FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

Defending - Defensive Awareness Attribute Impact
The Defensive Awareness attribute can impact many elements of Defending Personality, and the specific behaviours below scale according to to the player’s attribute - exactly as mentioned in the Attacking session above.

• Run Tracking - Ability to track a run and anticipate one before it happens, with highly aware defenders doing a much better job at staying with their runners.
  • 2-Man Marking To Prevent Counter Attacks- Ability for two high attribute defenders to mark a striker so they have limited space to avoid a counter attack.
    • Requires 2 AI Teammate players, each with very high Defensive Awareness attributes.
  • Defensive Midfielder Diligent Tracking - The ability to intelligently mark and track runs by attackers without giving up or leaving them open. They will track dangerous attacking opponents even if they are already marked by a teammate, due to the scale of the threat.
  • Defensive Midfielder Cutting Passing Lanes - Awareness to position themselves better in order to cut off passing lanes and limit the opponent’s options.
This means that an attribute of 85 might feel good and have a pronounced effect, but 90 is significantly better, and 99 is exponentially superior.

For Example.

Liverpool Midfielder - Defense Awareness attribute

Henderson - 84

Keita - 64

Wijnaldum - 81

Brighton & Hove Albion Midfielder - Defense Awareness attribute

Pascal - 56

Bissouma - 70

Allana - 61

They greatly exaggerate with these attributes :BORED:

The Defensive Awareness attribute can impact many elements of Defending Personality, and the specific behaviours below scale according to to the player’s attribute - exactly as mentioned in the Attacking session above.

• Run Tracking - Ability to track a run and anticipate one before it happens, with highly aware defenders doing a much better job at staying with their runners.
  • 2-Man Marking To Prevent Counter Attacks- Ability for two high attribute defenders to mark a striker so they have limited space to avoid a counter attack.
    • Requires 2 AI Teammate players, each with very high Defensive Awareness attributes.
  • Defensive Midfielder Diligent Tracking - The ability to intelligently mark and track runs by attackers without giving up or leaving them open. They will track dangerous attacking opponents even if they are already marked by a teammate, due to the scale of the threat.
  • Defensive Midfielder Cutting Passing Lanes - Awareness to position themselves better in order to cut off passing lanes and limit the opponent’s options.
This means that an attribute of 85 might feel good and have a pronounced effect, but 90 is significantly better, and 99 is exponentially superior.

For Example.

Henderson - 84

Keita - 64

Wijnaldum - 81

Pascal - 56

Bissouma - 70

Allana - 61

So what you are saying is a simple live update could solve the defence issue by increasing stats

For Example.

Henderson - 84

Keita - 64

Wijnaldum - 81

Pascal - 56

Bissouma - 70

Allana - 61

Absolutely no idea how it works in practice in fut once you get the best players with fut boosts. It's certainly a perfect "pay to win" setup. Offline it obviously makes no sense. It should have been an option or a slider that you can crank up to 100 and play the game like it's a freaking team sport.

In any case no one at EA cares for offline. No one has touched sliders since fifa 13 when they added first touch error. That was EIGHT years ago. If you want defending and fouls you're better off playing Football Champ on the arcades or something.

In general, i want to share some thoughts about recent fifa games.
FIFA 21, is crafted to be a "show-off" festival. Its street soccer at its core.
Controlling players like messi, salah, mane etc, feel SOO GOOD.
Its fast, fluid, and you can do whatever you want, the animation library is massive.

FIFA will never be realistic. Its frantic.
Thats its nature.

The effort to smother this nature of FIFA leads to more problems.
Tweaking sliders, or even playing with bad teams just to have "more realistic gameplay" makes players look sluggish puppets forced to slide and perform unnatural slower animations with forced slower reaction speed and slower response to controls.

Quitting the dream of a super realistic TV like soccer game and accepting the goal/trick/speed festival FIFA is, will let you enjoy this game.

To be fair im back in between this and PES 21 - this does a lot right but the AI defending/standing still just pisses me off. I can manage to defend most of the time but its inevitable i will do one switch wrong and then there's a gaping hole in defense. Then there is the clear lack of fouls for three reasons - 1. The AI stands off too much 2. When they do engage and attempt a foul your player auto jumps over the tackle which makes me fume and 3. When there is a clear foul/block 90% of the time the ref ignores it.

That said there are some good duels which when i go back to PES i miss as there's too much space and i also miss some of the nice animations which add the FIFAs variety.

Im currently trying so wild sliders with competitive mode on legendary - 100 pass error 100 shot error and 100 first touch for the AI all to try and make it play more human without the stupid step overs - undecided at the moment
I deleted my post but you've managed to quote it somehow - I removed it because there's enough negativity about FIFA these days, you don't need me adding to that especially if you're enjoying it.

In saying that - FIFA 21 is apparently the same easy, turgid old shit in Career Mode according to a lot of people, even on PS5. I'm glad I've passed on the game this year.

hi guys. i have been playing fifa 21 for the last month or so. i play career mode, and notice by the first 3 minutes in the game that im going to lose. no matter how many chances i have i cant score in some games. sorry if you have already mentioned this. but does anyone else face this problem? its not all games but only some. like a script. thanks

Even the UT community are complaining about defense artificial intelligence :THINK:

Only this one guy. Stallion has been making posts and videos like this on Twitter for years. I don't see many others doing it.

Even then, look at one of the first, and highest-rated, responses to his last video on Twitter:

"Get good kid"........ The view of FUT players everywhere.

There's no hope with FIFA. Don't let yourself think there is.

I've spent my lockdown Christmas replaying all the old PES/FIFAs again and just mourning the state of football games today. There is nothing left of intelligent positional play, tactics etc... And Stallion explains it here, with all the anger I have.

Only this one guy. Stallion has been making posts and videos like this on Twitter for years. I don't see many others doing it.

Even then, look at one of the first, and highest-rated, responses to his last video on Twitter:

I've spent my lockdown Christmas replaying all the old PES/FIFAs again and just mourning the state of football games today. There is nothing left of intelligent positional play, tactics etc... And Stallion explains it here, with all the anger I have.

It's probably the most popular sentiment between FUT lovers anyway, however if you follow the conversation that specific "get good" comment was ironic :D

He's the EA Game Changer. EA clearly killed the AI to try to give more "control" and destroyed the attack and defense.

In this interview, EA was making their gameplay vision clear. "More control and less AI interference"

We felt like we wanted to get the one-on-ones balanced and back into the game again. Redoing and improving the strafe dribble feature really has that competitive edge in, like you said, these one-on-one situations, and it was a vision we had at the start of the year to give fans these scenarios again to really get people at the edge of their seats when they arise.

This decision really came from community feedback. FIFA 19 created feedback where the game’s pace was too frantic — and the pace was really fast. In the videos I showed early, you could see the AI constantly changing their mind and being indecisive, and this added to the frantic and feverish pace. We also had the topic from the community feedback that AI was possibly overpowered and helped the player almost too much both defensively as well as on offense. This core information that we received allowed us to make it a priority for FIFA 20, in tandem with our vision for the game to allow our game to play more realistically to real football. The way that players move and look on the pitch, as well as creating more space and time on the ball to allow a player to analyze and make better decisions based on the situation, was also key.

Link: https://www.operationsports.com/fif...ducer-and-jeff-antwi-volta-lead-producer/amp/

Last edited:
Tried another game on ps5 last night , professional level default sliders . Within 30 seconds the AI did two consecutive bicycle kick passes in midfield which were perfect then passed around my zombie defence who were busy admiring the clouds . Insane

Tried another game on ps5 last night , professional level default sliders . Within 30 seconds the AI did two consecutive bicycle kick passes in midfield which were perfect then passed around my zombie defence who were busy admiring the clouds . Insane
I haven't seen a single bicycle kick in the whole game yet. Sure you didn't play PES?

I haven't seen a single bicycle kick in the whole game yet. Sure you didn't play PES?
no it was definitely fifa 21 , to be fair i have never seen a bicycle kick pass so two in the space of 5 seconds was a first but it happened (man utd opponent) The defense issue is by design and that definitely doesnt happed in PES (nor have i ever seen a bicycle kick pass in PES 21)

When the PS5 update came out, I started a career on world class, semi controls and with the OS sliders. On the PS4 I couldn‘t find the motivation for it and played just a couple of friendlys.

The first couple of games I really had some fun, I even could overlook the terrible defense. I play a career with Fortuna Düsseldorf and as they are my „real life team“, I simply considered my players sleeping and standing around like pylons as a perfectly represented team ID…. :YES:

But as soon as EA’s kind of teamspirit kicked in (stat boosts through training, interviews and so on), it became ridiculous easy and there was no challenge anymore. I’m 28 games in now, leading the table with 7 points clear and one of my striker shot 43 goals so far. Another one I bought in the winter transfer window from the Dritte Liga (3rd league), shot already 25. It is absolutely pointless for me to play on. We’re in 2021 and the representation oft he world’s biggest sport in video games is an absolute disgrace.

When the PS5 update came out, I started a career on world class, semi controls and with the OS sliders. On the PS4 I couldn‘t find the motivation for it and played just a couple of friendlys.

The first couple of games I really had some fun, I even could overlook the terrible defense. I play a career with Fortuna Düsseldorf and as they are my „real life team“, I simply considered my players sleeping and standing around like pylons as a perfectly represented team ID…. :YES:

But as soon as EA’s kind of teamspirit kicked in (stat boosts through training, interviews and so on), it became ridiculous easy and there was no challenge anymore. I’m 28 games in now, leading the table with 7 points clear and one of my striker shot 43 goals so far. Another one I bought in the winter transfer window from the Dritte Liga (3rd league), shot already 25. It is absolutely pointless for me to play on. We’re in 2021 and the representation oft he world’s biggest sport in video games is an absolute disgrace.
Did you consider upping the difficulty to legendary?

The biggest issue with FIFA 21 is the midfielders don't track back at all. It's too easy to pass, wait for a run, and pass forward again. The midfielders have a forec-field of sorts that makes them stop dead in their tracks. I've tweeted this a bit as well:

No amount of sliders can overcome this issue. All we could do was get some semblance of pressure in the right areas, that still allowed team identity to play a role. Whether you play world class, legendary or ultimate - it doesn't matter. This is EA's game design to respond, and aid, the FUT/PRO players that hated "AI Defending". The issue is that EA took that literally, as they always do, and applied across both online and offline game modes. So teammate AI and opponent CPU have no capability to "AI" defend in the midfield.

I'm personally back to playing FIFA 19, before the AI Defending was even an issue to the misguided FUT/PRO users. It's 100% better, and gameplay is perfect. It's not next-gen by any means, but it's got all the challenge I've been looking for.

Sounds like it's time for EA to separate the gameplay into at least 2 distinct types, FUT/online and offline/single player sim. I've not touched their product for about 3 years and won't even contemplate going back to it until they take the offline single player game seriously.
I hope so. Although i will miss those #FixAutoBlocks spam requests!!! :)

Jokes aside and while i am the last person that can judge FIFA, i was watching the other day, some 2min~3min gameplay videos of FuT 21 lately and the plot of the video was: Player A attacking in penalty area, trying for 1min to lift the ball in the air, with some crazy shaolin flicks in order to dribble past the defenders with some juggler staff, player B intercepts and counter attacks reaching the other penalty box with 3 one-touch passes and once he enter inside penalty box, he starts making similar tricks for an other 1min, in order to do a flick or rainbow flick and lift the ball in the air for the same shaolin acrobatics.

My first subconsious question to myself was, "is this supossed to be football?". My second consious question was "how can someone shout #FixAutoBlocks all day long, cause he finds AI defending unrealistic but is not been concerned when he spends most of his attacking time, trying to do some Seal Dribbling"..

Rhetoric questions, i just gave up on watching FuT videos! :D

I hope so. Although i will miss those #FixAutoBlocks spam requests!!! :)

Jokes aside and while i am the last person that can judge FIFA, i was watching the other day, some 2min~3min gameplay videos of FuT 21 lately and the plot of the video was: Player A attacking in penalty area, trying for 1min to lift the ball in the air, with some crazy shaolin flicks in order to dribble past the defenders with some juggler staff, player B intercepts and counter attacks reaching the other penalty box with 3 one-touch passes and once he enter inside penalty box, he starts making similar tricks for an other 1min, in order to do a flick or rainbow flick and lift the ball in the air for the same shaolin acrobatics.

My first subconsious question to myself was, "is this supossed to be football?". My second consious question was "how can someone shout #FixAutoBlocks all day long, cause he finds AI defending unrealistic but is not been concerned when he spends most of his attacking time, trying to do some Seal Dribbling"..

Rhetoric questions, i just gave up on watching FuT videos! :D

Sounds like they have developed the perfect gameplay for a basketball game.

My first subconsious question to myself was, "is this supossed to be football?". My second consious question was "how can someone shout #FixAutoBlocks all day long, cause he finds AI defending unrealistic but is not been concerned when he spends most of his attacking time, trying to do some Seal Dribbling
As much football as Rocket league I guess.
To bad EA only listens to it's FUT YouTubers or their so called "Game changers" (read influencers)
If they had any other vision than making 100s of millions from their cash cow/pyramide scam we'd have a proper football game years ago

Back
Top Bottom