FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

I hope you're right and I'm wrong,mainly seeing other games being better and better,not football games,but NHL, NBA racing games etc.
They have taken it to the next level on this gen.
Maybe developers focus on other thing than ai now,rather more interested in content and feeding the fast rewards the brain gets,just like it's on social media etc.
Like I said,hope your right and I'm wrong

I feel ya. When I play non-football games, I never wish for next gen. Playing PES and FIFA, most of the time I'm like this just isn't good enough. And you're right, it's hopeful thinking above anything else, though I do think there's been clear indications that the last three or so FIFA's have been limited in what they can upgrade, especially graphics.

They all can do more "realistic" ai in video games easly. But 99.9999% of players will die every 30 seconds in shooter games or rpg and never get a win on sport games.

We live in a world where computer can beat 100% of players at chess since 90's and they start beating 100% players at the most complicated games ever, starcraft II.

Trust me, you don't want that in your video games

@mfmaxpower - I have the same dream as you, in terms of next-gen saving us. But if they had ALL THE POWER IN THE WORLD for AI - would either dev want to make it as realistic as possible? Or would they keep focusing on making an AI that makes you feel your input was vital, that the skill gap is balanced and that makes you play more / spend more online?

Single player guys don't contribute enough money to their coffers for them to make a separate AI for us. That's a huge job and an entirely new game's worth of work. I think that's our true hope - that they split some modes into separate games.

But I doubt they think they'd sell. And they probably wouldn't. So. It's not a bright future.

I don't disagree. It's not like I"m thinking that when the FIFA devs work with the next gen hardware, they're going to be like "oh wow now finally we can invest in the AI and make it awesome."

It's more that I think there's some low hanging fruit for improvements that will help both games. For example, I don't think it's a coincidence that both games really struggle with loose ball situations, player awareness can be too slow, and both games struggle to recognize abrupt transitions in play. It's pure speculation but I could see better hardware helping here.

I'm not expecting huge advancements in CPU attacking play, b/c like you said that's kinda an afterthought considering it's only for single player, but there's some AI issues that really hurt the h2h experience too. Like backline AI in FIFA is still really bad at times, allowing for unearned chances (thus decreasing the skill gap). It's amazing to me they haven't shored this up - because it ruins the competitive gaming experience when you get a goal purely from an AI fail - and I'm just hoping that better hardware will if anything at least make it easier to upgrade the AI.

But I don't know what I'm talking about. Just a dude who's not especially impressed with these football games, hoping for a better next gen. The previous generation had some huge gameplay additions. I'm just hoping we see the same next gen, and we can forget about this one.

I feel ya. When I play non-football games, I never wish for next gen. Playing PES and FIFA, most of the time I'm like this just isn't good enough. And you're right, it's hopeful thinking above anything else, though I do think there's been clear indications that the last three or so FIFA's have been limited in what they can upgrade, especially graphics.
Graphically were in a good place I think.
Just the strange motions and very poor and one dimensional thinking/acting from the ai,they've taken steps to make it better,but we're so far from what we thought it would be when playing PS2/PS3 /Xbox 360.

I'm foremost a Pes player,or use to be ,so I haven't been onboard the FIFA games pre 14.
I see a lot of good in fifa 15 (stiff but really solid game)
Just comparing how different the Ai played on FIFA 17 and even 18 Vs 19 makes me really depressed,though I think on the ball,attacking/defending/shooting/passing FIFA 19 is great,but as soon as the CPU has it,it's very poor (attacking and motions)
Same goes for Pes,always felt good on the ball.

I think they,instead of making AI smarter and tougher,they just take some shortcuts,in scripting or other ways.
Really disappointed and worried in which way the games we love are heading towards?

They all can do more "realistic" ai in video games easly. But 99.9999% of players will die every 30 seconds in shooter games or rpg and never get a win on sport games.

We live in a world where computer can beat 100% of players at chess since 90's and they start beating 100% players at the most complicated games ever, starcraft II.

Trust me, you don't want that in your video games

It's apples to oranges. The perfect AI in FIFA wouldn't be one that's unbeatable, like what they try to achieve with the chess.

