The Greek Euro Mith - R.I.P (as some forecasted)

Zygalski said:
I'd rate Mexico at about the same standard as Greece - and they're not doing too badly.

Yes verily much there are things like these tactics ;)

I thought Mexico's attack was better than Greece's. Mexico were more fun to watch.

I honestly can't see where this thread is ending up.... Can't you see that it is the variety of characteristics of the style of play of each team adds to the complexity and excitement of the beautiful game? What would football be without the flair of the Brazilians, the efficiency of the Germans, the grit of the English, the defence of the Italians etc... All work mutually to compliment each other and facilitate football tactics to evolve..

I think it was around in the 1930s when England played the (so called) minnows Hungary. Back then, the english type of play with tall physical players was the seemingly the best way to play. (After viewing Puskas, one English player was remarked to have said "Look at that little fat chap. We'll murder this lot."!!)

The were massacred something like 6-3 with some truly sublime football from the Hungarians.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that its these shocks and the collisions between different football ideologies that keep football interesting.

Well said. Without all these startegies, we wouldnt be having this interesting discussion.

It seems Mauras and his chums are still bitter about July 4th 2004. I'm not going to explain my points as gerd, Don Domenico and ghazi have already done that, but if Japan can break past our defensive side, why did the Portuguese fail twice?

If every team played super-attacking football then football would become a joke, and only the teams with the best players would win. We didn't have the squad to compete with the big guns, so we used our tactical knowledge, discipline and fighting spirit instead, things that are just as important, if not more so then attacking play.

Stasman said:
We didn't have the squad to compete with the big guns, so we used our tactical knowledge, discipline and fighting spirit instead, things that are just as important, if not more so then attacking play.
Where have these things gone over the past few matches?

Greece Mexico 0-0 and we played much better than them and we should have won the game.Thats where we are.And dont forget:
World Cup Qualifiers:We have 3 games left.With Kazakstan,Georgia home and Denmark away.2 wins and one draw is enough to get us to Germany.Easy for us.Wait and see.
I wanna see you then...

polakis said:
Greece Mexico 0-0 and we played much better than them and we should have won the game.Thats where we are.And dont forget:
World Cup Qualifiers:We have 3 games left.With Kazakstan,Georgia home and Denmark away.2 wins and one draw is enough to get us to Germany.Easy for us.Wait and see.
I wanna see you then...

That's the spirit

polakis said:
I wanna see you then...

If it was that easy for you... how come you arent first??? Turkey have been a far stronger side, and they look like they will come 2nd.

Portugal haha....every night i watching the video with the tearful C.Ronaldo
that he curse the time when bump greek gods
xaxa

ppl still mix euro 2004 bitterness with soccer style valuation.

I'm not a little bit bitter about it, well over it by now lol. The truth is that all that is happening was predicted by some, and this thread was all about that really.

After eurocups other teams adopted a more respectfull and fearfull stance against greece. Those changes made the Greece football style crumble. Rehagel failed to see that if Greece were to maintain a certain standard they would have to chance a bit, gain constructive quality.

Result: no chances, risk of not even qualifying and the wors european champion ever in the confederation cups (statiscally).

For ppl who are still using the "small have to play smaller" and "greeks are no brazilians" rational to support the greek approach on the game I give you another example: Denmark 1992 - a underdog winning the euro tittle, beating the biggest without necessarely playing with 11 men behind the ball. The danish also weren't brazilians.

Don Domenico said:
You've gotta be kidding me, are you such a sore loser Mauras?

Yes the Greek team is crumbling apart now and won't make wc06.
The Greeks simply won at ec04 though and quite deservedly so. The Greeks, got the maximum out of a 'mediocre' team compared to the likes of Portugal, to name one team. You may not like their style of play, but you can't blame them for it. They knew how to win and they went for it.
Or would it have made more sense for the Greek team to have attacked 90 minutes each match, while being ripped apart at the back?

Very true!
Greece won with a "not so good" team, compared to France, Potugal etc.

Back
Top Bottom