PES 2019 Demo Impressions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...
Catch-up bug was fixed, eh?
At 0:20.

Neymar turns around and gets past Vrsaljko, far ahead with a considerable advantage. But before you know it, in half a second, Vrsaljko catches up to him so magically.
I can't stand these things.

But you know why? Because you were constantly changing direction with him! That was present in old PES games as well. Risk and reward and i love it.

I just smoked Lovren and Van Dijk from the half way line with Falcao with a simple turn (Lovren is much easier to beat than Van Dijk on 1on1) so i just turned Lovren and ran in to the goal. There is no catch up bug at all.

But you know why? Because you were constantly changing direction with him! That was present in old PES games as well. Risk and reward and i love it.

I just smoked Lovren and Van Dijk from the half way line with Falcao with a simple turn (Lovren is much easier to beat than Van Dijk on 1on1) so i just turned Lovren and ran in to the goal. There is no catch up bug at all.
Same with the likes of salah, if the defender comes to close you can use the momentum to go past and i dont think ive seen anybody catch salah sprinting straight.. im just hoping on release they sort the AI shooting out and the static GK

Yepp its just like in real life, you have to get close to the opponent with Salah/Messi/etc with close control then wrong foot him, after that you are good to go.

Games not much fun online anymore. Seems like scripting is back, too many games where every pass intercepted and overpowered pressure means you lose ball within 2 seconds of receiving it. Just not in control anymore

Maybe its lag,Maybe its scripting. Either way demo online quick match is nothing like it was in first 2 weeks.

Games not much fun online anymore. Seems like scripting is back, too many games where every pass intercepted and overpowered pressure means you lose ball within 2 seconds of receiving it. Just not in control anymore

Maybe its lag,Maybe its scripting. Either way demo online quick match is nothing like it was in first 2 weeks.
are you suggesting they have patched the demo?

Either that or it is just server dealing with lag horribly. Either way game is not playing the same at all.

If they had patched the demo on PS4 there would have been an update that we would have had to download, I haven't seen anything pop up. I think the main factor in the change is people are finding the exploitative tactics and utilising them much more to win at all costs, even in a demo, which is sad. The amount of people I have had ping pong pass and double pressure is crazy and then when you get a lead on them, they rage quit. Its quite hilarious really.

Still having some nice games online though, if you get an opponent who isn't a cheap idiot the game play is glorious. Scored a beauty with Goretzska earlier on that is probably my first long range strike of the demo so far, really loving Schalke and their tactics, dropping Naldo back slightly in gameplan to work as a sweeper and then moving the midfield 3 into an offset DMF, CMF, AMF really works nicely. With the wide midfielders as wing backs it has a very nice balance even against the front 3 spammers.

For anyone who cares, here is the Goretzska goal :)

So...
Catch-up bug was fixed, eh?
At 0:20.

Neymar turns around and gets past Vrsaljko, far ahead with a considerable advantage. But before you know it, in half a second, Vrsaljko catches up to him so magically.
I can't stand these things.

Just checked out that nice patch. Too bad Real, Juve, PSG tactics arent set up. They play like low teams, very easy to beat them.

If they had patched the demo on PS4 there would have been an update that we would have had to download, I haven't seen anything pop up. I think the main factor in the change is people are finding the exploitative tactics and utilising them much more to win at all costs, even in a demo, which is sad.

Agree. There's no way they're going to patch a demo.

No one can deny that PES gameplay is better than fifa, it s just so satisfying how the players move on the pitch, the way the build up play is, it just feels more satisfying than fifa, but the problem is that this game shines only when manual passing and manual shooting is used, something which is very hard to get used to, i simply can t play manual, i always end up with miscrossing, passes going astray, crosses going as shots and not as cross, all of this...and professional difficulty is simply too easy even with manual passing, the ai is so passive at those difficulties tbh

Sounds like real football.

;) header examples coming below but the reason for this post is that yet again, after resigning myself to not buying the game because of the ML fiasco my last excuse would be that if playing online in the full game was an idiot fest then it really wouldn't be worth my time. So naturally, i fired up the demo last night and switched off the PA matchmaking filter and the very first game I played was against your typical ping pong, chip exploit muppet.

(i've trimmed this video to cut the opening crap out but youtube is still processing it after 2hours)

As you can see, I set up as a defensive 5-3-2, i've been using that or a 4-1-4-1 all throughout the demo just trying to see if you actually can play a defensive style and do well, my record is really good against fellow manual players but this is the first time i've tried against someone with assistance, i was absolutely expecting to be walloped especially when i saw the formation being used by my opponent

DlM1FrKUcAAT0-4.jpg

Within 5 minutes my opponent had already tried to chip his way through my defence, his second attacking attempt doing the same annoyingly paid off after I made a genuine mistake, i usually hammer anything in that position with a Square clearance but for some reason i had a brain fart, he got a lucky break and used the cheapest chip shot exploit in the book.

Normally if i concede i struggle to get back into the game because i set up so defensively, luckily for me this dudes formation is so ridiculous, I just changed my attack from centre to wide to get the most of those attacking full backs

it's a bit end to end, but i score a overhead volley with Zapata from a corner at the start of the second half and then with 5 minutes on the clock i score the scrappiest of crappy goals you will ever see, to me, to beat a player who uses cheap exploits is joyous enough, but to win the the crappiest of legitimate goals is fantastic, I genuinely punched the air with delight knowing that I can defend my way against chumps and get a result. my dilemma now is do i buy the game for online? or is it not going to be like this when everyone gets hold of it???

as for the manual heading, looking at my video back i'll have to go back on my completely broken comment because it's not so bad, however it is pretty inconsistent.

first header attempt was a weird looping shot, it does feel like you see this quite a lot on manual but perhaps considering the player position being slightly ahead of the cross, this is the appropriate header?

second attempt is exactly what I wanted from my input, a downward header towards the corner, no complaints here

next one is another weird looping header, not what i wanted at all but i guess really there was no real shooting opportunity from that position or angle

finally another sortof looper, but perhaps actually quite a realisitic outcome

as for the manual heading, looking at my video back i'll have to go back on my completely broken comment because it's not so bad, however it is pretty inconsistent.

first header attempt was a weird looping shot, it does feel like you see this quite a lot on manual but perhaps considering the player position being slightly ahead of the cross, this is the appropriate header?

second attempt is exactly what I wanted from my input, a downward header towards the corner, no complaints here

next one is another weird looping header, not what i wanted at all but i guess really there was no real shooting opportunity from that position or angle

finally another sortof looper, but perhaps actually quite a realisitic outcome

The last one looked really good though imo. The first looked very weird. But the thing is that the players are stationary as well, they don't attack the ball if you know what I mean?

Last edited:
The last one looked really good though imo. The first look very weird. But the thing is that the players are stationary as well, they don't attack the ball if you know what I mean?

i did actually like the look of the last one yeah, i guess these examples aren't the best. maybe the best criticism i can give over the various games i've played is that the game decides to use the looping header slightly too often, I have no idea whether that is down to my input or not however

I've still not managed to play the demo but in 2018 on manual, square needed to be pressed later than you'd expect for headers to work. Otherwise they'd totally shank it or take a touch. Not sure if that might help with 2019

;) header examples coming below but the reason for this post is that yet again, after resigning myself to not buying the game because of the ML fiasco my last excuse would be that if playing online in the full game was an idiot fest then it really wouldn't be worth my time. So naturally, i fired up the demo last night and switched off the PA matchmaking filter and the very first game I played was against your typical ping pong, chip exploit muppet.....

having played myclub it makes sense for me to conclude that the people that play regularly are addicted to this ultimately fruitless task of creating a black ball squad.

the addicts are definitely going to be the ones buying the new game and starting afresh

the annual pitfall of each previous PES is that the player base moves on too fast making matchmaking impossible, hence, i feel "forced" to move to the next

this is also one of the pitfalls of gaming leagues that insist on players having the latest pes

with 8 days to go til release, it may be useful to work out just who exactly here will be sticking with PES 2018 because, when most of the addicts move on it could be the start of something fresh in PES 2018.

and to the guys who post up how they can't manage manual - it took me maybe 3 months on-off play before i scored a goal on FUMA. you should look at it like breaking the ice of the game. in the same way that other games have long sections of game before you get into the meat of the product (e.g. reaching Lv 70 in diablo or Lv 30 in the division). keep at it.

What I'd like to see addressed in the full game are:
Ai Keepers not coming off their line ln 1v1 situations.
Ai not having enough shot variety (particularly outside the box)
Ai don't seem to utilise dribbling effectively.

Goal post shadowing is not consistent with other object shadows.

my dilemma now is do i buy the game for online? or is it not going to be like this when everyone gets hold of it???

I've been in this state of thinking for the last 4-5 yrs prior to each release. I've just had enough of the crap offline AI year on year, it holds my attention less and less with each edition.

My advice would be if you've been getting a great connection 8 out of 10 matches in online Pes (consistently over the last 3yrs say) then that's a massive plus. This years game seems to able to let you deal with most of the daft nonsense opponents try to pull ie. exploits from previous yrs, connection is king.
For me my games are extremely hit and miss when it comes to lag. And even the smallest bit of lag fucks the game up beyond playable imo. It's not a fun experience at all in those games.

The other major factor I derived from last years Beta > release is the scripting/momentum.
I enjoyed the beta so, so much last year. Zero lag, and minimal script. Then the full release was absolutely horrific. Polar opposites. If the same happens this year, I'm staying well clear.
I'm gonna wait a few days after release, and listen to what my mates think about the online before I decide.

I've had some really good games today after a formation tweak to the opposition's team (Flamengo)- fluid formation on - wingers made to wide midfielders without the ball and fullbacks made to wide midfielders when in possession. I've set my to team to mark their wingers and fullbacks/wide midfielders and I seem to be getting more variety from the opposition, a lot more play down the middle. Also, at 0-0 they often bring everyone back to defend so it's more tactical for my team to break them down. Really enjoyable stuff, just wish there was a global editor for the ps4.

People celebrating these kind of goals should be forbidden from playing football games https://twitter.com/ID7Kun/status/1031251110831562757

Disagree, we have to remember that PES and FIFA aren't there for you and me, and there are those who want to enjoy playing this type of way. If someone enjoys scoring a goal like this so be it, they paid money for the game and should be allowed to get enjoyment from it.

While i don't like the direction of travel of PES, i accept that the game wasn't made for me.

I've had some really good games today after a formation tweak to the opposition's team (Flamengo)- fluid formation on - wingers made to wide midfielders without the ball and fullbacks made to wide midfielders when in possession. I've set my to team to mark their wingers and fullbacks/wide midfielders and I seem to be getting more variety from the opposition, a lot more play down the middle. Also, at 0-0 they often bring everyone back to defend so it's more tactical for my team to break them down. Really enjoyable stuff, just wish there was a global editor for the ps4.

Nice find. Gonna try this out a little later. I’m used to spending hours editing player positions and tactics to achieve a more realistic gameplay (shout out to Matt10l) so I hear you about the global editor.

Played with Barcelona and changed tiki-taka to False 9, swapped Messi to amc and put Coutinho to lwf. Long ball build up play. What a difference in gameplay! Played few matches against Liverpool and the game really shines. Can't wait to play longer matches on full game :)

;) header examples coming below but the reason for this post is that yet again, after resigning myself to not buying the game because of the ML fiasco my last excuse would be that if playing online in the full game was an idiot fest then it really wouldn't be worth my time. So naturally, i fired up the demo last night and switched off the PA matchmaking filter and the very first game I played was against your typical ping pong, chip exploit muppet.

(i've trimmed this video to cut the opening crap out but youtube is still processing it after 2hours)

As you can see, I set up as a defensive 5-3-2, i've been using that or a 4-1-4-1 all throughout the demo just trying to see if you actually can play a defensive style and do well, my record is really good against fellow manual players but this is the first time i've tried against someone with assistance, i was absolutely expecting to be walloped especially when i saw the formation being used by my opponent

DlM1FrKUcAAT0-4.jpg

Within 5 minutes my opponent had already tried to chip his way through my defence, his second attacking attempt doing the same annoyingly paid off after I made a genuine mistake, i usually hammer anything in that position with a Square clearance but for some reason i had a brain fart, he got a lucky break and used the cheapest chip shot exploit in the book.

Normally if i concede i struggle to get back into the game because i set up so defensively, luckily for me this dudes formation is so ridiculous, I just changed my attack from centre to wide to get the most of those attacking full backs

it's a bit end to end, but i score a overhead volley with Zapata from a corner at the start of the second half and then with 5 minutes on the clock i score the scrappiest of crappy goals you will ever see, to me, to beat a player who uses cheap exploits is joyous enough, but to win the the crappiest of legitimate goals is fantastic, I genuinely punched the air with delight knowing that I can defend my way against chumps and get a result. my dilemma now is do i buy the game for online? or is it not going to be like this when everyone gets hold of it???

Quality! I bet you enjoyed that. the Barca player was really silly not to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom