David Beckham joins LA Galaxy

I doubt this is false to be honest. He turned down a two year contract extension with Madrid as well as offers from other top clubs. Why? because of the vast amount of money being chucked at him. If you think there is any other reason he is going to the MLS you are sadly deluded. I don't want to insult the MLS, there is growing participation in 'soccer' over there all the time. But does that translate to the MLS itself. How often do the small 'Soccer' stadiums over there sell out each week. Bringing David Beckham over may create interest in the short term, but after that dies down what is the point. How on earth is he going to pay back the money he will earn, it isn't going to happen. LA Galaxy have bought into an idea that will backfire IMO.
how often do league 1 games, serie a games sell out? besides the big boys...

sorry mate, but i don't understand. what's so horrible in this comparison? it looks quite normal to me to compare theese 2 leagues. i mean, usa and saudi arabia football championships are both 2 rising football leagues wich really improved in the last years also by buying old european and african top players.

so in saudi arabia.

well mate, u probably would be shocked if i tell u how many great players went in saudi arabia..
here is Al-ittihad list:
babangida
kallon
mboma
donadoni
bucker
acimovic
bebeto
.... and this is just talking about one team. Hierro, effemberg, batistuta, signori, and many more other players went in saudi arabia :)

when i compare arabian and usa football leagues i don't mean that mls is shit. I'm just comparing 2 respectable championship which are growing (talking about quality and "image") ;)

p.s. there's one last thing that gives an idea of how much theese 2 leagues are comparable: luis figo (ex-real madrid, like becks..... and side-midfielder, like becks) is going to al-ittihad this summer :)

im not talking about going to a league for a big payout, which is obviously why these players went to saudi arabia, im saying in time, the US will be attractive to middle of career euros and more importantly YOUNG south americans. If we can pay what the euro leagues can pay and offer a high level of play, then why not can we snatch up some YOUNG talent from south american teams and raise our play along with the homegrown american talent, that is slowly making there way across the pond. We are already doing that in some respects, there not the highest rated south american players, but they are good. Spanish is the second most spoken language here, there are thousands of immgrants here as well.
Going from South America to North America is not nearly as difficult as immerising in Saudi Arabia. Im saying that america will be able to attract more younger players to play here then saudi would. Im not talking about the ronaldhinos of the world.

I doubt this is false to be honest. He turned down a two year contract extension with Madrid as well as offers from other top clubs. Why? because of the vast amount of money being chucked at him. If you think there is any other reason he is going to the MLS you are sadly deluded. I don't want to insult the MLS, there is growing participation in 'soccer' over there all the time. But does that translate to the MLS itself. How often do the small 'Soccer' stadiums over there sell out each week. Bringing David Beckham over may create interest in the short term, but after that dies down what is the point. How on earth is he going to pay back the money he will earn, it isn't going to happen. LA Galaxy have bought into an idea that will backfire IMO.
Dude if freddy adu and unproven 14 year old footballer can sell out 35,000 seat stadiums, then im pretty sure David Beckham can.... its called hype, the hype is going to be the pay back, the adverstising, the PR, it is on the front page of cnn.com, i dont think there has ever been a footballer on the front page of cnn.com, EVER. That right there would have cost MLS thousands and thousands of dollars in advertising, instead they just got it for free. If there is one thing americans are good at, its selling something you dont want or necessarliy need! :) Also you obviously know very very little about MLS. MLS can only shed out $4.5 million for him, per leage rules. The rest is comming from AEG, which is a very very very wealthy company. So MLS itself wont go bankrupt because of this, and I doubt AEG will either.

Last edited:
I was talking about the "regular" USA sports...
And by the way i'm quite sure that what Beckhalmearns in the USA is peanuts compared to the stars of American sports like Tiger Woods, Shaquille O' Neal ,...
There is a salary cap in NBA but most NBA stars earn much more than the best payed football players...

