FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

Oh bloody hell. This is going to be arse isn’t it? And there’s not a chance I’m touching PES 2021.

what are we going to do for a football game this/next year?

Actually the defending system of 20 match the defending behavior of the/one of the best player in the world.

Yeah, I can understand how you want to give this guy the freedom to just play and move where ever he likes, he's that good, but I've always thought that you can't get away with it for too long on the top level with the way football is played in recent years.

Yeah, I can understand how you want to give this guy the freedom to just play and move where ever he likes, he's that good, but I've always thought that you can't get away with it for too long on the top level with the way football is played in recent years.
Exactly! Such a bad attitude example for the youngsters.

Best player in possession, worst one out of possession. But I still love him.

what are we going to do for a football game this/next year?

I know I will be playing any random fifa prior to frostbite or any ps2-era pes and I'll be just fine. Don't care for updated rosters or online though.
Maybe one day before I go completely senile EA will introduce a sim mode and Konami will finish their stuck on early access football game with some sort of passable AI & ML.

Last edited:
Speaking of Barcelona though...

Turns out they weren't allowed access to the Barca team for face scanning (with Konami having the partnership deal and everything) so they used this guy instead:
94292e4e4275acb103b9a1fd82230ddb

I know I will be playing any random fifa prior to frostbite or any ps2-era pes and I'll be just fine. Don't care for updated rosters or online though.
Maybe one day before I go completely senile EA will introduce a sim mode and Konami will finish their stuck on early access football game with some sort of passable AI & ML.
I’ve literally just bought FIFA 16 on eBay for 3 quid. I think this is the first FIFA on Frostbite but I remember it being good (but probably too easy!). Plus I’ve got fifa 15 which is definitely ignite engine and still feels good today and challenging (but too fast).

FIFA 21 co-op FUT could be fun, maybe? But what does it entail?

I’ve literally just bought FIFA 16 on eBay for 3 quid. I think this is the first FIFA on Frostbite but I remember it being good (but probably too easy!).

Nah, 17 was the first one on frostbite. It's actually quite good, but the tiny ball and the twitchy animations bring it down a lot for me.

FIFA 21 co-op FUT could be fun, maybe? But what does it entail?

Someone else will have to answer that. The first time I got into fut it was by mistake, I miss clicked on the menu. Then Martin Tyler started introducing me to some confusing stuff, I was having a panic attack as it took me 2 minutes to find my way out and it's not something I wish to experience ever again! Thankfully my credit card was intact in my wallet. Phew.

Nah, 17 was the first one on frostbite. It's actually quite good, but the tiny ball and the twitchy animations bring it down a lot for me.

Someone else will have to answer that. The first time I got into fut it was by mistake, I miss clicked on the menu. Then Martin Tyler started introducing me to some confusing stuff, I was having a panic attack as it took me 2 minutes to find my way out and it's not something I wish to experience ever again! Thankfully my credit card was intact in my wallet. Phew.
Haha I know what you mean about the Tyler intro screen! I actually enjoyed FUT in FIFA 14 but haven’t really played it since.

I seriously think about buying Xbox One Series X above PS5 for the next gen. I was wondering if I can take my FIFA points with me if I switch? I am not sure where my points are stored (PS4 or EA account). Hopefully someone did the same thing and can answer my question.
Hi WEtongelre
i 've a Switch, an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro. When I play on a console, the two others have the same FIFA points because It's the same EA account. Don't worry for this :COOL:

Any new sliders? Sick of seeing the same ones when it's been crying out for aggression and stamina sliders for years and years and years.
Doesn't seem like it. While the gameplay engine is still the same (just tweaked), I doubt we'll see anything in this regard.

But obviously on PC, you've got gameplay mods that do more - and the stuff @Anth James has achieved (best gameplay mod I've played for FIFA) is pretty great.

Not an excuse, but a workaround - which is what we have to do every year, and will always have to do every year, because we're not the priority gameplay-wise...

