Zidane / Materazzi

ThomasGOAL

Retired Footballer
15 March 2003
France
'I apologize to all the children'
Zidane contrite for headbutt, cites insults of family

PARIS (AP) -- French soccer star Zinedine Zidane apologized for head-butting an Italian opponent during the World Cup final, saying Wednesday that he was provoked by harsh insults about his mother and sister.

"I apologize, to all the children" who watched the match Sunday, Zidane said in his first, highly-awaited comments about the brutal act of violence that marked the end of his career.

The 34-year-old midfielder, soft-spoken and relaxed in the interview with Canal-Plus, did not specify exactly what Italian defender Marco Materazzi said that enraged him, but he said it was about his family.

"I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that," Zidane said, stressing that Materazzi's language was "very harsh," and that he repeated the insults several times.

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra-time. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground. Zidane was sent off, reducing France to 10 men. Italy went on to win in a penalty shootout.

The abrupt act of aggression marred the end of the World Cup, with many warning it would tarnish Zidane's formidable legacy.

The France captain said, however, that he felt no regret for his act, "because that would mean (Materazzi) was right to say all that."

"There was a serious provocation," said Zidane, who said he had never had tensions with Materazzi before.

"My act is not forgivable," Zidane said. "But they must also punish the true guilty party, and the guilty party is the one who provokes."

"I tell myself that if things happened this way, it's because somewhere up there it was decided that way," he said in a later interview on TF1 television. "And I don't regret anything that happened, I accept it."

For days, sports fans around the world have been riveted by the question: What could Materazzi have said to set Zidane off? Media from Brazil to Britain hired lip readers to try to figure it out, then came up with different answers.

Materazzi has acknowledged he insulted Zidane, without giving specifics. At nearly the same moment Zidane was on TV, excerpts from an interview that Materazzi gave were posted on an Italian paper's Web site. He denied insulting Zidane's mother.

"I didn't say anything to him about racism, religion or politics," Materazzi told the Gazzetta dello Sport. "I didn't talk about his mother either. I lost my mother when I was 15 and even now I still get emotional talking about her."

Zidane "has always been my hero," Materazzi said. "I admire him a lot."

Despite the head-butt, Zidane was awarded the Golden Ball award for best player at the World Cup -- though FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested Zidane could be stripped of the honor.

"The winner of the award is not decided by FIFA, but by an international commission of journalists," Blatter said in Italian newspaper La Repubblica. "That said, FIFA's executive committee has the right, and the duty, to intervene when faced with behavior contrary to the ethics of the sport."

In France, many have already pardoned Zidane, even without his explanation. A poll published Tuesday in Le Parisien newspaper showed that 61 percent of the 802 people questioned forgave Zidane.

Zidane said many people have asked him not to retire, but he said he would not change his mind.

"I won't go back on it, at least I hope so ... (the decision) it's definitive," he said.

In a later interview with TF1 television, Zidane said he was "going to rest, and then move on to something else."

p1_zidane_0712.jpg

Zinedine Zidane appeared on French TV and apologized for the headbutt on Italy's Marco Materazzi that saw him red-carded.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../12/bc.eu.spt.soc.france.zidane.ap/index.html

Last edited:
Z "Stop pushing out my shirt"
M "Shut up bastard, you get what you deserve"
Z "Of course..."
M "You all deserve it, you fucking muslims and dirty terrorists."

What's the source?

scratch-br said:
Z "Of course..."

What's the source?
:shock:

You got a source for those quotes? I'm not surprised since those words match up to what we saw of Zidane smiling and then suddenly flipping. Hell, I respect the dude even more if this is what was said. Matterazzi's a retard though, a few too many dives gone to his head. Against Germany, every time this guy cleared the ball, he'd drop to the floor like someone whacked him.

Joker89 said:
I read in "Marca" that Materazzi speaks about his mother or sister...
It's from one french journalist, try to find what says Materazzi

Last edited:
scratch-br said:
Z "Of course..."

:shock: If Materazzi did say that, he totally got what he deserved, whats the source

I didnt know Zidane was a muslim, even if Materazzi said those comments he shouldnt have assaulted him on the biggest stage of football, maybe slap him about a bit afterwards in the changing rooms lol

Last edited:
What a load of BULLSHIT.
Suggesting that anything Materazzi might have said justifies a professional refence player to headbutt another in front of millions is a product of a childish mind.
On the other hand newspapers are saying that Materazzi only talked about Zidane's sister.

Hugo Shanchez once told he always insulted the mother of the oposing keeper. That's usual CRAP between players, Zidane had no excuse and winning the WC player of the tournament is the biggest joke ever after that. What a great example by Fifa.

According to TV5(France), Materazzi made comments about ZIZU`S mother, who died a few days ago......(NOW THAT AIN`T COOL WHO EVER YOU ARE)

If Matatwatzzi said that, (which I wouldn't be surprised if he did) Zidane should have head-butted him in his greasy, slimy, ugly racist face. Stupid redneck prick...

Allez Zizou...

zidane.jpg

insulting someone's mother is what happens on a school play ground. It is no justification for such a stupid act of mindless violence. Not only did it shame him personally but shocked the french team, who then went on to loose when they had the upper hand.

SiiR said:
According to TV5(France), Materazzi made comments about ZIZU`S mother, who died a few days ago......(NOW THAT AIN`T COOL WHO EVER YOU ARE)

My mother also died 5 days ago and I STILL don't agree that there is ANY reason you can headbut an opponent in a WC final, in front of millions, when you are a reference to zillions.
French press will make up all sorts of CRAP to justify Zidane's conduct (where were the news about Zidane's mother death "a few days ago"?) the truth is simple: Materazzi provoked him verbaly. Zidane thought he could get away with it since the ref was through and he knew no late punishment would affect him. That's as dirty as it gets, and a player like this winning such a prize is a disgrace for soccer and fair play

I must say.. that even IF Materazzi did say that stuff about ZIZU`S mom, (he got what he deserved, IF it is true) it IS and WAS wrong :-(

what a bastard materazzi is! how can you say something like that about their religion..

Mauras, what Zidane did was wrong BUT a player of his class who usually is calm and collective to react in such a vicious manner, you have to admit Matatwatzzi must have said something completely unacceptable for him to react this way

Zidane Agent

Zidane expliquera "dans quelques jours" les raisons de son coup de tête, a déclaré lundi son agent Alain Migliaccio à la BBC.
Zidane a dit à son agent que "Materazzi avait dit quelque chose de très grave mais il n'a pas dit quoi" à Migliaccio. "C'est un homme qui normalement laisse passer au-dessus de lui ces choses mais, dimanche soir, quelque chose a explosé en lui", a poursuivi l'agent de Zidane. Il était très déçu et triste. Il ne voulait pas que ça se termine comme ça".

Zidane will explain " in some days " the reasons of his(her) whim(header), declared on Monday his(her) agent Alain Migliaccio to the BBC.
Zidane said to his(her) agent that " Materazzi had said something very grave but he did not say what " to Migliaccio. " It is the man who normally allows to pass over him these things but, on Sunday evening, something exploded in him ", pursued the agent of Zidane. He(it) was very disappointed and sad. He did not want that that ends like that ".

The one and only thing that happened was that...

Zidane fell into Materazzi's game

This can be seen in any country, there are players that are verbally attacked every game, but only the smart ones can handle that pressure

Back
Top Bottom