World Cup 2010 - The Portugal Thread - Acabou-se - It's over

Re: World Cup 2010 - The Portugal Thread - Um sonho, uma ambição... Portugal campeão!

Queiroz certainly implemented his tactics well today.

Juan should have seen red. Coentrao also needs to focus a bit more defensively.

Otherwise that defence looks very tight at present and difficult to breakdown.

Overall not a great spectacle but I'm sure both managers and teams will be satisfied and looking at what tonight's proceedings bring ie avoiding Spain if possible.

Re: World Cup 2010 - The Portugal Thread - Um sonho, uma ambição... Portugal campeão!

The merit for who deserve: kudos to Queiroz for those two last matches. I'm a huge critic of him but now he deserves recognition. Tactical we were almost perfect today. Brazil didn't find a way to beat and get into our defence. Eduardo showed is a safe GK, Bruno Alves and Ricardo Carvalho were solid as rocks (like always), great control by our midfield (Pepe, Meireles and Tiago), CR always doing his tricks and Duda and Danny in a decent level.

Now, Spain. If he play like that it won't be easy for the spanish. Portugal-Spain is something like Benfica-Sporting or Madrid-Barça. In that kind of match, details are important to decide who wins.

Força Portugal! I believe.

Imo Portugal defence has to be highlighted as one of the best in the WC, it isnt for nothing that u guys have only conceded 3 goals in the last 20 or so matches...

I sense a Ronaldo Rocket tonight.

Not trying to jinx you lot though
images
:))

Damn, Pepe's reactions after the game(all smiling and shinning) were at least disrespectfull imo.. same as Robinho back in 2006.

Ronaldo is the worst player I've seen this far.

I guess Portugal will be play better without this Egoist C.Ronaldo

some love btw spain n portugal must be good neighbors. ..so many hugs before n after the game ::WORSHIP:

Almedia was keeping Spain defence busy all time,it was really a suicide to take him off,u have a good team,good players but its not enough to beat this Spanish team,some of their players look like come from another world...

Eduardo and Fabio Contreao are your best players. Though Fabio had a lot better 1st half than 2nd. Overall though, if there's one positive thing about this tourney for Portugal, it's that they've finally found themselves a quality left-back.

Ronaldo - ineffective, selfish and crap.

Simao - Unfortunately not the player he used to be.

Almeida - Not as good as people say at all. He had one moment where he outsprinted Pique which almost led to the own goal by Puyol. Other than that, he wasn't doing a whole lot and bringing on Danny was a good positive change as he's quite capable.

The match went the way most of us expected after all. Portugal worked hard but at the end of the day aren't quite in the same class or as capable as Spanish.

And since when is Ricardo Costa a right-back?

Enormous Eduardo

Enormous Coentrão - Best left back in the World, no need to discuss it, point.

Congrats to our professionals, they did everything they could. Queiroz made a mistake replacing Almeida (the best so far) by Danny (contributed nothing), but ok, no need to blame him.

Ronaldo, put the ketchup in your ass!

Bring José Mourinho or Jorge Jesus to our NT. We were complety sh*t!

I blame the coach, R. Costa (Right Back? WTF? What was Miguel doing in the bench?), Danny (totally crap footballer) and Gilberto Madaíl (FPF Chairman).

@$$]-[0/€$ :RANT:

FU RONALDOHHH

The French were a joke during the worldcup, seems like we will be the joke after the worldcup. Ronaldo and Deco Reaction to this game and their comments about it will sure lead to a hell of a problem in the next couple of days.

This is definitely, without a doubt, not the same Ronaldo that I know from Manchester.

Hi, cheers to our portuguese neighbours. I think we were far superior today and we deserved the win. Portugal played too deffensive. I can't get how a team with such players can go to a world cup to defend all time.

Where's moutinho, by the way? And veloso? Why Ronaldo is allowed to shoot every ball brom 40 yards without adding any single effort deffensively?

I think Portugal should do a big change and put young and creative players to the service of an idea of football that should be nearer to what their historical clubs have done. Benfica, Porto, Sporting Lisboa, Boavista... all of them clubs that always have tried to play a technical and offensive football. I remember the national team of the euro with deco, rui costa and a younf ronaldo. They played great beautiful football then. What has happened?

Anyway the story could have been quite different in any of your 2 clear counters had gone in. But luck today was in the right side, in my oppinion. You had won the previous one!

Coentrao was absolutely fantastic in the first half, but in the secondth half he went down a little.

Azzur, if you read this, I hope we can meet in a Fifa match and the you try to take revenge. I thought about you guys during the match. In good terms, sometimes... :BYE:

PS: To be honest, it seemed offside to me all the time, even live. Difficult to see for the linesman really. Don't get angry if I say I was glad it was, because I think the referees should let play go on if they doubt, and this was a great application of that "rule". We also lost to Switzerland for an off-side goal, but I prefer it that way, both goals should be valid. We must try to favourish attacking football after all. I know it's not the most ideal day to say this, but still wanted to write it down.

Last edited:
I think Portugal should do a big change and put young and creative players to the service of an idea of football that should be nearer to what their historical clubs have done. Benfica, Porto, Sporting Lisboa, Boavista... all of them clubs that always have tried to play a technical and offensive football. I remember the national team of the euro with deco, rui costa and a younf ronaldo. They played great beautiful football then. What has happened?

The answer is: football chaged a lot since the globalization era. Nowadays you look into Benfica cantera, Sporting cantera, whatever, and you see many many foreign young guys coming from the very different parts of the world. This isn't exclusively a Portuguese problem. The most mediatic case is France. 2010 will mark a new era in european football. Portugal, France, England and Italy are having many problems to find a new good generation of players.
We have one additional problem. Since Queiroz times at young teams, we don't have a specific idea for players' formation. There isn't an own game philosophy, there is no work in this area for many many years, since the 80s/90s. We just don't have a style of play well identified. This an huge issue we should take care as soon as possible.
I'm still think Queiroz isn't a football coach. He is a professor, he build playes extracting them their talent. When it comes to being a first team coach he simply hasn't competence for the task.

I think Ronaldo needs to retune his game , I seriously miss the "hunger" to his game. goals are great and all but the Ronaldo from 03-07 was a completely different animal. He's a much more "dangerous" player when shooting or attacking but he needs to work for the team more.

I remember Euro 04, he would run himself into the ground the numerous times he had a run (also picking it up from the defence) to take the pressure of he could run it up the pitch to carry the team forward when defending. nowadays he waits for the ball and from 50 yards or so everytime just tries to score.

Someone with his ability shouldn't just pigeon hole himself into a goalscorer/great striker of the ball.

Eduardo was def the best player for Portugal in this match, Ronaldo is going down hill fast wouldn't be surprised to see him fading away from his "image" very soon.

C.Ronaldos time is over. We going back to old school player like Villa, Hinguain or Müller. No Tricks for the Kids, but very effective

The answer is: football chaged a lot since the globalization era... I'm still think Queiroz isn't a football coach. He is a professor, he build playes extracting them their talent. When it comes to being a first team coach he simply hasn't competence for the task.

Yes, football has changed, but I think Portugal needs to go back to their roots. Even if they don't have great players in all lines, you should go back to playing a more offensive football, based on possession and associations. Right now there's no difference between how Portugal and Greece play in terms of general strategy.

But I'm very intrigued in the answer to: why Moutinho and Veloso are not regulars in the team? They seem splendid players to me.

Moutinho had a terrible season. Even here every1 wanted him despite his awful form in Sporting. He should have left Sporting 2 years ago, he is stuck there and isn't growing at all.
Veloso is an option from queiros, he wants a defensive midfielder that only defends, he doesn't like the creative DMF type of player. For Queiroz Veloso is a Sub for Meireles (different players, but whatever...).

Anyways, good thing off all this crap is that we finally found ourselves a solid Keeper and a starting Left back.

Mesmo com a porcaria de convocatória feita, um treinador decente, familiarizado com o verdadeiro "adn" do nosso futebol, conseguiria pelo menos ter os jogadores motivados para praticar um futebol vistoso e ofensivo. Ninguém pede o Mundial a Portugal! Não teremos nunca essa pressão, e isso é carta verde para brilhar. Já o fizemos, porque mudámos? O Ronaldo já provou que é um animal competitivo, e que é capaz. O problema dele, e da maioria dos nossos jogadores é claramente não respeitarem as ideias do Queirós. Isto é um facto. Passámos de ser uma equipa de classe para sermos uma equipa defensiva, calculista, sem espaço para os "rendilhados" que sempre coloriram o nosso futebol. Estamos numa encruzilhada. Queirós não é o indicado para nos guiar, não pelas competências, mas porque como treinador não é respeitado. È tempo de verdadeira mudança.

E já agora por quem? Quem é que achas que pode vir, por a equipa a jogar bom futebol, encantar o publico e conseguir resultados?

Back
Top Bottom