Worst/Best Buys of the season so FAR!!!

Some smart aquisitions:

Kallstrom-Lyon
Maxwell-Inter
Veron-Estudiantes
Vidic-Man Utd

Some not so good aquisitions:

Shevchenko-Chelsea (perhaps also the rest of Chelsea´s buys too???)
Tevez-West Ham
Emerson-Real Madrid

Some smart aquisitions:

Kallstrom-Lyon
Maxwell-Inter
Veron-Estudiantes
Vidic-Man Utd

Some not so good aquisitions:

Shevchenko-Chelsea (perhaps also the rest of Chelsea´s buys too???)
Tevez-West Ham
Emerson-Real Madrid

emrson has recently started to fit in the squad quite niceley.. its diarra who is having trouble settling in...

Emerson, one of those players whose work often goes unnoticed.

true, it's a "dark work". it's hard for "non expert people" to see his influence in the game.... but u'll notice his importance each time his team plays without him.

it took 1 year for me to see how good is this unusual playmaker :)

Biggest letdowns for me personally are:

Vincent Kompany
Juan Pablo Sorín
Jose Paolo Guerrero Gonzales
Danijel Ljuboja
Boubacar Sanogo

Joris Mathijsen has been a good buy though.

Last edited:
Kompany is injury prone and should play as a DMF.
He is still very young and had to adapt to a team in crisis...you expected too much of him kel...i still remember your reaction when you first knew that HSV had bought Kompany...you reacted like HSV had bought Ronaldinho.
Kompany is a young and very promising player but he's far from a finished product. He still has to learn.
HSV should be patient with him.

hey kel, what about my boy Felihaber? one for the future?

He has played a few games due to the lack of fit players in his position and I thought he was doing well but unfortunately in two matches (VfL Wolfsburg & VfB Stuttgart) two big mistakes resulted in a goal against us which costed the points. However, I rate him a lot. He seems like a player who has a decent technique with good passing abilities but is perhaps a little too weak physically.

Kompany is injury prone and should play as a DMF.
He is still very young and had to adapt to a team in crisis...you expected too much of him kel...i still remember your reaction when you first knew that HSV had bought Kompany...you reacted like HSV had bought Ronaldinho.
Kompany is a young and very promising player but he's far from a finished product. He still has to learn.
HSV should be patient with him.

I knew that he was injury prone and I did not expect him to play all games but what has been up so far with him exceeded my apprehension. It seems his bones are made of glass. And to correct you, when he joined the club in summer there was no crisis yet. But the few games he has played I thought he has done a good job showing which class he has. Also, yes I admit I had too big expectations and hopes in him due to his high reputation in Europe. I still think that he is a great talent and will eventually grow into a big player. I am just a little pissed that a player who has been signed for €8.0 Mil. only played like five games and will probably miss the rest of the season too.

Last edited:
LOL whilst writing this, best buy just tried to perform a volley shot, missed the ball and landed on his ass after ronaldinhos setup, who chested a cross perfectly onto his feet.

commentator was like "fantastic play by ronaldinho! -and gudjohnsen.. well, to put it mildly... he prefers the simple play."

:)

If you are talking about the Championship as well, Kevin Kyle is a bag of shit, what a waste of money for Coventry!

personally i think that Gudjohnson is a pretty usefull player for Barca...

watching every barca match i can tell you they could have every other player upfront. he contributes nothing special to the team. in england he did well, but england isn't spain and barca isn't chelsea. he's no larsson either.

definitely agree with that!!But Barca doesn't use Guddie the best way!!using him as lone striker is doubtless the worst thing for barca and himself!!!guddie used to play as SS with a real cf with him

Best: Stam. Although I like all our new signings. Ogararu has been superb, although he didn't played much. Gabri has been excellent, a important player for us. Roger doesn't plays much, but I like him and I know he will play much after the winterstop. Gentenaar is injured a lot, but a superb goalkeeper. Krohn-Dehli is a good sub. Perez was on fire, before his suspension. He was topscorer and had a lot of assists.

And of course Afonso Alves has been a very, very good signing by Heerenveen. Luis Suarez of Groningen is a pleasure to watch, to me he's their best player. An other great signing is Orlando Engelaar. He lifts Twente to an higher level. A joy to watch. Lazovic. He's showing at Vitesse that Feyenoord made a bad decision letting him go.

And Bruins of Excelsior. Not really a signing but new in the Eredivisie and allready wanted by Ajax, AZ, PSV and Feyenoord. Fantastic player.

Finally Theo Lucius and Henk Timmer. If it weren't for them Feyenoord would be nr. 10, if not lower.

These players really make the Eredivisie a better league.

Worst: Shevchenko isn't doing what he supposed to do. And AZ's goalkeepers (Didulica and Sinouh) aren't going to make you champions. Very dumb to let go Timmer to Feyenoord. They did make a good move signing Waterreus but he's leaving in the winterstop again.
Can't think of anyone else.

what about Salcido @ PSV? I think he's a great player and he'll be playing in the best teams of europe in no time..
Osorio & Pardo have also played great for Stuttgart, haven't they?

the one i think is a mayor failure is "Kikin" Fonseca @ Benfica, mostly because the coach doesn`t seems to like him very much

O, yeah. Forgot all about Salcido. This guy is simply fantastic. Hasn't got in any problems against any player. Scored a cracker a couple of weeks ago. You can watch it over here

about my club: galasek is a wonderful addition to our squad, you can really see and feel all his experience in every single match. great player.

Best:
Gago to Real Madrid
He's amazing. Period.

Aimar to Zaragoza
Aimar is a very special player. He had to put up with the lack of imagination and creativity of his teammates in Valencia for years. I'm happy he finally has teammates to make 1-2 passes with.

MATIAS FERNANDEZ to Villareal
He can blow your mind.

--

I wouldn't rate Tevez as a worst buy, his case is like Aimar's, only much much worst. He went to a team where no one has skills, creativity or sensibility to play along with him and create football. They are running machines prepared to hit and charge against the opposition defenders until a lucky goal comes in by a rebound. He has no one to play with.
To make things worst, their manager (as many european managers) prefers big beasts like Harewood or the 80 years old Sheringham. And while Zamora is not bad, he's not a partner for talents like Tevez. Would any of you seriously prefer any of these players over Tevez?
So he's not a worst buy, he belongs to a list called "worst moves for talented players".

Mascherano on the other side has always been an overrated player (as it tends to happen with many argentinians) but he's still miles ahead of the guy who shares the defensive double pivot with Reo-Cocker (Collins or Mullins, something like that).

Best:
I wouldn't rate Tevez as a worst buy, his case is like Aimar's, only much much worst. He went to a team where no one has skills, creativity or sensibility to play along with him and create football. They are running machines prepared to hit and charge against the opposition defenders until a lucky goal comes in by a rebound. He has no one to play with.
To make things worst, their manager (as many european managers) prefers big beasts like Harewood or the 80 years old Sheringham. And while Zamora is not bad, he's not a partner for talents like Tevez. Would any of you seriously prefer any of these players over Tevez?
So he's not a worst buy, he belongs to a list called "worst moves for talented players".

Mascherano on the other side has always been an overrated player (as it tends to happen with many argentinians) but he's still miles ahead of the guy who shares the defensive double pivot with Reo-Cocker (Collins or Mullins, something like that).

Totally agree with this.

Yeah that may be the case, Tevez has not really had a chance. He has shown glimpses of quality but his overall performances have been nothing to write home about.

My team linfield fc:D

best and worse player we bought in the summer.

best: Mark Dickson, mark has been good in all the games he has played this season, although he can't get in becuz are first 2 regulars peter thompson and glen ferguson are the two strikers that won the clean sweep last year.

Worse player: we'll since we only signed three players in the summer, mark dickson(above), Kris lindsey and thomas stewart( formally wolves), i will say thomas stewart has been the worse, just because he has'nt lived up to wat was expected since coming from a full time club like wolves, but hopefully he will settle in and win more stuff with the club.

EDIT: I've changed my mind, Thomas Stewart is not the worse player.Timmy Adamson is the worse player in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Celtic best signing has been Lee Naylor from Wolves, noone was excited when he came but he is a solid LB and can deliver a great ball in, Jiri Jarosik has to be the worst, does nothing for the team at all.

Other good buys

Kanu (Portsmouth) So many goals from a player who was awful last year.

Fabio Simplico (Palermo) superb player too good to be at Parma and moving Palermo up a level

Diego (Werder) So many people thought he'd fall on his arse, 8 goals 10 assists is an amazing record so far

Jeremy Toulalan (Lyon) Mamadou Who? seemless transition after the loss of Diarra he's stepped in like he's always played there, and stopping Alou getting a game

Worst Buys

Claude Davis (Sheff Utd) What an awful defender, everytime the ball comes near him it's like a bombscare, not worth 3 million

Julio Baptista (Arsenal) Where did Wenger actually think he was gonna play him, he doesn't seem to have a position in the team, i think it was a panic signing

Ricardo Oliviera (Milan) Did Ancelotti actually think he'd fill the Shevchenko void, now if they want to win the Champions League they have to find another quality striker that isn't Cup-Tied

Johan Micoud (Bordeaux)It's the same with Players as it is with Woman, You never go back, Bordeaux did so well last year now they had to change their system to suit Johan and it's went down the Shitter.

Filip Sebo (Rangers) Couldn't hit a cows arse with a Banjo, poor poor Striker, to follow in the long line of bad rangers signings, this was a panic buy from Le Guen because all the good Le Championnat players said no to him

Rui Costa (Benfica) Can't help but think that all that wage money could have went to better use.

Good thread this, I wonder who we will all be saying after the January buys, I think Henrik Larsson will be a fantastic signing for Man Utd, not just in games but how much Saha and Rooney will learn from training with a top top striker, especially Saha, movement, finishing etc.

Back
Top Bottom