THERE IS DEFINATLY a salary cap in MLS, currently its $2 million. However there is a new rule, ironically enough called the beckham rule, which allows each team one exception for one player to spend up to i think $4.5 million. Nah stan, nba players arent gonna make that kind of loot, its a pretty ridiculos amount!

Dude if freddy adu and unproven 14 year old footballer can sell out 35,000 seat stadiums, then im pretty sure David Beckham can.... its called hype, the hype is going to be the pay back, the adverstising, the PR, it is on the front page of cnn.com, i dont think there has ever been a footballer on the front page of cnn.com, EVER. That right there would have cost MLS thousands and thousands of dollars in advertising, instead they just got it for free. If there is one thing americans are good at, its selling something you dont want or necessarliy need! :)
I know Beckham will earn the club a vast amount of money back through merchandise. But he won't pay them back on the pitch. I just think it is a sorry state of events when deals are so revolved around the money with no thought on the football aspect. It was the same at Madrid as well.

I know these things are important now in this modern media age. And thats fine, as long as the football still takes the center stage at the end of it. I mean is there actually serious competition in the US league, will Beckham actually help the team that he will be playing in. Will new fans be attracted because of his football talent or the fact that he is a media icon and fashionable celebrity. And how long before the honeymoon period is over and the interest dies.

Anyway I'm probably moaning to much but I think he could do much better, this guy was probably one of the most talented players of the modern game. Since he moved to Madrid and now the move to LA, David Beckham the footballer is only sinking more and more into football oblivion.

However I don't blame his choice I suppose, an easy and relaxing life in the US with a big wad of cash. Not many of us would turn that down.

Yes thats what I thought. The amount that some American Football and Baseball players earn is enormous. Basketball is not far behind either. These sums of money dwarf the pittances that European footballers earn. :roll:

But MLS stars earn nowhere near that amount of money. Because 'Soccer' is a nothing sport compared to the rest. I have read that LA Galaxy captain Landon Donovan gets just over $1,000,000 a season. This is chicken feed as new team mate Becks will be earning about $50,000,000 in comparison. To be honest it takes the piss. And I doubt new team mates will respect this. Because Beckham is definitely not worth that kind of money.
:applause:

I know Beckham will earn the club a vast amount of money back through merchandise. But he won't pay them back on the pitch. I just think it is a sorry state of events when deals are so revolved around the money with no thought on the football aspect. It was the same at Madrid as well.

I know these things are important now in this modern media age. And thats fine, as long as the football still takes the center stage at the end of it. I mean is there actually serious competition in the US league, will Beckham actually help the team that he will be playing in. Will new fans be attracted because of his football talent or the fact that he is a media icon and fashionable celebrity. And how long before the honeymoon period is over and the interest dies.

Anyway I'm probably moaning to much but I think he could do much better, this guy was probably one of the most talented players of the modern game. Since he moved to Madrid and now the move to LA, David Beckham the footballer is only sinking more and more into football oblivion.

However I don't blame his choice I suppose, an easy and relaxing life in the US with a big wad of cash. Not many of us would turn that down.
oh i agree on the play part.. i really do. If he stinks it up and this backfires, i will be dissapointed. Put it this way. Djorkayef(sp), Luis Hernandez, LOTHAR, and host of other players failed to do much when they came over here. In the case of Lothar he was just an asshole. But it seems south americans come here and they are great. I think the style of play is not suited for the faster paced europeans.

But it seems south americans come here and they are great. I think the style of play is not suited for the faster paced europeans.
This is very true from what I have seen of the MLS. It is comparable to South American leagues in relation to playing style. More about passing and ball retention than speed and physicality. This is probably why MLS can appear boring to those used to watching European football (me included). However this playing style actually seems perfect for Beckham if you think about it. Considering his age, the fact he has no pace and solely relies on his passing game. He could fit in very well if he was able to adjust correctly.

I have a feeling this won't be the case though, his playing level will only decrease further IMO. However now he is no longer in the England set up I think he has realized he can no longer cut it which has made his decision much easier. Becks is no longer the golden boy of football, people realize he isn't the man he once was. The legend he carries now is made on the back of his massive media team.

If it works then good for him, if he is happy then great. As long as the guy knows he has sacrificed what little footballing credibility he had left.

Last edited:
you cant even compare the gulf to the US. Its totally different. Its actually a horrible comparison. The intrest in MLS is growing each year, and the prospect of playing football in america is probably alot more appealing to europeans and south americans, then playing in a countries where there are fatawhs condeming playing the game all together(as there is in Saudi Arabia). Pogoss is right about the football thought, its not as bad as you guys are making it out to be, weather your in the gulf or the states.

no it's not a bad comparaison . don't do as they do and spit on the level there . it has become better and better and more and more people are getting interested in it .
some players has come from there to europe and proved themselves good like kader keita who became a major player in lille and karimi who moved to bayern munich and oliech who's still young but is in nante . and some players who went there not so old were completely shit and useless like fiorese or zairi .
now there are many well international players there : okocha , acimovic , mpenza , lamouchi , denilson ... not to mention the loads of brazilian and african players who go there . the 2 moroccan players who were involved in the goal scored against your national team recently play there as well .
plus the asian champion's league involve many countries with quality football like japan , korea or iran . don't forget the national teams from those countries have a lot of players from local league .
they don't play with square balls in the gulf either ;)
did you watch last year's club world cup ? I'm talking about the one sao paulo won . ask them about the semi final against al ittihad (3 - 2 with a PK to make the difference) from saudi arabia who is outclassed this season .
I know the hatred existing between your peoples but the word fatwa doesn't have anything to do here . there are also dark stuff in USA we are not concerned about now ;)

Last edited:
im not talking about going to a league for a big payout, which is obviously why these players went to saudi arabia, im saying in time, the US will be attractive to middle of career euros and more importantly YOUNG south americans. If we can pay what the euro leagues can pay and offer a high level of play, then why not can we snatch up some YOUNG talent from south american teams and raise our play along with the homegrown american talent, that is slowly making there way across the pond. We are already doing that in some respects, there not the highest rated south american players, but they are good. Spanish is the second most spoken language here, there are thousands of immgrants here as well.
Going from South America to North America is not nearly as difficult as immerising in Saudi Arabia. Im saying that america will be able to attract more younger players to play here then saudi would. Im not talking about the ronaldhinos of the world.
every year there are a lot of young players from africa who go there as well .

no it's not a bad comparaison . don't do as they do and spit on the level there . it has become better and better and more and more people are getting interested in it .
some players has come from there to europe and proved themselves good like kader keita who became a major player in lille and karimi who moved to bayern munich and oliech who's still young but is in nante . and some players who went there not so old were completely shit and useless like fiorese or zairi .
now there are many well international players there : okocha , acimovic , mpenza , lamouchi , denilson ... not to mention the loads of brazilian and african players who go there .
plus the asian champion's league involve many countries with quality football like japan , korea or iran . don't forget the national teams from those countries have a lot of players from local league .
they don't play with square balls in the gulf either ;)
I know the hatred existing between your peoples but the word fatwa doesn't have anything to do here . there are also dark stuff in USA we are not concerned about now ;)
dude im not even comparing quality. Or who has played where. Its clear these players play in the gulf because of the money. My point was and still is, if the US can offer comparable salaries(which they cant at this point, just in exceptions like becks), then what do you think there going to choose? Miami, L.A., New York, or Ridyah? There is no hate here man. I dont hate anyone from the gulf, I have no reason too. I do know that america is way more like euorope and south america, then it is like the gulf, not only in culture but in climate as well. I would say right now that the gulf teams are better, but there is a reason for that, they have more money. BUt if football can take off in the states and more money gets pumpend in, i think they can attract better players. I dont want our league to turn into the EPL where you have teams like Arsenal without hardly a Englishman in the squad. I want a nice mix of homegrown talent as well, so the US can compete internationally. The comparison of quality of play is there, but the comparison of potential places to play for a player falls to the US. Thats why I think its a bad comparison. Your talking about a society in Saudi Arabia/Gulf countries is far far differen then the US. Im sure a saudi prince could pay becks a hell of alot more then AEG is paying him, but as everyone has stated, Hollywood baby.

Yes thats what I thought. The amount that some American Football and Baseball players earn is enormous. Basketball is not far behind either. These sums of money dwarf the pittances that European footballers earn. :roll:

The average salary for an NFL player is $1.4million for a starter it's $2.3million

The average salary for an NBA player is $4.9million.

The average salary for an MLB player is $2.9million.

American Football salaries are not guaranteed. Where as the MLB and NBA are. Guaranteed meaning if you get cut or traded you still earn all the money in your contract. So basically you could be a free agent and still getting paid millions.

What's the average salary for football players yearly?

dude im not even comparing quality. Or who has played where. Its clear these players play in the gulf because of the money. My point was and still is, if the US can offer comparable salaries(which they cant at this point, just in exceptions like becks), then what do you think there going to choose? Miami, L.A., New York, or Ridyah? There is no hate here man. I dont hate anyone from the gulf, I have no reason too. I do know that america is way more like euorope and south america, then it is like the gulf, not only in culture but in climate as well. I would say right now that the gulf teams are better, but there is a reason for that, they have more money. BUt if football can take off in the states and more money gets pumpend in, i think they can attract better players. I dont want our league to turn into the EPL where you have teams like Arsenal without hardly a Englishman in the squad. I want a nice mix of homegrown talent as well, so the US can compete internationally. The comparison of quality of play is there, but the comparison of potential places to play for a player falls to the US. Thats why I think its a bad comparison. Your talking about a society in Saudi Arabia/Gulf countries is far far differen then the US. Im sure a saudi prince could pay becks a hell of alot more then AEG is paying him, but as everyone has stated, Hollywood baby.
isn't beckham playing for money ? I mean it's the topic is'nt it ? to me it exactly the same than figo's move to al ittihad .
it depends on who is moving where and why . of course for everyone money is an good reason don't and every player want to go play in europe . if usa salary was the same than the moroccan one belouchi would come back to raja casablanca and try to find a place in the researve team , at least he'll be near his familly . if the saoudian salary was the same than the moroccan one madihi (the guy who scored against you in that friendly) would have stayed in wydad casablanca near his familly .
when a player move it's for a better salary and a better sport project . don't tell me on beckham's case there is any better sport project than in real madrid . of course he go there for money .
now the fact is that I reacted to their comment because they have started showing scorn and I don't like that . unfortunately , I felt the same scorn in your comment toward football in the gulf :(
believe me mate , I've watched some saudi or qatari games and know about the asian competition and I can tell you it's not all about money . but of course money help a lot and that's what make the difference nowadays . with money you can make top players come and there will be result on every one , the fans , the team mates , the reserve players , opponement ...
I wish moroccan football had 0.01% of that money you both have .
to answer your question if the same salary was granted in USA or the gulf I'd personnally choose USA but not if I was 10 years younger . it depend on the player's age , now the gulf leagues are being watched and there are more chance to go to europe from the gulf than from USA .
granted, and the majority of those players are muslims? Correct?

false .

Last edited:
You cant really blame the guy for going to America, hes supposedly got an academy in LA, hes probably almost guaranteed a 1st team place and not many people would turn down that kind of money these days. So a good pension plan :lmao: :applause:

I`m sorry but the MLS is like watching tennis but slower every boys dream in America who plays futbol wants to go to EPL. C.Demsy just went to Fulham he over the moon he`s living the dream even if he doesn`t make it.Mls needs to adopt relagation this 10 teams reminds me of my pub league only different is money and we have 11 teams :lol:

Wonder if Sky TV in UK will now stop showing as much Spanish Football now that their Commercial vehicle is going. It was sickening listening to Gerry Armstrong's verbal masturbation!

shocking?

I'm shocked about the money he is getting... LMAO.. wtf?

