Zidane / Materazzi

MO_DINERO said:
Mauras, what Zidane did was wrong BUT a player of his class who usually is calm and collective to react in such a vicious manner, you have to admit Matatwatzzi must have said something completely unacceptable for him to react this way

Its not Zidane's first time. Hes elbowed and headbutted at least more than 10 times in his career. Some very famous ones on google.

Materazzi is know as a twat... but for me there is no excuses for what Zizou did.

Zidane is an example for too much people and childrens.

What's the message ? Violence against words ?

Second thing... how many versions do we have to listen to ?
Mother, Sister, Muslim, Terrorist... did they speak for two hours ?

I really want to hear Zizou and not those theories without any sure source.

BoarderMX said:
The one and only thing that happened was that...

Zidane fell into Materazzi's game

This can be seen in any country, there are players that are verbally attacked every game, but only the smart ones can handle that pressure

Exactly.

Milanista said:
Its not Zidane's first time. Hes elbowed and headbutted at least more than 10 times in his career. Some very famous ones on google.

links ? ?

MO_DINERO said:
Mauras, what Zidane did was wrong BUT a player of his class who usually is calm and collective to react in such a vicious manner, you have to admit Matatwatzzi must have said something completely unacceptable for him to react this way

Mate, I used to think that untill I researched and...

...found out Zidane had nothing less than 14 sent offs in his professional career! Not the angel we tend to associate with his cool image.

It's so obvious.. no matter what materazzi (a known pig in italy) says Zidane is smiling a few seconds before the incident.. then, no matter what the italian says, he awaits to check if the ref has gone by and only then he turns to hit him. It's not the "I flipped out for a second, what happened?" moment. Zidane thought about it in those seconds.. simply no excuse for it and most of all a scandalous award to him. What FIFA deserved was similar moments from now on.

Milanista said:
You become crazy Milanista !?
do that one time with Juventus in CL vs Hamburger

obviously zizou has a temper problem, what both players have done is childish, had the ref heard what materazi said(and it was as bad as they say), then perhaps he would have been sent off as well.. the ref did not, and zizou gets all the blame, i just cant beleive zidane would fall for the oldest trick in the book, this has been going on in sport for hundreads of years... and in the biggest game of his life, he falls for it... unreal...

Milanista said:
True, I've seen two incidents before playing for Juventus and Madrid.

...Mauras my condolences for your bereavement mate, I wish you and your family well

Last edited:
Kiske said:
And versus Saudi Arabia ?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/world/events/1998/worldcup/news/1998/06/18/france_saudi/

Don't missunderstand me. I do love Zizou, but he's human and as human he makes mistakes somethimes.
There are no reasons to answer with violence against words. That the kind of message everybody wait from an half-god like Zizou.
Yes but Milanista speak about headbutted and i know Zidane, can do that under provocation, but for do that in WC final for the last game and when France can win the game, i think it's a terrible words, don't forget Zidane have a bad moment yet with the mother.

What I reading here? Do we have IGNORANTS HERE? DO you STILL BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS?

Let Zizou tell the truth...

since zizou is muslim there can be religious things or maybe about his mother, we bave to hear from his mouth.

Peter Eyres said:
insulting someone's mother is what happens on a school play ground. It is no justification for such a stupid act of mindless violence.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

honestly i find this thread quite childish:(
i don't know what materazzi said to zidane, but obviously he must have insulted him some way, if zidane reacted that way. but WHATEVER HE SAID, ZIDANE REACTION WAS WORST.

what about frings, then? do u think frings is crazy? he too reacted to a provocation...... BUT I DIDN'T SEE ANY GERMAN OPENING A THREAD ABOUT IT.

just 1 last consideration. 2 years ago totti spitted poulsen. obviously even him reacted to a provocation, but every italian just blamed totti for his violent and disgusting reaction. :)

style, guys, style.

SPiTFiRE said:
What I reading here? Do we have IGNORANTS HERE? DO you STILL BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS?

Let Zizou tell the truth...

yes but today Materazzi said that no any word about terrorist or islam are used for Zidane!!! so Let's also Materazzi tell his truth...

Man, he's a professional athelete, a very experienced one at that. Part of being on that stage is putting up with the crap that other atheletes use to try and wind you up. Materazzi is f^&king tw$t, no one who has ever seen him play would argue with that. But the whole reason Zidane is loved and Materazzi hated is because Zidane doesn't stoop to the Italian's level. Until yesterday, and he'll never be able to erase that.

Massacre_1907 said:
what a bastard materazzi is! how can you say something like that about their religion..
I agree that Materazzi is one of the dirtiest cheaters (and foulers) that you can find on a football pitch..

but if this is real, I can justify neither Materazzi for being an asshole, nor Zidane for having reacted that way.

that's it.

Mauras said:
What a load of BULLSHIT.
Suggesting that anything Materazzi might have said justifies a professional refence player to headbutt another in front of millions is a product of a childish mind.
On the other hand newspapers are saying that Materazzi only talked about Zidane's sister.

Hugo Shanchez once told he always insulted the mother of the oposing keeper. That's usual CRAP between players, Zidane had no excuse and winning the WC player of the tournament is the biggest joke ever after that. What a great example by Fifa.

Man whatever, i hate hypocrites like you who talk like words can never rile them up. It's easy to hitch up on your high horse and smite everyone who shows some emotion.

And what's with the 'in front of millions' comment? John Prescott here in England showed a lot less restraint with some guy who egged him, he got cheered. Just coz Materazzi's nonsense wasnt visible on a camera doesnt make it any more acceptable. I wouldnt defend Zizou if he was just lashing out because of frustration like Rooney, but that numbnuts drove him to it. And if words are so harmless, I'd like you to take a walk through Haringey saying the N word to everyone. Good luck \\:o/

Peter Eyres said:
It is no justification for such a stupid act of mindless violence.

Mindless violence? As opposed to planned violence? I guess mindless violence would be less shameful then? Stop using so many buzzwords and try to formulate your own opinion. Nobody seems to note that Materazzi did the most blatant dive ever, his legs flew up in the air.

Last edited:
materazzi got exactly what he deserved. it is such a shame to see such a great player(zidane) sink to such a level though, especially on perhaps the greatest stage there is for a professional footballer.

its almost too hard to believe. a great career stained with one unforgettable moment on stupidity.

Vlad19 said:
Man whatever, i hate hypocrites like you who talk like words can never rile them up. It's easy to hitch up on your high horse and smite everyone who shows some emotion.

And what's with the 'in front of millions' comment? John Prescott here in England showed a lot less restraint with some guy who egged him, he got cheered. Just coz Materazzi's nonsense wasnt visible on a camera doesnt make it any more acceptable. I wouldnt defend Zizou if he was just lashing out because of frustration like Rooney, but that numbnuts drove him to it. And if words are so harmless, I'd like you to take a walk through Haringey saying the N word to everyone. Good luck \\:o/

Mindless violence? As opposed to planned violence? I guess mindless violence would be less shameful then? Stop using so many buzzwords and try to formulate your own opinion. Nobody seems to note that Materazzi did the most blatant dive ever, his legs flew up in the air.

:applause:

Materazzi is a mediocre thug. If the racial comments are verified, I'm sure there will be huge support for Zidane - even though, as noted, he did fall into that idiot's 'game', and there's little excuse for that. Wait till after the match, then headbutt him.

Where I was watching the match, no one cared about Italy's flimsy and essentially undeserved victory after Zidane went off. It was just...numbing.

I love Zidane, and still am numb about the whole incident. I'm sure there is a reason that set off Zizou's fuse. However, what ever was said does not make Zidane's actions a justifiable reason. 2 wrongs don't make a right. Zidane's retaliation is simply wrong and not something I would ever teach my kids to do, much less allow them to see that disturbing clip. It looked very disturbing and extremely violent.

True, we are not perfect. However we cannot use imperfection as a license to do what we please and call it right. What's wrong is wrong, and both Zidane and Materazzi are guilty. Ofcourse, it so happens that Zidane looks to be the only one guilty since it's his actions that showed on TV.

Unfortunately, Zidane lost the mind-game and all evidence points to him as being the agressor. The truth will come out, but it won't justify Zizou's actions by any means in my view.

Zidane, in spite of all this your still the greatest!

Last edited:
jflores said:
I love Zidane, and still am numb about the whole incident. I'm sure there is a reason that set off Zizou's fuse. However, what ever was said does not make Zidane's actions a justifiable reason. 2 wrongs don't make a right. Zidane's retaliation is simply wrong and not something I would ever teach my kids to do, much less allow them to see that disturbing clip. It looked very disturbing and extremely violent.

True, we are not perfect. However we cannot use imperfection as a license to do what we please and call it right. What's wrong is wrong, and both Zidane and Materazzi are guilty. Ofcourse, it so happens that Zidane looks to be the only one guilty since it's his actions that showed on TV.

Unfortunately, Zidane lost the mind-game and all evidence points to him as being the agressor. The truth will come out, but it won't justify Zizou's actions by any means in my view.

Zidane, in spite of all this your still the greatest!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
smartest post in this thread

Seriously, there are too many negative people on this board who are ready to pounce on incidents like this. Especially Mauras and his cronies.
No one earth is denying that Zidane shouldnt have done it.
The point is, although it was inexcusable, it was understandable. Sure he was wrong to do it but we're not in a position to be able to even fathom how serious or hurtful those comments were and its safe to say that what Materazzi said was definately crossing the line judging from Zidane's reaction.
This isnt a discussion about whether someone was offside or whether the ball crossed the line for a goal. These matters have a simple right or wrong answer. But what happened to Zidane is clearly something personal and unless you were in Zidane's shoes, I think no one here has the right to judge how right or wrong it was.
Zidane was only technically wrong because its obviously against the rules, but he was right in every other way IMO. If I was Zidane, I was would have done a super diving headbutt that impaled that bastards chest if the comments were anything like what I'm hearing.

yes zidane actually could have throw several punches while he were down and maybe spit on him in the end... o well still bad for football

Am I the only one who thinks what Materazzi did was great? I think he's a great defender and he was THE man of the match. Zidane was just stupid to react. Don't you think players try these things every day? Stop fucking crying about it, you make 10 million a year, it's the least you should expect. And all the people here on the forum putting the collars on and telling others how it is. It's laughable, this is also a part of life.

RuneEdge said:
Seriously, there are too many negative people on this board who are ready to pounce on incidents like this. Especially Mauras and his cronies.

I think no one here has the right to judge how right or wrong it was.

but he was right in every other way IMO.

sorry mate, but aren't u judging theese "negative people" now?

and when u say that in your opinion "he was right in every other way" aren't u judging too???

everybody here (u too) is just sharing his opinion ;)

Alot of this doesnt wash with me...

Im half irish and I stopped responding to terrorist jibes before I hit my teens so IMO its no excuse...

Also Zidane has been sent off about 13-14 times so why the big suprise...

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Alot of this doesnt wash with me...

Im half irish and I stopped responding to terrorist jibes before I hit my teens so IMO its no excuse...

Also Zidane has been sent off about 13-14 times so why the big suprise...

:applause:

Listen, Ive played footy at a higher level than most people know (my choice) and have had racial abuse many times. You either give mouth back or teach them with your football. Its a football pitch, not a boxing ring.

I will say this, if it was a comment regarding his dead mother then its something I cant comment on, as Im not sure how Id react.

Back
Top Bottom