Evoweb Gameplay Lab, FIFA 20 (Frostbite FIFAs?)

What I am finding is that the values are so impactful. Hope these are 32 bit doubles values instead of 16 bits floats to get the balance I want.

all floats i've seen so far use 4 bytes in memory so they're not double, but yeah try smaller adjustments maybe! We don't want any cdms falling on people's heads!

Man with:

gp_physics_soccerball_runtime
Soccerball_Mass
: def: 0.454 set to: 0.554
Soccerball_Radius: def: 0.365 set to: 0.375

and

gp_physics_soccerfield_runtime
Field_GlobalRollFrictionMult
; def: 1.5 set to 1
Observation: pretty much what it says. The lower the value the longer the ball will roll before stopping.

That ball comes to life!

I loved how they reset their attack on this one:

Last edited:
About my above post.
I think those changes really open up the play. As the user you feel less forced to play small lateral passes.
The ball moves faster than on default with the rollfriction reduced but the increase in ball weight prevent the cpu from stringing too many quick and hard passes, because when a player has to control a hard pass, he takes a small hit that prevent him from playing the ball imediately.
I could take a reduction in the initial speed of the passes (when the ball leaves the foot) though to balance the things out.

Here is a link toward the mod in case someone wants to try it out:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fp18unwi96d0nrb/PaP_gameplay2.fbmod/file

It include the previous change of the walk speed set to 0.18.
I play this on normal speed.

Last edited:
About my above post.
I think those changes really open up the play. As the user you feel less forced to play small lateral passes.
The ball moves faster than on default with the rollfriction reduced but the increase in ball weight prevent the cpu from stringing too many quick and hard passes, because when a player has to control a hard pass, he takes a small hit that prevent him from playing the ball imediately.
I could take a reduction in the initial speed of the passes (when the ball leaves the foot) though to balance the things out.

Here is a link toward the mod in case someone wants to try it out:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fp18unwi96d0nrb/PaP_gameplay2.fbmod/file

It include the previous change of the walk speed set to 0.18.
I play this on normal speed.

I just gave it a try for a while using Operation Sports sliders V3. It definitely makes a difference and from what I've played so far, I quite like it!

The ball has more freedom to it. I'm noticing the impact on shooting is quite clear also, the ball seems to move a little differently and shots seem to have a bit more power behind them possibly, would that be right?

In regards to the walk speed change, what will this impact? I did notice it was harder to create chances which I liked, and I did feel like defensive AI was a little more aware. Good work with this.

In regards to the walk speed change, what will this impact?

Thanks! Yeah shots feels a bit more powerful because of the weight of the ball.

About the quoted question, just read a few post back. I explained my "theory".
Watch out because with marking at 72 it might be an overkill.

Thanks! Yeah shots feels a bit more powerful because of the weight of the ball.

About the quoted question, just read a few post back. I explained my "theory".
Watch out because with marking at 72 it might be an overkill.
Was just reading through the thread now and saw your post on the walk speed. Your theory seems to make sense. I’ll keep testing, but from what I played I didn’t feel like I was getting pressed all over the place or anything odd. I was still able to create but found it more difficult which I really liked.

I also saw a couple of really nice and unique goals scored from the AI and one from myself. The shots seem less predictable.

This is the last one for the soccerball physics as I have no clue about what the others do :P

gp_physics_soccerball_runtime
Soccerball_Inertia:
default:0.666 Tried: 0.999; 100; 0.001
Observations: Contol the tendency of the ball to conserve its vertical trajectory. The lower the value the more gravity affects the ball resulting in bended tajectories. Values are likely varying between 0 (no inertia) and 1 (full inertia).

I also corrected in my previous post for the same file: https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/evoweb-gameplay-lab-fifa-20-frostbite-fifas.82886/post-3532302

Last edited:
Do you know the difference between 'databases' and 'groups' in the gameplay folder? I've noticed there are different values in the different folders...Should we be working from a particular folder?

@papinho81 After more testing I see what you mean. Played Man City and it was a chaotic mess haha.

Playing Man City is my benchmark working on this. I've made some progress yesterday and had the best match I've ever had against Man City. I think I've found a way to fix the unrealistic high pressure in this game. I'll post something for testing soon too, I'm also making some progress with humanising passing, but I'd like to test some more. I'm also testing on normal speed + default (50/50) sliders, when done I don't think there's going to be a need for marking at 72!! That sounds like man marking all over the pitch with huge gaps to exploit. My aim is for teams to keep their shape/formation which gives this game a midfield and makes you pass sideways, but not making them passive. It's tricky but for the first time I think it can be done, lol. Fingers crossed, I'll have something this weekend.

BTW, high pressure in this game is only "for show". It doesn't serve any purpose really. It's basically broken because you can brush it off with ONE PASS (unless you're playing with manual passing) because passing is designed for 5 year olds. High pressure = no midfield basically. A combination of teams pressing without losing their shape + more difficult passing is what may save this game, at least for me.

Last edited:
Playing Man City is my benchmark working on this. I've made some progress yesterday and had the best match I've ever had against Man City. I think I've found a way to fix the unrealistic high pressure in this game. I'll post something for testing soon too, I'm also making some progress with humanising passing, but I'd like to test some more. I'm also testing on normal speed + default (50/50) sliders, when done I don't think there's going to be a need for marking at 72!! That sounds like man marking all over the pitch with huge gaps to exploit. My aim is for teams to keep their shape/formation which gives this game a midfield and makes you pass sideways, but not making them passive. It's tricky but for the first time I think it can be done, lol. Fingers crossed, I'll have something this weekend.