It's crazy seeing the difference in views on Twitter, but this one broke my heart:

Because a combination of PES's pace and FIFA's freedom wouldn't be amazing... Oh wait.

In two updates' time, they'll have listened to guys like this and it'll just be FIFA 20 again.

It's crazy seeing the difference in views on Twitter, but this one broke my heart:

Because a combination of PES's pace and FIFA's freedom wouldn't be amazing... Oh wait.

In two updates' time, they'll have listened to guys like this and it'll just be FIFA 20 again.
Yeah I’m seeing comments like ‘how can it get any slower than FIFA 20’🙄

I've always wondered:-

People who buy and play FIFA every year probably like football in real life and have a team they support, right? I mean, every single person here supports a club right?

Which means that FIFA players watch a lot of football on tv and probably go to the matches (pre-COVID obviously).

When they watch a football match, surely they notice the whole pace and flow of the games?

So why, for the love of God, when they play FIFA do they want it to run at a million miles per hour? It boggles the mind.

So why, for the love of God, when they play FIFA do they want it to run at a million miles per hour? It boggles the mind.
Because they all say that "games should be games" and that if they wanted to play football, they'd play it in real life (or watch it on TV).

I get it, but I also think that if we've only got two football games (PES and FIFA), surely they should both try and do different things, rather than PES trying to copy FIFA a little more each year (and in fairness, FIFA is doing the same), resulting in two increasingly identical titles (but only one with a decent array of licenses), and neither of which being close to a simulation.

Also, the more posts I see like this, the more hope I get. Damn it. It's the hope that kills you.

Again, the comments are generally a relief too...

Great goalkeeping here! (second clip/tweet). Seeing plenty of complaints about defending so far. Not a very well balanced game I would imagine...

People who buy and play FIFA every year probably like football in real life and have a team they support, right? I mean, every single person here supports a club right?

Which means that FIFA players watch a lot of football on tv and probably go to the matches (pre-COVID obviously).

When they watch a football match, surely they notice the whole pace and flow of the games?

One of the players in my online NHL League "hate football but love playing FUT"

True story,him and another guy are so pumped up for FIFA 21 and FUT.

Hardcore FUT players should honestly hold their tongue when it comes to the pace of the latest installment's beta. They fly around the pitch with a squad of 96+ rated TOTY players, in a inherently faster game mode that utilizes chemistry styles. The vast majority of their players they use are going to be at or near 99 pace, especially at this point in the year. Of course Kick-Off is going to seem slow to you. It's not that the pace of the game is that much slower (if at all), it's that what you're used to is so unrealistically fast, it doesn't resemble football or other game modes within FIFA! I know, it's such a difficult concept to grasp.

If I recall correctly, some of the top FUT YouTubers don't even follow the sport. For the rest of the FUT zealots, I'd wager that they either don't know much about football, or they just want the football equivalent of NBA: Jam. Children in general (which are a very large portion of the user-base) might prefer over-the-top, flashy highlights they can boast about on Reddit, Twitter, and YouTube to anything that resembles what they witness on TV. Would it be that far-fetched to believe that there are large swaths of FIFA players out there that don't watch matches week in and week out, but consume compilations and highlights instead? As in, they're only exposed to the best of the best. It would massively skew their perception of the sport if that were the case. Since FIFA is fairly casual in terms of gameplay, it doesn't require you to be a football nut in the first place. The barrier to entry just isn't there.

Then we have FUT "influencers" and wannabe YouTube stars. I envision them sat in front of their phones, picture after picture trying to dial in their best impression of "The Scream" painting for the thumbnail of their latest installment of clickbait. Strips of tape on the floor to act as a landing spot for when they they practice launching themselves out of their chair as they feign excitement for their latest pack opening that doesn't even correlate with the title of video because again, clickbait. Don't forget the advertisements for shady coin selling websites to keep their faltering channel afloat.

We'll hear them complain about the lack of "skill-gap" in an annual, pay-to-win game that's riddled with RNG because it's based on a real sport. As if FIFA is League of Legends. They're under the illusion that FUT is a "competitive" game when in reality, it was never geared towards being an eSport in the first place. It falsely brands itself as such in order to maximize exposure and profits. Afterall, they need little Billy to feel compelled to beg for money or grind for eternity after he gazes upon his favorite pro's 30 million coin squad. Need to keep those retention rates up to satisfy the shareholders!
fassadfsdf.jpg
You know what else would improve the skill gap? A game where possessing actual football knowledge is paramount.

Last edited:

I'm a firm believer that at influencer level FIFA is played by 'footy' fans, by majority. The only football they know is elite level and, even then, it's condensed into video clips and highlight reels, played exclusively in the final third. They'd be repulsed by 90 minutes of an agricultural Scottish match, or even a slow burner in a quality league like I often see in La Liga. Far too shit and dull, respectively, for them.

That's my assumption and I'm sticking to it!

Hardcore FUT players should honestly hold their tongue when it comes to the pace of the latest installment's beta. They fly around the pitch with a squad of 96+ rated TOTY players, in a inherently faster game mode that utilizes chemistry styles. The vast majority of their players they use are going to be at or near 99 pace, especially at this point in the year. Of course Kick-Off is going to seem slow to you. It's not that the pace of the game is that much slower (if at all), it's that what you're used to is so unrealistically fast, it doesn't resemble football or other game modes within FIFA! I know, it's such a difficult concept to grasp.

If I recall correctly, some of the top FUT YouTubers don't even follow the sport. For the rest of the FUT zealots, I'd wager that they either don't know much about football, or they just want the football equivalent of NBA: Jam. Children in general (which are a very large portion of the user-base) might prefer over-the-top, flashy highlights they can boast about on Reddit, Twitter, and YouTube to anything that resembles what they witness on TV. Would it be that far-fetched to believe that there are large swaths of FIFA players out there that don't watch matches week in and week out, but consume compilations and highlights instead? As in, they're only exposed to the best of the best. It would massively skew their perception of the sport if that were the case. Since FIFA is fairly casual in terms of gameplay, it doesn't require you to be a football nut in the first place. The barrier to entry just isn't there.

Then we have FUT "influencers" and wannabe YouTube stars. I envision them sat in front of their phones, picture after picture trying to dial in their best impression of "The Scream" painting for the thumbnail of their latest installment of clickbait. Strips of tape on the floor to act as a landing spot for when they they practice launching themselves out of their chair as they feign excitement for their latest pack opening that doesn't even correlate with the title of video because again, clickbait.

We'll hear them complain about the lack of "skill-gap" in an annual, pay-to-win game that's riddled with RNG because it's based on a real sport. As if FIFA is League of Legends. They're under the illusion that FUT is a "competitive" game when in reality, it was never geared towards being an eSport in the first place. It falsely brands itself as such in order to maximize exposure and profits. Afterall, they need little Billy to feel compelled to beg for money or grind after he gazes upon his favorite pro's 30 million coin squad. Need to keep those retention rates up to satisfy the shareholders!
View attachment 55656
You know what else would improve the skill gap? A game where possessing actual football knowledge is paramount.

You typed something far better in the time it took me to send my last post. In my defence, I was putting up with talk about patio slabs throughout.

View attachment 55656

That's also why I no longer pay any attention to the base speed of the game though. It's a bit misguided I think. Older games probably played at twice the speed yet they were better at representing football at the same time in other aspects. PES animations too fast? Just put the speed at -2. FIFA animations too fast? Play at a different speed/accel. value. (Yes I know it can be problematic/not a perfect solution).

But if defending or the actual mechanics suck and do not resemble the sport at all, we are all just arguing about what's the right speed to watch a defender standing still and not marking in fifa or ignoring the ball in PES. Ideally of course I also prefer a slower, more realistic speed, don't get me wrong, but at least it's something we have some level of control over. Broken mechanics on the other hand...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom