EA SPORTS PGA Tour [PS5/XBS/PC]

I'll try today. I was wondering which one is better 2K or EA ?
IMO the gameplay in 2K is superior, and having thousands of courses in an online database (even if half of them are poorly built) is great for longevity. However, it is much, much more difficult.

I even prefer the Career Mode in 2K, because the attributes system makes more sense.

Plus, on the EA game, after two rounds on the amateur tour (which is just one event) I've already maxed out one of my player attribute bars... That doesn't happen in 2K.

I'm still playing EA's game at the moment but it's largely because of the licenses. So basically, this is PES v FIFA all over again.

Haven't started my career mode yet, but having a good time with the game. Decided to put on my own restrictions of not maxing out as it plays pretty well without touching that. Just need a bit more distance and control overall. My player looks 5'8, so distances can't be too extreme.

Here are the settings I'm rolling with. Actually changed from Pro camera to Broadcast for the tee to green.

c3YtZW.png

BGTQlB.png

3A0fIa.png

Speaking of cameras, really wish there was a way to walk the green like in 2K, which is why I have to use the Putt Read option because I don't want to use grids as they just look ugly. There's the option to move the camera around when using follow or Pro camera, so I can't imagine it would be so difficult to implement before the putt, chip or pitch. That's where 2K does a great job with the putting/approach cameras, and is the reason the tour I run on tgctours has had the longevity it has.

Last edited:
IMO the gameplay in 2K is superior, and having thousands of courses in an online database (even if half of them are poorly built) is great for longevity. However, it is much, much more difficult.

I even prefer the Career Mode in 2K, because the attributes system makes more sense.

In EA's game, when you buy clubs, they have no attributes... So an EA driver, a PXG driver and a Nike driver are all identical apart from looks - but you then buy an "attributes pack" that applies to specific clubs, to make them better or worse at certain things. Which is absolute garbage (and clearly a way of making more money - instead of just buying a club, you buy a club, then buy a pack to make it play the way you want it to, and then you can change your mind and make it play a different way if you want).

That's on top of having player attributes, and after two rounds on the amateur tour (which is just one event) I've already maxed out one of my player attribute bars...

I'm still playing EA's game at the moment but it's largely because of the licenses. So basically, this is PES v FIFA all over again.
I don't think there's an actual PES vs FIFA debate here. The 2K/HB (tbf this is an HB Studios game) product is far superior despite the licences differences. As you said even the career mode is better in 2k23. I'm near the end of the trial and I'm still trying to understand EA's approach. These devs must live in a parallel universe and they think 80% of gamers are stupid.
Well, probably they're right?

I was testing some things and my hole ended on a triple bogey. Wtf. Is this for real? Did EA really put a triple bogey max/threshold? Is this company and their incompetent devs taking the piss?

I was testing some things and my hole ended on a triple bogey. Wtf. Is this for real? Did EA really put a triple bogey max/threshold? Is this company and their incompetent devs taking the piss?
Yeah, loads of people have spotted this one. What an absolutely bizarre thing to do. I genuinely think there's been some kind of bug with high scores and this is how they've "fixed" it, because they've just run out of time.

So much of the game has obviously been rushed to get it out for Masters week.

Yeah, loads of people have spotted this one. What an absolutely bizarre thing to do. I genuinely think there's been some kind of bug with high scores and this is how they've "fixed" it, because they've just run out of time.

This is absolutely bonkers. Ofc it takes an enormous effort to do over a triple bogey in this game (if you turn off every visual aid and have no clue about golf). Is this "EA feature" present in online matchmaking also? I'm just speechless.
Wasn't the game delayed also?

It's weird because I really want to love this game but EA are absolute vultures. You can only get good by spending money it seems.

It's weird because I really want to love this game but EA are absolute vultures. You can only get good by spending money it seems.
I don't get the "you can only get good by spending money". Even with a mediocre rated custom character you can dominate unless you turn off all the visual helpers. Which again it won't make any difference if you're a hardcore and experienced golf videogame player.

Still having a blast with the settings I posted earlier. Putting Read on is still a challenge because it just gives you the direction. Still have to set up the putt's speed and direction just as much.

Best score so far. Trial is almost over, time to purchase this game and start my career. Also not going to upgrade my golfer anymore. Just need to get better at the game the natural way. Distance is fine, direction is better. No point in playing an RPG game with the upgrades.

sRWbVP.png

Still having a blast with the settings I posted earlier. Putting Read on is still a challenge because it just gives you the direction. Still have to set up the putt's speed and direction just as much.

Best score so far. Trial is almost over, time to purchase this game and start my career. Also not going to upgrade my golfer anymore. Just need to get better at the game the natural way. Distance is fine, direction is better. No point in playing an RPG game with the upgrades.

sRWbVP.png
I really admire your positive vibes regarding some games. It looks like you can even play a game like NBA Elite and find a way to have some fun! 😀
Regarding putting read helper I disagree though. At least they should have implemented this feature the way 2k23 does.

I really admire your positive vibes regarding some games. It looks like you can even play a game like NBA Elite and find a way to have some fun! 😀
Regarding putting read helper I disagree though. At least they should have implemented this feature the way 2k23 does.

The Putting Reader is interesting because it's like having a caddie who reads the green for you. That's how I've accepted it. Still very rewarding when getting the speed and direction on point.

I hate the NBA, so no worries there :) .

I have to admit, I keep coming back to it. It reminds me of FIFA in as much as I can see the good in there, and I want to love it, but there's just too much I'm struggling to put up with.

I am constantly, constantly overhitting every approach shot. My swing is consistently 4% "fast" but even when I club down, my shots are going over the green every time.

(I wanted it to be hard - but not when it doesn't make sense. I wouldn't mind if the shots were 4% of the distance past the hole, but they can be 50%+ past it.)

Does anyone have any tips on this? Do I just have to buy a better "club attributes set" or "ball attributes set" (as the default ball's stats are 25/100 for power, control and accuracy) - which is very clearly just a way of making as much microtransaction money as possible?

To me, it's painfully obvious that it's been thrown together to make as much Masters-related money that they can while it's on TV, and then ditch it (for example, if you go to the player XP screen, press left and watch it go to minus figures :LOL: which is a bug they would have fixed if they'd had five minutes to actually test the game before release).

I have to admit, I keep coming back to it. It reminds me of FIFA in as much as I can see the good in there, and I want to love it, but there's just too much I'm struggling to put up with.

I am constantly, constantly overhitting every approach shot. My swing is consistently 4% "fast" but even when I club down, my shots are going over the green every time.

(I wanted it to be hard - but not when it doesn't make sense. I wouldn't mind if the shots were 4% of the distance past the hole, but they can be 50%+ past it.)

Does anyone have any tips on this? Do I just have to buy a better "club attributes set" or "ball attributes set" (as the default ball's stats are 25/100 for power, control and accuracy) - which is very clearly just a way of making as much microtransaction money as possible?

To me, it's painfully obvious that it's been thrown together to make as much Masters-related money that they can while it's on TV, and then ditch it (for example, if you go to the player XP screen, press left and watch it go to minus figures :LOL: which is a bug they would have fixed if they'd had five minutes to actually test the game before release).
Are you flicking the stick forward like in 2K?

I've found when I flick the stick, the fast downswing increases my distance. If I want more control, I push the stick through rather than flick it.

I'm also using Slowest swing for my player's information/identity. I've read that using Fast or Fastest makes swing a bit more manageable, but I've never done it.

I think it's more linked to the kids and them not wanting to be put off with doing badly. Just like how you can turn off negative commentary on Fifa.

954mb update on PC. Can't find any details about what's included though?
Was wondering if there'd be a day one patch... Zero information about it anywhere, including the official channels.

I'm playing both trying to see which I prefer. Both on trials. Enjoying the play on 2k tbh. I haven't figured out the full mechanics of the ea game yet tbf. It's like the sliders in fifa what settings do I play in the ea game to be challenges but enjoy.

I'm playing both trying to see which I prefer. Both on trials. Enjoying the play on 2k tbh. I haven't figured out the full mechanics of the ea game yet tbf. It's like the sliders in fifa what settings do I play in the ea game to be challenges but enjoy.
There's no comparison regarding swing mechanics imo. Whoever claims that this one has better swing mechanics is blatantly lying. Some people say "oh I'm getting used to EA's swing". Well, ofc after a while you're getting used to it, you figure out how it works. Is it good though? Nope, it's completely lifeless, you can't feel the swing and many times it's so random. The other game nails the feeling. You know when you've messed up, even on 3-click you know when you've made a mistake and the game gives you a millisecond to correct it.
It's just bizarre how EA managed to drop the golf ball with this game. It's like they don't want to create a good game. They have the whole package and somehow they've managed to destroy it: Triple bogey max, random swing outcomes, wrong putting grids, bunkers that feel almost like fairways.
Can they fix it? I know they can. Will they? I doubt it.
P. S. My children want me to buy the game for them after the trial. This is the current demographic of EA. They know what they're doing. They said it. They want 4yrs old children to have fun with it. Guess what though EA: The other game has also the options to customise the difficulty for 4yrs old children.

