Best Games of 2010

7 August 2004
Liverpool
Title says it all, what are your best games of 2010*?

I would say;

- Heavy Rain
Really enjoyed the fact that if a character died that story ended. Could have some less quicktime for me, but overal really good.

- Bioshock II
Not as good as the first one, but still a decent shooter.

- Alan Wake
Alan was an annoying tw#t but really loved the whole atmosphere and the non gaming ending.

* Checking the metacritic lists shows that those 3 are the only games I've bought and played and rated this year that were released in 2010. The others were PES/FIFA, Modnation Racers and Metro2033 that I still need to start. The rest of the games are 2009 bargins. :D

For me;

1. PES 2011
2. Skate 3
3. Fable 3

Thoroughly enjoyed/ing them, may not be the best games technically, but shooters just bore me yet they seem to be top of everyone elses lists.

1 - Heavy Rain - GAME OF THE YEAR 2010 -
2 - Mafia II
3 - Red Dead Redemption
4 - Gran Turismo 5
5 - Just Cause 2
6 - God of War 3
7 - Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
8 - Alan Wake
9 - PES 2011
10 - Halo: Reach

Notable Mentions: Final Fantasy XIII, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, Vanquish, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Yakuza 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Fallout: New Vegas, GTA: Episodes From Liberty City, StarCraft 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. NBA 2K11
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Call Of Duty Black Ops
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Mass Effect 2
6. Splinter Cell Conviction
7. Donkey Kong Country Returns
8. Bayonetta
9. Bioshock 2
10. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
11. Super Meat Boy
12. Mafia 2

Last edited:
Heavy Rain
Mafia II
Fable III

Kind of a disappointing year for games personally.

Edit: Just saw the VGA game announcements and 2011 already looks like a better year. Mass Effect 3, new Elder Scrolls, new Batman and Uncharted 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Heavy Rain
2. Amnesia - Dark Descent
3. Mafia 2

As someone says this year has not been a great year for games.
Should also start a thread of worst games or most disappointing games.

- NBA 2K11
- Battlefield Bad Company 2
- Heavy Rain
- Angry Birds

Angry Birds really is a great game.

CNBC said today that Angry Birds has been downloaded more than 50 million times and is played for 200 million minutes per day, according to this SAI snip.

The game has achieved huge figures on all mobile platforms, racking up 7 million downloads on Android by the end of November, having broken 2 million downloads in only two days from release on the OS in October.

Developer Rovio said at the end of October that the casual puzzler had hit 10 million sales on the App Store.

Favorite games of 2010

1. Heavy Rain
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. God of War 3
4. Starcraft 2
5. Halo Reach

Disappointment of the year - Mass Effect 2

I'd say the best game of 2010 for me is without a doubt:

Trials Legends (free retro version of a Trials game for PC)

May be somewhat easier than the big trials games, but still there's enough challenge for those who want to frustrate themselves to near death. And the rougher exterior (read: cheaper) and its more suitable "camera angle" makes the game more long-lasting (read: addictive) in my opinion.

I was interested in what games I played in 2010, so I went to my live.xbox.com profile to check it out.

Here's how I spent the majority of my Xbox time in 2010:

-Batman: Arkham Asylum (Received last Christmas)
-COD: Modern Warfare 2 (Carried over playtime to 2010)
-Fifa 10 (Carried over playtime to 2010)
-Mass Effect 1 (replayed in anticipation of ME2)
-Mass Effect 2
-Assassin's Creed 2 (late to the party, a 2009 release)
-Red Dead Redemption
-Just Cause 2 (fantastic, underrated)
-Halo: Reach (very good, but overrated)
-Battlefield: Bad Company 2
-Fifa 11

Good God, what a terrific year in games. I played a few others that I just didn't have time to get into, so they didn't make the list, but the one's that did are some of my favorite games I've ever played.

For my single player GOTY, it's Mass Effect 2... which is also probably my overall favorite game of all time; I love the gameplay, the universe, the challenge of insanity mode... and the level of polish is absolutely terrific. A very complete feeling all-around great game. Also terrific (until the very end) was Batman: Arkham Asylum. A fresh take on the Metroidvania-style 3D platform genre and with near perfect execution.

My multi-player GOTY is Battlefield: Bad Company 2. While the COD series had been setting the bar for online FPS for the past few years, the gameplay has remained relatively unchanged since COD 4. BC2 really improved on BC1 with even better destruction, better vehicles, better maps, and much better presentation and game play. Unlike BC1, BC2 really challenges COD in both control responsiveness and graphical presentation. With those things equal, the game play of BC2 just blows COD out of the water.

The FIFA series continued to make some incremental improvements, while leaving certain areas wildly under-developed (looking at you, career mode). Still, the game play of the series is getting better with each edition so hopefully next year it can finally put all the pieces together to make it a "Great" (and not just "good") game.

After a stellar 2008, 2009 gave us another solid batch of games... so many that I had several AAA titles carry over to 2010 before I could play them. 2010, while a little sparse on quantity, certainly backed it up with quality. The last 3 years have been the best in the history of video games, at the very least since the SNES/Genesis days. Thank God we have left the era of terrible PS1/PS2/N64/Gamecube/Xbox games behind us. With a few exceptions, I can't forsee ever wanting to revisit the early days of 3D polygons again.

Looking forward to 2011.

Last edited:
Bad company 2 was a good game but got bored of it after arma 2 OA. BC2 certainly fucks all over COD thats for sure but the sheer size and realism of OA is immense and its a darn shame most of you wont be able to experience how awsome that game is.

A real gamer games in all platforms.

Back
Top Bottom