The ideal AI in FIFA would be that you couldn't tell the difference between playing a human and the AI. There'd be plenty of realistic error - both football error and user/CPU error.

And we've already seen this happening. Older FIFAs used to be WAY harder, but the CPU would play perfectly, with 90+% pass accuracy every game, etc. They've made it more human but at the same time it's way easier. Upgrade the AI to be smarter while keeping in levels of error based on the difficulty level, and we're good.

Ye sorry, I don't speak proper english so I'm not very clear about what I want to say.

It's easy to do a "proper ai". It's a fact, it is really easy. But a proper ai is far far far stronger than an average or a good human.

You have no idea how complicated it is to make the ai realistic and human friendly at the same time...
almost impossible because you have to tune down and make scripts to make the ai weaker. Isn't it too weird ?

I spoke about chess ai because I've worked and saw really skilled people and awesome mathematicians working on making ai more human like for years (at chess)

Above i quoted myself.
As you can see i report in which areas FIFA does better job.
All these do still stand for FIFA 20. But it is time to do PES 2020 some justice.

PES may have less points in favor, but they have major significance.

1. Feel of player weight: Running, dribbling, skill moves, setting the body for pass or shoot. Everything is much more life-like compared to FIFA and the feel when you control a player is just right. In FIFA players look weigthless with no inertia/momentum on their movement.

2. Times in animations and overall animation quality: Some are judging it being "not responsive". But the truth is that, like in real soccer, some things do take some time to be executed. For example a pass, if the ball is 1-2 m away, player should first take a step to set his body and then kick the ball. In FIFA all these "mid-animations" are compressed and very fast-forwarded, in order to be more responsive. In replay mode, if you watch closely FIFA animations, you will notice limbs (legs) to move unnaturally fast, not in accordance with the whole body. PES is more coherent and natural.
Fifa has more animations, PES has better.

3. Game speed: Fifa feels frenetic, whereas pes is more grounded and slower. I do not use the term "tactical" because i don't know which is more tactical.

4. Graphics: PES 2020 graphics are a step upwards compared to PES 2019, and beat FIFA 20 in terms of photorealism, texture clarity, stadium variance (in terms of lighting), and turfs.

5. Ball size and physics: PES 2020 (the final release) has very nice ball physics, much improved compared to PES 2019. The ball has more freedom, is a separate entity from players, and the new control system is where all these shine. FIFA 20 also has improved ball, but physics are inconsistent and strange to player animations. I noticed quite a lot of times player model to execute an animation for a very strong pass, and the ball travels like a bowling ball few meters away. Regarding ball size, since FIFA 17, EA has an unexplainable problem replicating the true size of a soccer ball. PES is spot on.

So, only 5 points for PES 2020, but they are the most important: Ball physics, game speed, animations and player feel are the core of a soccer game.
Smashed it!

This year i think PES will see alot of returning fans. Finally got my best mate to download the PES demo last night (he was a Pro Evo nut when we were kids who has bought Fifa the past 10 years like alot of Pro Evo fans) Got a Whatsapp from him this morning saying the Pro Evo demo was actually really good but he didnt like the menu's. I have never heard him say anything about menu's in gaming ever! :LOL:

I've been firmly in the PES camp since forever (watch my "Realism Review" series on youtube), but I have to say, I'm extremely surprised by how good FIFA 20 demo is. The TV presentation, the replays, the angles, the brilliant audio and I love the commentary.... the gameplay? Nowhere as horrible as it used to be. It's not bad. The Menus are just so seemless. I'm sad for PES. Here's a nice goal I scored in FIFA 20 demo (unlisted video so my followers don't get mad):

I've been firmly in the PES camp since forever (watch my "Realism Review" series on youtube), but I have to say, I'm extremely surprised by how good FIFA 20 demo is. The TV presentation, the replays, the angles, the brilliant audio and I love the commentary.... the gameplay? Nowhere as horrible as it used to be. It's not bad. The Menus are just so seemless. I'm sad for PES. Here's a nice goal I scored in FIFA 20 demo (unlisted video so my followers don't get mad):

I spent the last 2 days trying to play FIFA20 demo using all the movements in a serious realistic approach rather than just messing around with the huge amount of skills and animations, surprisingly the feeling was very positive, to clear any doubt I played fifa19 demo just after playing fifa20 demo thinking maybe I just didn't give fifa19 enough chance last year but no! EA really worked their ass off gameplay wise with fifa20 to the point that I noticed and felt some Pes key elements for a more realistic flow like the pace of the game and ball physics (still not better than pes but if you add other fifa elements to it the result is narrowly close), the more I play the more I'm learning how fifa dev team is trying to find the balance between realism and fun, there is more freedom in FIFA20 but it balance itself out to not become arcade when the opposition defends well wether is legendary difficulty when playing against AI or a mate that knows how to defend, in this aspect (defence) fifa20 is far more realistic than the auto defensive system in PES20. I hope that EA won't change the gameplay when launching the full game because I'm sure many FIFA fanboys will bombard them with negative feedbacks.

When I have more time I will share with you what I've learned, some really cool control, dribbling and commands technics.

I've now played just about equal of the FIFA demo and the retail release of PES, and unless the retail version of FIFA is much improved, at this point I could for the first time since FIFA 08 see myself playing PES this year. While PES is far from perfect, it's just way better at executing its gameplay than FIFA. (Again, I could totally change this opinion when FIFA releases.)

Both games have their good and bad, but if I were to end up choosing FIFA, it's likely because of three main reasons: control, error, and variety.

A huge advantage that FIFA has over PES for me is that so much control (and thus freedom) is given to the player, and I think this is at the core for why FIFA can feel like a more satisfying gaming experience, especially with scoring but also with passing. FIFA just puts more options in your own hands, while with PES it's highly assisted.

Examples of this include how in FIFA we control whether to shield or not, or whether to switch into a jockey stance, and FIFA offers more shooting options. The best example though is all the different pass types you have at your disposal in FIFA. Just look at the new dink pass options they added this year, which last year were purely assisted and contextual (as they are in PES). It's actually one of the few things I really enjoyed in the FIFA demo - succeeding at a dink pass or through ball feels great. Say what you will about it's execution in FIFA, but giving more agency to players over how they play the game is a huge deal in this age of gaming, and it leads to a more satisfying and rewarding experience.

Another big piece of this are the actual control schemes in each game. For me, I never struggle to perform an action in FIFA because of the controls, while PES in my opinion has one of the worst control schemes in gaming. It's incredibly frustrating in PES, especially considering how much more difficult attacking play is than in FIFA.

Error is a big one for me, and might be what prevents me from sticking with PES. As as been said many times, there's just not enough error in PES. But there's two other bits to this that are really important. One is that, while there certainly is error on shots and passes, there's very little error when it comes to the CPU decision making - unlike us, they almost always pick the right pass, the right touch, the right skill move, etc. Even more frustrating for me is there's very little error in CPU marking and tackling. @chrisdavies posted a video about FIFA's AI being psychic but IMO it's actually way worse in PES - they can feel magnetized to you and the ball, regardless of skill moves or feints or momentum. It makes it feel like I'm playing against robots.

The other bit when it comes to error is that PES is really bad at capitalizing on error. For example, there's plenty of times I'll get myself in the right spot for an interception or I'll create a 50-50 situation, but either my players don't recognize the opportunity quick enough, I'm locked into a movement pattern that screws me, or maybe the ball just bounces off of me.

Last is just the amount of variety in FIFA, and the feeling that anything can happen. IMO this is very much connected to the first two. Error is obvious - the more error and bad decision making, the more midfield battles, the more goal mouth scrambles, the more chaotic 50-50 situations. Now I very much believe that FIFA's variety is a double-edged sword, but still, I can't escape the feeling in most PES matches that I'm playing a straight-jacketed version of football, that any variety or sense of randomness is an illusion by the invisible puppeteer hands of the game deciding what can and cannot happen. PES is the actor that never breaks character but is limited with what roles it can play.

Last year at this time I thought PES might be the game for me, but then I hit a wall - especially with the AI - and ended up playing FIFA. That could happen again. At the moment I'm really enjoying the football in PES, but I'm at the point now where I need to move up a difficulty level and so maybe my experience and opinion will change. (Also, I still can't shake the utter disappointment with PES in pretty much everything non-gameplay related.)

I'm still holding out hope that FIFA 20 is ultimately much better than the demo would suggest, but at this time early impressions are that there's no competition in gameplay quality. The trick for me would be whether the three above factors don't drive me back to FIFA.

I've now played just about equal of the FIFA demo and the retail release of PES, and unless the retail version of FIFA is much improved, at this point I could for the first time since FIFA 08 see myself playing PES this year. While PES is far from perfect, it's just way better at executing its gameplay than FIFA. (Again, I could totally change this opinion when FIFA releases.)

Both games have their good and bad, but if I were to end up choosing FIFA, it's likely because of three main reasons: control, error, and variety.

A huge advantage that FIFA has over PES for me is that so much control (and thus freedom) is given to the player, and I think this is at the core for why FIFA can feel like a more satisfying gaming experience, especially with scoring but also with passing. FIFA just puts more options in your own hands, while with PES it's highly assisted.

Examples of this include how in FIFA we control whether to shield or not, or whether to switch into a jockey stance, and FIFA offers more shooting options. The best example though is all the different pass types you have at your disposal in FIFA. Just look at the new dink pass options they added this year, which last year were purely assisted and contextual (as they are in PES). It's actually one of the few things I really enjoyed in the FIFA demo - succeeding at a dink pass or through ball feels great. Say what you will about it's execution in FIFA, but giving more agency to players over how they play the game is a huge deal in this age of gaming, and it leads to a more satisfying and rewarding experience.

Another big piece of this are the actual control schemes in each game. For me, I never struggle to perform an action in FIFA because of the controls, while PES in my opinion has one of the worst control schemes in gaming. It's incredibly frustrating in PES, especially considering how much more difficult attacking play is than in FIFA.

Error is a big one for me, and might be what prevents me from sticking with PES. As as been said many times, there's just not enough error in PES. But there's two other bits to this that are really important. One is that, while there certainly is error on shots and passes, there's very little error when it comes to the CPU decision making - unlike us, they almost always pick the right pass, the right touch, the right skill move, etc. Even more frustrating for me is there's very little error in CPU marking and tackling. @chrisdavies posted a video about FIFA's AI being psychic but IMO it's actually way worse in PES - they can feel magnetized to you and the ball, regardless of skill moves or feints or momentum. It makes it feel like I'm playing against robots.

The other bit when it comes to error is that PES is really bad at capitalizing on error. For example, there's plenty of times I'll get myself in the right spot for an interception or I'll create a 50-50 situation, but either my players don't recognize the opportunity quick enough, I'm locked into a movement pattern that screws me, or maybe the ball just bounces off of me.

Last is just the amount of variety in FIFA, and the feeling that anything can happen. IMO this is very much connected to the first two. Error is obvious - the more error and bad decision making, the more midfield battles, the more goal mouth scrambles, the more chaotic 50-50 situations. Now I very much believe that FIFA's variety is a double-edged sword, but still, I can't escape the feeling in most PES matches that I'm playing a straight-jacketed version of football, that any variety or sense of randomness is an illusion by the invisible puppeteer hands of the game deciding what can and cannot happen. PES is the actor that never breaks character but is limited with what roles it can play.

Last year at this time I thought PES might be the game for me, but then I hit a wall - especially with the AI - and ended up playing FIFA. That could happen again. At the moment I'm really enjoying the football in PES, but I'm at the point now where I need to move up a difficulty level and so maybe my experience and opinion will change. (Also, I still can't shake the utter disappointment with PES in pretty much everything non-gameplay related.)

I'm still holding out hope that FIFA 20 is ultimately much better than the demo would suggest, but at this time early impressions are that there's no competition in gameplay quality. The trick for me would be whether the three above factors don't drive me back to FIFA.

At this point so far, without taking under consideration any modding or companies budgets in development of the game, the marks out of 10 of different aspects of pes20 Vs fifa20.

-Presentation:
Fifa 10/10 Pes 6/10

-stadiums details:
Fifa 9/10. Pes 10/10

-stadiums atmosphere:
Fifa 10/10. Pes 7/10

-players likeness (not only faces) id:
Fifa 8/10. Pes 9/10

-variety:
Fifa 10/10. Pes 8/10

-defence system:
Fifa 9/10 Pes 6/10 (automated & assisted)

-attack system:
Fifa 9/10. Pes 9/10

-freedom:
Fifa 10/10. Pes 8/10

-ball physics:
Fifa 8/10. Pes 9,5/10

-long passing:
Fifa 8/10. Pes 9,5/10

-short passing excluding variety:
Fifa 8,5/10. Pes 10/10

-short passing including variety:
Fifa 9,5/10 Pes 9/10

-shooting system:
Fifa 9/10. Pes 9/10

-shooting variety:
Fifa 9,5/10. Pes 7/10

-Pace of the game:
Fifa 9/10. Pes 9,5/10
One of the aspects that I liked the most about fifa20, huge improvement from EA this year.

Personally I think fifa revolutionarly improved its core game this year in comparison with last year edition, meanwhile PES new additions are not enough to be considered revolutionary in my opinion, I can happily keep playing modded pes2019 after playing pes20 for example.

It seems like we are crossing opinions, I'm leaning towards fifa for the first time since fifa16 while you lean towards pes20, I think it's because you didn't play pes2019 the whole year.

First game of fifa I thought wow this is different.. 2nd and 3rd the fundementals flaws started to scream at me why I hated 17,18 and 19. Players running around like headless chickens, god awful ball physics. Pes on the pitch this year is far ahead of fifa and FIFA's not been patched yet

In the video above my eyes were fixated on the ball size. I thought fifa went for a smaller ball this year (many people have mentioned it), but it looks identical with the pes ball? Is it a bit smaller in pes as well or is it the proper size in both and I need to get my eyes checked?!

upload_2019-9-13_9-26-36.png

Last edited:

Fifa players look like they're floating

Freedom of movements in fifa20 come at cost "floating", fifa use more animations which in normal speed and without using magnifying glass looks more fluid (not saying that it looks realistic) than Pes20 where the lack of animations makes the move look robotic at times.

Fifa20 is like an open world game, GTA as an example where u have all the tools to either stick to the story and stop messing around or go crazy in the city without fallowing the narratives, while PES20 is more like a role-play game in which you are stuck to the story.

fifa20 can look more realistic or not depends on the opposition, if you play against the AI in legendary difficulty or against an opponent that defends well you will not be able to perform skill moves nor ping-pong the passes at ease which force you to use the skill when needed and for a purpose, also it forces you to build your attacks. But when you play FIFA20 against a weaker opponent or lower AI difficulty you automatically have more space and more time to think which give you more options to perform skills and play like Street football, an example to that is Neymar, watch him playing against Toulouse (no disrespect to the team of Toulouse) and than against Juve or Atlético Madrid for example and you will see that he won't be trying fancy moves and tricks as much as against weaker teams.

Last edited:
One thing I'll say for Fifa is that it is just soooooooo much better than PES at controlling players in tight spaces.

Fifa:
* Want to drag the ball backwards? Hold L1
* Want to roll the ball from side to side? Hold the right stick
* Want to do a pass in a direction you aren't facing without falling on your face? Attempt a fancy pass with L2 & X
* Want to hold off the attacker? Hold L2.
* Want to back into defenders and move towards the opponents' goal? Hold L2 and move into the defender.

So long as you use all the tools available to you then Fifa is a joy to control in tight situations.

PES is clunky and archaic by comparison:
* The finesse dribble is horribly inconsistent, I simply cannot work out when the player is going to drag the ball back, or when he's going to turn around. It means you cannot rely on it to do what you want, when you want to do it. I find it more infuriating than anything else because there are no definitive rules to how it works.
* Holding off the players is contextual, which certainly is a bonus in some situations, but when specifically in a tight situation you have to awkwardly reposition yourself by moving the ball. In Fifa you can do it without your player ever touching the ball. It's brilliant.
* Backing into players is also IMPOSSIBLE in PES. Yes, you can hold them off, but you cannot push them backwards while the ball is at your feet.

