Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Latest from EA

Hmm, sounds like they're still about a week away then, since they haven't submitted the patches to Songy/MS for approval? Weren't we told in the past the approval process takes a few days minimum?

Can someone enlighten me to what's going on with the leaderboards they're referring to? I thought flag glitching had been fixed already, or is it something else?

Sony are usually pretty quick with approving patches, but MS can take the piss sometimes with all that.

But yeah, seems a good 2 weeks away, yet.

Personally I don't see examples of alleged attribute boosting, or of refs being biased. I've been playing on Legendary through 09/10/WC/11 and never felt that I've been unfairly treated by the refs in comparison to my CPU opponent. The AI doesn't suddenly decide to be impossible to score against, it can just feel like that when something doesn't fall your way. People (better than me at this game) can play on Legendary and win, it's never literally impossible. I honestly think all of this, including things like 'speed catchup', is perceived rather than actually happening.

Those perceptions may well come about from some elements not being perfectly well balanced, but I think a large chunk of it is also down to gamer paranoia. We don't trust the game because it's controlling itself, our egos make us refuse to believe we can be beaten fairly by a machine, we like things to go our own way when we're playing something for our own entertainment, and as football/sports fans we have an instinctively myopic impartiality towards our own side.

Personally I play on Legendary because I crave the challenge. I play 10 minute matches and I don't need to score/win to enjoy myself... in fact if winning matches starts becoming an expectation then I'll begin to lose interest. Football games, in fact video games in general, are most enjoyable to me when I feel like the odds are stacked against and I have to strategise a way of overcoming it. That's the whole point of games, isn't it?

I re-played the entire Company of Heroes campaign using infantry only. It was fun to find ways of taking on enemy vehicles without vehicles of my own. Unfair, sure! Masochistic at times. But engaging. I find that if the game isn't capable of slapping you down every now and then, I think it just becomes routine. You might as well have a one-button control pad with 'I win' written on it.

If some things are perceived as unfair, like the AI's propensity for the cross-header 'autogoal', well... there's a challenge for you right there. Get better at jostling to win the header. Become more proficient at positioning your fullback to block more crosses at source. Don't let the opponent work the ball wide so easily. Give the ball away less often in the first place :) . Is it fair and well-balanced that their crossing is so accurate so often? Hell no. But how satisfying when you still win the game.

If you find that more frustrating than fun, or have a fundamental disagreement with having to compete on what you consider not to be a level playing field, then that's more than understandable. Stick to the medium difficulties, as is everyone's perogative. But my opinion is that there are some misconceptions and exaggerations that surround the higher difficulty settings, which can become self-perpetuating.

Completely agree with this.

I too have been playing on Legendary difficulty since Fifa09 and have never felt cheated by the CPU opponent. Throughout the series, goals scored against me usually come from me being lazy (like quickly tapping pass without aiming on a freekick or goalkick), or getting caught trying to dribble out of the back, or getting caught trying to pass a clearance out instead of booting it, or trying to head the ball out of the box instead of an easy header out of bounds, etc.

At least in FIFA 11 the CPU can put up a bit of a fight. The better dribblers are now put to good use by the CPU and can open up my defense if a rush in to tackle or get out of position. The CPU is also more clinical in front of goal (finally) and get some goals from outside the area. I still dominate chances and possession against the CPU, but that is likely to happen as I play a very patient build up. Hopefully the CPU can combat my tactics in future FIFAs with more success, but for this iteration EA has done a good job improving the CPUs attack.

Also, I once again re-issue a challenge for someone to show me a video of the CPU defensive players being able to run down the fastest attackers in the game. Because I never see this. Once I get away from the defense with a player the likes of Torres or Robben, I'm gone, leaving the CBs behind me losing ground. Yes, you have to use the knock ahead dribble, and yes, they can't be running along side you (where they will use their strength to disrupt your stride), but once you get past them into space, there should be no catching you.

