My FIFA 09 Impressions - Not so impressed after all ? What went wrong ??

iluvnineties

Banned
18 April 2008
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
FC Porto
Ok, I finally got my hands on FIFA 2009 last night. After being disappointed with PES08 (Keep in mind I'm one of the biggest PES/WE fan boys) I decided to get FIFA 08 and so I did. I loved the game. It just felt like real football match. The gameplay is what made me "convert" for now to say the least. PES2008 was just horrible in every single aspect of the game, so I won't even mention all the negative things about it. Konami really took a step back in the wrong dirrection and the PES/WE franchise is about to be forgotten about and just die. So many years playing and enjoying PES/WE on my PS2 and PES08 was really one of the worst football games I ever played in my life. So again, I was really impressed with FIFA 08 and felt like EA was now the king of the football gaming industry and took the crown away from Konami. So with all this said, I decided to buy FIFA 09 and just forget PES09 and that I did.

FIFA 09 is really different from 08 and so far after playing what, 5 matches I'm starting to think EA screwed up BIG TIME with this game. I've said a lot, my eyes start to hurt when playing FIFA 09. EVERYTHING IS SOOOO DAMN FAST...starting from the gameplay, the way players move, the ball speed, the passing - feels really arcadish in my honest opinion. If you like a slow, more realistic gameplay like me then don't buy FIFA. I don't know what the heck happened with the ball, but it doesn't have that feel like a ball should have when in possesion. Passing is ultra, super fast..boom boom...in and out... this is just crazy. I tried to fix this by going to game tactics and it didn't help one bit. EVERYTHING FEELS SO DAMN FAST - sorry for mentioning this many times but I'm not lying. The most realistic football game of all times was probably Winning Eleven 7: International on PS2. For those of you that played this game know exactly what I'm talking about.

A real football game should have slow, well balanced & organized gameplay where the ball feels heavy and not like a balloon. Also the real football game should somewhat be realistic. No way on this EARTH can you have a defender have the speed like Roberto Carlos does. Every single player is super nitros-oxide fast in FIFA 09. I'm dead serious. This is not realism. I was playing on World Class and I'm having Puyol or let's say Vidic or Materazzi dribble through my oponents entire defense..not even dribble just super fast sprint and I cannot be stopped. This is not what I call a realistic football game. Also, the AI seems very stupid this time and makes really foolish mistakes from time to time. Again, not so realistic is it ??

I don't know man, for now FIFA 09 is def. not my cup of tea. Too fast, too arcadey, but to finish this on a positive note, the nets look and feel much more realistic - still not like in PES/WE and no football game has ever had net animations like in Football Kingdom on PS2.

Another thing I like in FIFA is when you score the crowd goes INSANE...really makes my anxiety go high lol. And the last thing I really like is the freedom you have when you play this game. In real football, you don't see 5 defenders trying to take the ball away from you in front of your own goal. The real challenge begins after you pass the half way through - something that I couldn't stand in PES/WE or even in FIFA. I like this freedom, where I can pass the ball knowing I won't lose it in my territory - only if I'm stupid enough.

At this early stage I will say FIFA 2008 is a lot better and much more realistic football game than FIFA 2009. PLEASE, PLEASE rent this game before you decide to buy it. $59 USD that I spent on this game could of been used on much more important&better things but now its history. Who knows, my impressions and opinions could change in the up coming weeks...months but for not I am highly dissapointed in FIFA 09. Maybe I need to give my PS2 some extra attention this winter and play good ole' Winning Eleven 7 or something...because these folks EA&KONAMI are going in the wrong dirrection.

That's it for now.

Thanks for reading.

Ok, I finally got my hands on FIFA 2009 last night. After being disappointed with PES08 (Keep in mind I'm one of the biggest PES/WE fan boys) I decided to get FIFA 08 and so I did. I loved the game. It just felt like real football match. The gameplay is what made me "convert" for now to say the least. PES2008 was just horrible in every single aspect of the game, so I won't even mention all the negative things about it. Konami really took a step back in the wrong dirrection and the PES/WE franchise is about to be forgotten about and just die. So many years playing and enjoying PES/WE on my PS2 and PES08 was really one of the worst football games I ever played in my life. So again, I was really impressed with FIFA 08 and felt like EA was now the king of the football gaming industry and took the crown away from Konami. So with all this said, I decided to buy FIFA 09 and just forget PES09 and that I did.

FIFA 09 is really different from 08 and so far after playing what, 5 matches I'm starting to think EA screwed up BIG TIME with this game. I've said a lot, my eyes start to hurt when playing FIFA 09. EVERYTHING IS SOOOO DAMN FAST...starting from the gameplay, the way players move, the ball speed, the passing - feels really arcadish in my honest opinion. If you like a slow, more realistic gameplay like me then don't buy FIFA. I don't know what the heck happened with the ball, but it doesn't have that feel like a ball should have when in possesion. Passing is ultra, super fast..boom boom...in and out... this is just crazy. I tried to fix this by going to game tactics and it didn't help one bit. EVERYTHING FEELS SO DAMN FAST - sorry for mentioning this many times but I'm not lying. The most realistic football game of all times was probably Winning Eleven 7: International on PS2. For those of you that played this game know exactly what I'm talking about.

A real football game should have slow, well balanced & organized gameplay where the ball feels heavy and not like a balloon. Also the real football game should somewhat be realistic. No way on this EARTH can you have a defender have the speed like Roberto Carlos does. Every single player is super nitros-oxide fast in FIFA 09. I'm dead serious. This is not realism. I was playing on World Class and I'm having Puyol or let's say Vidic or Materazzi dribble through my oponents entire defense..not even dribble just super fast sprint and I cannot be stopped. This is not what I call a realistic football game. Also, the AI seems very stupid this time and makes really foolish mistakes from time to time. Again, not so realistic is it ??

I don't know man, for now FIFA 09 is def. not my cup of tea. Too fast, too arcadey, but to finish this on a positive note, the nets look and feel much more realistic - still not like in PES/WE and no football game has ever had net animations like in Football Kingdom on PS2.

Another thing I like in FIFA is when you score the crowd goes INSANE...really makes my anxiety go high lol. And the last thing I really like is the freedom you have when you play this game. In real football, you don't see 5 defenders trying to take the ball away from you in front of your own goal. The real challenge begins after you pass the half way through - something that I couldn't stand in PES/WE or even in FIFA. I like this freedom, where I can pass the ball knowing I won't lose it in my territory - only if I'm stupid enough.

At this early stage I will say FIFA 2008 is a lot better and much more realistic football game than FIFA 2009. PLEASE, PLEASE rent this game before you decide to buy it. $59 USD that I spent on this game could of been used on much more important&better things but now its history. Who knows, my impressions and opinions could change in the up coming weeks...months but for not I am highly dissapointed in FIFA 09. Maybe I need to give my PS2 some extra attention this winter and play good ole' Winning Eleven 7 or something...because these folks EA&KONAMI are going in the wrong dirrection.

That's it for now.

Thanks for reading.

I agree that it is way too easy to pass quickly and effectively. For me, the way the lowest ranked teams can pass and play (2-star teams perhaps) would probably be more suited for the Inters and Milans of the game, and the lower ranked teams should be dropped in skill even more. Basically just shifting the passing skill aspect down, so that 5-star teams get 2-star teams effectiveness, and 2-star teams get something like 0-star effectiveness (if that makes sense).

Also, the trapping aspect of the game is still way too simplified for my personal tastes. You mention PES and how that played, and the big difference for me is how players trap the ball. In PES, you almost always have a certain time window of unresponsivness when a player traps a pass. The player also often traps the ball in another direction than you wanted, which simulates missing the trap slightly.
Also, they really need to worsen the players abilities to trap in angles. Being able to trap a ball in the same direction you are moving is fairly easy in real life. But in FIFA, it seems too easy to control the ball and turn at the same time, and the players seem to be able to maintain a unrealistic amount of speed and control through the move. When trapping at high speeds, it should be far harder and less controlled to turn the body and trap a ball at the same time (it doesn't feel like the player is using his legs for both turning and moving his body aswell as controlling a ball, it feels too effortless for me). This again means that it is too easy to pass-pass-pass and just string together quick plays without players needing to take time to control the ball when receiving a pass.

Also, the accuracy of one-touch passes needs to be severely decreased. Players can effortlessly pass a directpass in almost any direction and get it perfectly to their teammate, and the accuracy and speed is like a normal pass. This another aspect of PES that really defines the gameplay. In PES it isn't worthwhile trying to one-touch pas to the players blindside or behind him, since the efficiency of the passes are so inconsistent. SO you are more or less encouraged or forced to focus on always trapping the ball to make sure that a pass while be accurate and fast. In FIFA players can one-touch ping the ball in any direction very accurately, and this makes it possible to play the game unrealistically quickly.

And, the stamina/fatigue needs to be much enhanced. Simply because it is possible to play maximum pace football for an entire game. Rather than being a less important aspect that can even be ignored, stamina and the way players are affected by it should play an very important part.

I agree that it is way too easy to pass quickly and effectively. For me, the way the lowest ranked teams can pass and play (2-star teams perhaps) would probably be more suited for the Inters and Milans of the game, and the lower ranked teams should be dropped in skill even more. Basically just shifting the passing skill aspect down, so that 5-star teams get 2-star teams effectiveness, and 2-star teams get something like 0-star effectiveness (if that makes sense).

Also, the trapping aspect of the game is still way too simplified for my personal tastes. You mention PES and how that played, and the big difference for me is how players trap the ball. In PES, you almost always have a certain time window of unresponsivness when a player traps a pass. The player also often traps the ball in another direction than you wanted, which simulates missing the trap slightly.
Also, they really need to worsen the players abilities to trap in angles. Being able to trap a ball in the same direction you are moving is fairly easy in real life. But in FIFA, it seems too easy to control the ball and turn at the same time, and the players seem to be able to maintain a unrealistic amount of speed and control through the move. When trapping at high speeds, it should be far harder and less controlled to turn the body and trap a ball at the same time (it doesn't feel like the player is using his legs for both turning and moving his body aswell as controlling a ball, it feels too effortless for me). This again means that it is too easy to pass-pass-pass and just string together quick plays without players needing to take time to control the ball when receiving a pass.

Also, the accuracy of one-touch passes needs to be severely decreased. Players can effortlessly pass a directpass in almost any direction and get it perfectly to their teammate, and the accuracy and speed is like a normal pass. This another aspect of PES that really defines the gameplay. In PES it isn't worthwhile trying to one-touch pas to the players blindside or behind him, since the efficiency of the passes are so inconsistent. SO you are more or less encouraged or forced to focus on always trapping the ball to make sure that a pass while be accurate and fast. In FIFA players can one-touch ping the ball in any direction very accurately, and this makes it possible to play the game unrealistically quickly.

And, the stamina/fatigue needs to be much enhanced. Simply because it is possible to play maximum pace football for an entire game. Rather than being a less important aspect that can even be ignored, stamina and the way players are affected by it should play an very important part.

One of the best replies I've read in a while. Kudos :APPLAUD:

Maybe I just suck, because I can't string passes together very easily. I am always getting pushed off the ball or pass the ball in the wrong direction, if only slightly.

Also, change the game speed for the FIFA 08 style of play.

Also take the passing of assisted.

I never even consider that "assisted" exists. ;)

I play Semi on passing and shooting and everything else on manual.

But even if you play on Assisted, that is a good indication of what I was talking about. Since "assisted" always aims exactly to a teammate, the only thing that will affect the inaccuracy of the pass is the player stats, and since assisted is way too mechanical and unvaried, it highlights the flaws of the current system.

PES's "Assisted" passing should be the norm, because I often curse when a player miss a pass, or when you pass at an angle and the ball looses all accuracy and speed. "Manual" control is then just a way to yourself control the exact aim of the players, but the inaccuracy and inconsistency of the "Assisted" passes should be present obviously.

Back
Top Bottom