FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

and the season goes on... this time in HDR.
Let me know how the colors looked on your screen please (and if you were watching on a HDR capable screen or not).

we might get a 4K update... YouTube is processing for over a day now. ^^

I've yet to see a YT video of NG FIFA from the PS5 that looks as good as it does on my gaming monitor. It's not to hype my monitor up or anything, just saying that for some reason the game just doesn't look as good when it gets uploaded, encoded, etc...

I've yet to see a YT video of NG FIFA from the PS5 that looks as good as it does on my gaming monitor. It's not to hype my monitor up or anything, just saying that for some reason the game just doesn't look as good when it gets uploaded, encoded, etc...
Youtube compression gives the rest to a “only“ good recording solution I guess.

The latest Title Update will soon be available on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S versions of FIFA 21 and includes the changes below.

Link: https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/...n-5-and-xbox-series-x-s-title-update-1#latest
- Increased the distance that a ball can travel after being deflected by the goalkeeper’s hands.
- Increased the distance that a ball can travel after making contact with the foot or leg of the defender during a blocking animation.

Yikes, really? Every deflection / header in the game already travels for miles...

- Increased the distance that a ball can travel after being deflected by the goalkeeper’s hands.
- Increased the distance that a ball can travel after making contact with the foot or leg of the defender during a blocking animation.

Yikes, really? Every deflection / header in the game already travels for miles...
isnt this just the early ps4 patch that the ps5 hasn't got yet? When is it out

That is a joke if true.
It is not uncommon in the games I played when you make a block the ball travels near the half way line.

But then the amount the computer does when defending in my IMO is awful.
They removed all the AI control, so defenders are postioned to be dumb as f**k.
But then replaced it with everything else being automatic, so when you are in position the CPU will block everything for you.
It is not defending to select one player, and then you control his movement but the CPU does everything else for you.

I really do hate the defending in FIFA now, and it has been shit the past couple of seasons - It is just way to easy to score when there is zero positional play by the AI.

Last edited:
isnt this just the early ps4 patch that the ps5 hasn't got yet? When is it out
The post I've quoted states it's a next-gen patch. Sounds like it's out now, but I don't know.

That is a joke if true.
It is not uncommon in the games I played when you make a block the ball travels near the half way line.
Yep, same here. Hence my shock.

We know why it's happening, don't we? Because people are saying "when my player saves/blocks the ball, that should be it, the end of the opponent's attack - it isn't right that they can get the ball back and score, so the ball needs to bounce as far away as possible".

Exactly the same with tackles. They say no tackle should result in a loose ball. A tackle should mean you gain possession, every time. Your input was correct, therefore you should be given a reward. No simulation should be used to determine an outcome. Who cares about realistic?

Because those people aren't playing FIFA like a football game. They're playing an eSport, where everything must be equal, and fair, and almost be a turn-based game.

These are the people EA try to placate with every single patch. They're where the big bucks are.

It's time to face facts, they're not making a football game any more. We're the idiots for expecting otherwise.

I really do hate the defending in FIFA now, and it has been shit the past couple of seasons - It is just way to easy to score when there is zero positional play by the AI.
Yep.

Being able to just increase these distances like that also suggests that it's not even really physics-based. I thought blocks/saves may be about the only things with proper physics in the game (even if a bit wonky) but even those are animation-based with parameters to control the speed/distance the ball comes off.

Hi guys, some help please if you can.

I've put off buying a ps5 for now (I live in an imaginary world where they are available for purchase, not just to view on the internet) but I'm a bit stuck for a football game (pes is not viable for me till hopefully the King is Back next september, ahem).

I dont mind fifa 20 with OS sliders but it can feel a bit lacking in places. Fifa 16 is great, but I cant patch it and playing old teams etc gets a bit frustrating after a while. It also feels a bit twitchy and flighty at times.

So I'm thinking fifa 21 on ps4 for now, even with its midfield problems. But I'm hesitating...so I wondered...

Can anyone say, if you've played all three, which of fifa 19, 20, 21 has the best teammate AI and by that I mean where you can create fun, intricate, exciting attacking moves through the middle and final third of the pitch.
I've given up on the idea of a balanced game so am just looking for something i can have some fun with on and off for a few months.

I cant remember fifa 19 well enough.but would be willing to go back if anyone thinks it's more cohesive and exciting going forward.
There is excitement to be had with fifa 20 but too often, the players all feel disconnected from each other, and only occasionally do teammates actually support you, rather than just stand around a bit.
From videos, Fifa 21 does look pretty great going forward. It looks the best fifa has been in that regard, despite the poor cpu defence. But videos can be deceiving.

So yeah, if anyone can help, would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Hi guys, some help please if you can.

I've put off buying a ps5 for now (I live in an imaginary world where they are available for purchase, not just to view on the internet) but I'm a bit stuck for a football game (pes is not viable for me till hopefully the King is Back next september, ahem).

I dont mind fifa 20 with OS sliders but it can feel a bit lacking in places. Fifa 16 is great, but I cant patch it and playing old teams etc gets a bit frustrating after a while. It also feels a bit twitchy and flighty at times.

So I'm thinking fifa 21 on ps4 for now, even with its midfield problems. But I'm hesitating...so I wondered...

Can anyone say, if you've played all three, which of fifa 19, 20, 21 has the best teammate AI and by that I mean where you can create fun, intricate, exciting attacking moves through the middle and final third of the pitch.
I've given up on the idea of a balanced game so am just looking for something i can have some fun with on and off for a few months.

I cant remember fifa 19 well enough.but would be willing to go back if anyone thinks it's more cohesive and exciting going forward.
There is excitement to be had with fifa 20 but too often, the players all feel disconnected from each other, and only occasionally do teammates actually support you, rather than just stand around a bit.
From videos, Fifa 21 does look pretty great going forward. It looks the best fifa has been in that regard, despite the poor cpu defence. But videos can be deceiving.

So yeah, if anyone can help, would be much appreciated. Cheers!
They introduced a feature called creative runs in FIFA 21: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fifa-21-tips-how-to-do-creative-runs

Apart from that, I'd say that the teammate AI when attacking is fairly similar in all three games. You might want to look at default sliders because most slider sets tend to make the game more static.

They introduced a feature called creative runs in FIFA 21: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fifa-21-tips-how-to-do-creative-runs

Apart from that, I'd say that the teammate AI when attacking is fairly similar in all three games. You might want to look at default sliders because most slider sets tend to make the game more static.

Thanks for the reply. Really helpful as it's so easy to see what you want in videos.

I've noticed that with sliders. Its finding the balance I always struggle with. I will try 20 closer to default...

That's really helpful. It may be that I stay at 20 with bouts of 16 where I can stand the old line-ups etc...

If you play FIFA 21 today, you get (what I think is) a unique survey link. Please can someone report what their link was to me in a private message so we can compare (and if they're identical, we can share the link on here for everyone to provide feedback)?

Lots of gameplay questions about "do you think" (each area) "is underpowered or overpowered", and "do the patches solve your biggest bugbears". Interesting.

If you play FIFA 21 today, you get (what I think is) a unique survey link. Please can someone report what their link was to me in a private message so we can compare (and if they're identical, we can share the link on here for everyone to provide feedback)?

Lots of gameplay questions about "do you think" (each area) "is underpowered or overpowered", and "do the patches solve your biggest bugbears". Interesting.
No survey here.

It’s time for the Carabao Cup (round of 16), the last tournament we are still participating in. Leeds are guests in Millwall.
the fixtures:
AB4C28C3-4BCF-4233-924E-2FE4E275E0B5.jpeg
F44C2596-ADCA-4EF9-BCA1-4B7550AFC91D.jpeg

results of this round:
DEE03BAD-06F9-4BB8-B300-A16FE5A491B1.jpeg
A77BC466-6E45-488C-8F86-7CF611B88413.jpeg

next round fixtures:
DEEE7AF6-84DB-491B-ACBE-18438A9F5EFE.jpeg

reaching the semi final would be great. Playing the final would be awesome. I don’t wanna think any further ahead... ;)

enjoy! :)

Last edited:
No survey here.
Interesting...

@Redhat got one and kindly sent his URL via PM. It looks as though the URL doesn't change, other than your most often played game mode being placed in the middle ("kick" for kick-off, "car" for career mode).

The last two characters of the URL change too, not sure why (I had one C, @Redhat had two C's).

Anyway, here you go, guys - please fill in the survey. It's worth a go. (When it asks for your FIFA 21 opinions, if you haven't played 21, just answer as if they're saying 20. They're not that different...)

