Xabi Alonso, best passer in the world?

AgentSmithMatrix

League 1
14 July 2004
Liverpool
He most certainly is.

I've no doubt if he hadn't gotten injured, the fourth place would already have been cemented because he is that influential. His performance against Spurs on Saturday was truly astonishing considering that he's just come back from injury. Anyways, I've made a compilation and I'm sure after you've seen it you're gonna find it hard to disagree when I say that he is the best passer in the world.

I've posted this on Mininova, KopTalk, MaXxed Football Forums, PESFan and PESInsight. Anyways, you're going to need to have a bittorrent client installed if you wanna see it.

Here's the link: http://www.mininova.org/get/31263/Alonso.wmv.torrent

I haven't really seen him play that much to agree with you but he is a really good player if Liverpool sell Gerrad they will have a good player to replace him.

I dont agree with you.. There are many players that can pass way better that Xabi Alonso, but hes world class stuff.

Well, for that person who doesn't know any other players that are as good as X. Alonso to give such brilliant, precise and nice long/short passes AND to play with such relaxed and overview, X. Alonso is the best passer in the world. But when it comes to top division players around the world, I haven't seen that good passing ability's like X. Alonso's. So yeah, until I see someone better, Alonso will be the one I claim as the best passer in the world today. Besides, there are like 1, 2, 3... million players I don't know... Heh.

This is one of those threads designed to create as much argument as possible, its up there with
"Is Phil Babb Liverpools greatest defender?"
"Jan Molby, slimmest player in the world ever!"
and "Wayne Rooney, is he the ugliest player in football?"

Alonso is good but he still has plenty to learn, hopefully he will do that with us

CWright said:
Alonso is good but he still has plenty to learn, hopefully he will do that with us

he's not some kid he's been playing in one of the best leagues for a very good team in real sociedad, he's taken a bit of a drop playing for the mickeys but his class is there to be seen...

xabi's class and we've really missed him since fat frank broke his ankle, but here's something that might suprise you about his pass completion, i know stats don't tell the full story but i was very suprised when i saw this

From liverpoolfc.tv

Xabi Alonso's spectacular return to action might have prompted some pundits to suggest he's the best passer of a ball to pull on the Red shirt since John Barnes in 1987 but is he even the most accurate passer in the current Liverpool team?
According to official Barclays Premiership statistics, Alonso is not even amongst the top 10 most accurate passers in Rafael Benitez's side. The honour of best passer of a ball in the current team actually goes to Anfield cult hero Igor Biscan who registers a successful pass completion rate of 67%.

Academy graduates Neil Mellor and Stephen Warnock follow close behind with 65% and 63% success rates with Fernando Morientes and Vladimir Smicer tied in fourth place with 61%.

Florent Sinama-Pongolle, currently out with a broken leg, comes fifth with 60% while strikers Milan Baros and Djibril Cisse can both boast very respectable successful pass completion rates of 59%.

Behind the two strikers, Djimi Traore and Dietmar Hamann are both tied on 55%.

For the record, Xabi Alonso can boast a 54% pass completion rate while Jamie Carragher has made the most passes in the Premiership for Liverpool this season. Of the 183 passes Carragher attempted, 96 proved successful.

I definitely agree that Rooney is the ugliest player in the world CW...but that clearly is a provocation of you to create some aggro (smiley)

Seriously, Xabi Alonso is great but i still think Valeron is the best.
Oh and Milanista, having a bad day only two Milan players and mentioning Lampard???

alonso is good but not great yet

I would say Pirlo is the best and ronaldinho is the cleverest.

go back a couple of years it would have been zidane by a country mile

fishcake said:
xabi's class and we've really missed him since fat frank broke his ankle, but here's something that might suprise you about his pass completion, i know stats don't tell the full story but i was very suprised when i saw this

From liverpoolfc.tv

(continues...)

Passing rate does not show the real passing ability of a player... it's not the same giving a back pass to a defender than giving a goal assist... so you cannot rate a player using those stats.

tato said:
Passing rate does not show the real passing ability of a player... it's not the same giving a back pass to a defender than giving a goal assist... so you cannot rate a player using those stats.

Well said, as much as I love Xabi Alonso's vision and accuracy I don't think he is the best passer in the world...yet
normal-smile.gif

Can somebody check with OPTA stats(for Premiership stats only)on this? I'd love to know...I love Xabi,this man could be playing for Real but chooses Liverpool instead,its all passion in him.

well he is good, but the best. nah.

tato said it right, even i could be the best passer in the world if it just meant passing back to defenders, and I have square feet :mrgreen:.
for me, Deco, Zidane, Beckham, Pirlo, and a few others.
Cruyf said that Deco knew better than anyone how to pass a ball, he even descibed it as near perfect, cause he puts the ball in others players feets in a way that is super easy for them to dominate the lovely sphere!

Well now that I remember 2 weeks ago the pass of Deco to Etoo from the midfield i'm starting to believe!

I don't think so, the spanish is a very good passer but are many player in a better level as Frank Lampard, Andrea Pirlo, Iván De La Peña, Ronaldinho... as passers.

phrase, you're right. Passionate for footy - not going to Real was a good move for him and I think he's definitely a Liverpool type player. As for Fishcake's stats - we are not worthy! Personally, talking about Liverpool, he passes as well as Molby used to. Please don't keep mentioning fat Frank - he ruined Alonso's season.:(

Alonso IS a great passer of the ball, he's up there with the best...one ability that he does have he can use either foot aswell.

That pass that he hit to set up Riise goal against Blackburn(in the 2-2 draw) was the best i've seen all season...

Back
Top Bottom