FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

^^

I feel more or less the same way as Christopher here.
I gave up on PES almost two months ago.
Fired it up again yesterday, got the updates, new mods, etc. Thought "Hey I have to give it a second chance! Because I was loving it until not too long ago!". But as soon as I got into the first minutes of the first match, everything felt sluggish and limited. It's like a game stuck in time.
PES is the only game that, if you haven't played it it for the past 6 years and you go back to play it now, everything feels and looks more or less the same, whereas if you played the version from 2 years ago, it feels very different.

To put it in numbers: If you gave up on PES in PES 2014 and you suddenly decided to buy PES 2020 now to give it a shot, you'd think nothing changed or evolved in the past 6 years. Heavy game, with responsiveness issues, little-to-no dribbling possible unless you use a magical combination of 16 buttons to perform ONE successful skill move through out an entire match, like you were performing a Fatality in a Mortal Kombat game. Even graphics look very similar to be honest.

But, if the last PES you played is PES 2018, and suddenly you decided to give PES 2020 a chance, well... you'd probably feel a lot has changed. PES 2018 was a fast paced, very arcade-oriented, with a high success rate at dribbling moves with skilful players, a goal scoring fest at times. While PES 2020 is what I said above.

With FIFA, on the other hand (while still not my cup of tea) you can see the evolution (and the involution too).
You pick up FIFA 14, and then you pick up FIFA 20 and BAM. You see improvements pretty much in all areas. They'll blow up right in your face Sure, you might have your own personal preferences regarding gameplay. Like I do. I prefer FIFA 16 to FIFA 20 if we're talking strictly about gameplay. But still, you can see how many more animations have been added, the visual improvements are worlds apart, etc.

AND if you picked FIFA 18 and then 20, YOU WOULD STILL SEE A LOT OF IMPROVEMENTS. More evolution than involution, actually. In all areas, too.

So I feel like I fell for the same Konami trap. A-GAIN. It feels magical during the first two months and then it becomes annoying, repulsive (this is just my opinion, of course) and unplayable.

The one thing I still don't understand about EA are the T-REX player models and the Frankenstein movement of their limbs! I mean, have they ever seen the human anatomy?

That atrocity is present in all of their titles (NFL, NBA, NHL, etc.), although the NFL and NHL games get away with it because of the equipment covering the bodies. For such great technology for gameplay, atmosphere and stadiums, it all goes down the drain with cartoonish looking players. This has been going on for years now. This has been my personal turn–off from the franchise besides the general feeling of players floating/skating.

iu

I've said before it's probably the best PES but actually, I really don't think it is now - PES 2017's AI is from another planet compared to this, ten times more fun and it has fouls too. I've had enough of Konami's old-school PES attempts. We've got loads of them. It's time to make something new. 5/10.

Chris, what would be your rating of PES 2017 in that same context? That is, compared to PES 2020 and FIFA 20.

PES 17 was my go to game since its release up until PES 20. Not touched it since then, single player PES 20 is superb. Fifa 17 18 19 where horrible, just chaotic mess and sliders fix one thing and break 3 more. Fifa 20 demo was just as bad the weightless feeling is unbearable and like someone else said those power heads from the edge of the area are a joke.

PES 17 was my go to game since its release up until PES 20. Not touched it since then, single player PES 20 is superb. Fifa 17 18 19 where horrible, just chaotic mess and sliders fix one thing and break 3 more. Fifa 20 demo was just as bad the weightless feeling is unbearable and like someone else said those power heads from the edge of the area are a joke.

PES 20 definitely has divided the ranks, with ones hating the game whilst others saying it's the best at least since PES 13.
I just don't know, perhaps I haven't played it enough, but it just seems dull to me. Not saying I am as informed as others, that is just the underlying sentiment I have.

When you start to pay attention to how players off-the-ball move (opponents and team-mates) in PES, that's when you realize the Artificial Intelligence is ridiculous.
In one of my attempts at liking this game again yesterday (Juventus VS Inter), I had the ball over one of the sides with Douglas Costa, I stood still for a few seconds and started watching what the rest of the players were doing. Coming and going like headless chickens, without no purpose in life at all. Literally going forward. Stopping. Going back. Stopping. Moving forward again. Stopping. It was disgusting.