BTW, high pressure in this game is only "for show". It doesn't serve any purpose really. It's basically broken because you can brush it off with ONE PASS (unless you're playing with manual passing) because passing is designed for 5 year olds. High pressure = no midfield basically. A combination of teams pressing without losing their shape + more difficult passing is what may save this game, at least for me.
Keen to give it a try.

Have you tried the operation sports sliders? For me, that’s my base and I want to try and improve from there. IMO they make the game significantly more realistic. The line adjustments, combined with acceleration and speed discrepancies don’t make me feel like I can exploit gaps in the high press. I find the midfield game is actually quite strong and there’s good pressure around the pitch. Things I would like to work on is the defence been so passive (the marking at 72 helps this but it could definitely be better) and to make chance creation and shooting a little more varied.

@manmachine can't wait to try it and read about the values you found that make a difference.

I am also using default sliders since the walk speed change.

Don't want to make an embarrasing assumption and say it's X, when I've changed X, Y & Z. Need to get a few more games in. 😆

Don't want to make an embarrasing assumption and say it's X, when I've changed X, Y & Z. Need to get a few more games in. 😆

Yeah sorry I meant more the variable and what they do than what's the best value. Also sometime it is not obvious and we can be completely wrong at first. That's just part of the process.

Keen to give it a try.

Have you tried the operation sports sliders?

Usually it's what I use, this year I didn't buy/play the game, couldn't enjoy it at all. I was playing older games.
But it's on origin basic subscription now, and this is a learning opportunity for us all, since these files are modable for the first time. So trying to fix things with default sliders makes more sense now, otherwise it would be a nightmare to test things.

Yeah sorry I meant more the variable and what they do than what's the best value. Also sometime it is not obvious and we can be completely wrong at first. That's just part of the process.

I'm testing the markingdist runtime, this will control the balance between pressing/keeping shape, but I'm also tweaking marking & workrate options elsewhere to compensate so that pressing still exists but is more "sane" & contextual.

Usually it's what I use, this year I didn't buy/play the game, couldn't enjoy it at all. I was playing older games.
But it's on origin basic subscription now, and this is a learning opportunity for us all, since these files are modable for the first time. So trying to fix things with default sliders makes more sense now, otherwise it would be a nightmare to test things.
Agree, great opportunity. There’s so many variables, it looks like we’ll have complete control over all aspects of the game. Just need to discover what they all mean! Haha

I agree sliders might not matter so much when trying to discover what many variables do but they can be a nuisance when trying to find a balance.

Who needs sliders when you can target more precisely so many things?

Another thing that you may want to test is the gp_positioning_positioning_runtime.

I'm hoping this may fix defenders following a run and breaking the defensive line. Since fifa 19 (maybe even 18, can't recall now) there is no defensive line really, and keeping a high line is out of the question. So i've zeroed all numbers in the DefenderBadOffsidePositionRate + Duration variables. It won't affect the line height but I'm hoping that we're gonna see less of a single defender following a runner when he shouldn't, playing everyone onside.

Another thing that you may want to test is the gp_positioning_positioning_runtime.

I'm hoping this may fix defenders following a run and breaking the defensive line. Since fifa 19 (maybe even 18, can't recall now) there is no defensive line really, and keeping a high line is out of the question. So i've zeroed all numbers in the DefenderBadOffsidePositionRate + Duration variables. It won't affect the line height but I'm hoping that we're gonna see less of a single defender following a runner when he shouldn't, playing everyone onside.

Interesting!
I also hate this stupid thing where the 2 CBS will follow an attacker so deep in their own half. It reminds me some of the worst bits from current pes. With this stupid behaviour it is so easy to open space. Press L1 to trigger a deep run of a teammate and all of sudden the red sea opens for the ball carrier.

Something I hate also is my ST being so easy to reach free of marking between the lines.

Very interesting things to read in here. I don't understand everything but what I understand sound promising. I'm looking forward to a "playable" version.

You can already give a go to the small mod I posted some post ago. It is very much a WIP but it already improves the things in my opinion.

I'm trying just using @papinho81's ball mod adjustments (not the walk speed). I'm seeing more physicality and a bit more of a midfield scrap which I'm enjoying. I think the ball being more free has lead to this as it's harder for both teams to get the ball under complete control.

I'm trying just using @papinho81's ball mod adjustments (not the walk speed). I'm seeing more physicality and a bit more of a midfield scrap which I'm enjoying. I think the ball being more free has lead to this as it's harder for both teams to get the ball under complete control.

I like it too. The ball is may be a little bit floaty sometimes on clearance headers and things like that.

While checking again the gp_actor_movement_runtime file I have noticed something a bit unexpected.
The difference in sprint speed bewteen fast players when fatigued (ATTR_SprintSpeedFatiguedTbl_MinMax_Normal [1]: def: 0.375) and slow players when fatigued (ATTR_SprintSpeedFatiguedTbl_MinMax_Normal [0]:def: 0.33) is much smaller than when they are not tired (ATTR_SprintSpeedTbl_MinMax_Normal [1]: def: 0.45 and ATTR_SprintSpeedTbl_MinMax_Normal [0]: def: 0.37). And fast player when tired are running almst at the same pace than the slowest player when fresh.

Do you think a fresh Mertesacker can beat a burned Mbappe?

For the game it means that as the time advances, pace becomes less and less important (for the best or the worst). Also subsitutes are likely to have an immediate impact.

Last edited:
I have some time for testing this afternoon so sorry if I am spamming the thread :)

Here is a value which I think improves the players movement physics and more specifically the slidyness

gp_actor_movement_runtime
ATTR_DribbleMinTouchInterruptPenalty:
def: 2; Test: 10
Observation: I think it controls the number of frame it takes to the player to take the next touch when dribbling. As a consequence foot planting looks more believable.

I might look sammy, but it doesn't have the same punch/reactivity when the value is increased.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom