PC Gaming

I don't know how interested people are in release of new graphics cards.

However Nvidia are launching their new Ampere graphics card at an event on May 14th.
The cards are being made using a 7NM process instead of 12NM currently used.

Nvidia are claiming that the new cards will be like for like 50% faster than the previous model, and require less power.

I managed to buy a 1080 TI during the cryptomining peak which was far from ideal so I won't be buying any graphics card for a while... but hopefully shouldn't need to!

That's interesting though, and very encouraging. Wasn't bothered at all by the RTX ray tracing stuff.

I will purchase a new card when available.
I currently have a 2080 super, which although will be more powerful than the new consoles, I shouldn't lose too much money on the upgrade.

In regards to RTX it is a weird experience to start with as you play a game and go what has it done.
But as soon as you turn it off again you think, wow the water looks really rubbish now.

Last edited:
Hey guys :) @bsmaff

A friend of mine is about to buy a new PC on a limited budget & he can get parts from the company he is working for at a better price, so not everything is possible. The CPU & Graphics Card are nearly defined, other components could be changed.

Could you take a look at that and tell me if this looks good to you or is there somethig negative in it? For example, is the 970 SSD really worth the speed or is the 860 enough, which has more space for almost the same money.

Graphics Card: Asus DUAL-RTX2070S-O8G-EVO (8 GB, GDDR6)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 DIMM CL16 Single (Single because he can later get another 16 GB)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD« SSD (500 GB) or Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2-PCIe« SSD (1 TB)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x 2018
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600

~ 1300 €

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :)

Hey guys :) @bsmaff

A friend of mine is about to buy a new PC on a limited budget & he can get parts from the company he is working for at a better price, so not everything is possible. The CPU & Graphics Card are nearly defined, other components could be changed.

Could you take a look at that and tell me if this looks good to you or is there somethig negative in it? For example, is the 970 SSD really worth the speed or is the 860 enough, which has more space for almost the same money.

Graphics Card: Asus DUAL-RTX2070S-O8G-EVO (8 GB, GDDR6)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 DIMM CL16 Single (Single because he can later get another 16 GB)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD« SSD (500 GB) or Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2-PCIe« SSD (1 TB)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x 2018
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600

~ 1300 €

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :)

The spec is really good and personally wouldn't change anything spec wise.
NVMe drives are pretty much the same read and write speeds across the majority of drives, I used to have 860 Evo drive and now have a 970 Pro and TBH I can't tell the difference.
Although they keep claiming the drives are faster, in the real world there is very little difference - I personally can't really tell much of a difference between NVMe and SATA SSD's despite them having 6x the read/write difference, although if I went back to a SATA SSD I probably would.

The only downside is at the moment Nvidia are about to announce their new cards.
Your friend is buying so late in the release cycle, that he is buying a 2 year old card at 2 year pricing..
Nvidia have stated the new cards coming this year, could be June/July you are going to get a 50% performance increase for the same price and guaranteeing a GFX card superior to the next gen consoles - As I reckon the next gen will be around a 2060 - 2070 performance wise.
AMD are also due to release new cards/processors this year too, but not sure when.
I am not sure on the jump of CPU performance, but their GFX cards are going to have hardware Ray Tracing for the first time and have a significant performance increase, which again bang per buck will be better than Nvidia, it is just performance wise at the high end they won't get close.

I know PC's are always changing year on year, but processors don't matter too much but GFX cards do, I would highly recommend to wait till the Nvidia announcement and see the release date of the new cards, before 100% committing to the purchase.

The spec is really good and personally wouldn't change anything spec wise.
NVMe drives are pretty much the same read and write speeds across the majority of drives, I used to have 860 Evo drive and now have a 970 Pro and TBH I can't tell the difference.
Although they keep claiming the drives are faster, in the real world there is very little difference - I personally can't really tell much of a difference between NVMe and SATA SSD's despite them having 6x the read/write difference, although if I went back to a SATA SSD I probably would.

The only downside is at the moment Nvidia are about to announce their new cards.
Your friend is buying so late in the release cycle, that he is buying a 2 year old card at 2 year pricing..
Nvidia have stated the new cards coming this year, could be June/July you are going to get a 50% performance increase for the same price and guaranteeing a GFX card superior to the next gen consoles - As I reckon the next gen will be around a 2060 - 2070 performance wise.
AMD are also due to release new cards/processors this year too, but not sure when.
I am not sure on the jump of CPU performance, but their GFX cards are going to have hardware Ray Tracing for the first time and have a significant performance increase, which again bang per buck will be better than Nvidia, it is just performance wise at the high end they won't get close.

I know PC's are always changing year on year, but processors don't matter too much but GFX cards do, I would highly recommend to wait till the Nvidia announcement and see the release date of the new cards, before 100% committing to the purchase.
Thanks m8 for the fast response. The problem with waiting is, he has a voucher from his company which expires at the end of July :D
The Graphics card actually takes the most of the budget & he can get it from his company with that voucher, which saves him about 500 €. Until his company sells the newest graphics cards, it's probably 2030 :D

Mmmh... Not a fan of that.
Unless it's a mini ITX board which only has two RAM slots (or micro ATX perhaps, although many of them have 4), I'd rather go for 2 x 8GB (and he could still add 2 x 8 GB later if needed in the two free slots).
He would hardly see a huge difference (don't expect the PC to be twice as fast) but, when possible, dual channel is the way.

