Votes: 212 45.1%
  • Yes, PES is still the better game

Votes: 146 31.1%
  • I play FIFA & PES, I like both

Votes: 100 21.3%
  • I play Football Manager/neither, they're both rubbish nowadays

Votes: 12 2.6%

• Total voters
I've played the FIFA 09 demo extensively and it's the first time that I've been impressed with FIFA's gameplay since the 98 version. I find it playable but I still don't get the same enjoyment that I do with PES(not the 2008 version). This may be down to it being a demo so I'll reserve my complete judgment until the full game comes out. I plan to rent it and then possibly buy it if it improves on the promising foundation of the demo.

I still believe that Seabass n Co. will make PES 2009 gameplay good so I voted 'no, still play PES' but FIFA 09 just might hold me over until PES release. It remains to be seen...for me at least. But I can acknowledge that Fifa is heading in the right direction. :-!:SMOKIN:

Just played the demo of FIFA09 and i really liked it. It's better than FIFA08.
It's certainly better than PES2008.
I will buy it.
I also have the impression that now there are differences between the players which was the one aspect why i always preferred PES even if last year's was a big decpetion.

Oh yeah, i voted that i still play both...
Gerd, are you on PSN, or Xbox Live?

I still play PES yeah, PES2008 on the PSP with updated kits and teams. Got it a month or so ago after I traded FIFA in, to help me with withdrawal symptoms! It's not bad, it's deep enough for me to have an hour on a day and although the gameplay ain't fantastic I've scored stunners, I have Gordon Ramsay & Chris Kamara in the centre of Spurs' midfield and I know how to get the opposition keepers sent off so easily. Fun fun fun.

I'll be getting the PES2009 PS3 demo and may buy it, if it's clearly shite compared to FIFA's gameplay I'll not bother. If its a bit worse than FIFA I'll wait til I'm bored of FIFA (won all the cups several times and got hacked off with the glitch / sweetspot loving elitist bastards online) and trade that in for PES to go editing KERAAAAAAZY! If the PES demo is just as good as FIFA (stranger things have happened), I shall sell some of my lube stash to buy it on release.

I've really lost touch with PES and FIFA, really disillusioned with PES and it's looking like FIFA will be the better game again this year.

I'm still playing PES6 which is still the best footy game on the market IMO.

Someone needs to patch it up to date!

Or Konami need to pull their finger out of their collective arses!

Gerd, are you on PSN, or Xbox Live?

Up until now i never beothered with PSN (i have PS3)....i'm rubbish at gaming, so online is a bit of a problem...not that i mind loosing, but i'm not sure if my opponents would like it...:SS

But maybe with a couple of people i really like, why not...and then i would certainly play a match against you proxi...thing is we are both Spurs fans... (we should start a self help group).

I played PES6 online last night, because I wanted to play longer halves and I can't play FIFA 08 after trying 09.
Well, what a load of shit. Everything just felt so on rails and just crap basically.

Main annoyances:

- No freedom whatsoever in passing, you can either do an automatic pass/through ball or a long ball in one of 8 directions. I just cannot play this way after using the manual control of FIFA. There's no skill involved, it's all luck and AI, not you. It just ends up being diagonal passes through the middle or through balls up the wing all the time, the build up play is shite in PES.

- Stupid AI, countless times I wanted my winger or striker to make a run and they just stood still, this is not a problem in FIFA because a tap of LB/L1 will make them run, or the game will just do it itself (shows how good the AI is). Also, defenders let wingers and strikers have acres of space, they just leave the ball alone if you're not "in control" of them (which is very annoying as sometimes the game refuses to switch to the player you want).

- Shooting. Again, a lack of freedom in this area, you can only choose the corner of the goal and the height of the shot. You can aim the analog stick towards the sideline and it will just aim at the corner of the goal. Where's the skill in that? If I smack a shot right into the top corner, I want to know that it was me who aimed the shot there, not the game.

- Ball physics/player physics. The ball physics are just so simple (hard to explain) and the deflections are bullshit (never just glances off someone, always hits them fully, goes up in the air too much etc.).
The player physics are even worse - players seem to be coated in oil and have no physical presence and they can turn without proper weight shifting, that 90 degree auto shot feint is a perfect example.

Animations - I won't be too harsh on these as I know it's a PS2 game engine, but they are so rigid and robotic, and they are annoying after playing FIFA 09.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob the problem for PES it's not PES6 was like that, it's just that PES 2008 IS LIKE THAT and PES 2009 WILL BE LIKE THAT.

Until they change ball physics, collision physics, control scheme and animations the game will go down. It may end up as a PSP or DS exclusive as I see it if they don't INVEST money and real talent.

That's exactly how I see it as well Drekkard. It's a decent game on PSP, because that's the kind of architecture that the game suits perfectly. It doesn't need anything more powerful because it adds nothing.

I still play the original PS1 games.

I've got all four, and they are still the best football games ever made.

Other than that I play PES5 every so often because it's the best of the PES-titled games, and by the looks of things, will probably stay that way.

I want Badgerman to come in here and express the fact that his opinion is the only opinion that matters in the world and that FIFA is nowhere near as good as PES.

[Badgerman]

nuhhh, yes, lets just say you have a brain for a moment and that your comment is worth reading. i am god therefore my opinion is the only one that matters, of course. but if you put this poll in the pes discussion forum, what do you think would happen? ummmmmm do you think that the result would be different? think again before you post sonny boy.

edit: i love destroying noobs. dirty lemons in your face fool. common sense ftw.

bmannn8.jpg

[/Badgerman]

Last edited:
Up until now i never beothered with PSN (i have PS3)....i'm rubbish at gaming, so online is a bit of a problem...not that i mind loosing, but i'm not sure if my opponents would like it...:SS

But maybe with a couple of people i really like, why not...and then i would certainly play a match against you proxi...thing is we are both Spurs fans... (we should start a self help group).
:LOL: Suffering from SAD (the Spurs Anger Disorder) is indeed a lonely existence at times. I'll ask you a week or two after release if you fancy a game, we could try whatever teams but I'm sure even a Spurs Vs Spurs match wouldn't be too bad, as long as either of us aren't sat near bottles of pills, or razorblades.

:LOL: Suffering from SAD (the Spurs Anger Disorder) is indeed a lonely existence at times. I'll ask you a week or two after release if you fancy a game, we could try whatever teams but I'm sure even a Spurs Vs Spurs match wouldn't be too bad, as long as either of us aren't sat near bottles of pills, or razorblades.

If we would play a Spurs vs Spurs match, i think something bizar would happen: we would both loose (in fact that's the only way i ever see myself winning a match: playing against another Spurs fan who plays with Spurs).

:lol: The referee would be the winner, managing to stay alive for the duration of the match whilst surrounded by 22 wearers of the clubs new shirt sponsor

SpursNewShir.jpg

Last edited:
I really can't comprehend how anyone can prefer Fifa 09 to PES2008. Absolute crazy talk.

It's like retro gaming, I don't see why anyone would want to play SWOS, or Kick Off2 or the like when they look and play so dated, yes they were awesome in there day, but it's 2008 and we have next gen consoles now, that's what PES looks like to me when I see it, a retro game, visually and gameplay wise.

It's like retro gaming, I don't see why anyone would want to play SWOS, or Kick Off2 or the like when they look and play so dated, yes they were awesome in there day, but it's 2008 and we have next gen consoles now, that's what PES looks like to me when I see it, a retro game, visually and gameplay wise.
I dug SWOS out on my old Amiga the other night but my Amiga is on it's last legs now... :(( I still love the manager side of it..

[Badgerman]

nuhhh, yes, lets just say you have a brain for a moment and that your comment is worth reading. i am god therefore my opinion is the only one that matters, of course. but if you put this poll in the pes discussion forum, what do you think would happen? ummmmmm do you think that the result would be different? think again before you post sonny boy.

edit: i love destroying noobs. dirty lemons in your face fool. common sense ftw.

bmannn8.jpg

[/Badgerman]

But I don't destroy noobs

I fucking wreck their shit because I am Badgerman

LEADER OF THE PES 2009 DISCUSSION THREAD.

Also Jack, I wouldn't class you as a noob but I did indeed wreck your shit today so apologies if you need a trip to the burn ward, you know I love you.

[/Badgerman]

edit: well this was the scene when I had a shit.

crowrs8.png

Sorry about your ice cream, Chris.

Last edited:
I voted for this option No, FIFA has become the better game though i still think PES5 was the best in the series.

I downloaded Fifa09 . Yes . the graphics and presentation is better. Players looks better. Also shirts etc. But gameplay still sucks. Ball physics is not like PES. And I don't like it.
What i mean when I shoot in PES I feel that it is a great shot or a bad shot as soon as I press the shoot button. But in Fifa you have no idea.
Fifa is improved but not enough in gameplay. As a PES fan I wasn't satisfied with PES2008 but I still prefer it to Fifa09.
Because I don't care much about licenses, shirts, stadiums or goal celebrations etc.
I just care about realistic gameplay.

Last edited:
But PES doesn't have realistic gameplay? PES used to have the most realistic gameplay because FIFA was so shitty before 08 came. PES might be more fun to you but it's not realistic at all.

If you're talking about the PC version of FIFA then I understand what you are talking about. Because it's not even close to the console versions. That doesn't make PES realistic though, it's just more realistic than old gen FIFA. PES still has PS2 gameplay/physics/collision and so on...

Back
Top Bottom