FIFA 21 SURVEY:

https://go.ea.com/dncarc

I remember taking a survey like this in 18 or maybe 19. Considering the games we've seen since then... that was not time well spent. 😆

I chuckled when it asked me to rate 11v11 gameplay. Very disappointed I could not reply with "what 11v11 gameplay?".
But I typed in "1v1s" as my least favourite gameplay thing later on. So I fully expect them to buff agile dribbling in response.

I have quoted about the defense since October. Nothing was done, very sad. They advised to take a closer look at the attributes of the players.

Defensive Awareness >= 95
Interception >= 95

Last edited:
I completed the questionnaire, I was scathing in my feedback...

The AI for career mode users is terrible, you've broken the defending, midfield marking etc, I usually buy Fifa every year and I'm sick of you pandering to the FUT crowd and doing nothing for career mode users. Once my Origin subscription expired I did not renew it and will not be buying any further Fifa's until the PC version is on parity with the PS5 version.

Its West Brom vs Leeds in this fuma Career Mode match.
let’s hope the final result is any better than the weather in this one.

enjoy. :)

Are you enjoying this?

Looking past all the typical fifa issues, it looks quite good, If a little too slow, dare i say it.
Not a bad structure to the teams, cpu seems quite patient and ball physics look very nice.

How are you finding it?

Are you enjoying this?

Looking past all the typical fifa issues, it looks quite good, If a little too slow, dare i say it.
Not a bad structure to the teams, cpu seems quite patient and ball physics look very nice.

How are you finding it?
It’s still FIFA.
i wanted to write about this in the comparison thread soon.
there are some parts I do enjoy (like atmosphere and variety) and others I just can’t stand (like skating or fuma controls). in the end it’s enjoying whats good... but it does wear off after some hours. Even when I’m someone who really can overlook some flaws and keep on digging deep in the positive gameplay aspects, testing and hoping and enjoying; I can’t wait for something really new to come.
2 generations, years have passed, progress gameplay-wise got stuck!

It’s still FIFA.
i wanted to write about this in the comparison thread soon.
there are some parts I do enjoy (like atmosphere and variety) and others I just can’t stand (like skating or fuma controls). in the end it’s enjoying whats good... but it does wear off after some hours. Even when I’m someone who really can overlook some flaws and keep on digging deep in the positive gameplay aspects, testing and hoping and enjoying; I can’t wait for something really new to come.
2 generations, years have passed, progress gameplay-wise got stuck!

Agreed. I've settled on ps4 fifa for now, 16, 20, 21 potentially.
If pes 22/fifa 22 arent a big step up, dont really see myself buying a ps5 for a long time. It's been a stagnant market since pes 5 arguably.

Thanks for the feedback!

Agreed. I've settled on ps4 fifa for now, 16, 20, 21 potentially.
If pes 22/fifa 22 arent a big step up, dont really see myself buying a ps5 for a long time. It's been a stagnant market since pes 5 arguably.

Thanks for the feedback!
I do get a lot out the career features as I haven’t played them as much as ML.

I wouldn’t say I have settled. I play both games atm. Part of it surely is the graphics update FIFA received and the hope some gameplay elements had changed for the better.

When you have played some hours, you will notice that all the control possibilities offered can be brought down to a few moves that are working the best. I do not play to win, I do play to represent football. Even on fuma you will get assisted and that I can’t stand. Annoys me all the time and still I keep on playing a couple of matches a week. I’m an addict. :)

Last edited:
This game stills looks terrible even on next gen. It’s the same old crap (sorry if you fellas are enjoying it).
I was on the fence about getting this and this video has made my mind up for me. That looks so bad (no offence I know you’ve said you’re enjoying it).

Also, that footage is everything that’s wrong with manual passing - that pass which just goes to no-one and the keeper having to sprint out just looks terrible for a ‘premier league’ match.
To be fair im back in between this and PES 21 - this does a lot right but the AI defending/standing still just pisses me off. I can manage to defend most of the time but its inevitable i will do one switch wrong and then there's a gaping hole in defense. Then there is the clear lack of fouls for three reasons - 1. The AI stands off too much 2. When they do engage and attempt a foul your player auto jumps over the tackle which makes me fume and 3. When there is a clear foul/block 90% of the time the ref ignores it.

That said there are some good duels which when i go back to PES i miss as there's too much space and i also miss some of the nice animations which add the FIFAs variety.

Im currently trying so wild sliders with competitive mode on legendary - 100 pass error 100 shot error and 100 first touch for the AI all to try and make it play more human without the stupid step overs - undecided at the moment

Back
Top Bottom