Anyways, just a response to the complaints about "cheating" at the higher difficulty levels. In my experience these complaints are totally unfounded and people who wish to step up the difficulty level should have no concerns about CPU players getting "stat boosts" or whatever.

Again, show me some videos of cheating and we can talk... until then, it's just the same conspiracy arguments we hear every year, with zero evidence to back them up.

Can someone enlighten me to what's going on with the leaderboards they're referring to? I thought flag glitching had been fixed already, or is it something else?

For some reason though, I still see people in the lobbies with flags from countries that the Xbox isn't even available in. I'm sure anyone can import an Xbox no matter where they are but some of these flags I've never seen before in the lobbies on FIFA 10, let alone in my actual life. :p

What I've noticed though is that I'll get beat by someone with about 2000 more skill points than me, I'll be dominating possession and I'll lose somewhere around the 90' to a late goal. For some reason, I end up losing something like 50 points. Our teams are even (when I play with United I take out Rooney, and put in players like Rafael, Park, Ando), he's more highly ranked, and I still lose a massive amount of points.

I drew a game to a guy with something like 2300 points to my 1700 (one again by a scoreline of 1-0 and again late in the game) and I still lost 19 points.

I've even had situations where both me and my opponent have gained points, even when I win.

I always dominate possession. ALWAYS. That's the only thing that makes this game slightly rewarding is putting a good passing move together. And normally it's some BS goal at the end of the game that does me in, and then I lose 50 points.

If I were to win any of these close games. With the same stat lines (less tackles, less fouls, more possesion, etc.), I'll only gain like 23 points no matter how good the guy I'm playing is.

Something has to be going on.

I've become something like a psycho with the way I'm worrying about my W/L ratio. So once they reset the stats (which I hope they do for everyone), I'm not playing ranked every again, LOL. UNLESS they find a way to force pro passing on (and turn it up as well), and stop the glitchers.

------

One a related note (concerning glitches), I've noticed that there seems to be a player who's ALWAYS dead tired on certain teams that I play on. Like Cissokho on Lyon or Walcott on Arsenal. With Cissokho it seems that his stamina is a 0 because he's always on red and I don't sprint with him. With Walcott, I'll sprint one time (a long run on a counter attack for instance) and he'll be tired for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
It might be related to work rate. One of my wingers is ALWAYS tired at around 60-70 minutes. But he has a high/med work rate, and is always tracking back on defense.

Yep same with Andrew Driver for me, I had to adjust his attacking/defending workrate and mentality arrows to give him less work to do.

Yep same with Andrew Driver for me, I had to adjust his attacking/defending workrate and mentality arrows to give him less work to do.

And you had success with offsetting his personal workrate attributes using the formation settings? What did you do, change an arrow from default to low, or just to medium?

Forgive me for stating the obvious but I suppose having a work rate attribute of high is not a good thing if the player also doesn't have a high enough stamina attribute to compensate for the extra effort.

I wonder if this is why - or at least connected to why - so few players with OVRs lower than 75 (i.e. lesser known players) have personal workrate attributes other than med/med?

I'm not sure that's how it should be but whatever.

His original LW orders were attacking high, defending medium, tracking back arrow and attacking arrow, I removed the defending arrow and set defending to low, however I think that might not be completely necessary as I hadn't taken into account the match fitness issue (which I mention in the career thread), once he'd played a few matches with us he wasn't getting quite so tired throughout the match so it's possible I can give him more work to do now :)

EA really should apply all this great stuff they have working behind the scenes. For instance They just leave many players and teams on default for custom tactics as well as their attack/defence mindset. It would make the game far more variable to face teams with a wide ranging attacking and defensive mindset. As it is, it can get repetetive at times. It plays such a smooth game though. IMO nearly faultless. That's also the problem too though IMO. Just... not much to write home about after you've got the hang of things.

Major work needs to be done on off the ball (defense/offence) stuff for FIFA12 imo. It would improve the game to no-end.

EA really should apply all this great stuff they have working behind the scenes. For instance They just leave many players and teams on default for custom tactics as well as their attack/defence mindset. It would make the game far more variable to face teams with a wide ranging attacking and defensive mindset. As it is, it can get repetetive at times. It plays such a smooth game though. IMO nearly faultless. That's also the problem too though IMO. Just... not much to write home about after you've got the hang of things.

Major work needs to be done on off the ball (defense/offence) stuff for FIFA12 imo. It would improve the game to no-end.

My theory is it's due to laziness and poor handling of Personality+. Like I've said before, if you look at the EPL teams, almost all their players have individual work rate attributes that are not Med/Med, so even though the EPL teams are set to default work rates in their formations, they don't play that way because of the huge variety in player work rate attributes, thanks to P+.

HOWEVER, once you start looking beyond the EPL teams, with the exception of the big names like Barca and Real, you begin to notice that most players have work rate attributes of Med/Med (a failure of P+) while, just like the EPL teams, their team formations are set to default work rates. Thus, teams outside the EPL for the most part all play with med/med work rates at most, if not every, position.

You can imagine what happened: EA added individual work rate attributes this year as part of P+. Probably thinking that they wanted P+ to be more important than team default settings from the past, they added the new option in custom formations where you can set work rates to default, which would mean the player's work rate attribute would dictate how he plays. BUT, because this is EA only the most popular players were given individual work rate attributes, thus we have the problem of lack of variety like you described because most positions at most teams are playing with a Med/Med default work rate.

That's my theory anyway.

(And I agree - AI absolutely MUST be a priority for next year.)

All I see is this:

It was pulled but I got a copy...
Hi everyone,

First of all, we’d like to thank you all for your continued patience while we work on the latter stages of the FIFA 11 XBOX 360 and PS3 patch release. We’d like to update you about that, as well as share some information regarding an upcoming update for the FIFA 11 Ultimate Team downloadable mode.

- After months of hard work, the FUT 11 console dev team are happy to bring you the latest iteration of the mode earlier than ever and, for the first time, free of charge! Part of the process for getting the game into your consoles will be a downloadable game update for XBOX 360 users on November 1st, this prepares the game to receive the FUT DLC that will be made available on November 3rd. And PS3 users will be prompted to download an update that contains FUT on 3 November itself (although in some regions it may be available November 2nd). It’s important to note that in both cases the update you download will NOT address any FIFA 11 console issues, it only contains the FUT 11 game mode. Our certification submission with Microsoft and Sony for FUT started prior to FIFA 11’s launch and is a completely separate thing.

- While we don’t have the official date for the FIFA 11 console patch just yet, we can assure you it is coming soon; we’re looking at a mid-November time frame. This update will have many of the fixes you have all asked for. As it happens, we were able to get the patch submitted to Microsoft and Sony just after the FUT 11 update was approved, helping us to streamline that process and avoid any conflict between FUT 11 and FIFA 11 console.

Any questions, let us know!

You have got to be FUCKING kidding me!!

Hi everyone,

First of all, we’d like to thank you all for your continued patience while we work on the latter stages of the FIFA 11 XBOX 360 and PS3 patch release. We’d like to update you about that, as well as share some information regarding an upcoming update for the FIFA 11 Ultimate Team downloadable mode.

- After months of hard work, the FUT 11 console dev team are happy to bring you the latest iteration of the mode earlier than ever and, for the first time, free of charge! Part of the process for getting the game into your consoles will be a downloadable game update for XBOX 360 users on November 1st, this prepares the game to receive the FUT DLC that will be made available on November 3rd. And PS3 users will be prompted to download an update that contains FUT on 3 November itself (although in some regions it may be available November 2nd). It’s important to note that in both cases the update you download will NOT address any FIFA 11 console issues, it only contains the FUT 11 game mode. Our certification submission with Microsoft and Sony for FUT started prior to FIFA 11’s launch and is a completely separate thing.

- While we don’t have the official date for the FIFA 11 console patch just yet, we can assure you it is coming soon; we’re looking at a mid-November time frame. This update will have many of the fixes you have all asked for. As it happens, we were able to get the patch submitted to Microsoft and Sony just after the FUT 11 update was approved, helping us to streamline that process and avoid any conflict between FUT 11 and FIFA 11 console.

Any questions, let us know!
Football Live Team - EA Ca

This patch wont work retroactively will it?
I have an amazing CM going on right now, really enjoying it, but I keep hearing about people holding off on theirs for the patch. And I'm worried it will be worthwhile, but not affect my CM.
I guess I will probably want to start over then anyway, but damnit all.

Brilliant - you just know they're gonna do a half-arsed job on this patch. Get UT out early and just pray people forget about everything else.

Fucking. Livid.

That's EA for you. I remember the patch last year to fix the issues in MM resulted in it fixing about 10 of the 60 odd issues initially reported, then nothing for the rest of the year.

As for the earlier post about the AI apparently not cheating on Legendary, I disagree a little bit. I find certain areas where the AI clearly boosts its chances of situations going in its favour. A prime example are the refs. The AI can practically assault you, leaving you on the floor, then the slightest body contact without even pressing a button will immediately result in a free kick against you seconds later.

The AI's ability to do insane sliding tackles is also totally artificial. They can plow through the back of you, leaving you fuming that the ref gave nothing, but looking closely at the replay shows the AI somehow and impossibly got a minute 'nick' on the ball while trying to break your legs. It's really unrealistic and shows the AI does it just to win the ball at all costs.

Other problems include my BIGGEST hate of this game, the tactic of crossing and heading goals against you. If anyone knows how to stop this, then be my guest and put me out of my misery, because I concede a headed goal almost every time I ever play the game. I went over 1 calendar year in CM without conceding a goal from an AI's foot. The AI puts in an early cross, my defender never seems to react when I press the button to jump and head the ball away, and most of the time the AI seems to score a free header even when marked. And when I do actually manage to jump for the ball, the AI miraculously outjumps you to score the header. I can't really see how you can outjump people or not in this game. You just press the header button, the player jumps, the AI decides who'll come out on top. In certain areas of the pitch you'll win every headed contest with the AI, in your own penalty area the AI clearly boosts itself because it's the only way it knows how to score.

Is this just me? Only conceding goals from fooking headers has totally killed my CM for me, when the same goal goes in even if I'm already winning 3-0, it just winds me up! I long for the day when I see the AI pass the ball backwards (something I've noticed it cannot do and REALLY bothers me when I play), play the ball intelligently and score a goal from around the edge of the box.

Oddly, this happened to me in the demo and I bought this game convinced the AI was years ahead of FIFA10, unfortunately I think EA did a number on me there :(

You know, I go through streaks with headers. In my CM, and in lower league games in general, it hasn't really been a problem. But when I play with/against four star or higher teams, I do seem to concede more headers than should be realistic. At times I'll have no chance, as my defender will be positioned simply to far away to obstruct the attacking player, so frequently they'll score an easy header. At the other end of the pitch I also struggle winning headers, but like you said, in the middle of the pitch headers seem much more balanced.

Regarding the CPU "cheating" I have a new theory: I'm wondering whether the issue isn't one with "stat boosts" but rather the "virtual player" controlling the defense is programmed with unrealistic reaction times and instincts.

Originally I wondered whether stat boosting was going on as a replacement for proper AI, but now I'm thinking maybe it's down to just poor programming - on all difficulty levels (well, Pro and higher at least) the CPU reacts to situations at speeds not possible, or at least not likely, by us mere mortals - thus the game can seem unfair at times.

One simple example is using skill moves. If a human player moves his defender left to stop a dribbler, however the dribbler jukes and goes the other direction, as humans we have a delay in which we must see that, process it, and react. The result is frequently our defender will be caught out of position for a moment. The CPU defenders, however, seem to be able to react and respond quicker than should be humanly possible.

