L.A. Noire

The Broken Sword series is one of my favourites but i'm the opposite to you as this game doesn't interest me. It seems rather devoid of humour, rather like it's taking itself way too seriously for a videogame, which is something that Broken Sword didn't really do.

Broken Sword was amazing! When I get my iPad back tomorrow i'm going to get both of them again.

HMV have dispatched my order. Hopefully I will get it on Thursday.

Did they email you to tell you? I also ordered from them but didn't get an email despite it showing in the order history as being shipped today :)

I was hoping this would be a "thinking man's game" but it's not, it's very shallow. Collecting clues are very one dimensional and figuring out if someone is lying or holding something back is just too obvious, no thinking needed at all.

It's not a bad game, it's just not as deep as I was hoping for.

I was hoping this would be a "thinking man's game" but it's not, it's very shallow. Collecting clues are very one dimensional and figuring out if someone is lying or holding something back is just too obvious, no thinking needed at all.

It's not a bad game, it's just not as deep as I was hoping for.

It says in every review that the questioning is easier at the beginning to ease people in it, but once you're further in the game it becomes very hard to see when people are lying or telling the truth. My advice, stick with it.

The map is very impressive. 8 square miles!

la_m-3914e3d825.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they email you to tell you? I also ordered from them but didn't get an email despite it showing in the order history as being shipped today :)

Yes they emailed me. It read 'Its on its way'. :)

strange I`m just hearing about this game now after Mancity beat stokes on tv adverts. Looks pretty good might pick me a copy sometime soon.

The latest PS3 firmware may be incompatible with a "few different games," including L.A. Noire, according to Rockstar.

On Rockstar's support site, a question was posed regarding PS3 systems turning themselves off when playing L.A. Noire.

"Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat," Rockstar responded.

"There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or 'Red Lighting' after having installed 3.61. This can range from games randomly freezing to PS3s turning off [after] anywhere between 30 mins use to two hours.

"We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed."

Rockstar said that the issue is primarily affecting "older 60GB and 80GB fat models".

3.61 is the latest firmware update for the PS3, released by Sony to make systems compatible with changes to PSN in response to the recent attacks. The firmware update is required to play games online or access any of the system's online capabilities.

Glad I didn't go for the PS3 version now I have an old fatty. I kinda hope my 360 wont work with the new update because MS are saying they will replace them for free with a new 250gb slim.

Sony get hacked now their firmware update to fix it is breaking PS3's? Is there anything else Sony could possibly cock-up?

If there's the possibility of the PS3 overheating when playing LA Noire then I'm going for the 360 version. Nice work, Sony. Given I'm on my third PS3 and Sony doesn't give a shit when you're out of warranty, even for a firmware update breaking your console, I'm not taking the risk. You could guarantee they'd tell me to get lost if this caused my PS3 slim to break down.

I've read somewhere someone saying his phat ps3 have stopped overheating after the update..

I think it died.

Rockstar retracted their statement and its also happening to the 360 version. In fact they will be releasing a patch in the coming days for both consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
My copy arrived today from HMV. After playing it for 2 hours my initial impressions are that its a slow game that requires a fair bit of thinking which brings about a fresh new approach in video games. The graphics are good but certainly not great. The facial animations are superb but the city of LA itself feels a bit lifeless because apart from the cases and side quests there isn't much else to do. Its even worse then the city in Mafia 2 where you could at least go and buy guns, food, fill up petrol, clean cars etc. All I have seen currently is landmarks and thats about it. There is loads of detail in the actual city but nothing that you can really interact with.

Rockstar retracted their statement and its also happening to the 360 version. In fact they will be releasing a patch in the coming days for both consoles.

Great! So us without an internet connection for our Xbox are basically screwed.

BTW, a friendly warning to any swedes in here. Don't pre-order stuff from Ginza, they sent my game TODAY so I'll probably get it on monday. Things like this just pisses me off, how hard can it be?

BillyBoy//

So you can't enter any buildings unless a mission requires you to?

Last edited:
BTW, a friendly warning to any swedes in here. Don't pre-order stuff from Ginza, they sent my game TODAY so I'll probably get it on monday. Things like this just pisses me off, how hard can it be?

Where are Ginza based? I pre-ordered from HMV in the UK and they sent it out on the 17th so should be here in Sweden early next week :)

Bought 1kg of cheap chocolate from Thorntons in the UK, they despatched it on the 16th and it arrived today, all depends what kind of service they use I guess, games are generally just standard 1st class so not as fast as airsure or international signed for which are quicker and often come direct to your apartment, no need to collect from ICA etc ;)

I think they are based 400 km from Stockholm, so I can't see it arriving here today. I don't understand why they send it on the day of release, you should have the game in your hand on release, what's the purpose of pre-order if not? Last time with Ginza, that's for sure.

BillyBoy//

So you can't enter any buildings unless a mission requires you to?

From what I can tell no you cant. The cases take you to specific locations and you can only enter those places.

Really enjoying this so far.

However, I'm trying for perfection, so if I miss a clue or get a question wrong, I'm replaying the case at the end until I get things right.

Really pleased thus far. On the case "Marriage Made In Heaven"

You lucky people with the game, what's your impressions so far? Do the cases have different outcomes depending on what decisions you make?

You lucky people with the game, what's your impressions so far? Do the cases have different outcomes depending on what decisions you make?

Don't believe so. It's the same outcome it just takes longer to get there depending on the decisions you make. It's not multi-outcome like Heavy Rain was. Even then that was the same ending.

The outcome is the same but the way you solve the case can be quite different (different scenes or places for example)

Last edited:
I think you can have slightly different endings. In fact, in "Marriage in heaven" I had 2 slightly different outcomes. I mean, the story is always the same, but you can get the wrong people or miss a certain clue that would make guilty another one.

Personally, I'm loving it! Best game I've played this year by far. It's different, it's based on the story and the cases grow bigger everytime. Dialogues are superb and the face technology totally changes how the game is perceived. I wouldn't want to do much things out of the cases. The game is based on detective work. And it's the first time I see this in a game. It could be even less "automated" in certain areas, but come on, it totally blows any other "police" game made up to now since Police Quest!

Back
Top Bottom