The Retro-Football Corner

WhoAteMeDinner

PES Puritan
28 April 2018
@mattmid , the way Dutch Total Football transformed the game as a whole by the mid-1970s was remarkable, look at the 1970 World Cup official film (was repeated last month) and players like Rivellino and Beckenbauer would stand in the middle of the pitch and wait for someone to make a run. Was almost rude back then to disturb a great playmaker on the ball. :COAT::COAT::COAT:

Flipper the Priest

Harder.Better.Faster.Stromer.
15 July 2003
Scotland
Can you imagine players playing on this today?

Wow. One aspect of the game that's changed for the better IMO! That goal at 4:00!

Saw this for the first time yesterday. I'm all for artificial pitches, but this is a proper stinker from days of yore. The winning penalty and pitch invasion are fantastic.

mattmid

International
15 December 2011
Ah yes the Oldham pitch. The early artificial pitches weren't great. I seem to remember Frankie Bunn once scored 6 for them on it. Some pressure on that last minute penalty! I remember us playing against Neil Redfearn a few times in the nineties, if memory serves he went to Barnsley after this and us and Barnsley were in the championship together for ever it seemed like. He was one of those real good solid pro sort of players.

Flipper the Priest

Harder.Better.Faster.Stromer.
15 July 2003
Scotland
Ah yes the Oldham pitch. The early artificial pitches weren't great. I seem to remember Frankie Bunn once scored 6 for them on it. Some pressure on that last minute penalty! I remember us playing against Neil Redfearn a few times in the nineties, if memory serves he went to Barnsley after this and us and Barnsley were in the championship together for ever it seemed like. He was one of those real good solid pro sort of players.
I can't believe those pitches were allowed!

I remember Neil Redfearn from Barnsley. The more I read about him - Charlton and Bradford - the more the bells ring. Definitely the archetypal good pro. You can just imagine cliché lower league managers throwing all the clichés at him. 'Good football man', 'honest lad' etc!

slamsoze

International
28 September 2010
What a nostalgic night!!! Coming from a country that will probably never have a team capable of winning the CL or the EL, those little moments of progressing, or winning the "one night", are so emotionally strong for a football fan.

Especiallly the No.1 goal against Ajax of 1995-1996, means so much for me and my team . A win from a total underdog against the (until that year's final) best team in the world!!!

The best match i remember from my team Panathinaikos was the rematch against Barcelona in 2002, in the CL quarter final. The first match was 1-0 win for Panathinaikos, but in the rematch, although we started with 0-1, Barcelona achieved to be better in aggregate, scoring 3 goals!
The milestone here, was that in the last part of the second half, Panathinaikos played as the BIGGER team and Barcelona as the underdog, as they were submitted to the greek team, which was eliminated unfortunatelly.

Despite all the above, and the controversy* that makes football the most fascinating sport in our world, is that the best game as a whole package, i consider the proudest moment of greek clubs football, is the match of Olympiakos!!!! against Real Madrid, in Madrid, in season 2007-2008. In my opinion in this match, i saw for the first time , a greek club to play as the superior team, and not in the counter attack, for all 90' minutes, resulting in better quality football then their theoritically superior opponent, which was Real Madrid! Despite the super performance, Olympiakos lost 4-2.

*It is a controversy, cause i support Panathinaikos. And Panathinaikos-Olympiakos are like eternal rivals, like Boca-River and Real-Barca!!! But i cannot deny that that performance felt more complete

P.S.: In the current state that Greek football and Greek Super League is the recent years, i do not believe my generation will live again such moments in the near future!!

BrendaBruna

League 2
3 August 2018
OL Reign

I feel so bad for Maicon in this match, Bale totally destroyed him. I feel like the most heartbreaking part for me is seeing the amount of support that was needed for him when it was seen that he couldn't stop Bale on his own. In the first half, Lucio comes out of his position a few times to assist on the wing (it was a 4-2-3-1, so it exposed the defense quite a bit), you can see Zanetti closing on the run a few times too, also Muntari and Sneijder.

In the 2nd half though, you can see both Zanetti closing in, Obiori trying to mark Bale a few times like Maicon attempted to do in the 1st half, then Maicon tries two more times to stop Bale, it's defeated again and again, and then the team just entirely starts coming to help.

In this picture you can see THREE players closing on Bale: Coutinho chasing him from behind, Obiora on his right side, and Lucio in front of him. Not shown in the screenshot is Zanetti in the middle so distracted by Bale that forgets to mark Pavlyuchenko properly and Samuel trying to make up for Lucio losing the run against Bale. Now, of course, this was at the end of the match, Inter was very much desperate for a goal to equalize so they exposed themselves a lot, but it's telling that nowhere in the picture Maicon is found, he wasn't subbed in that match.

I've seen a lot of comments on this match picking on Maicon but also blaming the entire Inter defense or picking on Lucio, I think that's unfair for the following reason: MAICON was responsible for marking Bale, he overloaded his fellow defenders with his ineptitude to cancel Gareth, so we have Lucio constantly trying to make up for Maicon in the right-back and Zanetti trying to make up for Lucio, which had DISASTROUS results for Inter.

This match breaks my heart so much because as a child I was a huge Inter fan and Maicon was one of my favorite players.

BrendaBruna

League 2
3 August 2018
OL Reign
Being a huge fan of both USWNT and Nadeshiko, I can't help but think this must be one of the most emotional finals in Women's Football history, even better with commentary of the great Jon Kabira.

SAWA NO SUPA GORU

Top Bottom