Leeds United Thread

Give Up

Conference
14 August 2006
Leeds-United.png

Are there any Leeds United Fans still around?

I am one!

Please help keep this thread ALIVE!!

LAST GAME: (05/01/2008)

Swindon v Leeds

0,,10273~3582137,00.gif

0-1

SWINDON 0
LEEDS 1 (Kandol 25)

Swindon: Phil Smith, Comminges, Kanyuka (Ifil 17), Aljofree, Vincent, Allen (McGovern 68), Peacock, Easton, Roberts, Cox, Paynter. Subs: Brezovan, McNamee, Ashikodi.

United: Ankergren, Kenton, Marques, Michalik, Richardson, Prutton, Kilkenny (Thompson 79), Howson, Johnson, Beckford, Kandol. Subs: Lucas, Sheehan, Carole, Elding.

Referee: C Foy

Booked: Ifil (Swindon), Beckford (Leeds).

Att: 13,217

AWAY VICTORY!!

Tresor Kandol secures Gary Mac's first win as United manager

Match Report

United boss Gary McAllister welcomed Neil Kilkenny back to his midfield and Bradley Johnson returned to the left flank with Peter Sweeney missing out.

Worryingly, new loan signing Steve O'Halloran, who was named in the original starting line-up, limped out of the warm-up 20 minutes before kick-off, leaving the boss with a late dilemma. Fellow left-back Alan Sheehan, who wasn't named in the squad, emerged from the tunnel to join the warm-up.

That prompted a late change to the Leeds team with Frazer Richardson stepping into the starting line-up, and Sheehan being added to the subs bench.

It was an untidy opening to the contest - United kicked-off playing into the wind - and it was Swindon who had the first opportunity when Lee Peacock lashed a shot over the top. Jermaine Beckford also put one over the top from close range on 10 minutes after a David Prutton free-kick.

Swindon suffered an early injury blow themselves when centre-back Patrick Kanyuka limped out of the game on 17 minutes, Jerel Ifil coming on as his replacement.

When Leeds threatened again,Tresor Kandol had a shot deflected wide on 22 minutes, but much to the surprise of both sets of players, referee Chris Foy awarded a goal-kick. Moments later, Beckford picked up a yellow card, following a robust challenge after the striker was crowded out in the Swindon box.

Leeds were starting to look the better of the two sides and Kandol made it 1-0 with a terrific header in the 25th minute. Prutton produced a superb delivery and Kandol's header was perfectly placed to leave Swindon goalkeeper Phil Smith with no chance.

Prutton was again involved shortly after the half-hour when Johnson headed a cross narrowly wide after more good build-up play by United.

When Swindon threatened, Rui Marques made a good challenge to thwart the hosts. But, United had an escape on 39 minutes when Marques conceded a corner. Christian Roberts' delivery was allowed to find Simon Cox inside the six-yard box, but the Swindon man somehow headed over the top when it looked easier to score.

The referee added on two extra minutes at the end of the half, and on the stroke of half-time Kandol was denied by an offside flag after a delightful ball from Kilkenny.

Both sides traded early attacks at the start of the second period, and Lubo Michalik, making use of the wind, tried a cheeky downfield shot from a full 60 yards which almost caught Swindon keeper Smith napping.

At the other end, Billy Paynter headed wide after Leeds failed to clear and as play moved quickly Kandol appeared to have a decent penalty shout waved away when he tumbled under pressure from a Swindon defender.

As the game moved into the final half-hour, United were having some defending to do as Swindon looked to force a way back into the game. Darren Kenton, Kandol, and Michalik all made timely clearances.

But when United came forward, Beckford almost got on the end of a neat ball threaded through by Jonny Howson. And on 70 minutes, Smith prevented Prutton from making it 2-0 when he tipped away an inswinging corner underneath his own bar.

Ankergren performed a similar rescue mission at the other end when he saved well to deny Roberts an equaliser.

With 11 minutes remaining, McAllister introduced Thompson in place of Kilkenny.

And it was United who were next to go close on 81 minutes when Howson tried his luck from the edge of the box with a shot that beat Smith but flew inches over.

Three minutes of stoppage time were added on at the end of the contest, but there were no further dramas and McAllister was able to celebrate a first win as United manager.

Last edited:
Will be good to see Leeds climbing back in the the prem. They are far too big to be where they area now, and I think they have been harshly treated by the FA.

Hope Leeds get the regation to the EPL faster, I almost miss them as a Leeds fan.

It's almost a shame seeing a historic club with tradition like Leeds playing in a lower division.

How's Thommo-hawk doing there? Is he still the captain.

Is Stephen Crainey still there too?

FD

crainey was a waste of time, and thompson is always injured, if you want to do us a favour though send us the legend that is gordon strachen back and you can take thompson back :)

come on leeeeeds

It's a good thing that the players are having a mini break with not playing this weekend, aswell as Tore (wish there was two R's and an S in his name lol) coming back from injury as it seems that the front two Beckford n Kandol have gone off the boil lately due to playing week in week out with hardly any competition, they are both due a goal...It's frustrating watching Leeds play at the minute as they seem to stuff up the simple things and yet some of the play is worthy of any league, take Jermaine Beckford as a prime example there have been loads of times so far this season where a simple shot or header would have been a better option yet almost every time he tries the bycicle kick and misses, and yet he has scored some belters this year at the same time. It's like the team struggles to do the simple easy stuff and yet they have it in their locker to do some glorious stuff, if the lads can just nail the simple stuff we will maul teams in that league. Having said all this I cannot believe where Leeds are in the table considering every other team started off with a 15 point head start on us, and everyone at the club has so far done tremendously well to help lift the club up to where they are, and I firmly believe that we will blitz the league come May, it would be ironic and funny as hell if at the seasons end we finish in 1st place being 15 points clear, have that. Leeds and proud, forever and a day.

PS

I do think Felipe Da Costa should be first choice on the left wing as he looks a quality player from what I've seen for that league...condemn me for mentioning his name but he reminds me of Harry Kewell in his playing style, I don't mean running at players and going on mazy runs, I mean sitting on the bench all season!

Last edited:
I saw Swansea batter you lot at the Liberty Stadium back in December.

League One mate and they are doing shite. :lol:

...It was Garry Kelly who you are thinking of and no, he doesn't play for them anymore (I don't think anyway.) :)

Wow that must be tough having to do that, like Juventus in Serie B last year with all those top quality players! Come on Leeds buy back Ian Harte and get the show rolling. (And make sure you apply for the Intertoto Cup spot!)

Back
Top Bottom