Your Favorite Book

danwin

Oak Hard
1 December 2003
I haven't read a book in ages, the last book I read was The Rules Of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis, which was great. So has anyone got any recommendations or personal favorites? I really need to start reading more.

if you like Ellis, read American Psycho. the rest he wrote wasn't half as good. i read Glamorama recently, very boring 800 pages.

i always like Lord Of The Rings a lot, definitely worth reading if you're not fed up with all the movies and games about it recently. Terry Pratchett is always nice to read, as well as John Earving. and another one i always liked: Stiller by Max Frisch, but i'm not sure if the translation is worth reading.

Yeah, I've read most of Ellis' books, has anyone read any Phillip K Dick? He's a fantastic Sci-Fi writer. I'm not spamming am I? Someone be sure to tell me if I am.

The Bourne Identity (and the rest of the trilogy); Brian Clough - Walking On Water. Love them. Currently reading Rainbow Six and it's nowhere near as good as Bourne - really over-technical, no emotion.

Girlfriend in a come - a fanstasy/thriller book, totally excellent.

or the dave pelzer books are always good for a true life story, very gripping . .

The Acid House - Irvine Welsh
Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
Figuranten - Arnon Grunberg
De Asielzoeker - Arnin Grunberg
Hurricane - Carl Hiaasen

roy keane: how to make arsenal shit themselves.... i mean autobiography :p good book.
though the best sports book i read has to be tony cascarinos book, some of it read like fiction.

Don Domenico said:
The Last Don - Mario Puzo
The Sicilian - Mario Puzo

The Sicilian was great indeed, haven't read The Last Don. If you like books about the mafia, go and read the books about Paul Castellano and John Gotti. I also read the book about the Russian mafia written by Robert Friedman, shocking book.

In Dutch: Omega Minor by Paul Verhaeren
Ask the Dusk by John Fante
The Bonfire of Vanities by Tom Wolff
Everything by Thomas Pynchon
Everything by Michael Dibdin (thrillers)
The last book by Carlos Fuentes: The chair of the Eagle

joostebrood said:
The Sicilian was great indeed, haven't read The Last Don. If you like books about the mafia, go and read the books about Paul Castellano and John Gotti. I also read the book about the Russian mafia written by Robert Friedman, shocking book.

I'll try to find them. Books about Castellano and Gotti, as in biographies? Or do you mean fictional books, just based on Castellano and Gotti?

Last edited:
It's brainless reading but I really enjoy reading the Dirk Pitt stories by Clive Cussler. It's very James Bond in it's style so they are just great fun to read. I also love reading Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Peter James writes a good story. My brother got me the 3 Halo books for Xmas, I was really skeptical about them but actually they are really well written. I will also be brave and admit to reading the 5 Harry Potter books :D

This is about comics, but the Metal Gear Solid comics stink. I thought they were going to be about big boss and co, but instead its just Metal Gear Solid summed up as a comic.

Don Domenico said:
I'll try to find them. Books about Castellano and Gotti, as in biographies? Or do you mean fictional books, just based on Castellano and Gotti?

Biographies, the one about Castellano is written from the point of view of the FBI. It's quite fascinating to see how they work and what the mafia does to avoid them.

I enjoyed the Da Vinci code, but it was sold as fiction so I aint too worried about it being a load of bobbins, I thought the style in which it was written was good.

Not sure what my favourite book of all time is, but I have read everything that Michael Crichton has done, I think his way of conveying a story is amazing, Jurassic Park and The Lost World are probably my favourites, neither film done the book justice, esp The Lost World.

Another author I highly rate is Timothy Zahn, he wrote a Star Wars trilogy set after the orginal 3 movies and then another couple of books a few years later. For me they really just seemed to continue the SW story perfectly. I have just checked another SW book by him was released in Dec, will have to track that down then! Wahoo.

Last edited:
joostebrood said:
Biographies, the one about Castellano is written from the point of view of the FBI. It's quite fascinating to see how they work and what the mafia does to avoid them.

I see, thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

- Baudolino, written by Umberto Eco is a good book as well (non-mafia though).

Holio said:
I enjoyed the Da Vinci code, but it was sold as fiction so I aint too worried about it being a load of bobbins, I thought the style in which it was written was good.

sold as fiction but on the opening couple of pages it tries to state fact about a secret organisation living today that were supposed desendants from christ. if d.brown had done his research properly (which he probably did, but went ahead anyway, for the love of the green) then he would have found that this secret organisation was made up by a couple of french people in the 1950's., who later admitted to making it up and publishing a book on it. so it slightly pisses me off a bit when this info was readliy available to researchers but the guy decided to go ahead with the book and make it seem like fact intwined with fiction.

Back
Top Bottom