Zidane retire after WC 2006 (Lizarazu & Desailly retire too)

Re: Zidane retire after WC 2006

Yes thank you for everything Mr. Zizou! One of the greatest eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever players in history of the beautiful game and now finishing on a high!

You will always be remembered, never forgotten and thank you for the many many enjoyable moments of magic you provided to the neutral all around the world like me!

Zizou zizou!!!! :applause:

p.s. Thomas, we need good translation! :D
I just took your word for it for now ;)

Zidane retires from international soccer

Soccer superstar Zinedine Zidane announced his retirement from international soccer on his Web site on Thursday.

``This is not a surprise,'' the Web site said. ``Zinedine Zidane has put an end to the suspense.''

Zidane led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup by scoring two headers in the final against Brazil, cementing his place in the French sports history.

In 2000, he starred again as France won the European Championship for the second time in its history.

He made his debut a decade ago and played 93 times for the national team, scoring 26 goals, and also captained the team 11 times. He lost only seven matches in his international career.

Zidane was the leader of a golden generation in French soccer. Following the retirement of Zidane, Lilian Thuram, Bixente Lizarazu and Marcel Desailly, that era is now over.

The Web site said that Raymond Domenech, France's new coach, was unable to persuade Zidane to stay. Domenech, meanwhile, announced his team to face Bosnia-Herzegovena in a friendly next week. The team will include six players who are to make their first appearance for France: Eric Abidal of Olympique Lyonnais, Patrice Evra of AS Monaco, Gael Givet of AS Monaco, Alou Diarra of RC Lens, Rio-Antonio Mavuba of FCG Bordeaux, and Pierre-Alain Frau of Olympique Lyonnais.

The 32-year-old Zidane will continue to play club soccer with Real Madrid until his contract with the Spanish giant expires in 2007.

Three other French stars from the 1998 and 2000 winning sides — Bixente Lizarazu, Lilian Thuram and Marcel Desailly — all retired after Euro 2004.

Combined with Zidane, this experienced quartet formed the spine of France's team and shared 409 caps between them.

From the '98 team, only goalkeeper Fabien Barthez and midfielder Patrick Vieira remain.

The French national stadium became Zidane's favoured playground over the years. Whenever he played there, something magical seemed to happen.

``The idea of never seeing Zidane wearing the blue shirt again is unbearable,'' French newspaper l'Equipe said in an editorial.

In the first ever match at Stade de France, Zidane scored the winner against Spain in January 1998.

Thanks for all Zinedine, the best player in the history of France and probably into the Top 10 in the world history for me; my first football idol and not only for his amazing moments in a field... :applause:

«He dominates the ball, he is a walking spectacle and he plays as if he had silk gloves on each foot.
His vision, effortless close control, delicate turns and ability to create space made him one of the soccer's greatest ever players.
»
Alfredo Di Stèfano :king:

«When i saw play Zidane, i have this impression : The speed in football is secondary »
Osvaldo Ardilès

Ps : Do not commit suicide Thomas the life continue !

Oh just Int'l retirement. *Sigh of relief* lol that was expected, I thought Thomas meant he retires at end of the world cup from FOOTBALL! :lol: :(

Glavisted said:
The Web site said that Raymond Domenech, France's new coach, was unable to persuade Zidane to stay. Domenech, meanwhile, announced his team to face Bosnia-Herzegovena in a friendly next week. The team will include six players who are to make their first appearance for France: Eric Abidal of Olympique Lyonnais, Patrice Evra of AS Monaco, Gael Givet of AS Monaco, Alou Diarra of RC Lens, Rio-Antonio Mavuba of FCG Bordeaux, and Pierre-Alain Frau of Olympique Lyonnais.
I don't understand. These players already have at least 1 cap for France so why does it say first appearance?

p.s. And I don't think "Frau" should be given a chance. He's just not good enough for national team in my opinion even though he's a decent player.

and yes Glavisted, Zidane is one of my football idols too and the biggest one! 8)

The 32-year-old Zidane will continue to play club soccer with Real Madrid until his contract with the Spanish giant expires in 2007.
THAT's WRONG !

PLF said:
Oh just Int'l retirement. *Sigh of relief* lol that was expected, I thought Thomas meant he retires at end of the world cup from FOOTBALL! :lol: :(
He stops playings Football with Real and France. Zidane talks now so Real have the time to find a player to replace him. After WC, he can't say to the RealBoys: "It's me, I stop, find a new player"...

Last edited:

Oh so the world cup will be last time we see him grace a football pitch! :shock: :( :cry:

I'm gonna buy tapes and tape every france game, keep the last one he plays in :)

Yep I think I will too cuz there is never gonna be another Zinedine Zidane!!!!!

PLF said:
Yes, sorry for the really big mistake, I didn't translate correctly the notice and put an old. :(

200_pesos said:
I'm gonna buy tapes and tape every france game, keep the last one he plays in :)
It's difficult but would be terrific as World Champion, I hope France...

I don't think so. Not with Raymond Domenech in charge. :( (I expect bad tournament for French again like under Santini).

Regarding the mistake, no problem dude ;)

Still don't know why that article said Givet, Abidal, Alou Diarra, Mavuba and rest are getting their "First chance to play though" when it's clearly not. That's another mistake Glav isn't it?

1.Maradona
2.Zidane
3.Pelé

...Zidane will always be a legend in football I hope we see another amazing tournament from him

PLF said:
Still don't know why that article said Givet, Abidal, Alou Diarra, Mavuba and rest are getting their "First chance to play though" when it's clearly not. That's another mistake Glav isn't it?
Yeah, it's a mistake. Frau... :lmao:

PLF said:
I'm not sure, I can't remember if he played before these players retired for first time of the national team.

Are you referring this PLF?, sorry, I don't know if I understand you correctly.

Yeh this is what I was talking about Glav.

Like Tuta said though it's just a mistake I guess in article because these players each have had at least 1 international game for France already. Some more than one of course!

PLF said:
Yeh this is what I was talking about Glav.

Like Tuta said though it's just a mistake I guess in article because these players each have had at least 1 international game for France already. Some more than one of course!
Well, really I can't remember, I just think Abidal and Givet had been convocated before at least.

Convocated? I think you mean capped Arie. ;)

No I'm pretty sure Alou Diarra has more than one in fact.

Evra, Mavuba and Frau I also think have been capped at least once but I could be wrong.

Diarra : 8 caps
Evra : 5 caps
Mavuba : 3 caps
Frau : 0 cap (yep, never)

Thanks Tuta.

I thought Frau and Pedretti both got one around the time they were doing very well with Sochaux! Guess I was wrong about Frau then and he doesn't even have one and he shouldn't. He's good but a nation like France has too much quality depth to play just "Good" players and he hasn't even fully earned it this season yet. Sure after loan move to Lens at mid-season he's been "better" and showed he's still a decent player but not enough for me to earn a call to NT.

But then again like every national team in the world, there's a couple players who don't really deserve to be there at all and France also has "Cisse" and "Boumsong" so it's not like Frau's the only guy who doesn't deserve it and they have a lot more caps as well.

Pure legend and my all time favorite player.
You will be missed on the pitch. :(

wow, I just saw the video. Another example of a pure genius on a pitch.

What a great loss for the future, one of my favourite players ever with Alan Shearer.

Re: Zidane retire after WC 2006 (Lizarazu stop too)

I just see Zidane speak about Lizarazu and Liza cry, big moment of emotion :cry:

Back
Top Bottom