So LTFC, I know EXACTLY what you're referring to. Now I'm wondering though whether it's about "cheating" and "stat boosting" or rather that the "virtual player" controlling the CPU teams simply has been programmed with inhuman reflexes. And maybe I'm just mincing words and creating new theories out of my ass. Nonetheless, I know what you're talking about and you're not alone - it's one of my biggest gripes with the single player experience this year.

Last edited:
Completely agree with this.

I too have been playing on Legendary difficulty since Fifa09 and have never felt cheated by the CPU opponent. Throughout the series, goals scored against me usually come from me being lazy (like quickly tapping pass without aiming on a freekick or goalkick), or getting caught trying to dribble out of the back, or getting caught trying to pass a clearance out instead of booting it, or trying to head the ball out of the box instead of an easy header out of bounds, etc.

At least in FIFA 11 the CPU can put up a bit of a fight. The better dribblers are now put to good use by the CPU and can open up my defense if a rush in to tackle or get out of position. The CPU is also more clinical in front of goal (finally) and get some goals from outside the area. I still dominate chances and possession against the CPU, but that is likely to happen as I play a very patient build up. Hopefully the CPU can combat my tactics in future FIFAs with more success, but for this iteration EA has done a good job improving the CPUs attack.

Also, I once again re-issue a challenge for someone to show me a video of the CPU defensive players being able to run down the fastest attackers in the game. Because I never see this. Once I get away from the defense with a player the likes of Torres or Robben, I'm gone, leaving the CBs behind me losing ground. Yes, you have to use the knock ahead dribble, and yes, they can't be running along side you (where they will use their strength to disrupt your stride), but once you get past them into space, there should be no catching you.

Anyways, just a response to the complaints about "cheating" at the higher difficulty levels. In my experience these complaints are totally unfounded and people who wish to step up the difficulty level should have no concerns about CPU players getting "stat boosts" or whatever.

Again, show me some videos of cheating and we can talk... until then, it's just the same conspiracy arguments we hear every year, with zero evidence to back them up.

Spot on...very well said and I strongly agree with you. Never experienced CPU cheats or stat boosts myself and I play on legendary.

Last edited:
I read somewhere here someone complaining that FIFA11's difficulty is frustrating rather than fun..it puzzles me because if you want realism than that's what you going to get. If I watch footie games on t.v I see frustration from players when it gets difficult to score rather than players expressing 'fun' on the pitch.

Rather harsh handball penalty given against me:

handball.jpg

"c'mon ref is it my fault the attacker let me put my fist through his arse and out his stomach!"

At the other end of the pitch I also struggle winning headers, but like you said, in the middle of the pitch headers seem much more balanced.
Heading is just heading, it's the same wherever on the pitch you are. Perhaps any difference lies in the way that crosses behave differently (faster, less predictable) to the kind of aerial balls you challenge for in midfield.

Regarding the CPU "cheating" I have a new theory: I'm wondering whether the issue isn't one with "stat boosts" but rather the "virtual player" controlling the defense is programmed with unrealistic reaction times and instincts.
Well yes, I think that's exactly what it is.

Professional is aimed at being balanced for your average gamer. Those like us who are more experienced at these games, who have gradually learned how to play and know more instinctively how best to react to certain situations, and have the practiced coordination to translate those thoughts more quickly into button presses and deft stick movements, obviously need a CPU opponent who can similarly decide and act more quickly.

The point is that, being the highest difficulty, Legendary takes that to the extreme, and that means finding different ways to win rather than relying on pure reactions. In return you do have your own advantage of being more inventive and less predictable than the AI.

Other problems include my BIGGEST hate of this game, the tactic of crossing and heading goals against you. If anyone knows how to stop this, then be my guest and put me out of my misery, because I concede a headed goal almost every time I ever play the game. I went over 1 calendar year in CM without conceding a goal from an AI's foot. The AI puts in an early cross, my defender never seems to react when I press the button to jump and head the ball away, and most of the time the AI seems to score a free header even when marked. And when I do actually manage to jump for the ball, the AI miraculously outjumps you to score the header. I can't really see how you can outjump people or not in this game. You just press the header button, the player jumps, the AI decides who'll come out on top. In certain areas of the pitch you'll win every headed contest with the AI, in your own penalty area the AI clearly boosts itself because it's the only way it knows how to score.
Did you read what we wrote on the previous page about using :l2: ?

Winning the header is not about outjumping them, it's about putting yourself in a position to meet the ball earlier than they do. That means starting position. You have to use :l2: to jostle your player into the optimal position to reach the ball first.

If it's about to go over your head, hold :l2: and left-stick your way 'backwards' to give yourself a chance to reach it. If the attacker is slightly in front of you, :l2: your way towards the ball to get across the front of him and win it first. Generally it's a mini-game of re-positioning your player along the trajectory between the incoming ball and the waiting attacker's head.

Treat it as knowing that the attacker has the advantage. The ball has been directed to his forehead, not yours, and he's moving towards the ball. If you're just pressing :square: and hoping for the best then yes, you're going to be disadvantaged. I don't believe it magically boosts itself just because it's in your penalty area.

Similarly, concentrating more on using :l2: jockey to place your fullback in the path of the ball might allow you to block a larger number of crosses at source, potentially reducing the number of headers you'll need to challenge for in the first place.

This would all be much better if Crosses were less false in the game generally (human or CPU). I feel like they tend to be either sliced off the pitch or pin-point accurate, very rarely anything in between.

I read somewhere here someone complaining that FIFA11's difficulty is frustrating rather than fun..it puzzles me because if you want realism than that's what you going to get. If I watch footie games on t.v I see frustration from players when it gets difficult to score rather than players expressing 'fun' on the pitch.

You have the wrong end of the stick, the frustartion comes from seeing things such as 'speed catch up' and AI team mates being generally brain dead.

About all the "CPU don't cheat" debate, I'm still awaiting for someone who can explain why cpu players suffer less from inertia and why they can turn quickier than a human player.

Either they let CPU players do turn quicker and without any kind of penalty (programmed cheating) or either they simply have nanosecond adjustments to turn, in wich case it plainly shows how badly programmed it's movement physiscs in general, because most of the turns done by the CPU are absolutely undoable by a human with a pad due to inertia and other forces kicking in, and even nanosecond adjustments SHOULDN'T override inertia or other forces, in fact it's quite the opposite, if you turn during a turn during a turn in reality, you're going to experiment opposite forces that will make you fall flat, look stupid or just slower.

Though everything seems to be a case of simply pathetic and lazy programming, there's always those stances in whic you see how cheap are the shortcuts that the programmers chose:

For example, I've seen instances in which I press :x: but my player takes 1 second to do the pass due to his circumstances. But the CPU player that WILL intercept the pass starts to react to it and run to the point of intersection BEFORE the pass is executed. That simply shows how CPU is having exact information that shouldn't have in advance. The same happens with dribbling, there are times in which the cpu starts to react to a sliding tackle the moment I press the button, not when the actual animation of sliding begins.

It shouldn't be like that, CPU AI should react to things when they happen, not when the system triggers the events internally. It's as if I had onscreen warnings of where the cpu is going to pass or when they're going to slide tackle me. If a human had this information in advance in a match, we'll call it cheating. Thus, I call this CPU AI Cheats.

Just two cents about how "unfair" and basic and cheap AI is right now...

Last edited:
Rather harsh handball penalty given against me:

handball.jpg

"c'mon ref is it my fault the attacker let me put my fist through his arse and out his stomach!"

ha ha ha..:LMAO:

I have handballs switched on except for penalties as some of the penalties I conceded were so unfair, just like this one.

Back
Top Bottom