The Retro-PES Corner

I’m with you @Flipper the Priest the cutscenes in the PS2 PES’ don’t register with me either. Maybe because they are so quick and when they are shown they add to the immersion of the match.

Whereas in the newer ones there is also the Logo that goes across the screen first before the replay. There is a cutscene for everything. It used to bug me in FIFA too seeing the manager clapping or fist pumping. Just get on with it already!

Maybe we should start a whole new cutscene thread :LOL:

I must admit, I can't say the cutscenes in the PS2 games even register with me..

PS3 era they were only memorable for being, like, -5 FPS.

On PS4 all I can think about is the massively obnoxious replays, which make me so angry that I can barely remember if there are even cutscenes.

... those long PS4 replays with those slow motion ass moments implemented just when the player has a scoring opportunity are destroying the immersion for me 😴. Besides, in those replays you can fully see lots of one on one contact animation flaws ( programed very poorly without any contact at all between players, touching the air) during some weird referee decisions that kills the entire contact experience (especially when you clearly see some penalties or red card faults but for some dumb reason, well, you'll get nothing)... I'll take long cutscenes any day with some better AI and content because that's one of the "story generation" part who immerses me to role-play a ML or BAL experience (including besides PS2 also all the PS3 versions) and keep going playing those classics... I even watch the intros from time to time (especially the PES 4, PES 5 and PES 2011), feels so classy and giving me an extra push to play again and again...

Which is funny because most of these cutscenes in newer games are just rehash from the old one but in HD. Look, im all in for nostalgic part and there's certain part in older games that's better in new gen, it's true. But it aint no way every aspect in older game is better than new one, nah 🤷🏻

It s a real.shame that we are relying in 15 and 20 year old games in order to get our football fix for.a.decent master league which has random and brilliant gameplay by which every match u never know what s gonna happen, random goal.mouth scrambles, all of.these moments where one player substitution can make a difference, it s really bad when in the new games even with mods, u feel.every player is the same, it was different in pes 5 and 6, i had the best of times going on in a master.league season, what a.shame about.the new games.....

Can only agree love the cut scenes or as some said even the intros in the older Pes games. Last night was playing some PES 5 and even after so many years that stuff totally immersed me and I found myself watching in awe. Yes graphically it's not great these days, but there's something about it. Something beautiful. I even watched the highlights after the game as they came up. Some of those closer shots, you see the subtle nuances of the game play... it's just beautiful to look at.

Also, you can just skip the cut scenes if you want in the older games.

I must admit, I can't say the cutscenes in the PS2 games even register with me..

PS3 era they were only memorable for being, like, -5 FPS.

On PS4 all I can think about is the massively obnoxious replays, which make me so angry that I can barely remember if there are even cutscenes.
Exactly, playing the PS2 ones is a luxury for user experience and QoL. Now I'm older I have less patience for current Gen's "watch the player run 15 yards, pick the ball up & run back 15 yards to take a real time throw in".

The replays after every single damn foul and the COM making one substitution at a time within a 5 minute interval and again, forcing to watch the cut scene kills me.

It s a real.shame that we are relying in 15 and 20 year old games in order to get our football fix for.a.decent master league which has random and brilliant gameplay by which every match u never know what s gonna happen, random goal.mouth scrambles, all of.these moments where one player substitution can make a difference, it s really bad when in the new games even with mods, u feel.every player is the same, it was different in pes 5 and 6, i had the best of times going on in a master.league season, what a.shame about.the new games.....
With the advent of online almost completely they don't give a damn about gameplay....good thing we have our PS2 and se/Pes games from we6 to we10

Well... I've been working on my own English patch for months.😅
Hello, I would like to share with you the compiled English patch ISO for those who are not that familiar with ISO editing. The only additional edit I put inside the game is the intro scene where I add the "sk_rea2f English Patch evoweb". Besides the English patch, I also modified the team selection so we can play using the additional teams, CSKA Moscow and Pohang Steelers. Cheers.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/d4pr2s78hrmaiuk/WE2010JLeague+sk_rea2f+evoweb.rar/file

PS. I already ask for permission to upload them publicly to sk_rea2f

I got my dusty 360 out at 3am, last night and played Xbox 360 PES6 for the first time ever! I was expecting better graphics but same gameplay as PS2, but no, it's different and I like it. Ball feels heavier and I think tempo is slower and players feel more solid. Great AI on top player. I played 2 games and lost them both. I conceded 2 v United and 2 v Brazil. Good game.

Anyone played it and have an opinion on it? As I have rarely seen anyone ever even talk about it and I'm unsure why :) I was pleasantly surprised by the gameplay and thought the player models looked great.

I got my dusty 360 out at 3am, last night and played Xbox 360 PES6 for the first time ever! I was expecting better graphics but same gameplay as PS2, but no, it's different and I like it. Ball feels heavier and I think tempo is slower and players feel more solid. Great AI on top player. I played 2 games and lost them both. I conceded 2 v United and 2 v Brazil. Good game.

Anyone played it and have an opinion on it? As I have rarely seen anyone ever even talk about it and I'm unsure why :) I was pleasantly surprised by the gameplay and thought the player models looked great.

The X360 version of PES 6 it's like an update to the conventional PS2/PC version, that was released sometimes later with some tweaks and improvements. That means you're totally right on what your saying regarding the overall gameplay experience. The same happened with PES 2008 PS version, that people are mentioning it's a superior product comparing to the PC version, considered one of the best gameplay mechanics Konami was ever made.

Sincerely didn't played any of PES 6 or PES 2008 versions on consoles because I was all my life from the 90's until now a PC master race guy :LOL: , but I'm very happy seeing that joy in threads and comments where people are praising those versions giving an extra credit to them. That just demonstrates how superior were the PS2/PS3 versions compared to the PS4 versions, where on the overall side those last PS4 versions are not so immersive like was the case in the past until 2013 on the single player side... I'm playing PES 2017 and 2021 from time to time but even with patches are not the same as their better past PS2/PS3 versions...

I’ve now connected your EvoWeb account to your twitter acc. As I just read your tweet earlier.

It is a game I do want to go back and spend time on. This game was probably my biggest let down. Not down to the gameplay but the fact it lost so many modes etc from the PS2. I had built this game up so much in my head and I was mortified when I saw there was no edit mode. I don’t remember reading about all the exclusions pre launch, so I either missed it or it was never actually covered. I soon returned to the shops to purchase the PS2 version.

In my opinion all the Pes on Fox engine are crap. They look good, they play bad. They all lacks in variety, shooting,body collisions between players. They are only well animated but the gameplay is dull.
Pes3 to Pes 2008 on PS2 are still vastly superior to every Pes game come after them..

I’ve never played the 360 version because, well I’ve never owned a 360 or any Xbox for that matter. I was still happily playing PES on a PS2 at that time. I hear the 360 version added manual passing to PES 6. Is that true?

I’ve now connected your EvoWeb account to your twitter acc. As I just read your tweet earlier.

It is a game I do want to go back and spend time on. This game was probably my biggest let down. Not down to the gameplay but the fact it lost so many modes etc from the PS2. I had built this game up so much in my head and I was mortified when I saw there was no edit mode. I don’t remember reading about all the exclusions pre launch, so I either missed it or it was never actually covered. I soon returned to the shops to purchase the PS2 version.
Oh yeah, I didn't clock there was no edit mode, shame. I did think the main menu screen looked bare, but didn't think why. As you say I think once you ignore what it's missing, the actual gameplay is very worthwhile.

I’ve never played the 360 version because, well I’ve never owned a 360 or any Xbox for that matter. I was still happily playing PES on a PS2 at that time. I hear the 360 version added manual passing to PES 6. Is that true?
No idea, but now I wanna know. I'll check it out later. You can always try 360 emulator ? I never have, but I know they exist.

No idea, but now I wanna know. I'll check it out later. You can always try 360 emulator ? I never have, but I know they exist.
Googled it. Yeah it’s the only version of PES 6 with manual passing (I think manual shooting too)

“Though the Xbox 360 version lacks dressing, it is the only version with a fully analogue Manual Pass feature”

Mentioned under the platform differences section.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Evolution_Soccer_6

I’m not sure whether or not I’d like that in PES 6 but it would definitely open up different ways of playing. Whether different means better or not I dunno.

Edit: The physics are slightly different on the 360 version too apparently.

Googled it. Yeah it’s the only version of PES 6 with manual passing (I think manual shooting too)

“Though the Xbox 360 version lacks dressing, it is the only version with a fully analogue Manual Pass feature”

Mentioned under the platform differences section.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Evolution_Soccer_6

I’m not sure whether or not I’d like that in PES 6 but it would definitely open up different ways of playing. Whether different means better or not I dunno.

Edit: The physics are slightly different on the 360 version too apparently.
They mean manual passing similar to current day, or manual passing generally?

I can't remember how far back i must go, but IIRC PES 4, PES 5 for sure had that super awkward manual passing with the R-stick, press and aim.

Good evening all, as I read repeatedly that WE9 LE is thought to hitting the sweet spot between PES 5 and PES 6, was wondering does anyone have a ISO for PS2 in English, like similar to what exists for PES 2008?

I'm always torn between which one I prefer, PEs 5 or 6... and would love to give WE9 LE a spin. Many thanks!

They mean manual passing similar to current day, or manual passing generally?

I can't remember how far back i must go, but IIRC PES 4, PES 5 for sure had that super awkward manual passing with the R-stick, press and aim.
I couldn’t tell you, I’ve never played the 360 version.
I don’t recall manual passing with any PES on the PS2. Or if it did I never used it.

Good evening all, as I read repeatedly that WE9 LE is thought to hitting the sweet spot between PES 5 and PES 6, was wondering does anyone have a ISO for PS2 in English, like similar to what exists for PES 2008?

I'm always torn between which one I prefer, PEs 5 or 6... and would love to give WE9 LE a spin. Many thanks!

Straight up translated ISO and accompanying option file via @Shales (links in description):

Or try this patch from @BillyKong on for size: https://evoweb.uk/threads/winning-eleven-9-liveware-evolution-ps2-ntsc-k-patched.94688/

Last edited:
Recently been playing J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship which has really surprised me and made me realise the reason I'm enjoying it so much is because it's just different enough from all the PES5/6 iterations I've been playing trying to find the perfect blend/balance of those games.

I'd deff recommend checking it out, it's a shame it never got translated/patched.

Straight up translated ISO and accompanying option file via @Shales (links in description):

Or try this patch from @BillyKong on for size: https://evoweb.uk/threads/winning-eleven-9-liveware-evolution-ps2-ntsc-k-patched.94688/
Amazing, many thanks, that's great! Will check that out later when some time on hand. 🥰

Really intrigued by the positive comments on this version, especially around the AI, as it annoys me that on PES 5 even on 6* they only ever chip the ball or play through passes.

Is that from the PS2 version specifically?
Not sure, ive seen in on PC, but i think its for all platforms, as the PES 3-6 on PC were the PS2 port. So it's safe to say , PC and PS2 yes, Xbox maybe.

As per the execution, it's more terrible than terrible itself.

You press the R3 stick (inside) with your right thumb and then you strafe to the direction you wanna aim. Cant remember, but to make it even worse, the power bar is dependent on the duration or the distance of the R-stick swinging .

It almost impossible to use it, no matter if your are left handed or right handed, it's against the fundamental geometry and ergonomy of the gamepads.

Back
Top Bottom