Tennis Games - General Discussion

kamy100

Premiership
9 June 2003
Blackburn, UK
Tiebreak tennis has been released today on early access on Steam. Console release will be later this year, this is the official game of the ATP/WTA tours.

Some gameplay from the early access:

That looks awful.
Seen it is £25 on Steam which is a bit on the pricey side for an Early Access.

Might give it a go though for 2 hours and if really awful - Like it looks then ask for a refund.

From the look, I can tell that Tennis Elbow and Full Ace Tennis are by far superior to this. It's a shame that no "big" developer tries to build a realistic game.

On the other side, still a better situation than with football. I would love to have some independent small realistic football games like Tennis Elbow or Full Ace Tennis.

Reactions: Tom
From the look, I can tell that Tennis Elbow and Full Ace Tennis are by far superior to this. It's a shame that no "big" developer tries to build a realistic game.

On the other side, still a better situation than with football. I would love to have some independent small realistic football games like Tennis Elbow or Full Ace Tennis.

Which is the better game of the two?
Tennis Elbow or Full Ace?

Very hard to tell for me. Both have pros and cons. Full Ace has complex controls and it's difficult to understand. But it's is very rewarding.

TE 4 is a little bit of disappointment for me. I don't see much difference between TE 4 and TE 2013. It's definitely easier to control, you can play it with keyboard.

Both are much better with mods and community is bigger with Tennis Elbow.

Tldr: you should try both and then decide by yourself.

Played both extensively, but now exclusively play Full Ace. For me it's undoubtedly the best tennis game ever made. Compared to any other tennis game, it has the best gameplay and control mechanics - steep learning curve, but unbelievably realistic with how you time and aim your shots. Ball can go anywhere, miss hits, realistic errors etc. Great how you can customize so much, cosmetically (eg. camera, screen indicators, ball visuals), and more importantly, gameplay/control/ai difficulty... I put everything on the most difficult, most sim-like settings (ie. level 24), except for timing (level 10/24), which makes the game a real joy to play.

Mods are fantastic, generally coming out at main tournaments. TE does have better support which i find unusual since I consider FA to be the far superior tennis simulation.

Finally, a recent update, has dramatically improved volleys to an amazing level of realism.. Feels so good. Its probably one of the hardest things to get right in a tennis game. Oh yes, this game also has an awesome tutorial mode, describing by example, and then getting you to actually perfectly perform the skill before moving on.

Cannot really ask for more, considering this is a one man team. The only thing Id love to see added to the game is player diving or stretching for an almost unreachable ball, and would absolutely love 'vibration/controller feedback' support - would add so much in terms of immersion. The developer has indicated (via the steam discussion) that this will occur in a future update. Can't wait.

Edit: There really needs to be a Full Ace Tennis Simulator thread opened up... May do it myself and post some helpful video, of my settings, which i consider pretty good ;) camera wise, and realistic wise, considering i have many of the default screen indicators hidden for realism. Here is an old video i posted ages ago which shows how i usually play (these days ive slightly changed my setup - which ill post in another thread):

Last edited:
Played both extensively, but now exclusively play Full Ace. For me it's undoubtedly the best tennis game ever made. Compared to any other tennis game, it has the best gameplay and control mechanics - steep learning curve, but unbelievably realistic with how you time and aim your shots. Ball can go anywhere, miss hits, realistic errors etc. Great how you can customize so much, cosmetically (eg. camera, screen indicators, ball visuals), and more importantly, gameplay/control/ai difficulty... I put everything on the most difficult, most sim-like settings (ie. level 24), except for timing (level 10/24), which makes the game a real joy to play.

Mods are fantastic, generally coming out at main tournaments. TE does have better support which i find unusual since I consider FA to be the far superior tennis simulation.

Finally, a recent update, has dramatically improved volleys to an amazing level of realism.. Feels so good. Its probably one of the hardest things to get right in a tennis game. Oh yes, this game also has an awesome tutorial mode, describing by example, and then getting you to actually perfectly perform the skill before moving on.

Cannot really ask for more, considering this is a one man team. The only thing Id love to see added to the game is player diving or stretching for an almost unreachable ball, and would absolutely love 'vibration/controller feedback' support - would add so much in terms of immersion. The developer has indicated (via the steam discussion) that this will occur in a future update. Can't wait.

Edit: There really needs to be a Full Ace Tennis Simulator thread opened up... May do it myself and post some helpful video, of my settings, which i consider pretty good ;) camera wise, and realistic wise, considering i have many of the default screen indicators hidden for realism. Here is an old video i posted ages ago which shows how i usually play (these days ive slightly changed my setup - which ill post in another thread):

Bought Full Ace Tennis, what is the best mods for it?
I downloaded one called the AO 2024 pack.

Bought Full Ace Tennis, what is the best mods for it?
I downloaded one called the AO 2024 pack.

I just download latest mod (found in the discussions section in steam) whenever they come out.. pretty much only one mod i thought (ie. one maker), which is continuously updated.. eg. I have the Rolland Garros Version, and before that i had the US version. The AO 2024 pack must be the most updated version, haven't got that yet. Where do you download it from.. just looked at the discussions section and couldn't find it. I do know the mods are available on discord.. ill check there. But yeah... I think there is only one mod/maker.

I just download latest mod (found in the discussions section in steam) whenever they come out.. pretty much only one mod i thought (ie. one maker), which is continuously updated.. eg. I have the Rolland Garros Version, and before that i had the US version. The AO 2024 pack must be the most updated version, haven't got that yet. Where do you download it from.. just looked at the discussions section and couldn't find it. I do know the mods are available on discord.. ill check there. But yeah... I think there is only one mod/maker.

The one I downloaded was FAMOD 1.6 AO

@aussiepesfan

Thanks for the recommendation it is easily the best tennis game I have played in the last 10-15 years and it is so realistic that every shot has to be pretty much perfect.
Not really tried Tennis Elbow for more than 20 mins, but Full Ace is already a much better experience.

Tried playing Wimbledon on medium AI with Andy Murray and lost 6-3, 6-1, 6-2 to the World Number 97.
Took a while to get used to serving and still suck at it, but after some ground stroke practice I feel my next Wimbledon attempt will go much better.

Thanks ;)
Yep, best tennis game ever made i reckon. For me, the perfect balance is increasing everything to max, and then lowering 'timing'... i have it very low, ie. 8 outta 24.. just means i time most shots, or a badly timed shot isnt too disasterous. Mind you, ill still hit it out or mishit and make a weak shot if timing is way off.. its just more forgiving... and to be honest, with it too high, it feels like im an amateur player instead of the pro player im controlling (usually Nadal :))

Btw, just played a set, and recorded to show my settings etc. I turn pretty much everything off visually, but have a very very faint almost transparent line showing the depth of the shot i need to get back.. helps big time. Ball shadows obviously help, but when the court is fully shadowed, where you cannot see the ball shadow, its hard to know perfect foot/player position.
Other things i do to help... I always play on the bottom court,... as i only ever play vs the cpu. Id be fked in an online battle changing court.
I also increase ball size and have a black outline... and put motion blur on it. I just like the look of it...
Anyways, check this out.. just finished uploading :)

btw.. just remembered why i dont like tennis elbow .. the running animations are bad.. something i just cannot overlook.
I must admit, i do love how in tennis elbow you can have photographed courts in 2d view... looks amazing. Wish you could do that in FATS... but the courts look decent enough.

@Emroth

Hi mate, given this has kind of moved off topic from the original topic.
Rather than start a new thread - Can you change this thread to
Tennis Games - General discussion?

As seems some people play various games and would make more sense having a generic thread.

Thanks ;)
Yep, best tennis game ever made i reckon. For me, the perfect balance is increasing everything to max, and then lowering 'timing'... i have it very low, ie. 8 outta 24.. just means i time most shots, or a badly timed shot isnt too disasterous. Mind you, ill still hit it out or mishit and make a weak shot if timing is way off.. its just more forgiving... and to be honest, with it too high, it feels like im an amateur player instead of the pro player im controlling (usually Nadal :))

Btw, just played a set, and recorded to show my settings etc. I turn pretty much everything off visually, but have a very very faint almost transparent line showing the depth of the shot i need to get back.. helps big time. Ball shadows obviously help, but when the court is fully shadowed, where you cannot see the ball shadow, its hard to know perfect foot/player position.
Other things i do to help... I always play on the bottom court,... as i only ever play vs the cpu. Id be fked in an online battle changing court.
I also increase ball size and have a black outline... and put motion blur on it. I just like the look of it...
Anyways, check this out.. just finished uploading :)

I will definitely try and play with the settings later and find a balance where I enjoy the game.
As will do Wimbledon with most likely Tim Henman as found he was on the game as a legend.

So, for me the skill level I need to find is getting through the first couple of rounds and then start having 4/5 set matches against the better players and potentially having a straight sets defeat in the semi's as I want to find a level where it is a real challenge and will have to play out my skin to beat players ranked in the Top 10.

But after a test game and a little bit of the practice court, I am enjoying it - Where as TE I just didn't like it from the start and didn't have any urge to get into it.

Last edited:
What I miss in Full Ace Tennis is that longer career option. I used to start at 1 000 position in ATP ranking in Tennis Elbow 2013 and slowly made my way up the ladder. I was so happy when I have reached first ATP tournament in 3rd year in the career. These ITF Futures and Challengers were painful. I think it's theoretically possible to start that low in Full Ace Tennis but there is no real database, all names of tennis players ranked 100 or lower are just random.

The modding community for TE is much bigger, amount of details they can make is insane. These custom animations for players feel so real even with that 2000s graphic.

I wish these two games could somehow merge and create the ultimate and best tennis experience ever :D

Hello mates.
I'm love tennis on video games but since Top Spin 4, it's hard to find a great game.

I like Full Ace Tennis, a fresh air on the market.
But my big bope is on Top Spin 2K25.

I'm curious so i bought the early access of TieBreak.
Well, the gameplay needs lots of work because there is no grass, no trace on clay, some weird animations/teleportations.

But there are some nice ideas when you have learn thé gameplay.

I have made some videos on hard to show you. It was recorded on my Asus Rog Ally

Medvedev Vs Murray at Shanghai (Hard)

Kvitova Vs Sakkary at Wuhan (Hard)

Fritz Vs Kyrgios at Paris Bercy (hard)

Osaka Vs Kostyuk at Rome (Hard)

So got half way through Wimbledon QF before giving up with the settings on Medium.
The computer is just too easy and I was breaking pretty much every game.

Will need to mess with the settings now and try and find a good balance, as actually found it easier to beat the better players.
As they use power shot more, you can use power shot more as the timings are much easier to get right.

It does play incredibly well and probably the best tennis game I ever played.
Virtua Tennis 2 is still the absolute best for me personally as it was ahead of it's time although playing now it is just an arcade game.
I also did play all the Top Spins and remember the only reason I didn't like them was they were too easy once you spent 30 mins learning the game it was donuts all the way.

Hi, anybody of you playing tiebreak tennis, does it have "academy" as AO Tennis 1/2? Or anything similar (steam workshop)? A place where you can download players, arenas, logos, outfits, etc.?

I could not understand that from the google search as there is not much info about the game at all.

Thanks

So got half way through Wimbledon QF before giving up with the settings on Medium.
The computer is just too easy and I was breaking pretty much every game.

Will need to mess with the settings now and try and find a good balance, as actually found it easier to beat the better players.
As they use power shot more, you can use power shot more as the timings are much easier to get right.

It does play incredibly well and probably the best tennis game I ever played.
Virtua Tennis 2 is still the absolute best for me personally as it was ahead of it's time although playing now it is just an arcade game.
I also did play all the Top Spins and remember the only reason I didn't like them was they were too easy once you spent 30 mins learning the game it was donuts all the way.
I don't think TS3 is easy on the higher difficulty. You're looking at 2h or even 3h+ matches there. I even had a 5h 5-set match once, I was like a zombie when it ended.

I don't think TS3 is easy on the higher difficulty. You're looking at 2h or even 3h+ matches there. I even had a 5h 5-set match once, I was like a zombie when it ended.

I can't really remember which ones I played as played one on PC but could of been on Xbox.
I just remember winning on the hardest difficulty 6-0, 6-0 pretty much every game as once you found out which shots worked you could win incredibly easily which is why I stopped playing it.

After now playing Full Ace for over 6 hours, it has become a bit of a pain.
I am finding myself winning easy against the lower ranked players but having issues against the top players as can break serve pretty much every game, but also always lose pretty much every game on my own serve.
Currently playing on realistic skill level for everything but timing which is on 14 and serving on 8.
It is enjoyable though and you can get the rallies going on for quite a while.

I can't really remember which ones I played as played one on PC but could of been on Xbox.
I just remember winning on the hardest difficulty 6-0, 6-0 pretty much every game as once you found out which shots worked you could win incredibly easily which is why I stopped playing it.

After now playing Full Ace for over 6 hours, it has become a bit of a pain.
I am finding myself winning easy against the lower ranked players but having issues against the top players as can break serve pretty much every game, but also always lose pretty much every game on my own serve.
Currently playing on realistic skill level for everything but timing which is on 14 and serving on 8.
It is enjoyable though and you can get the rallies going on for quite a while.
You're probably talking about the first 2 Top Spin games. No way you can cruise through that easily on the highest difficulty in TS3.

You're probably talking about the first 2 Top Spin games. No way you can cruise through that easily on the highest difficulty in TS3.

I looked online it was either Top Spin 3 or 4, but no idea which one.
As all I know it had Andy Murray in it.

So played for 25 hours on it now and won my first career tournament in Rotterdam after being runner up in Adelaide and AUS Open.
Playing a career mode as Murray.

So now that I have learnt how to serve on the game and winning service games quite comfortably now, it has become more of a chore to play the game now.
Was really enjoying it in the beginning but now struggling to stay interested.
After doing donuts on Theim and Djokovic in the semi and final, will probably stop playing now until they release a new patch and up the difficulty.

Last edited:
So played for 25 hours on it now and won my first career tournament in Rotterdam after being runner up in Adelaide and AUS Open.
Playing a career mode as Murray.

So now that I have learnt how to serve on the game and winning service games quite comfortably now, it has become more of a chore to play the game now.
Was really enjoying it in the beginning but now struggling to stay interested.
After doing donuts on Theim and Djokovic in the semi and final, will probably stop playing now until they release a new patch and up the difficulty.
This is the problem with almost all tennis videogames. Once you learn the mechanics it's easy to win. I think only on the highest level of TS4 is difficult to win with an average player.
There is a way devs can make tennis games more challenging but it's very unlikely they'll do it for many reasons and one of these is the toxic base of gamers. What can the devs implement: A system, a complex algorithm which takes into account fatigue (accumulated also), psychology, a wide range of micro ratings of each player, rivalry stress, court familiarity, thousands of possibilities of ball placement and all the above with a pinch of some RNG for each type of shot. I'm in the minority though who won't have any problem with such implementation. The majority of sports gamers are fuming when their perfect shot doesn't have the perfect result. You can see that in the NBA 2K game, they want all the "green" shots to go in the basket. I only play with the Real FG% option, I don't mind missing open shots that will also cost me the game.
But this is how the world is nowadays, everyone wants all things to be easy in their life, they can't be frustrated, it's all about winning easy. This mentality has gone deep into videogaming also especially with the big companies devs and managers.

Well no matter how hard I try I can't beat AI regularly in Full Ace Tennis. Each match is a challenge. I am especially struggling to be consistent on serve, sometimes I hit 4 super hard servers and then in other game I do two double faults :D And difficulty sliders are somewhere in the middle.

Am I just.... bad in the game?

Well no matter how hard I try I can't beat AI regularly in Full Ace Tennis. Each match is a challenge. I am especially struggling to be consistent on serve, sometimes I hit 4 super hard servers and then in other game I do two double faults :D And difficulty sliders are somewhere in the middle.

Am I just.... bad in the game?

The game is a challenge.
I don't win every game to 0, but I have won a few donuts.

I play with everything on realistic except timing and serving but these have been slowly increased in difficulty over time.
I find playing any player below 80OVR is a very straight forward win.

The game is fun, but only when you hit later stages of tournaments and against the better players.

Hi, anybody of you playing tiebreak tennis, does it have "academy" as AO Tennis 1/2? Or anything similar (steam workshop)? A place where you can download players, arenas, logos, outfits, etc.?

I could not understand that from the google search as there is not much info about the game at all.

Thanks
Hello

The academy will arrived near March or April/May for career mode.
There is a planning
planning updates tiebreak.jpg

For now, the big problem of this game is the AI, who made non stop left to right rallies.
The animations since the last patch are better, less teletransportation but the volley is another big problem.
The animations on TWT2 when you go to net were not perfect but better than TieBreak

I have made some videos, recorded on my laptop with a 3070ti, to have a better quality than the others on my Rog Ally. The game runs at 240 fps on it so the videos at 50/60 fps looked sometime strange

Kyrios Vs De Minaur Monte Carlo on Expert difficulty

Kostyuk Vs Zhang Paris Bercy on Expert difficulty

Medvedev Vs Fritz Clay Hard difficulty

Osaka Vs Sakkari Madrid Hard difficulty

Back
Top Bottom