Thing is, when you are actually playing the game and focusing on your guy with the ball and, eventually some of your team-mate runs, you're so "into" it, trying to make the play develop that you stop paying attention at what about 15 other players on the pitch are doing. Which is basically simulating they're doing something.

But, in my opinion, the animations and transitions between animations of PES 2020 are incredible some times. PES probably has half the animations FIFA has, but they are better represented and they are put to good use, in the right way, with the right pace. So it kind of compensates the shallow or little depth the rest of the gameplay elements actually have. Again, when you focus on the guy WITH the ball, PES looks more natural (keyword: focus on and looks - because when you hold the controller in your hand, that's when it feels stiff and rigid).

But FIFA doesn't even seem to care about the fundamental laws of inertia, body weight and human movement. It just cares about being effective. FIFA cares about doing what you want it to do, without taking into account at all these other factors.

On Saturday, I had a mate over at my house. He plays FIFA (he used to be great at Winning Eleven back in the PS2 days, but started playing FIFA when PES went to shit in 2008). So we played like 10 games of FIFA 20 and had an amazing time. Before he went home, I told him "Hey wanna try PES 2020?" - He said "Alright..". We struggled at completing the ONE game we played. By the time the match was over, it felt like we had been playing PES for a thousand days. Players bumping into each other. Team-mates getting in your own way while running or in the way of your shot. Lack of variety with great players when running with the ball (it always feels like you either have to cut inside or keep running in a straight line). It was clear for both of us that FIFA takes the title again this year.

When you start to pay attention to how players off-the-ball move (opponents and team-mates) in PES, that's when you realize the Artificial Intelligence is ridiculous.
In one of my attempts at liking this game again yesterday (Juventus VS Inter), I had the ball over one of the sides with Douglas Costa, I stood still for a few seconds and started watching what the rest of the players were doing. Coming and going like headless chickens, without no purpose in life at all. Literally going forward. Stopping. Going back. Stopping. Moving forward again. Stopping. It was disgusting.

Thing is, when you are actually playing the game and focusing on your guy with the ball and, eventually some of your team-mate runs, you're so "into" it, trying to make the play develop that you stop paying attention at what about 15 other players on the pitch are doing. Which is basically simulating they're doing something.

But, in my opinion, the animations and transitions between animations of PES 2020 are incredible some times. PES probably has half the animations FIFA has, but they are better represented and they are put to good use, in the right way, with the right pace. So it kind of compensates the shallow or little depth the rest of the gameplay elements actually have. Again, when you focus on the guy WITH the ball, PES looks more natural (keyword: focus on and looks - because when you hold the controller in your hand, that's when it feels stiff and rigid).

But FIFA doesn't even seem to care about the fundamental laws of inertia, body weight and human movement. It just cares about being effective. FIFA cares about doing what you want it to do, without taking into account at all these other factors.

On Saturday, I had a mate over at my house. He plays FIFA (he used to be great at Winning Eleven back in the PS2 days, but started playing FIFA when PES went to shit in 2008). So we played like 10 games of FIFA 20 and had an amazing time. Before he went home, I told him "Hey wanna try PES 2020?" - He said "Alright..". We struggled at completing the ONE game we played. By the time the match was over, it felt like we had been playing PES for a thousand days. Players bumping into each other. Team-mates getting in your own way while running or in the way of your shot. Lack of variety with great players when running with the ball (it always feels like you either have to cut inside or keep running in a straight line). It was clear for both of us that FIFA takes the title again this year.
Perfect summary.
All I can add is that, in Fifa, after a full season or two - you can still see animations/moments/goals that you have never seen before.
In Pes it all looks beautiful, but its like watching the same clip over and over again. It doesnt have element of surprise.
Like in real life, where some of the goals come from an absolute mess in penalty area - Pes simply does not have that.
Its trying to imitate randomness - but its not really randomness. It all feels fake and scripted.

Perfect summary.
All I can add is that, in Fifa, after a full season or two - you can still see animations/moments/goals that you have never seen before.
In Pes it all looks beautiful, but its like watching the same clip over and over again. It doesnt have element of surprise.
Like in real life, where some of the goals come from an absolute mess in penalty area - Pes simply does not have that.
Its trying to imitate randomness - but its not really randomness. It all feels fake and scripted.

Thank you guys. Interesting and a little sad. Don't think I will dive that much into PES again and I will probably not buy FIFA 20 for such a short period.

The funny things is I remember myself saying those words earlier when taking fifa vs pes: "you can still see goals you haven't seen before". Oh those pes days... Those pes days..

Thank you guys. Interesting and a little sad. Don't think I will dive that much into PES again and I will probably not buy FIFA 20 for such a short period.

The funny things is I remember myself saying those words earlier when taking fifa vs pes: "you can still see goals you haven't seen before". Oh those pes days... Those pes days..
It's January and I've seen 2 goals I haven't seen before since release, playing full manual

In my opinion, PES has been in the toilet since 2007. Other than the way it feels (weight of the players and ball...) I think it is rubbish now. FIFA is leagues ahead of it in just about every way. FIFA could be so much more, though.

Chris, what would be your rating of PES 2017 in that same context? That is, compared to PES 2020 and FIFA 20.
The bits I enjoy of 2017 are plentiful - teammate AI isn't dumbed down, to the point where Superstar is too easy for me on PA1 (which is a problem) - but you don't (as) often feel cheated by something, and that "cheating" is something I've hated in PES for years. Dribbling is more of an option because the AI doesn't so obviously read your input. Defending is more of an art (because fouls happen more easily, and cards occasionally fly around). I didn't realise how much I've missed fouls, to be honest. Matches seem to have a little more variety too. It's rarely dull (a word someone used to describe 2020).

Scoring it out of 10 is difficult, because, I'm scoring it in 2020, having played other games and knowing what can be represented in a modern football game. PES 2017 has players that bump into each other and freeze (using identical animations, like they're dancing in perfect sync), while the ball rolls past them... Responsiveness issues mean sometimes, your player will do some really dumb shit* and you have to watch it happen (your defender not clearing a ball, or your striker just running into the keeper). Attributes aren't as important as they should be (all shots are rockets), and "error" doesn't really exist (nothing is ever misplaced, it's either the perfect pass or played directly to the opponent).

Most of which can be applied to PES 2020 (as well as every PES game ever, I think, which is my larger point).

*Like in this 2020 example (yeah, he's online, but I've seen this offline)...

It's PES at its core and if you want that old-school vibe, I think you'd have to score it pretty highly. But personally, I find it really hard to accept after playing FIFA 20, so I'd probably give it a 6.5/10.

In 2016 (when it was released) I'd probably add +2.5 and say "just improve the Master League". In-fact... If you look at my review from back then, that's exactly what I did:

For years, [PES] has felt one part special, two parts off, and for me, it's never been complete enough to compete with its fierce rival. As of now, it seems that years of potential that weren't backed up with enough execution, have finally lead to a game where everything on the pitch has truly "clicked". What's off it can wait for another day. 9/10

That "other day" never happened. The ML is still a steaming pile.

Yeah, I gotta hand it to Chris. He saw it coming way before me (and most of us).
While we were all still under the spell of the PES 2020 Demo, he had already detected many of the things that are making this version unplayable for me. So, credit where credit's due.

I'm more angry at myself than I am at Konami, really. How and why do I keep falling for this? I'm a grown ass man, I should know better.

In my opinion, PES has been in the toilet since 2007. Other than the way it feels (weight of the players and ball...) I think it is rubbish now. FIFA is leagues ahead of it in just about every way. FIFA could be so much more, though.

More like 2003. PES 4 through 2008 were arcade ping pong fests (overrated games).

The bits I enjoy of 2017 are plentiful - teammate AI isn't dumbed down, to the point where Superstar is too easy for me on PA1 (which is a problem) - but you don't (as) often feel cheated by something, and that "cheating" is something I've hated in PES for years. Dribbling is more of an option because the AI doesn't so obviously read your input. Defending is more of an art (because fouls happen more easily, and cards occasionally fly around). I didn't realise how much I've missed fouls, to be honest. Matches seem to have a little more variety too. It's rarely dull (a word someone used to describe 2020).

Scoring it out of 10 is difficult, because, I'm scoring it in 2020, having played other games and knowing what can be represented in a modern football game. PES 2017 has players that bump into each other and freeze (using identical animations, like they're dancing in perfect sync), while the ball rolls past them... Responsiveness issues mean sometimes, your player will do some really dumb shit* and you have to watch it happen (your defender not clearing a ball, or your striker just running into the keeper). Attributes aren't as important as they should be (all shots are rockets), and "error" doesn't really exist (nothing is ever misplaced, it's either the perfect pass or played directly to the opponent).

Most of which can be applied to PES 2020 (as well as every PES game ever, I think, which is my larger point).

*Like in this 2020 example (yeah, he's online, but I've seen this offline)...

It's PES at its core and if you want that old-school vibe, I think you'd have to score it pretty highly. But personally, I find it really hard to accept after playing FIFA 20, so I'd probably give it a 6.5/10.

In 2016 (when it was released) I'd probably add +2.5 and say "just improve the Master League". In-fact... If you look at my review from back then, that's exactly what I did:

That "other day" never happened. The ML is still a steaming pile.

Regarding PES2017, i agree with all what you say but the overpowered shooting was a game breaker for me. Scoring a goal (the most important thing in football) was unsatisfying to me because anyone could hit a rocket. All shots, by AI and human, were either on target or just wide but shot like an arrow.

I recently watched my old youtube videos from PES2017 because of some of the love it was getting in the voting thread. After a few goals and shots it reminded me of how much that killed it for me.

Although i did just give PES2017 a quick go this morning and i didn't complain or find it gamebreaking when Rose scored this for me :P

Although i did just give PES2017 a quick go this morning and i didn't complain or find it gamebreaking when Rose scored this for me :P

Absolute beaut!

Yeah, I get your point. Thing is though... Every single PES is like this. All of them. Even in 2020 where "mishits" were part of its PR... They're "shots that go 10ft wide instead of 5ft wide"... That's not the same thing...

And while that's the case - give me the game with the more human AI (and UEFA licenses) every day of the week, I'll sacrifice the better animations and SLIGHTLY improved responsiveness of 2020 for that. Every. Damn. Day.

The shot you take there is the stuff that you know in FIFA will be PROPERLY mishit - last night I completely mishit two lofted back-passes to the keeper with a defender under pressure, one of which the AI scored from (before someone says "errr that happened to me in PES", I bet it wasn't from a mishit - i.e. a rushed poor contact with the ball - but rather from a pass straight to the AI, which is different).

I find it very difficult to give PES the time of day after that. Times have changed.

Absolute beaut!

Yeah, I get your point. Thing is though... Every single PES is like this. All of them. Even in 2020 where "mishits" were part of its PR... They're "shots that go 10ft wide instead of 5ft wide"... That's not the same thing...

And while that's the case - give me the game with the more human AI (and UEFA licenses) every day of the week, I'll sacrifice the better animations and SLIGHTLY improved responsiveness of 2020 for that. Every. Damn. Day.

The shot you take there is the stuff that you know in FIFA will be PROPERLY mishit - last night I completely mishit two lofted back-passes to the keeper with a defender under pressure, one of which the AI scored from (before someone says "errr that happened to me in PES", I bet it wasn't from a mishit - i.e. a rushed poor contact with the ball - but rather from a pass straight to the AI, which is different).

I find it very difficult to give PES the time of day after that. Times have changed.

Yeh for me the shooting along with fouls has always been the main thing. It really does feel good to score in FIFA because shots need to be timed well, they are not all well hit and some are powder puff shots.

I have to admit though that I am still enjoying retroPES, and notice the really poor shot here which almost goes out of the stadium.

It’s at 12.20 in real time and at 75 mins game time.

It’s funny because when i had that shot my brother said “It’s Hojbjerg what do you expect?” :D

If PES2017 had shooting like that, based on stats, I would have been happy.

Unless the chaotic Ice skating has been sorted in fifa its 10x better on the pitch, best footy game for about a decade as far as I'm concerned. Each to their own but for me fifa died after 2016
Saying PES is better than FIFA these days is like saying eating wet dirt is more enjoyable than eating raw chicken.

Saying PES is better than FIFA these days is like saying eating wet dirt is more enjoyable than eating raw chicken.
There are moments where best option is just to let go.
19/20 when it comes to footy games is, somewhat, year of experiments on both fronts.
Pes wanted to bring simulation and unfortunately failed due to referees, collisions and defending. Those were little things that they simply ignored for years and they finally came back to kick them in the balls.

Referees couldnt cope with more realistic and sensitive collisions, so defending was reverted back to hold X and dribbling was nerfed to minimise the amount of more complex tackling.
They meant well, but they failed.

Fifa also wanted to slow things down, which was met with general backlash from all the youtubers and esport people (aka. Game is so slow and boring)
On top of that - they dumbed down defending to ensure that if you dont defend - no one will. That was to give them some magical "skill gap", which I dont understand till this day. To me - regardless if AI is helping you or not - it helps both sides, so if you are good - there should always be a gap. But hey, im not an Esport Pass Assist level 47 player, so what do I know..

Altho, having said all that - in exchange for AI dumb defending - Fifa gave us much more effective user defending.

So overall - out of them two - Fifa this year is bit more fun, having created better balance between offense and defense, whereas Pes is mostly fun when you are on the ball and very frustrating when you are not.

Anyway - no point in throwing angry one liners and getting angry one liners thrown back at you.
Fingers crossed new consoles will bring some more creativity, flexibility and care from developers. In the meantime - Im playing other games and I recommend you to do the same. At this point - if we didnt enjoy it - there is no Monster Patch coming to save us..

I'm not too concerned about anyone else's opinion, I'm glad I didn't buy fifa again and i still enjoy this years pes as much as I did on release so money well spent for me

Ha! I had a friend over the other day too. He doesn't play footy games.

So I asked him to play PES 2019. One match.

First up, he was amazed about the lack of licenses and the team names.

About midway he put the controller down and said "look, its doing it all for me". And I watched and I couldn't argue with him as I tried to beat his autodefending. He politely picked the controller back up after about 30 seconds to complete the game.

Then he'd watched some replays and laughed - "they've got a way to go before they make the faces look realistic"

Instead of being a fun game it turned out to be a bit embarassing for me cos I actually couldn't argue with what he was seeing and saying.

Edit : but I'll still be doing my PES 2010-2020 seasons once I can find my 2010 disc!

There are moments where best option is just to let go.
19/20 when it comes to footy games is, somewhat, year of experiments on both fronts.
Pes wanted to bring simulation and unfortunately failed due to referees, collisions and defending. Those were little things that they simply ignored for years and they finally came back to kick them in the balls.

Referees couldnt cope with more realistic and sensitive collisions, so defending was reverted back to hold X and dribbling was nerfed to minimise the amount of more complex tackling.
They meant well, but they failed.

Fifa also wanted to slow things down, which was met with general backlash from all the youtubers and esport people (aka. Game is so slow and boring)
On top of that - they dumbed down defending to ensure that if you dont defend - no one will. That was to give them some magical "skill gap", which I dont understand till this day. To me - regardless if AI is helping you or not - it helps both sides, so if you are good - there should always be a gap. But hey, im not an Esport Pass Assist level 47 player, so what do I know..

Altho, having said all that - in exchange for AI dumb defending - Fifa gave us much more effective user defending.

So overall - out of them two - Fifa this year is bit more fun, having created better balance between offense and defense, whereas Pes is mostly fun when you are on the ball and very frustrating when you are not.

Anyway - no point in throwing angry one liners and getting angry one liners thrown back at you.
Fingers crossed new consoles will bring some more creativity, flexibility and care from developers. In the meantime - Im playing other games and I recommend you to do the same. At this point - if we didnt enjoy it - there is no Monster Patch coming to save us..

I wasn't throwing any angry one liner if you're referring to my post? Apologies if I came across that way, didn't mean to.

Saying that, I agree with everything you say. I just don't play football games now, there are far too many good games out there to waste my time with a demo like PES 2020 or FUT Kingdom 20. Letting go, as you put it, is exactly what I've done. Forcing myself to enjoy a video game is crazy really, I don't do it with any other genre - only these damn football titles.

I won't be buying either game next year unless both companies MAJORLY change their philosphies. Which they won't. The card game modes rule the roost now. Single player football gaming is over, it's just a memory now.

Last edited:
I wasn't throwing any angry one liner if you're referring to my post? Apologies if I came across that way, didn't mean to.
You werent, but it could easily lead to it. Thats why I jumped in.
I decided to stop commenting in Pes20 thread myself, for the very same reason.
Some are still enjoying the game - I dont.
At this point it can only lead to us vs them. So I packed my bag and moved on to different games
(Altho I was still enjoying Fifa, just needed a break from football games altogether)

You werent, but it could easily lead to it. Thats why I jumped in.
I decided to stop commenting in Pes20 thread myself, for the very same reason.
Some are still enjoying the game - I dont.
At this point it can only lead to us vs them. So I packed my bag and moved on to different games
(Altho I was still enjoying Fifa, just needed a break from football games altogether)
Yeah that's fair enough mate, I'll do the same.

Finally bought fifa...applied os sliders etc...

So in terms of freedom of player movement ball physics, its some distance ahead of pes. I actually think the graphics are a bit better than pes, at least in the premier league grounds, the other counties look so washed out and dull...

And yeah its erratic and buggy with movement and ball physics but they've been so ambitious with both, I can accept that.

I can even accept the floaty movement and overall lack of punch in the feel of the game.

But it feels like the age old problem is going to ruin it for me this year and that is teammate AI. I play on broadcast cam as this masks some of the rigid straight line movement of the teams byt still, it feels like the same patterns that have been there since fifa 10 are still playing out.

Am I missing something this year? Am I not waiting long enough for players to make runs?its just never feels as if I score a great team goal of random movement and passes, everything feel, in terms of buildup in final third very similar, andplayers so rarely interchange position.meaningfully.
Is everybody else feeling this? Has anybody ever scored a truly great team goal of players interchanging and moving organically and in close.proximity to one another on fifa 20? A goal that felt truly improvised?
It feels like all the freedom in ball physics and movement has to be compensated for with virtually no.meaningful team mate AI beyond the functional...

(This is the one area this years pes excels. It can feel quite rigid going back to it, but the feel of it is meaty and punchy and most of.all, it feels like almost anything can happen in the way you build up to a goal, even if the final shot is too often samey due to limited physics... )

Just to add, overall I could easily pass on both this year, been doing more reading and watching films...

If only you could add fifa ball physics to pes 20, or pes weight and attacking team mate AI to fifa...

Last edited:
Finally bought fifa...applied os sliders etc...

So in terms of freedom of player movement ball physics, its some distance ahead of pes. I actually think the graphics are a bit better than pes, at least in the premier league grounds, the other counties look so washed out and dull...

And yeah its erratic and buggy with movement and ball physics but they've been so ambitious with both, I can accept that.

I can even accept the floaty movement and overall lack of punch in the feel of the game.

But it feels like the age old problem is going to ruin it for me this year and that is teammate AI. I play on broadcast cam as this masks some of the rigid straight line movement of the teams byt still, it feels like the same patterns that have been there since fifa 10 are still playing out.

Am I missing something this year? Am I not waiting long enough for players to make runs?its just never feels as if I score a great team goal of random movement and passes, everything feel, in terms of buildup in final third very similar, andplayers so rarely interchange position.meaningfully.
Is everybody else feeling this? Has anybody ever scored a truly great team goal of players interchanging and moving organically and in close.proximity to one another on fifa 20? A goal that felt truly improvised?
It feels like all the freedom in ball physics and movement has to be compensated for with virtually no.meaningful team mate AI beyond the functional...

(This is the one area this years pes excels. It can feel quite rigid going back to it, but the feel of it is meaty and punchy and most of.all, it feels like almost anything can happen in the way you build up to a goal, even if the final shot is too often samey due to limited physics... )

Just to add, overall I could easily pass on both this year, been doing more reading and watching films...

If only you could add fifa ball physics to pes 20, or pes weight and attacking team mate AI to fifa...
Go back to the default sliders, the OS community sliders eliminate all player runs because the community doesn't want to see them for some reason.

Go back to the default sliders, the OS community sliders eliminate all player runs because the community doesn't want to see them for some reason.

Yeah, the game becomes a little too static. I'll try that. Thanks...

Two changes I've noticed have helped MASSIVELY...
selecting attacking fullback with the dpad in game which causes way more movement from wingers infield and between the lines
And, using balanced tactics, bumping up players in the box to 8.
I worried before it would cause too much direct flooding the box but it doesnt.. it just creates way more options around final third.

In fact, I may just be talking in live with the game a little
Playing as liverpool at Anfield, broadcast cam, its eerily similar to TV at times...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom