your worst moment/memory in football...

A

Adonis

Not sure if this has been posted before, so plz excuse me if it has.

I was thinking the other day about my worst memory in footy. Obviously one of the main ones was the scousers coming back unbelievably against AC Milan in last years champions league final.

But on a 'near death experience' the Euro 2000 final was easily the worst. Ive been following Italy ever since I was born because my Grandad was in the Italian Army so he influenced the teams I support heavily.

The fact we were only around 30secs away from winning the tournament was just agony...:( and then to have the match taken away by a Golden goal was even worse.

So whats your worst moment?

Oh how I remember that match. But as always one man's glory is another man's sadness same way one man's treasure is another's trash.

Anyways I remember being a French NT fan since Euro 96 so I cheered them on in that tournament led by Djorkaeff a very young Zidane and rest of the players and then 98 and I couldn't stop jumping around when Wiltord and Trezeguet scored those vital goes to make them Euro champs against Italy as well.

I did feel bad for Italy though but I was so happy!

Anyways so you're Italian or half? if you dont mind telling that is.. if you do forget it.

For some reason I can't even remember or think of, I always thought you were Greek or had something to do with there I don't know maybe because of the name "Adonis"? WAs I totally wrong?

PLF said:
Oh how I remember that match. But as always one man's glory is another man's sadness same way one man's treasure is another's trash.

Anyways I remember being a French NT fan since Euro 96 so I cheered them on in that tournament led by Djorkaeff a very young Zidane and rest of the players and then 98 and I couldn't stop jumping around when Wiltord and Trezeguet scored those vital goes to make them Euro champs against Italy as well.

I did feel bad for Italy though but I was so happy!

Anyways so you're Italian or half? if you dont mind telling that is.. if you do forget it.

For some reason I can't even remember or think of, I always thought you were Greek or had something to do with there I don't know maybe because of the name "Adonis"? WAs I totally wrong?

You cheered for France! how could you!...;)

Nah Im not Italian at all. Was born in Manchester. Just blame my Grandad

Its just because from an early age I never really saw much of my dad so my Grandad was my main father figure. He used to travel back and forth from Italy because of the army. Funnily enough he was the only person into footy, so because he supported AC Milan and Italy it rubbed off onto me.

It wasnt hard for me to fall in love with those teams though. I remeber WC Italia '90 when Roberto Baggio was unbeilevable. And one of my first matches For AC Milan I saw the legend that was/is George Weah

As for Adonis...well thats another story. Just a nickname from some of my mates. Lets just say I love the ladies and from my name Adam they created Adonis. Hardly an insult ;) and it stuck.

anyways, whats your worst memory then? all you seemed to post was how great France were!

Well I left that out for the first post because both it was getting a bit long and also there is more than 1 or 2 bad experiences football-wise for Iran.

At least 2-3 times now we've faced the country's biggest rival and most hated (Saudi Arabia) and have seen the worst refereeing a country has had to endure.

One time it was so bad (remember this is a good 7-8 years ago so Fifa were less trict and the international game and hype was mostly on Europe so African and Asian cup matches could have some pretty f'cked up stuff happen and the European people wouldn't take notice not like they do now cuz back then only people who would watch it would be Asians but now just look at how many of us followed ACN so times have changed) so this one time there was Saudi Arabia vs. Iran in yet another very important match with an EGYPTIAN referee. I'll never forget this guy's face.. no Iranian ever will! 65M people wanted to beat the $hit out of him because he had clearly been paid by the Rich Arabs.

That was his last ever game at international stage, after that Fifa apparently reviews the tape and decided there is clearly some bias here but its all fishy as they never ordered a re-match or changed the results something like that so from what I heard in newspapers (I was very young at time so this whole experience is a bit sketchy in my mind) was to NOT referee another high profile international match nonetheless I'm sure he didn't care. Those arabs will pay you so much that you don't have to ever work again and will leave in extreme luxury but one thing is for sure that day Iran got screwed!!

I remember several occassions where he did the most wrong thing possible! For example our striker was clean through on goal (I think it was Azizi not sure) the little agile man had gotten way ahead of his last DEFENDER so what the guy did was just throw a two-footed tackle from behind and get NONE of the ball and this is outside box so surely a Red card must be given but no all the referee did was give a FOUL lol and a warning! A goal robbed, Azizi injured with the most malicious tackle and a foul was given.

Later on he sent off 2 Iranians for fouls that didn't even deserve a yellow and oh man it was a mess.. Saudis really needed help that match and they had spent their money wisely cuz they got it.. couple PK's not called in our favour as well and finally some players were losing it and got sent off. I think that left a really bitter taste in our mouths and our hatred for the Arab population in footballing terms even increased after that! this past Asian cup Iran got screwed against China whom they wanted BADLY in the finals when it was us who should've been there against Japan if you watch the tape from a non-biased point of view as several of my friends have you'll know what I mean as I don't want to get into it now but there is justice as China who should've been eliminated by us in Semis went to finals and got their asses kicked by Japan!

Anyways as you can see quite long and I didn't know if reading it would be any interesting so I left it out at first post.

p.s. So you're an English man 100% or your grandpa was Italian? I mean I'm assuming that since you said he was in Italian Army which makes you what 25% Italian?

Finally I'm a ladies lover too and have a nickname with friends here that is very meaningful which a girl actually gave me once ;) (A Nice half Lebanese-half British chick I met, she was foreign-exchange and MY GOD!!! :mrgreen: :) ) but I don't use that as my username.. for obvious purposes and questions as well ;)

anyway.. now I'm seeing a Romanian girl for almost a year now ;), gotta head out or I'll be late.

Have good night everyone.

latez

Last edited:
arsenal losing in the semi's of the fa cup in 1999. seems pathetic now but i was young (9 i think) and its the only time i've ever cried after a match. being so young and naive 98 we seemed invincible and i guess i thought we'd never lose again.

also countless CL exits, particularly the one against chelski. that arsenal team is most likely the best i will ever be lucky to see and it was so meant to be our year.......*sigh*

I have too many, Gazza mising the ball in Euro 96, then the pens. My youngest was clearly pens against Germany, not a great introduction to Englang and major tournys. Let me see , Ronaldinho scoring that amazing fluke. Oh and getting beat by Portugal on guess what pens. To club football , loosing the chance to be the first scottish team to win 10 in a row was pretty grim, Celtic nicking it on the last day of the season tho that has came to us twice in recent years but still THEY know how much that would have ment. How I look forward to many of these upsetting moments in the future.

I have two bad memories:

In 1985 having to watch the Heysel final between Liverpool and Juventus. I had tickets but i had an exam the day after and so i sold my tickets to other people...when i realized that i could be in "Vak Z" where it all happened ...not able to describe this...

The fact that my favourite football team (RWDM) ceased to exist due to a decision of... my wife...it's a long story...but in the end it all came down to one decision by off all people my wife...i must say that she took the right decision but i was not very happy... (neither was she)...I know that this may seem an unbelievable story but it is the thruth.

Of course the first one is worse...

1985 aged 10 watching the Juventus Liverpool game on TV from Heysel, with my Candy Paints shirt on... and then watching that wall collapse on all those people. I actually stopped watching/following football for about 7 years.. then picked up again when i met Wrighty! :D

On another note, Arsenal hitting the bar, and missing countless chances versus Leeds in the 1999 Premiership run in.. only for Hasselbaink to come off the bench and score a diving header to beat us, and hand the title to United. On a similar vien, the Nayim lob, the loss to Galatasaray where Taffarel had the game of his life, and losing our winning run to United last season by being too soft and not being able to stand up to being kicked off the park... Reyes... first spaniard in space courtesy of Mr G Neville!

The Nayim lob - was terrible. I was on Holiday with my folks in Portugal and we were watching it in a bar when the tv suddenly switched off! me and my dad were going mental for them to sort out the tv and when they did all we saw was a replay of the ball going over Seaman!

That was depressing - and it happened on holiday aswell.

Also losing in the champions league against Chelsea - we played so well in the first half then played atrocious in the second half. That was our best chance of the champions league - I don't think we will have a chance like that for a long while!

Also the world cups and Euro championships with England - always dissapointed!

This season with Arsenal aswell is one of my worst times - as people expect so much of us now and we are not delivering - very frustrating.

yeh PLF i guess im 1/4 italian, never realy thought of it like that! Well when watching Italy I get very passionate so it sound about right!

Another moment for me was the final group game in Euro 2004. Cassano scored a last minute goal to put us through to the next round, only for Denmark and Sweden to get a very unlikely 3-3 draw! The only result that couldve knocked us out if we won our own game!

It was fixed I tell thee! ;)

France '98 Semi Final vs. Brazil. The ref didnt give us a PK when Pierre van hooydonk was pulled down in the last seconds of injury time of second half. And then the misses of Cocu and R. de Boer.

Euro 2000 was even more awfull. In our own country losing the semi's to Italy when we should have won easily, 2 Pk's missed in normal time, and a ball on the post by Bergkamp, just couldnt believe it. Knew we had lost when it came to penalties at the end, and offcourse we did. Toldo was so on fire that day, it was unbelievable...

2001, qualifier against Ireland, we had to win, but lost 1-0 and missed out on the worldcup, despite having a superb squad of players.

CL final 1996, Ajax losing on pens against Juve, but we won the year before plus the worldcup, so i wasnt too devastated...

With Scotland it was probably in France '98. We went 1-0 down to Brasil in the opening match of the tournament, equalised, only to eventually lose 2-1 thanks to a very unfortunate own goal from Tom Boyd. Also, beating the Netherlands 1-0 in the 1st leg of the Euro 2004 playoffs then getting absolutely horsed in the return match in Amsterdam was tough to take.

With Celtic it's easy, 02/03 season. Losing in Seville to Mourinho's Porto then coming home to have Rangers win the league by a penalt...sorry, 'goal' on the last day of the season. Motherwell last year doesn't even compare.

France vs Bulgaria in November 93

Kostadinov kill France at the 90' and French national team don't go to WC 94 with a great players, Cantona, Papin, Ginola, Blanc, Desailly, Deschamps...
I remember France need 1 point and too last game at home (Parc des Princes)
France 2 - 3 Israel (Strange, France win 0 - 4 on Israel)
France 1 - 2 Bulgaria

I remember France, Sweden, Bulgaria in the same group
and in USA 94 Sweden and Bulgaria finish in Semi Final lol

:(

but after this terrible moment, few players stop and a new generation coming, Zidane, Djorkaeff, Karembeu etc..

ThomasGOAL said:
France vs Bulgaria in November 93

Kostadinov kill France at the 90' and French national team don't go to WC 94 with a great players, Cantona, Papin, Ginola, Blanc, Desailly, Deschamps...
I remember France need 1 point and too last game at home (Parc des Princes)
France 2 - 3 Israel (Strange, France win 0 - 4 on Israel)
France 1 - 2 Bulgaria

I remember France, Sweden, Bulgaria in the same group
and in USA 94 Sweden and Bulgaria finish in Semi Final lol

:(

but after this terrible moment, few players stop and a new generation coming, Zidane, Djorkaeff, Karembeu etc..

I remember that... Ginola lost the ball in the corner, and then Bulgaria went up the other side and scored. Houllier then went on TV and told everyone to hate Ginola and his family! What a sad man Houllier is!

the worst moment at all was the final of USA94.. it was the first football match I really suffered for.. well, I thought that AC Milan (who won 4-0 in Athens against Barça that year.. bye bye mr. Cruyff!!) and Italy were unbeatable.. we passed the round robin not very well (3rd place if I don't go wrong, I was only 8 so it looks a little blured to me) and we had a row of three 2-1 wins so we qualified to the final, and then Baresi, Massaro and finally Baggio missed their PKs, and we lost it.. the first world cup I ever saw, lost that way.. I was astonished..
Most people around me were saying "Well, Brazil is way better than Italy, they deserved to win" but I couldn't realize we had lost that match..

when you're 8 you feel that you, and the things you believe in, are invincible.. for an AC Milan fan that had also seen his team destroy Barcelona just a few weeks before, it has been very hard to face the first great loss of an important match..

Last edited:
I also remember that match against Bulgaria and that late Kostadinov goal...
Although i am fond of French football when i was watching this match i was quite elated by the Bulgarian goal...
I remember this match was live on TF1 with the terrible (chauvinistic) duo Thiery Roland and Jean Michel Larque. In the last minutes they were already speaking of France as one of the favourites to win that World Cup...rather arrogant... and then Kostadinov scored his goal and when they realised that France was out for the World Cup they thought they would win...they just went silent....sad for French football...but you just should have heard those two jokers...the worst commentators i ever heard...

