PES 2019 VS FIFA 19 - Which one won the battle this year?

Which one won the footy battle this year?

• FIFA 19

• PES 2019

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chuny

-
11 December 2007
Now that we've pretty much reached the lifespan of each title and with rumours and news starting to surface about the future of these two games, I thought it'd be nice to have a final answer from the Evo-Webbers. A democratic solution, if you will...

Please vote away-
Simple, it's one or the other.
If you want to elaborate, please do so.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I was resisting Fifa for a long time.
I was giving Pes19 a chance again and again and again. I stuck with it from the get go till DP4. Finally it crushed me.
Every now and again I go back to see if there are any improvements. And there's none.

With Fifa I had to look pass ball physics, lack of fouls, physicality, weird animations, players on rail, not a great dribbling...

...and even with all these flaws - at the end of the day Fifa is much more enjoyable game to play, with human AI, fantastic presentation and great shot variety.

Final werdict is Fifa. Not that Fifa is so good this year - but coz Pes is so fucking bad.

As a 90% online player it's definitely Pes 19 this year for me. Not because it's so great (it's decent. A 7/10 gameplay wise for me) but because Fifa 19 is so damn bad.
I know a lot of people who stopped playing Fifa really soon after release and they were usually "all year FUT players". There is so much wrong with this game I could talk about it all day long (the new timed finishing, El tornado crosses!!!, ai defending etc.) the game has barely something to do with football.
Also the momentum and scripting is a lot worse than in Pes. In Pes you have the chance to defend it at least a little bit. In Fifa? No chance. If the opponent gets that slider boost you will concede 100 %.

There are a lot of videos about it on YouTube. Fifa 19 IS the worst (Online) Fifa in history. So easy win for Pes this year.

There is so much wrong with this game I could talk about it all day long (the new timed finishing, El tornado crosses!!!, ai defending etc.) the game has barely something to do with football.
Also the momentum and scripting is a lot worse than in Pes. In Pes you have the chance to defend it at least a little bit. In Fifa? No chance. If the opponent gets that slider boost you will concede 100 %.
Literally the opposite is true in my opinion. In FIFA online matches, you can actually be successful with a realistic build up play, while in PES your best bet is hoofing the ball down the field. The scripting in PES is also much worse than momentum in FIFA.

Clear winner for me is Fifa.
I am not as annoyed by ball physics as other people here are. What bothers me the most, is the lack of fouls but it is not gamebreaking for me, as the rest of the game is pretty good for me. Variety in play and shots, atmosphere, number of stadiums, and so on. The overall package is just miles ahead PES.
For Fifa 20 I really hope that EA just cares a little bit more of the manager mode. I am not so naive to believe they would do a complete overhaul, but even some little tweaks would make it far more enjoyable for me. Just yesterday I played against Barca in my career mode and missed Messi. Took a look afterwards and noticed, that he just played 3 games, and half of the season was already over. This and some other things can't be so hard to fix, if they just want to.
Here and there I start a friendly game in PES 19, but mostly I don't play more than one half. It is just to one-dimensional. No variety, lack of penalties, and all these other half-assed stuff combined with lousy PR makes it unplayable for me. The really bad thing is, under the surface you can see how good this game could be, if Konami just would take a little more care about it.
I do not write much here, as I mostly don't have any constructive to say what isn't said before, but I'm reading here contantly. I even bought PES 17 (same seller as PRO_TOO I think , as I paid exactly the same amount :) ) just for the feeling to have some nice PES moments, but in the end I always come back to Fifa 19 again.
At the moment I really can't imagine to get another PES the forthcoming years, if EA does not mess something completely up. I don't want to take the trouble with option files, duplicated players and so on anymore, if I can have the complete package from EA. I am to old for this shit.

Now that we've pretty much reached the lifespan of each title and with rumours and news starting to surface about the future of these two games, I thought it'd be nice to have a final answer from the Evo-Webbers. A democratic solution, if you will...

Please vote away-
Simple, it's one or the other.
If you want to elaborate, please do so.

maxresdefault.jpg
I think a lot of people who don't like PES 2019 would never vote for FIFA because of a stigma that will never go away. I'd have included a "neither" option - I'd bet that'd be #1, PES #2 and FIFA #3...

Literally the opposite is true in my opinion. In FIFA online matches, you can actually be successful with a realistic build up play, while in PES your best bet is hoofing the ball down the field. The scripting in PES is also much worse than momentum in FIFA.

Realistic build up play in Fifa 19 online ???
Im only playing Pes 19 on full manual so can't talk about assisted settings. On full manual Pes online is pretty decent. I managed to get 132 wins and only 22 losses on online seasons. With a win ratio of 73 %. Almost every game felt pretty fair. Sometimes you have the feeling that you or your opponent gets a little burst but it doesn't feel overpowered and it seems that its still "better player wins". In Fifa which I have played on assisted settings to be fair I couldn't even celebrate my wins because it just felt so cheated. There is even this thing called kick off glitch where you score a goal and your opponent instantly scores a goal after kick off because his players suddenly get this huge boost. And as I said I'm not the only one with this opinion. Fifa 19 is the most hated fifa in history by far. Even big (German) fifa you tubers hate it and also a few esport players think it's one of the worst in history.

Im only playing Pes 19 on full manual so can't talk about assisted settings. On full manual Pes online is pretty decent.
That would be the only way id consider playing Pes online. On manual it felt decent. Even with a bust, if you cant pass - you cant pass. I only wish there was more filters for it. I shouldnt be "afraid" that ill annoy people if I have advanced or basic shooting, while having manual passes and through balls. There should be filter for all settings.

I've come back to FIFA 19 - the variation is just so much better. i have a mix of sliders that i have tweaked and seeing some nice play and some really realistic goals (and misses). From a fouls point of view there aren't enough (compared to PES 17) but i still get more that 2019 and had 3 penalties in last 10 or so games. Think i have had 1 pen is 2019 right at the beginning and non since the second patch. People say they get loads on Twitter inc pens so it must be me

That would be the only way id consider playing Pes online. On manual it felt decent. Even with a bust, if you cant pass - you cant pass. I only wish there was more filters for it. I shouldnt be "afraid" that ill annoy people if I have advanced or basic shooting, while having manual passes and through balls. There should be filter for all settings.

Yep that's the point. There is just a much bigger skill gap on full manual. I only concede 0.38 goals per game because you can defend really good by closing the passing lanes and the gaps. I was surprised that Konami did something really good with one of the latest patches. They changed the color of the passing and shooting bar so you can finally see when someone is using advanced shooting. But I'm not too mad about people who use that. If I see someone who plays on assisted shooting I just also switch to it which can be a nice variety from time to time but it happens really rarely.

I have to add that I have made all these good experiences with Online divisions.
I also tried MyClub at the beginning of Pes 19 but it was horrible. Everyone (including me) had a superstar team after 3 weeks and the games also felt pretty cheated even on Fuma. I think that has something to do with the team chemistry. There were a lot of games where me or the opponent had that pressing boost where you just had to press x and the players got after the ball like maniacs. So I think there is some thing like momentum/scripting in MyClub but not in online divisions.
My win lose ratio is also pretty different in both modes. In online divisions its 73 like I said and in MyClub only around 50.
Now I don't want you guys to get the impression that I only moan about momentum when I lose. Its not like that.
In Fifa for example I also had a good record but I didn't even like my wins there as it just felt not right. There were games where my opponent hit the post 4 times in 1 game but I won 4:3 and other times where it was the opposite but I lost. Now that wouldn't even be that much of a problem if it would happen in 1 game out of 50. But in Fifa these "unbelievable" games are normal. It's harder to have a normal 2:1 there than a 5:4 with 4 times crossbar, a goal after kick off and a bicycle kick.

I think a lot of people who don't like PES 2019 would never vote for FIFA because of a stigma that will never go away. I'd have included a "neither" option - I'd bet that'd be #1, PES #2 and FIFA #3...

I'd rather they stayed out of this thread then, no offense Chris.
I'm interested in seeing which title took the L and which one was more enjoyable and/or realistic.
That's why I didn't really like that comment above saying "PES 2017 is the winner". Not what I'm interested in analysing here.

I know that making such a poll in a, mostly PES biased forum is ballsy to say the least.
If I would've conducted the same one in the SG forum, then FIFA would probably win.
But still I'd expect people to get rid of their stigma and just be honest. Nobody's judging you, it's just a matter of taste.

Speaking of which... what's yours such Chris Davies?
I assume you'll go for the same one as me this time around.

I'd rather they stayed out of this thread then, no offense Chris.
But they definitely won't stay out. That's my point. I would bet you hard money that half of the guys who vote for PES won't have even tried the demo of FIFA, and some won't even like this year's PES. But they'll vote for it anyway. If you at least give them a cop-out answer, so they can register displeasure at PES without "having" to vote FIFA, you'd get a more realistic result...
Speaking of which... what's yours such Chris Davies?
I assume you'll go for the same one as me this time around.
One of them I'm still playing, the other I was really enjoying until February and a patch seemingly made the AI play like robots with lasers in their boots. There's only one answer for me, unfortunately (and I say "unfortunately" because I only joined this place because of a love of PES)...

But they definitely won't stay out. That's my point. I would bet you hard money that half of the guys who vote for PES won't have even tried the demo of FIFA, and some won't even like this year's PES. But they'll vote for it anyway. If you at least give them a cop-out answer, so they can register displeasure at PES without "having" to vote FIFA, you'd get a more realistic result...

One of them I'm still playing, the other I was really enjoying until February and a patch seemingly made the AI play like robots with lasers in their boots. There's only one answer for me, unfortunately (and I say "unfortunately" because I only joined this place because of a love of PES)...

I definitely think that 14 (FIFA) to 20 (PES) in a PES site is almost a win for FIFA, even if only a few hours have gone by since I created this thread.

Anyways, yeah. I'm with you there.

You know, it doesn't matter which game I'm playing now or which one I was playing before. The fact is that I've played my fair share of both of them. Dedicated months to one of them first, then to the other one, then full circle again.
And I've always remained stuck with this feeling that both games were actually SO CLOSE to getting it right (on the pitch).
Both were lacking in different areas. But, it's like... if they hadn't released the games when they did, if they would've taken more time to refine things, polish everything, test everything...... if only.

There is even this thing called kick off glitch where you score a goal and your opponent instantly scores a goal after kick off because his players suddenly get this huge boost.
It's a myth.

And as I said I'm not the only one with this opinion. Fifa 19 is the most hated fifa in history by far. Even big (German) fifa you tubers hate it and also a few esport players think it's one of the worst in history.
They're hating it for the clicks and because they fail to grasp that football is actually a pretty random sport.

It's a myth.

They're hating it for the clicks and because they fail to grasp that football is actually a pretty random sport.

Of course it's a myth as EA would never admit this. But did you play at least 100 games in Fifa 19 Ultimate Team online to say that there are no slider changes and everything is completely fair? (of course I know that a little bit of randomness in football is normal but not to this extent)

The thing is I don't want to discuss about the existing of Momentum/Scripting in FIFA Online with you. I think everyone has to make his own experiences with it and has to decide if it's a problem or if he can live with it and have fun with the game. (or even doesn't even notice it)

The only thing I don't get by the "there is no thing like Momentum" people is that they always act like that would be impossible for EA to programm or that this is such a conspiracy.
FIFA has Sliders. FIFA even has a thing called "Dynamic Difficulty Adjustments" which is only used in Offline gameplay (at least thats what EA says).
Now what I don't get is why people think it's so hard to programm a thing like "if Player 1 scores increase his shot error slider from 50 to 70".
Or "If Player 1 scores increase his First touch error slider from 50 to 60" for example.
I think even the trainee at EA could programm such a formula.
Racing games such as Need for Speed also have this Rubberband AI where the player behind catches up more easily.

But again I don't want to start a discussion about it as I think everybody should just play let's say 100 games in Fifa Ultimate Team and decide for himself. All I see at Internet forums is that more and more people are convinced that these slider changes exist. In Fifa 14 where I noticed it the first time there were only like about 30 % of players who stated this as a problem. Now a few years later I think it's more like 70 % of people do believe there is some "slider change" or whatever you want to call it. Even a lot of guys I know personally have the same opinion now and they were also like "thats some bs from bad players" at the beginning.

Now even if we say that there isn't a thing like Momentum in the game.. a gameplay like the one posted above from this dude who played just this one game after weeks would absolutely be no fun for me.
There is an "El Tornado Cross" goal, a goal directly at kick off after the other player scored, the score is 4:3 after just 60 minutes and so on...
Looks absolutely no fun to me.

Unfortunately Pes goes the same route in Myclub but at least in online divisions at Full Manual I have my fun with it and don't feel cheated to an extent that it's a huge problem.

Unfortunately Pes goes the same route in Myclub but at least in online divisions at Full Manual I have my fun with it and don't feel cheated to an extent that it's a huge problem
Pes is as scripted, if not more than Fifa.
Both online and offline. It's not as obvious and in your face in Fifa offline. You can still have enjoyable career mode there. Pes19 went completely over the top with this shit.

Bottom line is - Pes is much more enjoyable and accessible on manual. That's the only reason you are experiencing the difference.
I know you said it in your first post, but I dont think this discussion had to go into analysis of momentum. Coz its present in both games and its equally bad.
Pes is a winner for you simply because of manual controls, which are covering the momentum (to a point) and which are indeed better there.

Off topic question - since they changed Advanced Shooting colour - how do you know people are on manual or advanced shooting? Arent they same colour now?

Pes is as scripted, if not more than Fifa.
Both online and offline. It's not as obvious and in your face in Fifa offline. You can still have enjoyable career mode there. Pes19 went completely over the top with this shit.

Bottom line is - Pes is much more enjoyable and accessible on manual. That's the only reason you are experiencing the difference.
I know you said it in your first post, but I dont think this discussion had to go into analysis of momentum. Coz its present in both games and its equally bad.
Pes is a winner for you simply because of manual controls, which are covering the momentum (to a point) and which are indeed better there.

Off topic question - since they changed Advanced Shooting colour - how do you know people are on manual or advanced shooting? Arent they same colour now?

Yep you are right there. I think the manual controls are covering the scripting because like you said before if you can't pass you cant pass there is no help for that.

I just don't understand why Pes goes the same route. I know a lot of people who would switch to Pes if it would be a completely fair game with no boost for anyone. But the fifa players also heard about the fact that Pes is also using heavy scripting so why should they switch then?

I just don't get Konamis marketing here. I think they could even use the fact that fifa is unfair and create marketing sentences like "Pes. Where the better player wins." or "Pes. The fair game" stupid sentences here but you get my point. :D
They could use this to get a lot of the fifa players with a decent and fair game off and online.
But what are Konami doing instead?
Copying fifa...
Why do they think they sell more if they are a copy of the original??? Why not play the original then if it's almost the same but you have licenses etc..
Do your fcking own game Konami with your own vision.

To your question emroth.
Manual is orange now and advanced is yellow. So you see exactly what your opponent is using. Before that everything was yellow except assisted of course.

The other thing in fifa is the difference in teams. The differences in top teams and lower teams stand out where in pes any team can play as good as barca when they need to.

Spot on!
Player individuality and Team ID are a lot better on FIFA.
Funny because it used to be exactly the opposite until 6-7 years ago.

Been playing FIFA since 2016 and FIFA 17 was cool and imo FIFA 18 was the best out of all the 3 fifa's I played. FIFA 19 is so bad that it made me try out a meme (which was pes), and PES has actually been good and I love it.

It's all subjective as I think fifa 19 is the best since 16. 17 was woeful and 18 not much better. Pes 17 was great I played a mix of pes 17 and 18 and started with pes 19 until fifa was released. Been back and forth a bit as both were 19s were garbage on release but fifa patches have provided constant improvements were as pes has actually gone backwards since Feb to a point where its as bad now as it was on release. Konami are a strange bunch

Of course it's a myth as EA would never admit this. But did you play at least 100 games in Fifa 19 Ultimate Team online to say that there are no slider changes and everything is completely fair? (of course I know that a little bit of randomness in football is normal but not to this extent)

The thing is I don't want to discuss about the existing of Momentum/Scripting in FIFA Online with you. I think everyone has to make his own experiences with it and has to decide if it's a problem or if he can live with it and have fun with the game. (or even doesn't even notice it)

The only thing I don't get by the "there is no thing like Momentum" people is that they always act like that would be impossible for EA to programm or that this is such a conspiracy.
FIFA has Sliders. FIFA even has a thing called "Dynamic Difficulty Adjustments" which is only used in Offline gameplay (at least thats what EA says).
Now what I don't get is why people think it's so hard to programm a thing like "if Player 1 scores increase his shot error slider from 50 to 70".
Or "If Player 1 scores increase his First touch error slider from 50 to 60" for example.
I think even the trainee at EA could programm such a formula.
Racing games such as Need for Speed also have this Rubberband AI where the player behind catches up more easily.

But again I don't want to start a discussion about it as I think everybody should just play let's say 100 games in Fifa Ultimate Team and decide for himself. All I see at Internet forums is that more and more people are convinced that these slider changes exist. In Fifa 14 where I noticed it the first time there were only like about 30 % of players who stated this as a problem. Now a few years later I think it's more like 70 % of people do believe there is some "slider change" or whatever you want to call it. Even a lot of guys I know personally have the same opinion now and they were also like "thats some bs from bad players" at the beginning.

Now even if we say that there isn't a thing like Momentum in the game.. a gameplay like the one posted above from this dude who played just this one game after weeks would absolutely be no fun for me.
There is an "El Tornado Cross" goal, a goal directly at kick off after the other player scored, the score is 4:3 after just 60 minutes and so on...
Looks absolutely no fun to me.

Unfortunately Pes goes the same route in Myclub but at least in online divisions at Full Manual I have my fun with it and don't feel cheated to an extent that it's a huge problem.
Yes, I agree that there is momentum in FIFA. I don't believe in kick off glitches, though, because this stuff can be defended 95% of the time.

Momentum in FIFA feels way more subtle to me than scripting in PES. Last week in a PES myClub match, I absolutely trashed my opponent in the first half, and usually when I'm up by 3 goals, I simply give the ball away because I don't want to humiliate my opponent. The thing is, I wasn't able to lose the ball. Regardless of which button I pressed, the ball always came back to me. I tried passing, crossing and shooting into no man's land, but his defenders always magically got out of the way. To top it all off, I ended up scoring a free kick I actually wanted to shoot into the stands. The poor guy was so frustrated he disconnected during half time.

I only play PA1 in PES and semi in FIFA.

Yes, I agree that there is momentum in FIFA. I don't believe in kick off glitches, though, because this stuff can be defended 95% of the time.

Momentum in FIFA feels way more subtle to me than scripting in PES. Last week in a PES myClub match, I absolutely trashed my opponent in the first half, and usually when I'm up by 3 goals, I simply give the ball away because I don't want to humiliate my opponent. The thing is, I wasn't able to lose the ball. Regardless of which button I pressed, the ball always came back to me. I tried passing, crossing and shooting into no man's land, but his defenders always magically got out of the way. To top it all off, I ended up scoring a free kick I actually wanted to shoot into the stands. The poor guy was so frustrated he disconnected during half time.

I only play PA1 in PES and semi in FIFA.
With much respect, i only disagree in the kick-off glitch part. I have not played any FuT neither i have any experience on FIFA online, but this kick-off glitch is the most common complain i read, from any kind of FIFA player. There is also a tutorial about how to perform it. It seems difficult to believe that so much people belong to the other 5% part.

Last edited:
With much respect, i only disagree in the kick-off glitch part. I have not played any FuT neither i have any experience on FIFA online, but this kick-off glitch is the most common complain i read, from any kind of FIFA player. There is also a tutorial about how to perform it. It seems difficult to believe that so much people belong to the other 5% part.
I don't see why this attacking play should be called a kick-off glitch. You can always initiate these player runs, not only after a kick-off, and the way to defend it is always the same. You either drop your defensive line deeper, or you trigger an offside trap, or you manually track the striker with a defender.

When I talked about the "kick off glitch" I thought about something different. I didn't think about a special attacking pattern that works every time. Just watch the video I posted above. At around 5:56 minutes player 1 scores a goal. Directly after kick off player 2 counters that goal and scores the 2:2.
That's what I was talking about like posted above its just that equalizers after kick off happen way too often to be random. It's clear to see if you play the game yourself that the player who conceded the goal(either you or your opponent) gets a boost after he conceded and that's why it happens so often that a goal is scored directly after kick off.

Back
Top Bottom