eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

They can't know the size yet, surely - I was thinking that was a placeholder, rather than official.

Got to say, I disagree with you on this one - if it was profit before fans, they'd be claiming it was a whole new game, and the PS5 etc. version would be a bad port. (Given the time being spent on it, you've got to think 2022 won't be that.)

They're being UPFRONT about it being a "legacy edition" by calling it "Season Update", which isn't something the other game does (if you're the Average Joe, you'll assume it's a new game).

PES has had the same core for far too long. This is a really brave decision, IMO. Whether it will be wise (or even worth it) remains to be seen, but good on them for doing this.

I don't like 2020, and I won't like 2021 - but I might like 2022.

Which is better than PES being the same for the next ten years...

I still dont expect much content. TBH as im on pc i dont care about content, only gameplay...still hopeful but if they did not do anything for PES2020 until now why in two months?
tumblr_nla0l141gB1ql8t12o1_400.gifv

goodbye

Seriously, when has a game taken 2 years to be developed (football games?)

Well Fox PES on PS4 was a constant development they just released the current state every year. They built a game from scratch. Unlike Fifa where Frostbie is reaaaally similar to Ignite, besides the visual upgrades it still uses the same models and core gameplay, physics.

Nope.

Also, aren't you unable to modify games/files that are downloaded via the Microsoft Store?

They can't know the size yet, surely - I was thinking that was a placeholder, rather than official.

Got to say, I disagree with you on this one - if it was profit before fans, they'd be claiming it was a whole new game, and the PS5 etc. version would be a bad port. (Given the time being spent on it, you've got to think 2022 won't be that.)

They're being UPFRONT about it being a "legacy edition" by calling it "Season Update", which isn't something the other game does (if you're the Average Joe, you assume some of FIFA's legacy editions are brand new games).

PES has had the same core for far too long. This is a really brave decision, IMO. Whether it will be wise (or even worth it) remains to be seen, but IMO the above things are, if not FOR the fans, they're good news for the fans - and good on them for doing this.

This bit did surprise me, practically admitting they don't have the resources to actually update the rosters - the entire point of this purchase - until the actual game (or add-on) itself has been released...
I am not sure @Chris Davies if the sales or the mircotrans are the most profitable way.
Putting my most optimistic maths, BUT THE MOST OPTIMISTIC POSSIBLE, sales accoridng to charts are around 1,5 M for physical copies. Let's say 5M with digital copies.
5M x 50€ average price=250.000.000 €

According to the last revenue, it was 2Billion from microtrans. If we say divide by three, cause there are three games mainly at the market, PES, Yugioh and PESmobile, 2.000.000.000 / 3= 666.666.666,6666.... 600M € approximatelly VS 250M € approx.

For my assumption microtans income has more weight than game sales income.

Of course this is not a 'Thesis" cause the number are unreliable , based on articles in the net, close to @$$pull, but that's the pesimistic way i see staff happening.
That's why i can't say straight that i agree or disaggre with you. I/we do not have a reliable source to evaluate numbers.

They're being UPFRONT about it being a "legacy edition" by calling it "Season Update", which isn't something the other game does (if you're the Average Joe, you assume some of FIFA's legacy editions are brand new games).
I don't see how this is different, the cover of the Switch version of FIFA 20 also states that it's a legacy edition:

81BOHWXuqeL._SY679_.jpg

I don't see how this is different, the cover of the Switch version of FIFA 20 also states that it's a legacy edition:

81BOHWXuqeL._SY679_.jpg
I'm going off articles I've read over the last few years - is the digital download signposted like this too? Perhaps I've been reading dodgy articles...

Nope.

Also, aren't you unable to modify games/files that are downloaded via the Microsoft Store?
Yeah I got Game Pass for PC recently and the games get installed into some Windows directory that it doesn't give you permission to access.

Might be possible by changing ownership of the folders, but some people have enough trouble following simple instructions for Sider. I wouldn't trust them to mess around with Windows folders :D.

I'm going off articles I've read over the last few years - is the digital download signposted like this too? Perhaps I've been reading dodgy articles...
It is too Chris. I am telling it to you from personal experience, as i travelled 640kms, to find a physical copy for Switch. :P

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/ea-sports-fifa-20-nintendo-switch-legacy-edition/

" EA SPORTS™ FIFA 20 Legacy Edition launches September 27th on Nintendo Switch™ featuring the latest kits, clubs, and squads from some of top leagues around the world. It will also feature some of the world’s most famous stadiums, including some brand new to FIFA 20. Gameplay features and modes will have parity with FIFA 19 on Nintendo Switch. "

EDIT: Maybe @Chris Davies you had in your mind the PSP versions of FIFA, which i do not remember if they had pinned the LEGACY sign, being legacy editions of 2005 edition.

Last edited:
"The eFootball PES 2021 Season Update features the same award winning gameplay as last years eFootball PES 2020..."

Yeah, I'm out :LOL: the only reason I'm stupid enough to pay for this once per year is the vague desperate hope of gameplay improvements!

Another thought: imagine they shut down online for PC unless you pay for the update. Essentially forcing you to pay for content that is created by the community at the drop of a hat.

So MyClub will essentially keep PES alive while they spend more time on PES2022... I wonder to what game mode they will focus the gameplay to in that case...

Aside from that, I'm not against the whole year off thing

Another thought: imagine they shut down online for PC unless you pay for the update. Essentially forcing you to pay for content that is created by the community at the drop of a hat.

THIS

IMO, PC and PS4 will have mods locked, forcing you to pay for the update....it’s blindingly obvious.

Seriously, when has a game taken 2 years to be developed (football games?)

Does anyone know if it's been confirmed that they're moving to a new game engine (such as Unreal) for PS5? Either way, they will have a lot of work on their hands just to port the existing game over to PS5, let alone writing new enhanced features, gameplay, etc

There have been suspicions that Konami removed a bunch of AI code on PES2019 and 2020 (modders have reported many missing references in the source code). This could have been because when Konami made the gfx improvements in 2019 and 2020, they realised the existing PS4 hardware couldn't cope with those gfx improvements on top of the existing (more complex) AI from 2018, so decided to ditch some of the AI to compensate, which could explain why the AI in 2019 and 2020 is poor compared to 2017 and 2018.

Hopefully the new generation of consoles (and new game engine) will enable both the gfx enhancements and get back to a much higher quality of AI than the last 2 versions.

Locking you out from modding a game you already paid for just so you can gift them money for their ridiculous, meager update would be the ultimate douchebage move. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do it. They definitely will if they think they'll get away with it.

Locking you out from modding a game you already paid for just so you can gift them money for their ridiculous, meager update would be the ultimate douchebage move. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do it. They definitely will if they think they'll get away with it.
Speaking about PS4, if the 2021 is a separate entity, i assume you can import whatever you want IN old PES 2020*. If it is an UPDATE implemented over existing 2020, there will be a similar case to people that cannot import OFs today to a vanilla PES 2020 ver. 1.00, for those who will stay with PES2020*.

*Added two sentences, in order to be more clear.

Last edited:
Speaking about PS4, if the 2021 is a separate entity, i assume you can import whatever you want. If it is an UPDATE implemented over existing 2020, there will be a similar case to people that cannot import OFs today to a vanilla PES 2020 ver. 1.00.
Yes this is exactly what I meant. I didn't say PS4 but it should be the same case. The only difference is that it is slightly more justifiable as you're limited in adding things for PS4 so there's some worth to getting updated kits for licensed teams and maybe they'd add some new stadiums and things like balls. Someone mentioned the Belgian second tier being added so if they can get more league licenses it is something I wouldn't mind paying a small amount of money for. But the idea of PES 2020 being killed off to make way for it is very concerning.

Yes this is exactly what I meant. I didn't say PS4 but it should be the same case. The only difference is that it is slightly more justifiable as you're limited in adding things for PS4 so there's some worth to getting updated kits for licensed teams and maybe they'd add some new stadiums and things like balls. Someone mentioned the Belgian second tier being added so if they can get more league licenses it is something I wouldn't mind paying a small amount of money for. But the idea of PES 2020 being killed off to make way for it is very concerning.
Yes we have very little info about this, if there will be seperate game files, or it will build over old pes2020. Also as for MyClub players, it is the same case, cause i have already seen some Boycot & Anger posts in the net, we also do not know, if it will let someone with pes2020 to play until August of 2021, as it happens in the older games now. Or it will be a forced server switch-off from September for 2020 players.

I think the information are too limited and we will not have the correct answers before the purchase date, judging from the general silence we had all this time.

IE, if it is simply an expansion update, i have already 800+ images in my PES 2020, should i delete them, to fit new images in kit slots? i hope we will get those answers, before we need to pay.

How will online even work? If you pay for the update, you can only play with other players with the update? Would enough people even buy it to make that viable for matchmaking? If they let you play against 2020 players would you each have a different set of squads?

What would be the point paying for the update if you play modes like MyClub where you're not using real teams anyway and it's going to be identical gameplay?

So many questions, and I'm not even really bothered as there's 0% chance I buy this, but it will be pretty funny to see the strange decisions and how much of a cock up Konami will make of it.

How will online even work? If you pay for the update, you can only play with other players with the update? Would enough people even buy it to make that viable for matchmaking? If they let you play against 2020 players would you each have a different set of squads?

What would be the point paying for the update if you play modes like MyClub where you're not using real teams anyway and it's going to be identical gameplay?

So many questions, and I'm not even really bothered as there's 0% chance I buy this, but it will be pretty funny to see the strange decisions and how much of a cock up Konami will make of it.

I think they'll simply close servers for 2020 and move on. Who buys the updates play, who doesn't not. Don't think it would sell anything remotely significant otherwise.

I think they'll simply close servers for 2020 and move on. Who buys the updates play, who doesn't not. Don't think it would sell anything remotely significant otherwise.
Yeah that's the most obvious solution I guess, they already close their servers for previous games very quickly (August/September) once the new one releases. Feels extra cynical this time when they're outright admitting it's only a squad and kits update though.

Edit - Just searched and found out it's usually a year more than I thought that they kept the servers open for 18 and 19, and going by the same dates it should be Aug/Sep 2021 that the PES 2020 servers get shut down.

Last edited:
I somehow agree with this.
Look, it will be a difficult year, to be honest, at some point it might become boring, but on the other side, look at what fifa did and how the trailer for 2021 looks. It is really the same game and will receive a marketing boost of a new game and another big income. People will buy it, but will end up having the same game as this year.

For Konami this is a gamble, because the expectations for the next game will be huge, however, the PES community is really providing, at the moment, some major updates, like the stadium or new fan made gameplays that are decent enough to continue playing the game.

I think (and hope) this will be a fantastic decision.

So is this just a Data pack being sold as pes 2021? Will they charge for same gameplay and updated kits that are still going to get replaced with mods? Disappointed if it doesn’t have gameplay tweaks....

If its an update would it probably mean my steam wont have pes 2020 anymore?
So many questions.... hopefully konami clarifies in the comings weeks

Im sorry to be skeptic but all you guys that say an extra year of development will work wonders and somehow expect Pes22 will be a game changer surely haven’t been paying attention these past 10 years...

So is this just a Data pack being sold as pes 2021? Will they charge for same gameplay and updated kits that are still going to get replaced with mods? Disappointed if it doesn’t have gameplay tweaks....

If its an update would it probably mean my steam wont have pes 2020 anymore?
So many questions.... hopefully konami clarifies in the comings weeks

Im sorry to be skeptic but all you guys that say an extra year of development will work wonders and somehow expect Pes22 will be a game changer surely haven’t been paying attention these past 10 years...
Too many expectations with pes 22 and at the end same trush years and years, this is not new and disappointment is always there

It's a standalone game according to the guys on twitter. So basically it's a season update for PES 2020 that is sold independently as a full game (at a reduced price) and not sold as a DLC for PES 2020. We'll have to wait to see if we are getting anything new gameplay wise.

PES has had the same core for far too long. This is a really brave decision, IMO. Whether it will be wise (or even worth it) remains to be seen, but IMO the above things are, if not FOR the fans, they're good news for the fans - and good on them for doing this.

This bit did surprise me, practically admitting they don't have the resources to actually update the rosters - the entire point of this purchase - until the actual game (or add-on) itself has been released...
CHris, i do understand why they are adding that bit. Here in competition stopped before it was finished. Bevere ngot relgated with one match to go (regualre competiotion not play-offs) and they still could have rescued themselves if they had won the last match and Oostende would have lost it.
So they went to the BAS, that is the Belgian TAS.
BAS decides that Bevere nwas unfairly treated. This is a precedent for other countries. Clubs like Hearts, Maiens and Toulouse will certainly go to court and i guess some English league clubs might do the same. At this moment we don't know if the Jupiler League will be with 16 (what the Pro League wants) or with 18 clubs (the sensible thing to do according everyone who follows football). That is only Belgium as an example.

I t is very well possible that come august there still might be uncertainty and the competition in Belgium could be postponed. Same for Scotland and France (fiirst and second division). All 4 are in PES.

Back
Top Bottom