when this is the way u had this team playing ever since u got the job back?!!

the only thing that brings a smile on my face is that now lippi is gonna face the worst nightmare for a coach: the italian football journalists inquisition. they're gonna rip him apart..
i'm so gonna enjoy this :SNACK:

rfu said:
Truth is, as Ben stated earlier, this is clearly the worst Italian NT team for quite sometime....
....I'm curious to hear Ben's opinion on De Rossi's general performance in this tournament
not just the worst italian NT in quite some time. we ended the group stage in 4th position, without winning a single match. as a matter of fact, that's the worst performance in italy's history!

as for de rossi, mate, i think he's been heroic, pretty much like montolivo in the the match against new zealand and quagliarella yesterday. coz when u manage to come out with a decent performance in such conditions, then u really got balls!

football is a team sport. there's no way u can play at your best, if your teammates don't even run (never mind playing well).
it's pretty much the same thing i said about juventus, and the same thing could be said about liverpool. this is a team-failure. it's the entire system that collapsed (and lippi sure did his part by changing formation every 20 minutes).
when u have a team with some players doing well and some others doing bad, u can try to analyse the situation and single out some performances.
but when u have an entire team failing, u absolutely can't judge the individuals. we can't judge diego's or chiellini's performances in juve this season, exactly as we can't judge de rossi, montolivo and criscito during this world cup. they were the only ones who tried to keep our engine going.... but 3 players alone can't sustain an entire team falling down.
btw, dude, now u're comparing de rossi to van bommel!!!?? :CONFUSE: WTF!

edit:
i also wouldn't say he played deep at all. i'm quite sure he's the italy player who had more shots in our 3 matches.... and that is impressive for a defensive midfielder. he, criscito and montolivo were the only ones who actually tried to move the possession line forward. he scored in the first match and earned us a penalty in the 2nd match.... horrible dive that one, sure...... but to gain a penalty u have to be in the box..... that was our holding midfielder in the opponent's box mate.... that is NOT playing deep!

Last edited:
I didn't really mean it like that in a bad way. From what I understood from the article, it was saying that Italian talent is declining, and that we should possibly follow the 'intelligent' German way of adopting more foreign kids in our academies so that they gradually gain Italian nationality.

It's just a stupid article imo, so its not worth any form of debate.

yeah that mediaset site is just rubbish. they don't even have a newspaper... it's just internet trash.

if u wanna take a look at what italy will look like under prandelli take a look at the gazzetta dello sport or at the corriere.
http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/mondiali_2010/girone_f/italia/2010/06/25-117757/Italia%2C+sar%C3%A0+rivoluzione%3A+dentro+Cassano+e+Balotelli

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Mondiale_2010/Squadre/25-06-2010/italia-ora-tocca-prandelli-71216861833.shtml

rossi, bonucci, chiellini, bocchetti, ranocchia, balotelli, palombo, cassano, motta, santon, de silvestri, candreva, poli, galloppa.... theese are just a few names mentioned in both articles.

now that's more like it! :))

yep. add criscito on the left, and u have italy's future defensive line..... although santon will have to challenge maggio for a starting place and ranocchia will have to challenge chiellini.
Yeah, I meant Inter players :COOL: That beak-nosed bastard Chellini is trash, let him go back to LB :P Seriously though, it'll be interesting to see which CBs gets promoted to the starting 11. I would like to see Ranocchia and Bonucci fielded against top opposition on a regular basis. Plus they complement each other better IMO. By the way it looks like Bonucci is Jugay bound, and for a measly 15 million :CONFUSE: I guess he knows he won't get regular football at Inter but still, we would let him go on loan to Genoa or remain at Bari like we're doing with Ranocchia. Anyway, I'm str8 so long as Ranocchia is joining Inter because I rate him higher.

the only thing that brings a smile on my face is that now lippi is gonna face the worst nightmare for a coach: the italian football journalists inquisition. they're gonna rip him apart..
i'm so gonna enjoy this :SNACK:
Really looking forward to that one. Keep us posted mate. Anything interesting comes up, post with a translation please :))

btw, dude, now u're comparing de rossi to van bommel!!!?? :CONFUSE: WTF!
Dude, that's my point :LOL: Anyway, just watch Bommel play, he's having a good tournament, thus far. Albeit playing alongside De Jong. I can see you're not going to budge on this one, both of us have made our points, you think De Rossi performed admirable, I think he was fairly anonymous throughout, lets just agree to disagree. I was unimpressed, however, that I know for certain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom