Best Way to score/ WE9

Ehm, Super Cancel is superb in WE9, because you can push players around in this edition. If you're running side by side by an opponent super cancel is great, just slightly push him to the side and the ball is yours. Can't belive people arent using r1+r2 and r2 more. You have great advantage on your opponents with them in every area of the field. attacking and defence. It's much harder to win header by pushing you opponent with r2 in this edition though, it was far to easy in pes4.
Almost forgot, when you playing with your mates you can use super cancel to obstruct your opponents when your mate has the ball, which is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea R1 is the way to a victory, trouble is I need to use it alot more than I do. But I agree it is great for knocking players out the way, I did it to win myself a corner and the guy I rammed almost fell flat on his face. The new collison detecting is amazing.

Btw I played a few more games yesterday on 5 stars and 15 mins, I scored 5 goals in my first and 1 in my 2nd before I got pissed off and quit.

But I find it easy to just push the CPU up to their own box and hit it from outside the box, I done that a few times and it worked, either that or just do a very quick counter up the wings and cross it in, if you are quick they won't have 10 men in the box but only around 4, making it easier to win the header.

I guess the 1st only works if you have fast players and 2nd if you have tall players, I did them both with England with Rooney and Sutton. Sutton almost bagged 3 goals so it obviously worked :D

So conclusion, pass fast.

I score regularly from corners. Also Roberto Carlos is a powerful tool in freekicks. Adriano as a superb outside shot. I think scoring regularly in WE9 is not so related to "situation" but with players, and making good use of them.

And theres me feeling crappy about finding it strangely tough on 3 stars.

I agree with the inswinging corners, I've had a lot of success with that tecnique, also when the odd 1 on 1 does happen I find that when your comming up to goal and yu sense the keeper comming forward, turn towards 1 corner and shoot towards the opposite, I scored a super 1 on 1 doing this with Angel earlier, and my ground shot was from just outside the box.

Freekicks are still a complete mystery to me, aint scored 1 ingame in WE9 yet, everytime I think I have a tecnique sorted I start missing/hitting walls etc, there just seems to be no true consistency with them.

I will try the L1 + O for crosses as I use that to hit the ball into the penelty area quickly when I'm a fair way away from goal. I usually double tap O as my normal way of crossing and never use the R2 move player option and I've had good results doing so, but I am gonna try to use R2 for movement as I think that's be a good weapon to have in your asrenal.

Think I'm gonna try 6 stars now. :)

imho mid-range shots r a nice way to put the ball in,atm it's my favourite method of scoring...or at least one of the most efficient.
Free-kicks seem to be too simple,every player can easily shot between the posts,i think the difficulty is in identifying the high of the ball,but with an half bar power it should be fine for the most.

btw crossing (and heading) is still a riddle for me,it remembers me winning 7 which was very hard.. :|

Yep, as you said 3 stars is just too hard, can't believe playing on 6 is alot easier.

I think FK's are more random than anything else, sometimes you clear the wall but when you get another FK in near enough the same postion and you do everything the same as last time, it hits the knee's of the wall.

I have scored one with Ronaldinho, just like in PES4 I think FK's are more hit and hope than anything else.

The R2 is amazing. Finally, I am scoring from headers now. I am so pleased with it.
Today, I scored 4 headers with the R2.

But how can you use the R2 efiently in the defense?

I see some folks complain about freekick. Well, to me it is soo easy to score from. It is not haphazard, I noticed the player status and stamina play a major role. If the player is tired, he seems to miss more. I score with Pele all the way.

i still don't get how to use that R1+R2 and R2 otherwise than for feints purpouse...
has anyone tested how it works crossing and then pressing R2?

Best way to score... you need to have money, that works for some lads... ;)

Now seriously, i have great difficulties to score goals in this game, and the super cancel keeps stoping my player before going in the direction desired, so i dont really use it now, and its too bad cause it was my weapon to win in the last we...

Observer_ said:
The R2 is amazing. Finally, I am scoring from headers now. I am so pleased with it.
Today, I scored 4 headers with the R2.

But how can you use the R2 efiently in the defense?

I see some folks complain about freekick. Well, to me it is soo easy to score from. It is not haphazard, I noticed the player status and stamina play a major role. If the player is tired, he seems to miss more. I score with Pele all the way.

Defensively, use :r2: + dir to shoulder ooponent off the ball. quite effective and don's give away too many fouls as well. Without direction, :r2: is just as effective to turn 'face on' to opponent.

Jenzo said:
i still don't get how to use that R1+R2 and R2 otherwise than for feints purpouse...
has anyone tested how it works crossing and then pressing R2?

Crossing with R2 depressed results in a cross with higher trajectory than normal. Can be appiled to all modes of crossing (ie :circle: , :circle: :circle: , :circle: :circle: :circle: (although not so obvious for the last one)

Try it, great for getting crosses over tall CB's. I also almost always use it for corners.

jiwa said:
Crossing with R2 depressed results in a cross with higher trajectory than normal. Can be appiled to all modes of crossing (ie :circle: , :circle: :circle: , :circle: :circle: :circle: (although not so obvious for the last one)

Try it, great for getting crosses over tall CB's. I also almost always use it for corners.

oh. thanks fer the tip mate. never tried this before.. :mrgreen:

btw jiwa, org kampung ek? \\:o/

quite strange guys dont get to score a lot of goals. i just started masters league with arsenal as soon as i laid ma hands on fernando's patch.... and i have beaten the likes of man utd on 3 stars 4-0, newcastle 4-1 and chelsea home and away 3-1....(though i lost the midfield battle, because of the addition of gerrard durin the transfer window... i just took ma chances when they did come) ma highest score line so far has been 5-0 which was against...boro..

I cant wait to get into the champs league... to play the likes of madrid, milan, barca, inter... etc

this is ma first season.... i just got promoted.... so not only am i just scoring .... henry was the highest goal scorer in div 2..... and currently leadin in that department in ma first div 1 season.... wit 16 goals so far....

So i'm afraid... or forced to say that.... u guys are tryin to be too clinical or just dont kno how to do it.... right.....

dont mean no harm

Just noticed that passing the ball from Corners is really efficient now. Whenever I have the chance now, I pass the corner to the nearest player, run for few steps, passin it to another player in the penality area and snap it in.

faking a shot by pressing shoot then pass in one on one situations work best for me... but i think u need a player with high technique to do so...

Using square followed by X to fake a shot is a nice technique and I think t works well in this version with the right players ofcourse.

Anybody knows if Square + X has the exact same effect as Circle + X?
I have used both and they look quite identical to me.

On a side note regarding free kicks,

Does anybody ever use the second player (by pressing L2)? I know it looks good to try to shoot with him (using L1) but I never managed to score even in training mode.

The only good use of that I know is to pass the ball to resume play again!

Last edited:
So Observer...the double tap of the "O" button doesn't put the ball into the box? Single tap for long, double for 6 yard box, triple for low cross? Has that changed then?

Crosses are a bit diffrent. I am sure that double tab doesn'cross to the near post anymore in We9. I used to always count on that in presvious version, not anymore in WE9. I think double tap is more pacey, thats it. The tripple tap gives you a low cross, as before. The single is high cross.

I am used to cross with L1, I think it makes it lowers and stronger.

i think the low crosses are damn annoying... it goes in like more than half the time! n doesn't require much skill... its a cheap trick to me..

Long shots make up 90% of my goals. Never get 1on1's against the CPU because they always run into the back of you and give away a free kick before you can get past their last man. VERY annoying.

Nturtle said:
So Observer...the double tap of the "O" button doesn't put the ball into the box? Single tap for long, double for 6 yard box, triple for low cross? Has that changed then?

On paper, its supposed to be like in WE8/LE. But in practice somehow doesn't always work so. Ive had numerous crosses with O, end up at near post or centre, and passes with O,O going far post. Also Ox3 is almost totally useless now.

Theres an ongoing dicussion with many other on this issue . Look at the 'crossing' thread.

Cheers

I dont think that 3 O is useless. My friend scores half of his goal in our tournaments everyweeks with 3 O and Van Nistelrooy use supercancel to beat the CB.

mccormickja said:
Long shots make up 90% of my goals. Never get 1on1's against the CPU because they always run into the back of you and give away a free kick before you can get past their last man. VERY annoying.

try using a strong, fast forward with a vicious striking/scoring foot/feet.
sometimes, i like to dribble around in the box and then release to an open man to slot in the ball with R2 shot.
play to your team's ability.

. .. .. ... . . -- .. . . -- . .. - . ..

on another note, just scored my 1st FK goal in 9, Adriano with a sweet one straight thru the wall and beyond the keeper.

I will try to upload some of my goal, some FK from about more than 40 meters. It's a good way to score, too :D, when you get stuck

We9 techniques

Hi Folks, Just to highlight some issues about CPU 8 men defending, about putting more swerve in the ball and etc. Firstly about 8 men defending- It just makes sense. Like in real life, which team would want to concede a goal? Its all about tactical play.
•From my experience playing the game, against CPU, they would pack their defence and respond with a quick counter. But after tweaking with my formation, i'm able to build up play and score an excellent build up goal. Try tweaking the offensive arrows and see the diff. But try to have some management acumen to see the diff. (Don't expect your strikers to chase your through ball if you direct him to focus his run to the sideline). If you guys scored early, We9 is smart enough to incorporate pressure play which enable the CPU to pressure us and if they lost the ball in our half, and we are about to launch a quick counter, they'll try to foul us so as to enable their players to drop back. For me - this is a superb feature in the game.
• Swerving the ball - during corners, dig in half the power bar and use the right anologue stick to apply more swerve to it. anyway, its optional. if you feel more swerve may give you more chance of scoring then go ahead and apply. Fyi, swerving the ball in a certain direction esp. inswingers will prevent the CPU from clearing the ball into open play. If we are second best to the ball, CPU will clear it for another corner. But take precaution, keeper will have more chances of collecting it or punching it clear.
•Right anololue stick - Utilise it while swinging in corner, crosses, and a floating freekicks. For optimum effect, use whoelse but beckham. Only a handful of players can apply deadly swerving balls.
• Use R2 button after shooting the ball. Doesn't matter whether its outside of the box or otherwise. If you have nimble fingers, try to apply the right anologue stick. may enhance your swerving as well.
The most beautiful thing about WE series is not only gameplay. The structure and realism of it is also almost flawless. Missing linesman in the game aside, try winning games in master league for about 3-4 in a row, you'll find the next opponent is so pumped up to bring your team down. And because of that you'll be counting on your pure determination to win the game albeit sore thumbs and tired necks. That's when tactical play is so essential in deciding the game.
After saying all this, i confessed that i'm not unbeatable. I've won 5-0 on 5 star ratings and i've even lost 6-0 on the same level. Thanks for spending your time reading. Enjoy!

I thought the right analog was a myth?

Never really seemed to make much difference to me. Probably re-visit this again.

Yeah, a lot of what you said is true. Tactical changes can open up the CPU's AI. And CPU also uses man marking a lot. You really have to draw them out, then kill them.

What the CPU does, is exactly what we do when CPU attacks. Only difference is we aren't in control of 8 mena at once. We claso lanes, and close down the ball carrier. Pack the D and dont let the Cf get a shot off. That's why I'm sceptical when ppl say PES5 the defence has been made easier. Will we all be better off for it? Or are we cheated of the full experience.

Cheers

dorian said:
I dont think that 3 O is useless. My friend scores half of his goal in our tournaments everyweeks with 3 O and Van Nistelrooy use supercancel to beat the CB.

Yeah, you're right. Just need a bit more practice. I think my timing was off previously, seem to have that :circle: :circle: :circle: sorted out now.

I had usually used a :triangle: or long :x: to put it across the box.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom