[XBO Exclusive] Rise of the Tomb Raider

Will buy it as cheap as possible when it's eventually on PC, insulting to supporters of its fanbase, double dipped the last one on PC/PS4.

I've never bought any of the console exclusive games as a protest. More should follow my great example! I even own an XBOX360 and stuck to my code when Red Dead Redemption turned out to be exclusive. I really wanted to play that one...

Not 100% confirmed yet that's exclusive for XBO or only timed exclusive. My guess is that it's timed exclusive, unless SE are completely idiots.

My understanding from the developers follow up statements (sorry, I can't find the link) was that the game was basically not getting made without Microsoft making the investment. Despite selling a few million copies of the Tomb Raider reboot across 5 platforms, apparently it made little to no money.

Who knows if Sony turned it down (they aren't flush with cash and already bankroll Uncharted) before Microsoft rescued the franchise? Either way, I don't get the hate. Without Microsoft, there would be no new Tomb Raider. And, at least for me, Tomb Raider started with Microsoft as a DOS platform game. The PSX version was a terrible port of the 3DFX version.

Wouldn't we rather see another great game instead of no game? I hope this means that they've got the cash to make another Sleeping Dogs game now as well. I'd hate to see that series quit at one game. Just buy both consoles, there are going to be great exclusives for both.

I don't get the hate.

Can only speak for myself but it's not hate, just contempt at the decision, same as I have contempt for MS with the way the Xbone reveal was handled and the way they've done all their flip-flopping and backtracking ever since, that and it being a visibly weaker machine that they're using their muscle to ensure parity with some devs despite those of us buying games for other platforms.

Enjoyed the last Tomb Raider, can only assume Microsoft paid quite a lot for this to be an exclusive.

But seriously doubt this would change anyone's mind about which console they are going to purchase.

My understanding from the developers follow up statements (sorry, I can't find the link) was that the game was basically not getting made without Microsoft making the investment. Despite selling a few million copies of the Tomb Raider reboot across 5 platforms, apparently it made little to no money.

Who knows if Sony turned it down (they aren't flush with cash and already bankroll Uncharted) before Microsoft rescued the franchise? Either way, I don't get the hate. Without Microsoft, there would be no new Tomb Raider. And, at least for me, Tomb Raider started with Microsoft as a DOS platform game. The PSX version was a terrible port of the 3DFX version.

Wouldn't we rather see another great game instead of no game? I hope this means that they've got the cash to make another Sleeping Dogs game now as well. I'd hate to see that series quit at one game. Just buy both consoles, there are going to be great exclusives for both.

Tomb raider sequel was confirmed a while back which then was slated for release on all current platforms, to which ms must have gave them a ton of money to make it exclusive one can only assume. There is no hating from my end, i understand it's a business first over everything else, i just don't feel it is the smartest move on there behalf. tomb raider still sold really well, square enix just had unrealistic expectations for alot of there franchises for a while.

Regarding sleeping dogs, i'm pretty sure there is a sequel on the way, sure i seen it reported somewhere.

Tomb raider sequel was confirmed a while back which then was slated for release on all current platforms, to which ms must have gave them a ton of money to make it exclusive one can only assume. There is no hating from my end, i understand it's a business first over everything else, i just don't feel it is the smartest move on there behalf. tomb raider still sold really well, square enix just had unrealistic expectations for alot of there franchises for a while.

Regarding sleeping dogs, i'm pretty sure there is a sequel on the way, sure i seen it reported somewhere.

The money issue sounded similar to the "money issue" Sony had with the new Amazing Spiderman 2 movie. Despite it selling a shit-ton of tickets and making hundreds of millions of dollars ($708 million according to Wikipedia), it still performed well under Sony's expectations and now production has slowed waaaay down on Amazing Spiderman 3. I'm assuming the profits were eaten up by production costs ($250+ million), marketing costs ($200+ million), and then whatever percentage goes to Marvel for licensing (?)...

... Anyways, I can't find the link anymore because of all the news that has come out over the past few days, but the quotes from the developers were that Square Enix were not enthusiastic about doing a quick sequel for the rebooted Tomb Raider because despite great sale (6 million as of June 2014 per wikipedia) that it took quite a while for the game to turn a profit (the first 4 million in sales covered costs per wikipedia again). By partnering with just Microsoft (or just Sony, hypothetically) they will likely get "free" marketing and a major push from Microsoft which will boost future franchise sales.

Lara Croft was once the top of the heap for video game characters. I think Square Enix were surprised the reboot didn't simply print money for them. Going with Microsoft is probably the better move right now where Tomb Raider will get top billing in its genre. On the PS4, it'd probably be second banana to Uncharted at this point.

Back
Top Bottom