@Cesc Fabregas, in my experience this is true:
Although they keep claiming the drives are faster, in the real world there is very little difference

I currently have 2x 500GB 860 EVOs and they're as fast as SSDs get at everyday use. It's all about what's useful in practice and not only in theory, so imo go for the bigger capacity SATA SSD. :)

guys , how you react when your pc freeze or crash? .. personally me every time it happens i lose 10 kilo.. especially after bought a 1300 euro pc 🙃

guys , how you react when your pc freeze or crash? .. personally me every time it happens i lose 10 kilo.. especially after bought a 1300 euro pc 🙃

I would consider doing a RAM check on your system if your having freezing issues.

My PC has not frozen since Windows ME.

I would consider doing a RAM check on your system if your having freezing issues.

My PC has not frozen since Windows ME.
i've made thousand of check..
20 times re-install windows..everything is fine..but sometimes happens (one times in a week normally)
i'm starting to think on incompatibility between part of pc

Mmmh... Not a fan of that.
Unless it's a mini ITX board which only has two RAM slots (or micro ATX perhaps, although many of them have 4), I'd rather go for 2 x 8GB (and he could still add 2 x 8 GB later if needed in the two free slots).
He would hardly see a huge difference (don't expect the PC to be twice as fast) but, when possible, dual channel is the way.

100% Agree . Ryzen loves double canal and high speed ram. With this ram defensibly he will be not enable to experiences full power of the CPU.
@Cesc Fabregas try 2x8 at least 3200 mhz memory (3600 mhz is perfect scenario), for Ryzen that is really important if you wanna use this PC for long time and future next gen games.

PS.... WOOOW the RAM prices now are crazy... At the beginning of the year when i make my PC compere with now, the ram that i use is up with 20 -40 %

Last edited:
The specs for the new Nvidia 3080Ti have been leaked online and here is the basic breakdown.

Minimum 50% graphical power increase over current 2080ti - The 50% is achieved in unoptimised games and could be a bigger gap on optimised games.
Massive 18GB VRAM.
They stated the previous generation was used as a guinea pig for specific Ray Tracing cores, and with the Ampere there will be a 4x increase in performance with Ray Tracing turned on - There is even rumours that the 3060 will outperform the 2080TI when they are both using the highest Ray Tracing setting, that is the jump made by Nvidia in Ray Tracing performance.
21 teraflops of graphical power

The specs for the new Nvidia 3080Ti have been leaked online and here is the basic breakdown.

Minimum 50% graphical power increase over current 2080ti - The 50% is achieved in unoptimised games and could be a bigger gap on optimised games.
Massive 18GB VRAM.
They stated the previous generation was used as a guinea pig for specific Ray Tracing cores, and with the Ampere there will be a 4x increase in performance with Ray Tracing turned on - There is even rumours that the 3060 will outperform the 2080TI when they are both using the highest Ray Tracing setting, that is the jump made by Nvidia in Ray Tracing performance.
Nice, today Nvidia has an event we will see more information, but looks like 3060 will be what I needed then :D Expect price around 300$

Looks like the leaks might be true about the new Nvidia cards.

The leak stated Nvidia would be making no announcement about the new cards today, and that they would be announced separately around September time.

With the new AMD chips coming in October and new Nvidia cards and a PS5, October/November is going to be a very expensive month.

EPIC Sale has now started..

Usual games available.
But you get a £10 coupon and then an additional £10 coupon when you buy a game over £14.99

So for the next few days you can get AC Odessey for an absolute bargain price of £6.49.

So for the next few days you can get AC Odessey for an absolute bargain price of £6.49.

Started playing through that again from the start, level 47 now and about 75 hours played on this save, went with Uplay+ to get all the DLC even though I already had the game via Steam Argentina! Assuming I don't have AC burnout I'll do a run through Origins when I finish this :)

Seems if you use the coupon. They'll give you another coupon. So it's always 10$ off.
Anyone tried Anno 1800. I'm on the fence in buying it for 20$. Any input I'd appreciate it.

Massive 18GB VRAM.

Woah!
I'm guess they will be around the $2.000 mark?
And will probably require suited motherboards as well. Doubt I could get one of those with my current mobo.

Got it , now the server is normal but little slow.

I started downloading GTA at 11am this morning, it's now 12 hours and it's not quite halfway! Can anyone confirm that you can resume the download later if you shutdown? I'm getting conflicting answers on google, plus when I tried to close it I get a are you sure message saying your installations will be cancelled. I could just exit and find out but after all this time to get this far I'd rather know first.

Woah!
I'm guess they will be around the $2.000 mark?
And will probably require suited motherboards as well. Doubt I could get one of those with my current mobo.

No they will work on current motherboards and pricing should be similar to what they are now.
Nvidia are apparently quite worried about the new AMD cards coming at the end of the year, as AMD have apparently made huge steps, but we will not know till the end of the year.

It will be at least a couple of years before GFX cards start using the PCIe 4 bus.

I started downloading GTA at 11am this morning, it's now 12 hours and it's not quite halfway! Can anyone confirm that you can resume the download later if you shutdown? I'm getting conflicting answers on google, plus when I tried to close it I get a are you sure message saying your installations will be cancelled. I could just exit and find out but after all this time to get this far I'd rather know first.
Pausing the download and hibernating the PC worked for me.

@majuh Thanks. I left it on overnight in the end, still not done! Currently says 81% but also says 92.5gb of 94gb downloaded, so I guess the install % includes actually installing it afterwards.

@majuhCurrently says 81% but also says 92.5gb of 94gb downloaded, so I guess the install % includes actually installing it afterwards.
Yes, it's always like that for games in the Epic Launcher. Some games need to be decrypted after they have been downloaded.

Back
Top Bottom