EROD has nothing on Beckham!

but everyone knew Beckham was coming to the MLS for some time..

who's next...

Zidane to the New York Red Bulls I would assume.. haha ;)

I do think it's a mistake that he is getting so much jack though.. now everyone that comes over to the MLS is going to try get that type of money.. I'm talking Ronaldo... Figo.. Zidane type players that I we been hearing rumors about for sometime are going to expect to be paid like that which is NOT going to happen.. OR I don't see where they are going to get all that money from. oh well...

good news for MLS.. bad news for the NHL.. I think the MLS just surpassed the NHL in popularity in the United States. lol

AND they sure are hoping one player is going to do what Pele did in the 70's for the New York Cosmos for SOccer in the US.. I Doubt Beckham can have the same effect on soccer in the US as Pele did. They have to get other stars like the ones I named above to help out.. making Beckham the highest paid athlete in US Sports is funny..! I wonder what the MLB.. NFL.. and NBA players are going to do when they see that! haha

ps. I guesS Beckham can buy the MLS now with that contract!

Last edited:
isn't beckham playing for money ? I mean it's the topic is'nt it ? to me it exactly the same than figo's move to al ittihad .
it depends on who is moving where and why . of course for everyone money is an good reason don't and every player want to go play in europe . if usa salary was the same than the moroccan one belouchi would come back to raja casablanca and try to find a place in the researve team , at least he'll be near his familly . if the saoudian salary was the same than the moroccan one madihi (the guy who scored against you in that friendly) would have stayed in wydad casablanca near his familly .
when a player move it's for a better salary and a better sport project . don't tell me on beckham's case there is any better sport project than in real madrid . of course he go there for money .
now the fact is that I reacted to their comment because they have started showing scorn and I don't like that . unfortunately , I felt the same scorn in your comment toward football in the gulf :(
believe me mate , I've watched some saudi or qatari games and know about the asian competition and I can tell you it's not all about money . but of course money help a lot and that's what make the difference nowadays . with money you can make top players come and there will be result on every one , the fans , the team mates , the reserve players , opponement ...
I wish moroccan football had 0.01% of that money you both have .
to answer your question if the same salary was granted in USA or the gulf I'd personnally choose USA but not if I was 10 years younger . it depend on the player's age , now the gulf leagues are being watched and there are more chance to go to europe from the gulf than from USA .

false .

"there are more chance to go to europe from the gulf than from USA"

your basing this on what?

Doesn't this mean that LA has to trade Landon Donovan? He was already the "Beckham" exception I believe... unless LA has traded for another teams exception (quite possible).

Anyone?

shocking?

I'm shocked about the money he is getting... LMAO.. wtf?

EROD has nothing on Beckham!

but everyone knew Beckham was coming to the MLS for some time..

who's next...

Zidane to the New York Red Bulls I would assume.. haha ;)

I do think it's a mistake that he is getting so much jack though.. now everyone that comes over to the MLS is going to try get that type of money.. I'm talking Ronaldo... Figo.. Zidane type players that I we been hearing rumors about for sometime are going to expect to be paid like that which is NOT going to happen.. OR I don't see where they are going to get all that money from. oh well...

good news for MLS.. bad news for the NHL.. I think the MLS just surpassed the NHL in popularity in the United States. lol

AND they sure are hoping one player is going to do what Pele did in the 70's for the New York Cosmos for SOccer in the US.. I Doubt Beckham can have the same effect on soccer in the US as Pele did. They have to get other stars like the ones I named above to help out.. making Beckham the highest paid athlete in US Sports is funny..! I wonder what the MLB.. NFL.. and NBA players are going to do when they see that! haha

ps. I guesS Beckham can buy the MLS now with that contract!
if zidane wanted money he would have stayed in madrid . he didn't leave madrid for a better contract , he left mardrid for no contract .
zidane is not the kind to show what he's doing but he's one of the football players that give the most to the poor people , he just do that discretely . please keep him out of the boys band you choose .

Doesn't this mean that LA has to trade Landon Donovan? He was already the "Beckham" exception I believe... unless LA has traded for another teams exception (quite possible).

Anyone?
I am willing to bet the Beckham move has as good as bought him the captaincy of the club. You can make your own conclusion on how that effects Donovan's position in the team. And thats as well as the consequences of the wage cap exception. Although it seems the MLS have apparently bent the (extremely strange) rules to accommodate Beckham already.

BTW my opinion on the wage cap and its one sole exception rule is this. Its stupid! How can allowing one player to earn a majority compared to the rest of the team make sense. Its highlighting that player and basically stating that he is the 'MVP' of the club. Meaning there is only one possibility of an accomplished talent in each team. This means the teams are never going to progress significantly, one good player does not make a team whatever anyone says. I'm no expert on the MLS but if this is anything to go by no wonder the competition isn't fierce.

This actually highlights how little money there must be in American 'Soccer'. As I think csaunders was trying to say in a previous post, twilight players from Europe are much more likely to go to the Gulf for money rather than America. Because there just isn't a significant cash flow generated in this sport over there. Beckham is the only exeption in this case because of his market power.

This is a main reason why Beckham has gone over there. He thinks he can use the MLS as a blank slate and build his own 'Soccer' empire that he will become a major shareholder in. As well as the £128,000,000 he must think he can build the MLS up around his image. This is business first and foremost.

If Beckham thinks he as one man can change the face of American Soccer though, he is deluded in my opinion. Although MLS officials seem to think so judging by the interviews I have seen on TV. The fact is that although it is gaining popularity in the young, Football as we know it just isn't going to make it compared to the big 4 already established over there. Where did the term "Soccer Mom" come from? it is clear that in America the game is seen as a sport for children.

"there are more chance to go to europe from the gulf than from USA"

your basing this on what?

facts . there are a lot of european coaches that worked there (luis fernandez , vahid alilozic , henry michel , troussier ...) and there are more and more scouts there and more and more offers . the only problem is that mostly the clubs refuse so most players wait for their contract's end like kader keita , oliech and I think karimi as well .
I think in usa you won't find underrated/cheap players and if a club has enough money for a non-cheap and foreigner player he would rather buy someone from brazil .
in this world and not only concerning football , the cheapest worker are those from poor countries wich are mainly in africa and asia , but also south america (a lot of brazilian worker here in japan for example) .
but south america is an exeption in the football world because the level is aknowledged by everyone . you can compare it to the programmers from india who aren't necesseraly cheap but a lot wanted because they are aknowledged .
this there are more players from africa in the gulf than in usa . it is mainly because of geographic and historic issue . in africa there are only 3 leagues in wich the players are decently paid : south africa , tunisia and egypt . in south africa they recruit mainly players from malawi , zimbabwe and countries from the region . tunisia is the league in wich you have most chance to go to europe even that's why there are a lot of players coming from good african in wich the language is french , and in egypt league you have players from english speaker african players .
but neighter tunisia nor egypt can compete with the gulf team who come and do their shopping in those leagues , and in the other african ones + brazil and (almost each gulf team has a
brazilian player) and there is no connection with religion as the foreigners have all the rights in those countries thanks to their foreigner status . you have to see what kind of paradise they live in mate , they are making fucking good money and live in what looks like a place for hollydays and are treated as if they were princes .

I`m sorry but the MLS is like watching tennis but slower every boys dream in America who plays futbol wants to go to EPL. C.Demsy just went to Fulham he over the moon he`s living the dream even if he doesn`t make it.Mls needs to adopt relagation this 10 teams reminds me of my pub league only different is money and we have 11 teams :lol:
ur a jackass and you probably havent even been to a game in your life.

if u guys do the calculations... Beckham is actually getting payed less than what he was getting payed last season by moving to the MLS... $250million in 5 years is still only $25million... which is about $5-7million less than what he was making prior from to the move... also, if u guys read a little more... the $250million isn't all salary, its with endorsement deals... so salary wise he's definitly not going to make the $8.1 million annual that he was making at Real...

either way this is a brilliant financial move for the Galaxy as there's no NFL team in LA and the next biggest thing in LA would be Kobe, but the NBA is over when MLS starts...

as far as whether or not he'll be any good... u never know... this really might be the spark he needed...

and sorry if i didnt' change the numbers back to pounds for most of you... too lazy...

I am willing to bet the Beckham move has as good as bought him the captaincy of the club. You can make your own conclusion on how that effects Donovan's position in the team. And thats as well as the consequences of the wage cap exception. Although it seems the MLS have apparently bent the (extremely strange) rules to accommodate Beckham already.

BTW my opinion on the wage cap and its one sole exception rule is this. Its stupid! How can allowing one player to earn a majority compared to the rest of the team make sense. Its highlighting that player and basically stating that he is the 'MVP' of the club. Meaning there is only one possibility of an accomplished talent in each team. This means the teams are never going to progress significantly, one good player does not make a team whatever anyone says. I'm no expert on the MLS but if this is anything to go by no wonder the competition isn't fierce.

This actually highlights how little money there must be in American 'Soccer'. As I think csaunders was trying to say in a previous post, twilight players from Europe are much more likely to go to the Gulf for money rather than America. Because there just isn't a significant cash flow generated in this sport over there. Beckham is the only exeption in this case because of his market power.

This is a main reason why Beckham has gone over there. He thinks he can use the MLS as a blank slate and build his own 'Soccer' empire that he will become a major shareholder in. As well as the £128,000,000 he must think he can build the MLS up around his image. This is business first and foremost.

If Beckham thinks he as one man can change the face of American Soccer though, he is deluded in my opinion. Although MLS officials seem to think so judging by the interviews I have seen on TV. The fact is that although it is gaining popularity in the young, Football as we know it just isn't going to make it compared to the big 4 already established over there. Where did the term "Soccer Mom" come from? it is clear that in America the game is seen as a sport for children.
jesus dude your so off on so many levels. The concept of one player making more money then the rest of the team is very very common in american sports. The players have grown up with this mentality. Secondly america is one of the largest economies in the world and they can certainly adopt another professional sport. Donvan is not the beckham exception. He makes $500,000 a year. Which is under the 2 million dollar salary cap. The overall salary cap can be raised from year to year to make the teams better.

" Football as we know it just isn't going to make it compared to the big 4 already established over there"

what are you basing this on? The new teams that have been recently added to the league? The 5 brand new stadiums being introduced in the next three years(stadiums that would rival many in the EPL)? The 4 Stadiums that have already been completed specifically for soccer in the last 4 years? The addition of Mexican Powerhouse Chivas to the league? The investment of $150 million $$ by Red Bull in the New York Team? (they paid $150 to buy the team and stadium rights) The addition of a franchise in Toronto, which has already sold over 8,000 season tickets before the season starts in April? The ESPN TV deal reached with ESPN this past fall, which is the first time that MLS actually is being paid to be on TV? Do you understand the amount of immigrants from south america to this country(its astronomical)?

Soccer moms is a term from Bill Clinton and his election years. It was thought that he appealed to rich middle class white moms, whos kids all played soccer, hence the term Soccer moms. It has nothing to do with what your thinking.

If i were to add up all the Millions of $$$ spent on stadiums, Red Bull New York(a european company infact), and Beckham, it might just be near a $1 Billion. If there is money to be made, people will invest. I dont think these corporations, AEG, Red Bull, Chivas, and various municipalities across the country that are investing $$$$$ into soccer are just doing it for the fuck of it. There doing because they see huge potential in the states. Ammerican investors didnt get rich because of dumb luck.

you'd better ignore that kind of despising message untill it's deleted .
by the way they have just shown beckham's transfer on new here and he said "I'm not going there for money but to make the team stronger" :lol:
how many players can they have for that money ? they can buy a whole ligue1 squad with that money/salary (except lyon) .

Back
Top Bottom