Last edited:
There's no comparison regarding swing mechanics imo. Whoever claims that this one has better swing mechanics is blatantly lying. Some people say "oh I'm getting used to EA's swing". Well, ofc after a while you're getting used to it, you figure out how it works. Is it good though? Nope, it's completely lifeless, you can't feel the swing and many times it's so random. The other game nails the feeling. You know when you've messed up, even on 3-click you know when you've made a mistake and the game gives you a millisecond to correct it.
It's just bizarre how EA managed to drop the golf ball with this game. It's like they don't want to create a good game. They have the whole package and somehow they've managed to destroy it: Triple bogey max, random swing outcomes, wrong putting grids, bunkers that feel almost like fairways.
Can they fix it? I know they can. Will they? I doubt it.
P. S. My children want me to buy the game for them after the trial. This is the current demographic of EA. They know what they're doing. They said it. They want 4yrs old children to have fun with it. Guess what though EA: The other game has also the options to customise the difficulty for 4yrs old children.
I think there's a bit more depth in the EA swing when playing on harder swing settings, with certain aids off. I was overhitting a lot of my irons because I kept flicking the stick. Once I started to pay attention to the backswing and ensuring I didn't overswing and seeing the arms go just above parallel with a full wrist cock, I knew that was my indicator to go forward with a pushing swing, not a flick. It's still not perfect, and if I need to shape my shots, I absolutely love that my swing motion needs to mirror the shot shape.

I'm a slowest* swinger profile too, so I'd be curious how the higher swing speeds would work.

I think where they dropped the ball more is in the cameras, and that definitely can hurt the immersion of the swing. Not being able to use broadcast the right way - as if it's trying to do a broadcast from where my golfer is rather than follow the ball - even on chips and putts. Then of course not being able to walk the green for those of us who don't want to play with grids/beads on.

Overall, I think EA captured the feel of a golf swing where there is proper lag, or x-factor, combined with the feeling of starting the downswing before the backswing to create that lag and strike the ball pure. I think 2K is very responsive and many good shots are straight - which isn't very realistic in golf as most shots will have a shape of some kind. If you're hitting dead straight all the time as a golfer, then you're probably scooping. The cameras of course are much better, and as I said, i think that definitely affects the immersion of the golf swing.

Anyone genuinely happy with 2K23 with its fake "Pro CPU shot highlights", good luck to you.

I tested 2K21 a few years ago, was really excited to think AI was involved in the "cutaway shots", screenvideoed them to compare them, in the hope every single one I witnessed was unique and genuinely "as just played on Hole 11".............then was angry as hell when after grabbing 100 of them, they repeated to the PIXEL................all canned, the only thing making them look "unique" was slipstreaming a different CPU "Pro" into the next highlight.

I cannot ever get along with a game with no real CPU AI in it, and that is where EA PGA Tour comes in. The AI implementation, esp in Quick Game mode where you can play alongside 3 CPU Pro's, is awesome, and the shot selection they chose, whether they prefer Fade or Draw shots in real life, is organic per each shot, taking into account Wind direction as well, but mostly they do stick to their known preferred shot shape type.

2K21 and 2K23 can take a long walk off a short pier as far as I am concerned. Because the 2K21 speil lied about Pro's playing against us. I do admit, it is VERY playable though, but I cannot stand marketing lies.

So EA PGA Tour is the Tiger Woods series and the one-off Rory game back better than ever, and anyone witnessing it in 8K @ 60hz is in for a real life treat..........it is STUNNING at that resolution, albeit just a little bit jerky at times on my 4090, but most of the time, it shows they catered for this resolution with textures not having to be upscaled.

This is as Next Gen a sports game as I have ever seen.

Except as we all agree, them player expressions and wide awake staring eyes !!!

;-)

Tried it. Hated It. 2k is miles better even with magic balls and a bizarre progression system

Haven't started my career mode yet, but having a good time with the game. Decided to put on my own restrictions of not maxing out as it plays pretty well without touching that. Just need a bit more distance and control overall. My player looks 5'8, so distances can't be too extreme.

Here are the settings I'm rolling with. Actually changed from Pro camera to Broadcast for the tee to green.

c3YtZW.png

BGTQlB.png

3A0fIa.png

Speaking of cameras, really wish there was a way to walk the green like in 2K, which is why I have to use the Putt Read option because I don't want to use grids as they just look ugly. There's the option to move the camera around when using follow or Pro camera, so I can't imagine it would be so difficult to implement before the putt, chip or pitch. That's where 2K does a great job with the putting/approach cameras, and is the reason the tour I run on tgctours has had the longevity it has.

Here's some gameplay video with explanation of my settings. Not sure about starting Career yet with my scoring lol

Here's some gameplay video with explanation of my settings. Not sure about starting Career yet with my scoring lol

Even if you start the career mode you'll find soon that the AI scores are beyond broken. EA just used the same code from their Rory game.
As you see in some posts above there are people who are trying to convince us that the sun sets from the east. There are experienced golf players in this thread guys, do you all think we can't right away see the huge issues of this game (and 2k23's)?

Back
Top Bottom