CL 03/04 last game of the group stage

we lost to chelsea 2:0 in germany but it would be enough to advance as long as sparta praha and lazio play 0:0.stoppage time, peruzzi mistake and sparta wins 1:0.damn, i was almost crying.

and the other game was vs valerenga oslo a few years go, we lost in norway 1:0 but lead 3:0 at half time in istanbul.a young guy named john carew entered the spotlight and the score was 3:3 at the end.

- Those UEFA 92/93 and Cup Winners' Cup 93/94 games against Paris Saint-Germain... A whole bunch of corner kicks thrown by Valdo that seemed unstoppable.

- '94 WC quarter-final Italy-Spain, when Tassotti smashes Luis Enrique's face in the box and Sandor Puhl... does nothing. Then Julio Salinas is one-on-one with Pagliuca... and misses. Baggio did not miss a minute later.

- '02 Spain-South Korea quarter-final, two legal golden-goals stolen! :(

- Euro '00 quarter-final, France 2-Spain 1: Raúl misses the PK and France goes through (amazing Zinedine Zidane). The darned Cañizares was incapable of properly stopping a shot. Casillas should have definetely played that year, way better keeper.

That's pretty much it. There was a painful Barça 5-0 Madrid, but it was only 12 months later that we gave it back 5-0 at the Bernabéu, so that bitter feeling went away very quickly. There was a very sad game against Spartak Moscow in 1990/1991 European Cup (quarter final), but I was too young to really notice.

ac milan-juventus 1-6
ac milan- boca juniors 1-1
deportivo la coruna - ac milan 4-0 (1-4)
milan.liverpool 3-3

Deportivo 4-0 Milan... I cried after the match.

I also find it very hard to lose to Inter, as it ruins the month, like the recent derby in January.

France 2-1 Italy in 2000 was one hell of a painful memory, we were just a few seconds off the cup.

Another would be Italy-Korea, where the dip ship Byron Moreno seemed to do everything against Italy.

The Istanbul final doesnt really hurt as much... I saw it coming some how at half time.

Milanista said:
The Istanbul final doesnt really hurt as much... I saw it coming some how at half time.
I think so.. maybe because we did all the possible (and also beyond) to lose it?
Depor-Milan 4-0 for me has been way worse, because I couldn't see that match and the only way I could get info was from that stupid, $hitty sms from the friends of mine that supported inter..
"you losers.. three nil!!" and then "four nil.. you suck!!"
The worse part of that night, was that I couldn't know if it was really happening or if it was a joke.. because I neither was home nor I could watch the game on TV somewhere else..

The worst moment for me was when Zahovic and Katanec had a conflict in the '02 WC and then both quit the Slovenian NT. Probably the worst moment in the Slovenian football history. Katanec was by far the best Slovenian NT coach and Zaho was one of the best players. Slovenian NT struggles after that incident.

F.A cup final
Man utd 0 arsenal 0
A.E.T
Arsenal win 5-4 on penalties
Arsenal shots on target:one (on the last minuete of extra time free-kick)
Manchester united shots on target 10

Corners Afc:0
MUFC:8
we were robbed so lucke they were.

Well, since i support a second division Brazilian team, i could say that last year, in a Final Four Stage, my team was second, and could lose by a goal in the last match to go to Brazilian First Division, and of course we lost 2-0.
I really died that day. And felt sad for two weeks at least.

Well, when i was young (91-95) i lived in France, and then of course i remember that Kostadinov goal. A very nice shot...

Being Brazilian, i won't say that the 98 Finale was a bad moment... I liked France and after the game i felt happy for them. If now I can't stand them anymore is maybe the way everyone says "3-0!" when i say i am brazilian here... and then their lack of new players generation, new kids playing some ugly soccer.

I wasn't born in 1950 (1988...) ... but i think that, when you love football in Brazil, everyone tells you about the country sadness after losing that 208.000 supporters world cup final match against Uruguay. It is like that's a part of our culture, as it is something that people have to talk to their children, to tell the story.

And to finish...
The day Brazil lost 2-0 to Honduras... I've said... "Where are we going?" I felt really scared about that. Thinking if we had unlearned how to play. Happily we won in 2002.

Every day Brazil loses against Argentina is a Black day. Those that you just take off of your calendar...

I've felt a little bad also when Marseille lost Valencia 0-2 in Rasunda. I don't like them, even if i was living (and live now) in the South of France. I had just watched the Semifinals against Newcastle and they showed a really nice soccer, i was hoping them to win. And then there was Collina... and i can't stand him now :)

Back
Top Bottom