• Manchester United

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • Real Madrid

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters
Re: The biggest club in the world?

Its all a bit vague...biggest club? by what factors? I can give you the name with the biggest name...that'll be NAC Breda aka "Nooit Opgeven Altijd Doorzetten Aangenaam Door Vermaak En Nuttig Door Ontspanning Combinatie Breda." ;)

(Taken from The Guardian)

rockykabir said:
Its all a bit vague...biggest club? by what factors? I can give you the name with the biggest name...that'll be NAC Breda aka "Nooit Opgeven Altijd Doorzetten Aangenaam Door Vermaak En Nuttig Door Ontspanning Combinatie Breda." ;)
:lol: hehehe

I think the thread asks for the BIGGEST club in the world. There would be no problem in saying that Madrid is the most awarded club in history, that's just a fact no one can deny. And probably M. Utd is the most famous club in the world considering its presence in Asia and North-America.

But being this thread about the BIGGEST club, I have to say (sorry for the biasing) that Barcelona is the biggest club, and that's why:

- Barcelona is the club with more members of the world, being right now 145.000 the members of it.
- Nou Camp is an unrivaled stadium in Europe in terms of capacity (100.000 all seated), security, accesses and facilities.
- Barcelona has a lot of succesful teams in a lot of sport disciplines, having won all possible trophies in all of them: football, basketball, handball, hockey, ice hockey. And a lot of other professional disciplines of 2nd order such as athletism, cyclism, baseball, etc. For example, when celebrating the centennial of the club, Barcelona won national leagues of Football, Basketball, Handball and Hockey, and also European Cups of Handball and Hockey. I don't think ANY club can achieve that.
- The only problem of Barcelona is its romantic vision of football, always attacking, always playing for the spectator, almost suicidal. That's what makes it difficult to win knockout trophies. But I think no other club has had an impressive list of players such as: Zamora, Kubala, Luis Suárez, Cruyff, Schuster, Maradona, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Romario, Stoichkov, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo to mention only top performers.
- Last, but not least, Barcelona did all that without putting a dirty logo in the shirt.

That's my few cents about it (you can call me biased, but you can't deny my points).

That has nothing to do with it Milanista...
Liverpool has far more silverware than Man Utd, yet Man Utd is the bigger club.
In Italy Juventus is the bigger club than Milan.
In Spain Barcelona is the bigger club than Real Madrid.

It's all about appeal.

IMHO and entirely subjective these are the 3 biggest clubs:

1. Man Utd
2. Barcelona
3. Juventus

drekkard said:
- Barcelona is the club with more members of the world, being right now 145.000 the members of it.

What is that in relevence to , im sure if its official fan clubs im sure Man U have a lot more than that.

drekkard said:
- Nou Camp is an unrivaled stadium in Europe in terms of capacity (100.000 all seated), security, accesses and facilities.

The avarage gate of 03-04 was only around 67,000 , also I think the biggest stadium in the world is in Rio de Janeiro at 103,000 tho I think all seating would take that down. I dont think that this has all the relevence to the biggest club in the world tho.

drekkard said:
- Barcelona has a lot of succesful teams in a lot of sport disciplines, having won all possible trophies in all of them: football, basketball, handball, hockey, ice hockey. And a lot of other professional disciplines of 2nd order such as athletism, cyclism, baseball, etc. For example, when celebrating the centennial of the club, Barcelona won national leagues of Football, Basketball, Handball and Hockey, and also European Cups of Handball and Hockey. I don't think ANY club can achieve that

Again something I think that has no relevence to the biggest club in the world is other sports, this is all about the biggest football side in the world and although I do like other sports its the only one that really matters to me and Im sure a lot of other people will agree here.

drekkard said:
- The only problem of Barcelona is its romantic vision of football, always attacking, always playing for the spectator, almost suicidal. That's what makes it difficult to win knockout trophies. But I think no other club has had an impressive list of players such as: Zamora, Kubala, Luis Suárez, Cruyff, Schuster, Maradona, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Romario, Stoichkov, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo to mention only top performers

Without a doubt Barca has had some of the greatest players to grace this world but again so has many other sides , Real Madrid have countless other stars. Milan have had some of the greatest players that have ever played the sport and all the side in the early 90's especially and still to this day hold one of the most star filled teams there is.

drekkard said:
-Last, but not least, Barcelona did all that without putting a dirty logo in the shirt

This I give a bit of respect to in some ways but others its part of world football tbh.

I think the biggest team in respect of being well known over the world is Man U. The biggest in regards to winning trophys is Real Madrid. It is hard to just pick out a team as the biggest as there is a few different angles you could look at it.Barca without a doubt play the best attacking game atm but they havent always done so. Milan get a lot of respect for me some find there football too tactical but I find it has the perfect balance of defending and attacking tho recent results and form are proving to hold them back. Its hard to pick the biggest 6 from Europe have to be Man U, Barca, Real Madrid, Juventus, Milan and Liverpool but again its all down to personal opinion really.

The biggest club in the world it's REAL MADRID CF without any doubt! 9x Champions of Europe says everything, and I'm Barça fan and Anti-Madridista.

Like I said before, that argument makes Nottingham Forest, Marseille, Steaua Bucharest and Feyenoord bigger than Arsenal, Roma, Lazio and Chelsea

Crvena Zvezda - final team to win European Cup with all domestic born player !! 15 years

didn't Celtic do that first in 1967. All players born within 50 miles or so of the ground. correct me if I'm wrong

I think so, but in 67 all teams were like that. In 91 other teams brought big outside players, but Zvezda have all players from 1 country - Jugoslavia, and noone will do it again... and neveragain will a team from the East win it, not enough money as West clubs.

Christ can anyone READ? It asks the BIGGEST (NOT richest, NOT who has won the most silverware).

Bloody hell.

Ahhh rite, get you now.........Club America, fact. Or most probably NAC Breda who are also known as "Nooit Opgeven Altijd Doorzetten Aangenaam Door Vermaak En Nuttig Door Ontspanning Combinatie Breda"

Close the thread please, he's found his answer.

FD

Last edited:

as for me Fenerbahçe but to be honest

1-Real Madrid
2-Barcelona
3-Juventus
4-Milan
5-Liverpool
6-Man Utd

What would you consider to be the biggest and most famous (not most financially rich) and most globally known football club in the world? Discuss.

^ What is so difficult to grasp with that question? Your NEC answer is getting very boring now. I tell you what is funny though: How easily game-geeks get offended!

Club America then. They can get more fans in their stadium than anyone else at the moment.

FD

master8 said:
as for me Fenerbahçe but to be honest

1-Real Madrid
2-Barcelona
3-Juventus
4-Milan
5-Liverpool
6-Man Utd

I can't imagine how Juventus, Milan and Liverpool can be behind Barcelona in that list. I mean, the most important fact to consider, given we are talking about playing football, should be trophies won. Both Milan and Juve, by far, have many more and more important titles than Barcelona. Barcelona is the second team in Spain, but is far from being the second most important club in the world.

In my opinion, we could try to build a "kind of objective" criteria list to consider what factors are more important. I'd say, for example, that at least 50% of the score in this measurement should correspond to titles won, as that is after all what ends up telling which is the best team. Of the 50% remaining, I'd say 15% would be international fame (up to this day), 15% economic power, 5% current status (i.e. Ajax has an impressive history but in the past years has won little), 5% other sports presence and 10% sportsmanship and fair-play tradition (counting doping scandals, hooligan behaviour and the likes).

Given these criteria, I'd say let's give 1 point to each National League won, 0.5 to each National Cup won, 5 points to each UEFA/Cup Winners Cup won, 10 points to each European Cup/Champions League won, 2 points for each European Supercup and 3 extra points to each Intercontinental Cup won. National titles points would be multiplied by the UEFA current league coefficient factor (meaning each point counts 1x for England, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Portugal, Netherlands and Greece, and 0.75x for the rest countries). Thus, Real Madrid would therefore score:

50% Titles, 15% International Presence, 15% Economy, 5% status, 5% other sports, 10% Fair Play.

100px-Real_madrid_cf.gif

REAL MADRID
-------------------
National League: 29
National Cup: 17
Total National points: 29 + 17/2 -> 37.5 points.

UEFA/CWC Wins: 2 x 5 points -> 10 points.
Supercup: 1 x 2 points -> 2 points.
Intercontinental Cup: 3 x 3 points -> 9 points.
European Cup/Champions League: 9 x 10 -> 90 points.

TOTAL TITLES POINTS: 37.5 + 10 + 2 + 9 + 90 = 148.5 points.

That's 50% of the total. Measuring the rest of the score like:

International Presence (out of 15): 12
Economy (out of 15): 14
Status (out of 5): 3
Other sports (out of 5): 3 (also the most titles winning team in Europe in Basketball)
Fair-Play (out of 10): 7 (generaly an elegant team spirit, but some incidents some years ago at the Bernabéu with that fallen Goal against Dortmund score against).

That'd be a total of:

148.5 + 12 + 14 + 3 + 3 + 7 = 187.5 points

Titles points should be adjusted to weigh 50% of the possible total, but as there's no possible maximum points for titles won, I think this is pretty fair. You might as well divide title points by two should you prefer it, and the total would be 113.25.

I may post other teams score later. This was just a proposal. ;)

Last edited:

100px-Fc_barcelona.gif

FC BARCELONA
-------------------
National League: 17
National Cup: 24
Total National points: 17 + 24/2 -> 29 points.

UEFA/CWC Wins: (3+4) x 5 points -> 35 points.
Supercup: 2 x 2 points -> 4 points.
Intercontinental Cup: 0 x 3 points -> 0 points.
European Cup/Champions League: 1 x 10 -> 10 points.

TOTAL TITLES POINTS: 29 + 35 + 4 + 0 + 10 = 78 points.

International Presence (out of 15): 11
Economy (out of 15): 11
Status (out of 5): 4
Other sports (out of 5): 5
Fair-Play (out of 10): 7.

That'd be a total of:

78+ 11 + 11 + 4 + 5 + 7 = 116 points

Last edited:

100px-United-logo.jpg

MANCHESTER UNITED
-------------------
National League: 15
National Cup: 11
Total National points: 15 + 11/2 -> 20.5 points.

UEFA/CWC Wins: 1 x 5 points -> 5 points.
Supercup: 1 x 2 points -> 2 points.
Intercontinental Cup: 1 x 3 points -> 3 points.
European Cup/Champions League: 2 x 10 -> 20 points.

TOTAL TITLES POINTS: 20.5 + 5 + 2 + 3 + 20 = 50.5 points.

International Presence (out of 15): 15
Economy (out of 15): 12
Status (out of 5): 3
Other sports (out of 5): 0

That'd be a total of:

50.5 + 15 + 12 + 3 + 0 + 7 = 87.5 points

Last edited:

75px-Ac_milan.gif

AC MILAN
-------------------
National League: 17
National Cup: 5
Total National points: 17 + 5/2 -> 19.5 points.

UEFA/CWC Wins: 2 x 5 points -> 10 points.
Supercup: 4 x 2 points -> 8 points.
Intercontinental Cup: 3 x 3 points -> 9 points.
European Cup/Champions League: 6 x 10 -> 60 points.

TOTAL TITLES POINTS: 19.5 + 10 + 8 + 9 + 60 = 106.5 points.

International Presence (out of 15): 10
Economy (out of 15): 10

That'd be a total of:

106.5 + 10 + 10 + 4 + 0 + 7 = 137.5 points

75px-Juventus_logo_2004.gif

JUVENTUS FC
-------------------
National League: 28
National Cup: 9
Total National points: 28 + 9/2 -> 32.5 points.

UEFA/CWC Wins: (3+1) x 5 points -> 20 points.
Supercup: 2 x 2 points -> 4 points.
Intercontinental Cup: 2 x 3 points -> 6 points.
European Cup/Champions League: 2 x 10 -> 20 points.

TOTAL TITLES POINTS: 32.5 + 20 + 4 + 6 + 20 = 82.5 points.

Economy (out of 15): 9
Status (out of 5): 5

That'd be a total of:

82.5 + 10 + 9 + 5 + 0 + 7 = 113.5 points

150px-Liverpool_FC_logo.png

LIVERPOOL FC
-------------------
National League: 18
National Cup: 6
Total National points: 18 + 6/2 -> 21 points.

UEFA/CWC Wins: 3 x 5 points -> 15 points.
Supercup: 3 x 2 points -> 6 points.
Intercontinental Cup: 0 x 3 points -> 0 points.
European Cup/Champions League: 5 x 10 -> 50 points.

TOTAL TITLES POINTS: 21 + 15 + 6 + 0 + 50 = 92 points.

International Presence (out of 15): 7
Economy (out of 15): 6
Fair-Play (out of 10): 6. (Great supporters but Heysel should be taken in count)

That'd be a total of:

92 + 7 + 6 + 4 + 0 + 6 = 115 points

Last edited:

100px-Fc_bayern_munchen.gif

FC BAYERN MÜNCHEN
-------------------
National League: 19
National Cup: 12
Total National points: 19 + 12/2 -> 25 points.

UEFA/CWC Wins: (1+1) x 5 points -> 10 points.
Supercup: 0 x 2 points -> 0 points.
European Cup/Champions League: 4 x 10 -> 40 points.

TOTAL TITLES POINTS: 25 + 10 + 0 + 6 + 40 = 81 points.

International Presence (out of 15): 9
Economy (out of 15): 8
Status (out of 5): 5
That'd be a total of:

81 + 9 + 8 + 5 + 0 + 7 = 110 points

100px-Ajax_Amsterdam.png

AFC AJAX
-------------------
National League: 29
National Cup: 15
Total National points: 29 + 15/2 -> 36.5 points.

UEFA/CWC Wins: (1+1) x 5 points -> 10 points.
Supercup: 3 x 2 points -> 6 points.
European Cup/Champions League: 4 x 10 -> 40 points.

TOTAL TITLES POINTS: 36.5 + 10 + 6 + 6 + 40 = 98.5 points.

Economy (out of 15): 5
Status (out of 5): 2
Fair-Play (out of 10): 5.
That'd be a total of:

98.5 + 10 + 5 + 2 + 0 + 5 = 120.5 points

Back
Top Bottom