(PODCAST) The Evo-Web Interviews

Great podcasts, boys! I had a blast listening to both rockstrongo and the B-Man guy, it just feels bad for Chris, cuz he had to endure this B-Man dude for an hour.
:LMAO:

That bit was fine, it was the three days of editing out all of the swearing (so that the podcast is accepted by more platforms) that was the problem.

I was just going to beep it all, but then it became morse code, and as it turns out, it spelled out the "fuck" repeatedly. So I had to get creative...

If it really takes off and if people will still be showing interest after a while, there are ways to spread the wings there.
We could talk about Fifa, or make specifically focused podcasts (invite Matt, to talk exclusively about sliders, Chuny and Incas about their mods) or just find some random topics for discussion.
It could incorporate youtube and all other fun stuff. But like Chris said - lets not be too hasty. Quite often ideas like this ignite with a huge fire and then, before everyone knows, its out.

Im sure Chris would find some trigger word to set you off. Like "pes sliders", or something, just to get you going. ;)

THe hamburger analogy is a bad one. Here in Belgium there are franchises with quality hamburgers and they are very succesfull.
That was also the succes of PES in PS2 era.

So they are probably trying to differentiate themselves from McD with serving something of quality?!

What about other stuff:
Does the food come with toys, do they have a playground in/by the restaurant, does the whole thing resemble something out of a cartoon?

If no, that's exactely the point with the analogy: you don't have to copy McDonald's to be succesfull, just serve something different and of quality. It may not attract all the kids but it might attract people who know better.

Too elitist? :WHISTLE:

If no, that's exactely the point with the analogy: you don't have to copy McDonald's to be succesfull, just serve something different and of quality. It may not attract all the kids but it might attract people who know better.
Exactly my point, thank you for putting it better than I could! If you deliberately try to clone something in every way because you know that's what everyone wants, you could pull it off and it won't matter because - if you're identical - people would always go to the original. They'll only come to you if you're different.

If you offer me a Big Mac, and someone else offers me a Big Jack, and they're identical, well... I know what the Big Mac is and always have. Why would I go for the other option? Maybe if it's cheaper, but at video-game prices, is a $10 difference going to matter? Probably not.

Whereas if that second person offers you something genuinely different, maybe even unforgettable... Then it's an alternative, and over time, that alternative may become the preference. That's the only way to do it - be unique.

It's a nice thought but I think this is definitely running before we can walk. We're not at the end of one series of podcasts yet and there's talk of YouTube and vid-casts etc... Looking at the listener numbers, there's not as much appetite as we'd like to think (although it's early days and regardless, I'm happy to be contributing something to the community).
Hi CD, btw great podcasts Thanks very much to @rockstrongo @B-Man. As i spend most of my time in editing, lets assume you got a interview with Juce i predict your numbers would go through the roof. or even our own mods superleeds or Hawke would create massive interest if it was known to the editing community.

There's also the fact that - as I've said over here - the mods here use a lot of free time as it is, I'm spending my free time editing the podcasts at the minute. ..Maybe when the new game is released, if there's a hunger for streams etc. The mods used on the channel would be consisted of reliable members who just happen to be in the live chat (known as spanners) as for yourself you could have much or less input as you like even if it was just down to you accepting an invite to come on and give your thoughts now and then, as you say you are busy with this and dont get me wrong it is appreciated.

we could try it, but why would you watch videos of the game when you can just... play the game. I mean like informative videos like... how to/editing/news. Our mod Hawke as made plenty of videos helping people editing already on youtube.

My prediction is - there's interest now because it's pre-release time, everyone's favourite time of year. The game will be released, hype will fall through the floor, and interest in content will too. Just my gut feeling (and that's not to mention the fact that, when you're analysing one game - or even one series - you start to repeat everything within a few weeks, it's why the Footy United guys packed in).

Well for starters after the many updates we receive from konami each year we could debate the thoughts of each update, and also there is many members who we would like to meet. Also this channel like the site i would hope would take fifa into the workings of the channel as well. Rome wasnt built in a day but i am just putting the idea out there.

While we are at it, let’s have a merchandise section! Let’s do group travels! Have a annual meeting! What about bumper sticker? Can we get commercial time on tv please? Can we have a twitch account as well?
;)

Edit: I just noticed...
what Chris said!!!

Thats too much to ask :D, however if you want to put the site and its members in a better light & with likeable characters you can win the doubters over, as you appeal to a wider audience.

Another fantastic episode. I feel like either that was heavily edited (Which @Chris Davies confirmed due to the swearing) or @B-Man was a lot more conservative in his views on the game. I was expecting an absolute burial by him but he was actually quite insightful and neutral on this appearance. Maybe he was just being polite & reserves taking the gloves off & savagery for Footy United. :LMAO:

As for outlets for the show, I heard YouTube mentioned a couple of times and whilst you want to tap in as many markets as possible when you're releasing a project, and It wouldn't do any harm to post it on there but YouTube may be better served posting 4 or 5 minute clips of the podcast as a taster?

The only problem is, People who want to listen to podcasts already know where they'll go to find them and how to listen to them. YouTube for audio shows are only really effective if you have a massive following already, people either subscribe because you've already got equity and they're a fan of your personality or you have some kind of video accompaniment like a video chat or a studio or something.

No matter what it's going to be difficult as a sophisticated discussion on a modestly popular football game but not a household worldwide phenomenon like FIFA or a variety of games in general is always going to a niche and we're in the minority. Even PES Universe who have a massive 30k followers on Twitter don't get close to that much engagement on their podcast on Soundcloud compared to their Twitter engagement. They do respectably on Soundcloud with between 100-300 plays per episode but compared to the user base of PES 2019, That's a drop in the ocean.

I sadly don't think there's much of a mainstream demand for a football gaming podcast, People would rather watch videos and streams of opening packs and screaming obnoxiously.

I sadly don't think there's much of a mainstream demand for a football gaming podcast, People would rather watch videos and streams of opening packs and screaming obnoxiously.
Thank you for injecting some reality here!

I've enjoyed these interviews (next one should be along very soon) but they're a little gift for us, for this community, for everyone on here whose posts I've read down the years. (I mean, it'd be great if we were heard and cared about by Konami - but as I said before, we don't represent $$$ so we won't get there. But I will try, in whatever little ways we can muster.)

I don't really care about the rest of the community outside of Evo-Web.
I mean, would be great if everybody was in tune with us, and on board... listening and commenting on each episode. But I won't lose any sleep over it.

I just enjoy these podcasts for what they are. Made by us, for us.
Only thing I'd want from outside of Evo-Web, is someone from Konami/PES team to have a listen to 1 or 2 of these, once the saga is complete.

Very well done @B-Man
Listened to ep two on Spotify while having a few hours on the beach.
And once again I'm impressed by the amount of time you spent just getting introduction and intro Chris,not to mention a whole episode (s)
Can't wait to hear more man

Thank you for injecting some reality here!

I've enjoyed these interviews (next one should be along very soon) but they're a little gift for us, for this community, for everyone on here whose posts I've read down the years. (I mean, it'd be great if we were heard and cared about by Konami - but as I said before, we don't represent $$$ so we won't get there. But I will try, in whatever little ways we can muster.)
Absolutely, Even if it's just our thing, It's been a treat to put voices to names and hear those personified elaborations on the Evo-Webbers perspectives of the franchise.

Just remember Chris, in 20 years, Football games are going to be completely unimaginable - Especially from a direction we're already in from now. Maybe it'll get so ruthlessly capitalist that these games won't even ship with a digital football to even participate in a match with, You'll have to purchase that as separate DLC.

Maybe that'll be the last straw and the uprising against sleazy game developers begins, and those same fans will discover this podcast from 20 years earlier and have their minds blown that we predicted this would happen like Orwell's 1984.

I don't really care about the rest of the community outside of Evo-Web.
I mean, would be great if everybody was in tune with us, and on board... listening and commenting on each episode. But I won't lose any sleep over it.

I just enjoy these podcasts for what they are. Made by us, for us.
Only thing I'd want from outside of Evo-Web, is someone from Konami/PES team to have a listen to 1 or 2 of these, once the saga is complete.
I get ya totally, It's like when you hear a great album by an obscure band or play that amazing indie game made by one man, You wish everybody could experience it & enjoy it. But people only want to consume what's already popular, What's already trending.

Agreed this helps identifying with other people and its nice to hear.

Would you be adverse to a youtube channel being created for the site? we could have periodic live debates with multiple hosts & guests, singuarly or confrence. also other videos of interest to the community could be uploaded via the channel.

Also we could have a live chat where subscribers could put their points across (although we would need mods for this bit to stop trolling & dodgy links!

I strongly suspect you already know of this Tom, but i am just putting my points across. It is also a good way in which members would be able to take an active interest in the site/channel. Plus the added bonus is the site could receive some revenue from it. I am willing to offer my services on this. But more people would be needed. :))

We're already struggling with maintaining a proper twitter account and adding a working forum implementation for that, so don't go all nuts over some, albeit very sexy, voices, you hear me? :D

Just remember Chris, in 20 years, Football games are going to be completely unimaginable.
I'm not so sure - 20 years ago we were playing ISS Pro Evo on the PSX and I truly don't think it's evolved so much that you can't draw direct comparisons between certain gameplay elements to the modern-day games, for example. Here we are with space-age consoles (by comparison), even virtual reality, and... Football games are the same, basically.

(In-fact, a fair chunk of us are still playing those "originals"!)

But I take your point, you're talking about monetisation specifically. Who knows. Gaming can't go on like it is - the price of games hasn't increased with inflation, so the only way that can currently be recouped is through microtransactions. What if they're banned next year?

I always think the future is (as you said) "Games as a Service", and I'll pay £50 just for the manager mode of a game, if it means it keeps getting better - and yet... The lack of evolution makes me wonder if it'll ever change from just "new kits, £50".

It's like when you hear a great album by an obscure band or play that amazing indie game made by one man, You wish everybody could experience it & enjoy it
That's exactly how I feel when it comes to games (and films/bands etc)
Couldn't really care less about AAA games ir Taylor Swift or Mission impossible 47.
That's why I think this idea with a very narrow and "nerdy" podcast on this "thing of ours" (you know that reference right) is the way to go.
Why compete with the big guns on YouTube with clips and shit,I think keeping it real and keeping it close to what we love/.

And by not competing with the YT guys I mean, obviously putting up this on YT could be a good thing,not questioning the platform itself,but I think that market isn't really what this is about.
Enough guys breaking down every new Pes clip and/or click baiting the living daylight out if it.

People who like to get into this need heaven will probably find their way to this anyway.
But having YT as a promo tool to draw in more listeners,maybe that's were it's at?

I'm not so sure - 20 years ago we were playing ISS Pro Evo on the PSX and I truly don't think it's evolved so much that you can't draw direct comparisons between certain gameplay elements to the modern-day games, for example. Here we are with space-age consoles (by comparison), even virtual reality, and... Football games are the same, basically.

(In-fact, a fair chunk of us are still playing those "originals"!)

But I take your point, you're talking about monetisation specifically. Who knows. Gaming can't go on like it is - the price of games hasn't increased with inflation, so the only way that can currently be recouped is through microtransactions. What if they're banned next year?

I always think the future is (as you said) "Games as a Service", and I'll pay £50 just for the manager mode of a game, if it means it keeps getting better - and yet... The lack of evolution makes me wonder if it'll ever change from just "new kits, £50".
Just a side note,flicked through my Xbox store today.
They've already setup pre orders (in this case) FIFA
Ultimate edition 990 SEK,that's around £ 84-85.
Gaming industry is completely out of whack imo

I'll practice in front of a mirror and let you know.
Gotta find out how rusty my English is.
And might have to dust off my good old Samson C03...
Can't be worse than mine mate. I've been struggling to find time to get on the podcast, even after trying to get over the thought of "nobody wants to hear my shitty accent".

Can't be worse than mine mate. I've been struggling to find time to get on the podcast, even after trying to get over the thought of "nobody wants to hear my shitty accent".

Oh I do. I love Australian accent - on girls tho xD.

We had one, but jaygrim scared "her" away.

Yeah but I mean... Football couldn't be more popular among girls nowadays.
And some of them even play PES or FIFA.
It's weird that there are none in here or some other popular forums.
Would really spice the place up!

Back
Top Bottom