Of course, there are plenty of instances where PES is king, but in this specific case I'd challenge anyone to give a definitive argument as to how PES is better. Some people find foot planting and ball physics to be the most important thing to them, so I have to hold my hand up to their view as they can see things that go right over my head.

This though, this is my bread and butter. I love this stuff.

well , more i play pes20 , more i have ,,on rails '' feeling. Every single match you will find ,,loose'' balls but you can predict in 99% that you will not get it , i hope you know what i mean. I still like pes20 and slow gameplay, build up that fifa lack but i think there is lack of randomness .
Last year i loved pes 19 at first but after week i started to see how things are - terrible AI , lack of randomness , attributes doesnt matter at all etc. Last year i remember hype for pes 19 -,, omg , best pes ever'' ,, king is back '' but after one or two months most of people started to see real ugly face.

I don't want to judge now what is better. Last year i didn't have much love to fifa 19 demo but i spent with this game around 6 or 7 months what is very difficult these days ;)

i have the same feeling as you mate, the main reason i am leaning towards fifa 20 is the variety in everything and more freedom on the ball and for you as a player, i think i will be getting fifa 20 , i like the new physics, now the ball wobbles when it travels, and the passing feels more like pes, or a bit closer to say the least

well , more i play pes20 , more i have ,,on rails '' feeling. Every single match you will find ,,loose'' balls but you can predict in 99% that you will not get it , i hope you know what i mean. I still like pes20 and slow gameplay, build up that fifa lack but i think there is lack of randomness .
Last year i loved pes 19 at first but after week i started to see how things are - terrible AI , lack of randomness , attributes doesnt matter at all etc. Last year i remember hype for pes 19 -,, omg , best pes ever'' ,, king is back '' but after one or two months most of people started to see real ugly face.

I don't want to judge now what is better. Last year i didn't have much love to fifa 19 demo but i spent with this game around 6 or 7 months what is very difficult these days ;)
same thoughts aswell mate, agree

My question used to be : PES digital or disc? which format?

At this very moment its FiFA or PES? (have settled on XB1 digital).

I had Fifa 19 but got sucked in by stupid FUT squad builder and had to give it up. Now that I know FUTs additive mechanics I'm more prepared to avoid them an stick with offline.

Its a shame one cannot hide or resize some of the FUT-related tiles/dashboard.

I'll give FIFA demo another try tomorrow.

Anyone dived into the tactics on the Fifa demo?

Wow, puts Konami to absolute shame.
its the same as fifa19 isn't it?
They are the same as 19.

This is something I think FIFA nails though. Because they all work, and do change games (which is why I'll never forgive them for not showing us the AI's potential line-up pre-match, so we can set our teams up properly).

Unfortunately, this is combined with some really stupid tactical defaults (some already mentioned in this thread, i.e. the central midfielders being set to guard the wings).

But changing things makes a big difference and allows you to get more support in different areas of the pitch, and encourage players to roam (or not) to make the best of their abilities.

This isn't the comparison thread, but, got to say, none of the standard tactical instructions in the other game (such as changing the distance between players) actually do anything, for me. Matches feel much more varied in FIFA, the AI actually attacks in different ways depending on their set-up.

If I end up getting FIFA this year, which all depends on how the EA Access version feels (it starts on Wednesday I think), it'll be because of the tactics, the freedom of dribbling and the shot variety - but there are so many problems in the demo that I really can't see myself buying it this year.

It just feels horrible on the ball, and the AI is so easy to beat it's unbelievable. Which ruins all the good stuff. Even though there's lots of good stuff. I'll miss the Career Mode stuff.

EA issue or challenge this year will be dealing with feedbacks and trying to please the masses (kids) without changing core gameplay of the fifa20 demo, in my opinion volta is key to achieve this goal.

Volta = fanboys of arcade.
11 a side = simulation fans.
Hope EA sees it that way too.

I have the feeling that EA have been keeping an eye on negative feedbacks from pes fans, slow pace, ball physics, edit mode, tactics.. these are things average fifa fans don't think about, they want more skills and tricks instead.

EA slowly managing to copy the good staff from PES, two things that can be great additions to fifa from pes is goalkeeper faking hand pass or foot long pass and super cancel which allows cancelling passes and shoots (players perform half shoot/pass animation when super cancel is used before player foot touch the ball)

It just feels horrible on the ball, and the AI is so easy to beat it's unbelievable. Which ruins all the good stuff. Even though there's lots of good stuff. I'll miss the Career Mode stuff.
I swear we are polar opposites in all our views :D

I think Fifa 20 feels great on the ball personally. You have so many more options in how you can manipulate the ball compared to PES - rolling the ball, knock ons, disguised first touches, fancy passes, just to name a couple of things off the top of my head you can’t do on PES, and these and totally viable options in game, easy to execute and effective. The controls are so much more intuitive, I’m not expected to use both sticks and R2 at the same time to do something as simple as a step over. FIFA’s implementation of the right stick is a million miles better.

And that’s just with the ball at your feet. Even when it comes to the passing you have more options in what kind of pass you you want to do as Fifa has a basic, lofted and driven version of all their passes (a driven long through-ball looks quality). I think the feel of passing in PES is better without doubt, but Fifa gives me more WAYS to pass the ball.

The game is hardly all rose petals and happiness though. I think timed shooting is still stupid, I hate the new free kick system, I’ve seen blatant goal kicks given as corners and legendary AI take a short corner, but the player being passed to was off the pitch so went straight out for a goal kick, so it appears that it might still be riddled with bugs. It’s also a bit of a ridiculous goal fest; I played a 20min game on legendary and it ended 9-5 to me. I don’t like any of that stuff.

I find PES more believable for sure, I find team goals infinitely more rewarding, and the basic art of pass and move football is unparalleled. Fifa on the other hand gives me far more tools to use, more ways of moving both the player and the ball. I can let my imagination go so much more playing Fifa and just try different things. Often while playing PES I think “I wish I could do x” and I never, ever feel that playing Fifa.

I too feel fifa is awful on the ball, not sure its it physics or what but it's just rubbish and if one thing needs to be right it's that. Passing on pes is a dream, fifa it feels like a nightmare. After the initial wow this is different after 5 games just felt the same as 19 with everything I hated still there

I swear we are polar opposites in all our views :D

I think Fifa 20 feels great on the ball personally. You have so many more options in how you can manipulate the ball compared to PES - rolling the ball, knock ons, disguised first touches, fancy passes, just to name a couple of things off the top of my head you can’t do on PES, and these and totally viable options in game, easy to execute and effective. The controls are so much more intuitive, I’m not expected to use both sticks and R2 at the same time to do something as simple as a step over. FIFA’s implementation of the right stick is a million miles better.

And that’s just with the ball at your feet. Even when it comes to the passing you have more options in what kind of pass you you want to do as Fifa has a basic, lofted and driven version of all their passes (a driven long through-ball looks quality). I think the feel of passing in PES is better without doubt, but Fifa gives me more WAYS to pass the ball.

The game is hardly all rose petals and happiness though. I think timed shooting is still stupid, I hate the new free kick system, I’ve seen blatant goal kicks given as corners and legendary AI take a short corner, but the player being passed to was off the pitch so went straight out for a goal kick, so it appears that it might still be riddled with bugs. It’s also a bit of a ridiculous goal fest; I played a 20min game on legendary and it ended 9-5 to me. I don’t like any of that stuff.

I find PES more believable for sure, I find team goals infinitely more rewarding, and the basic art of pass and move football is unparalleled. Fifa on the other hand gives me far more tools to use, more ways of moving both the player and the ball. I can let my imagination go so much more playing Fifa and just try different things. Often while playing PES I think “I wish I could do x” and I never, ever feel that playing Fifa.
That s what lets down pes to me,the assisted constrained feel, in fifa u feel you have more options,especially when it comes to creating chances inside the box , or near the penalty area,it just feels more free

Back
Top Bottom