Portuguese Liga Sagres

Re: Portuguese Liga 2005/2006

Well Porto used to have 2 (Leandro , Leftback left on a 2 year loan to cruzeiro and Leandro Do Bonfim, Offensive Midfielder, wont be part of the team till the end of the season).

Porto won 3-0 against Rio Ave. all goals were scored on the last 8 minutes. :o
The first goal, by quaresma was awesome. a strike with the outside of his right foot.

FC Porto 3 - 0 Rio Ave
Quaresma 87'
Alan 92'
Hugo Almeida 95'

Bahhhhhh... Benfica this year is totaly a great desilusion. In 3 games, we have 1 draw and 2 loses, If we play like this in CL we're fucking arruined! :\

Professor Nutmeg said:
What's with Guimaraes being bottom? Did they change their manager over the summer?

They had chance their coach, is now Jaime Paicheco (ex-Boavista), his style of play is defending and conter-attaking but with a lot of fouls. They are down too like Benfica.

Yeah Guimaraes changed their coach.
Benfica is a pretty bad shape, but the season is still at the start, and i'm sure alot will change.
But they need a win.

Table:
Code:
          Club         pts     games
1.   	 FC Porto 	9 	3
2.   	 Sp. Braga 	9 	3
3.   	 Sporting 	9 	3
4.   	 Nacional 	7 	3
5.   	 Gil Vicente 	6 	3
6.   	 Rio Ave 	6 	3
7.   	 Boavista 	5 	3
8.   	 E. Amadora 	4 	3
9.   	 V. Setúbal 	4 	3
10.   	 Belenenses 	3 	2
11.   	 Naval 	        3       3
12.   	 P. Ferreira 	3 	3
13.   	 Académica 	2 	3
14.   	 Marítimo 	1 	3
15.   	 U. Leiria 	1 	3
16.   	 Benfica 	1 	3
17.   	 Penafiel 	0 	2
18.   	 V. Guimarães 	0 	3

3rd fixture results:

Friday, 9
V. Guimarães-Sp. Braga 0-2

Saturday, 10
FC Porto-Rio Ave 3-0
Sporting-Benfica 2-1

Sunday, 11
U. Leiria-Marítimo 0-0
Gil Vicente-Nacional 0-1
E. Amadora-Naval 2-1
Académica-V. Setúbal 0-1
Boavista-P. Ferreira 4-1

TODAY [Monday], 12
Penafiel-Belenenses 0-3

Table

1 FC Porto 9

2 Sp. Braga 9
3 Sporting 9

4 Nacional 7
5 Belenenses 6
6 Gil Vicente 6
7 Rio Ave 6
8 Boavista 5
9 E. Amadora 4
10 V. Setúbal 4
11 Naval 3
12 P. Ferreira 3
13 Académica 2
14 Marítimo 1
15 Benfica 1
16 U. Leiria 1
17 V. Guimarães 0
18 Penafiel 0

Pelintra, the table you have there is not completely correct.

This year there will be 4 teams that will go down to the second division.
You have to include benfica in the red.
Next year the Liga will change from 18 teams to 16.

Pelintra said:
Bahhhhhh... Benfica this year is totaly a great desilusion. In 3 games, we have 1 draw and 2 loses, If we play like this in CL we're fucking arruined! :\

Delusion only to one who doesn't understand soccer.

Benfica won a peculiar league last year, in a season were the big 3 lost an unbelievable amount of points. Benfica was not the best, they were the less mediocre. Proof of that is that no benfica fan can name a single game last season were one can say "here you go, this was a brilliant soccer display", the closer they get is naming the 4 goals against boavista home, in a game no one remembers of being a good soccer display. (a team that lost 6 away and 4 home against Sporting CP so hardly).

Benfica are simply getting it worst because this year's coach, Koeman, want's to play quality soccer which is not possible in a limited team like benfica. I didn't like Trapatoni but he was realistic: benfica was limited so he played simple, careful soccer. This year unless Koeman realises Benfica is not the giant he once heard about the club will suffer big time, specially in the CL in group stage, which can have a devastating effect in the team spirit.

Another issue is the ridiculous transfer moves: benfica needed a goalscorer, a prolific striker to pair with a Nuno Gomes who is more a team player than a real striker. Benfica signs the 1,68m Miccoli, a player who can NEVER be the box striker fans expected, a good player that needs to play behind the striker (in Nuno Gomes actual role) or in the wings (simão role) or as Ofensive Mid, a position to which benfica signed Karagounis.

Troubled times in Benfica but I hardly feel pitty: an peculiar club with arrogant fans with few to brag about but with an unexplainable sense of unfounded arrogance based on events that took place in the jurassic times of "black & white" soccer.

Revan said:
Pelintra, the table you have there is not completely correct.

This year there will be 4 teams that will go down to the second division.
You have to include benfica in the red.
Next year the Liga will change from 18 teams to 16.

eheh your "evil" :)

Yep, benfica is below the "waterline" :).

In fact I've heard that not only simão will wear "harmband" (captain) next game. Due to that "waterline" situation it seems that all the 11 players will wear inflated armbands to cope with the water around.

oh and...

did you realise that even Tiago Monteiro (portuguese rookie in F1 in his first season) has...

...more points than benfica? :)

Mauras said:

Benfica won a peculiar league last year, in a season were the big 3 lost an unbelievable amount of points. Benfica was not the best, they were the less mediocre. Proof of that is that no benfica fan can name a single game last season were one can say "here you go, this was a brilliant soccer display", the closer they get is naming the 4 goals against boavista home, in a game no one remembers of being a good soccer display. (a team that lost 6 away and 4 home against Sporting CP so hardly).

Benfica are simply getting it worst because this year's coach, Koeman, want's to play quality soccer which is not possible in a limited team like benfica. I didn't like Trapatoni but he was realistic: benfica was limited so he played simple, careful soccer. This year unless Koeman realises Benfica is not the giant he once heard about the club will suffer big time, specially in the CL in group stage, which can have a devastating effect in the team spirit.

Another issue is the ridiculous transfer moves: benfica needed a goalscorer, a prolific striker to pair with a Nuno Gomes who is more a team player than a real striker. Benfica signs the 1,68m Miccoli, a player who can NEVER be the box striker fans expected, a good player that needs to play behind the striker (in Nuno Gomes actual role) or in the wings (simão role) or as Ofensive Mid, a position to which benfica signed Karagounis.

Troubled times in Benfica but I hardly feel pitty: an peculiar club with arrogant fans with few to brag about but with an unexplainable sense of unfounded arrogance based on events that took place in the jurassic times of "black & white" soccer.

I don't wanna sound like I'm making fun of benfica, but acctually all that is written here is pure and the undeniable truth.
Only thing though is that the team is no so limited as you think Mauras. They have quality, it's just not being properly used.

Benfica got their first victory this year on the Liga.
Benfica 4 - 0 União de Leiria
Nuno gomes scored an hat-trick.

Porto and Sp. Braga, although putting up a good show tied 0-0 :\

Mauras said:

We are arrogant. You (Sporting fans) will always be jealous.

And before you start talkin back, some facts.

Since 1974, the year of the Revolution that brought down the dictatorship in Portugal:

Championships - SL Benfica 10 Sporting 4
Portuguese Cups - SL Benfica 9 Sporting 4

Usually, the arguments of Sporting fans are that Benfica was great in the days of the dictator Salazar because it was the "team of the state".

Well, since the Revolution we keep winning more titles than you, so... Who's the greatest? :)

Last edited:

Well, finally Koeman seems to have found a system that works. The Man U game will be difficult, and a tie would be a good result. If Villareal lost their game even a defeat wouldn't be so bad.
First win for us, first draw for Porto (even though they continue to play fairly good). Sporting plays today, lets hope they achieve a bad result, in the always difficult trip to Madeira

Sporting lost, heheh always love to see Nacional da Madeira kicking SCP's ass! :lol:

Nacional da Madeira 2 - 1 Sporting Lisbon

PS. Great goal by Deivid. And my congrats on Benfica for a entertaining match (though one sided) against Leiria.

1 FC Porto 10
2 Sp. Braga 10
3 Nacional 10
4 Sporting 9
5 Rio Ave 9
6 Belenenses 9
7 V. Setúbal 7
8 Boavista 6
9 Gil Vicente 6
10 P. Ferreira 6
11 E. Amadora 4
12 Benfica 4
13 Naval 4
14 Académica 2
15 Marítimo 2
16 Penafiel 1
17 U. Leiria 1
18 V. Guimarães 0

Juca's thrown in the towel at Maritimo after just 4 games.

juca-2.jpg

I don't think all the summer changes have helped the team and it looks weaker than last year IMO. What makes it worse is that Nacional have started so well!

Drawing with basement sides Leiria and Penafiel in consecutive weeks hardly bodes well either :(

There were too many changes in maritimo and that was important. But the previous coach was alot better. He had to quit for personal reasons, unfortunaly for Maritimo.

Penafiel 1 Vs 3 Benfica (Yesterday)

Goals: Marco Ferreira (Penafiel), Nuno Gomes (Benfica), Simão (Benfica) and Nuno Gomes (Benfica)

WHAT A AMAZING GOAL BY SIMÃO WITH HIS LEFT FOOT! THAT'S FOOTY SHOW! :cheers:

Maritimo have got a new manager

6_21809.jpg

It says..

Paulo Bonamigo, à chegada, marca o seu estilo disciplinador Quem não se enquadrar na filosofia não veste a camisola

http://www.jornaldamadeira.pt/not2005.php?Seccao=6&id=21809

I can work out from this that he's arrived to install some discipline, but I don't really get the secod sentence about the shirt.
Could anybody give me a bit more information on him ? obrigado.

db

denirobob means something like "the players that don't fit (his) style won't play.
This is the first time I ever heard of him, so I rally can't tell you anything about him.

Revan said:
denirobob means something like "the players that don't fit (his) style won't play.
This is the first time I ever heard of him, so I rally can't tell you anything about him.

ola Revan

muito obrigado!

He sounds like a bit of a tough nut then, maybe what the team needs.

db

Liga BetAndWin.com 6th fixture:

Friday, 30

Belenenses-E. Amadora 0-2

Saturday, 1
Rio Ave-Boavista 1-1

Sunday, 2
V. Setúbal-U. Leiria 2-0
Académica-Gil Vicente 2-0
Nacional-Penafiel 2-0
Marítimo-FC Porto 2-2