UEFA EURO 2016 France / Tournament schedule in 1. post

It was a catastrophic Euro for our team. 0 goals on both Euro's (excluding 2 goals by Shevchenko in match with Sweden), 3 losses. I don't know what conclusions will make our federation. Unfortunately we're the worst team on this tournament

With England and Spain failing to finish first in their groups, we now have a very interesting round of 16 ahead of us; on one side: France, Spain, Italy, Germany, England ...
on the other side: Croatia, Poland, Belgium, Switzerland, Portugal, Wales ...

:/

:CONFUSE:
14665436365851.jpg

QF:
Croatia vs Poland
Wales vs Belgium
Germany vs Spain
France vs England

SF:
Croatia vs Belgium
England vs Spain

F:
Belgium vs Spain

Winners:
Spain

Nice to see Croatia win, I'm delighted for them, especially as Spain were gifted a soft penalty and Croatia themselves were denied a more clear-cut one.

Both penalty cases were very hard calls. IMO it would be unfair to say the ref made a mistake.

One could also argue that the GK was not on his line and Spain's penalty should have been taken again.

Nevertheless a well deserved win for a very attractive Croatia team with some very good new players and this without Modric, one of the best players of the tournament. Hats off!

Both penalty cases were very hard calls. IMO it would be unfair to say the ref made a mistake.

I think if he gives both pens then he is just a strict ref and that's fair enough. If he gives neither then he is a lenient ref (or in my opinion perhaps a correct ref). But the issue he gave one and not the other so he is either inept (ie didn't see it) or worse...

But either way it's great to see a team like Croatia not buying into the hyperbole about Spain, it's great to see them attacking them, going for the win (not whimpering into some sort "we can't win because they are so good" mentality)

One could also argue that the GK was not on his line and Spain's penalty should have been taken again.

One could also argue that it should not have been a penalty at all, because Aduriz pushed Vrsaljko into Silva.

Yes (and now i'm gonna do exactly the sam as you did) but

one could also argue that Subasic was not on his line and so the penalty should have been retaken.

And now you again...

Man, we just talked about the penalties...

Don't you read my posts?

I just wrote that Croatia deserved to win, because they played attractive football and this without their best player...
I just wrote that i was glad to discover a couple of "new" and promising players.

I'm Belgian and i've had much more pleasure watching your team than ours (i still think we are underachieving).

As a matter of fact, i hope Croatia win the Euro's, that is if their asshole fans will give them the opportunity to win it.

Gerd, I've read your post before responding and I clearly noticed your praise for our team, you can certainly give me that much of a benefit of a doubt. Thank you for all the kind words :)

I merely responded to the "it would be unfair to say the ref made a mistake" part of your post, because it seemed to me that entire prior discussion about that penalty and its softness was revolving exclusively around Vrsaljko vs Silva contact. And yes, taken out of the full context, that is a penalty, as soft as it may be. And nobody could blame the referee for giving it.

But nobody seems to notice that there were three players actively involved in the action, all three of them almost in full sprint:

https://streamable.com/eq4h

Aduriz hits Vrsaljko on the shoulder, Vrsaljko looses balance and consequently trips Silva. That should have been called as a counter-foul on Vrsaljko in the first place. Which means no penalty at all. IMO, ref should have seen that and that is a ref's mistake.

Normally I wouldn't harp about that, but it's kinda getting annoying not getting awarded a lot harder penalties for us when it really matters (against the very same Spain back in EURO 2012 group stage, for example) and have all those softies constantly awarded against us (like yesterday or e.g. against Brazil in the opening match of 2014 WC). Luckily, we dodged the bullet this time.

That was the best game of the tournament so far and it was really enjoyable to see Croatia prepared to take Spain on. The coach has quite a decision now regarding the five changes who all played well. I think the striker did a better job than Mandzukic did in the previous games so far. Might be being a bit harsh but he seems to be playing on reputation.

To think they did that without Modric as well shows the quality in the squad.

As to England, I suspect we will, as always, come undone at the back once we meet a team who attack us. It happens every tournament, once we meet one of the better teams our defence is found out. I could see a few goals in one of those games though as with a team coming out I think we will score as well. We are not good at breaking teams down as we lack creativity in midfield.

The worrying thing is we have apparently had 79 shots so far and scored just 3 goals. Considering our strikers are supposed to be our strong point that's a concern.

Pippa, Slovakia did a good job and exactly what they had to do to qualify. However I think you might have been surprised if they'd had a go at winning the game.

While they are different games and it's very hard to break teams down who sit back, the fact remains we couldn't beat an awful Russian team that both Slovakia and Wales beat comfortably.

nothing special we just won our group at the Euro after 40yrs of absence. okay...

btw vs BEL/SWE now

Last edited:
These Euros is more complicated then the Brexit voting ffs! :RANT: 3rd place goes through then Turkey doesn`t because Italy lost.:JAY:

about penalty for Spain... ball don't lie ;) :D

against Portugal now... they have good individuals, i'm afraid they are going to wake up now, it would be tough

Okay, zlac, i see your point.

For me Croatia are the most enjoyable team of the tournament (but i haven't seen the last part of the match against the Cech Republic, i quit watching when it still was 2-0).

Another question, if a majority of the voters vote for a Brexit, will England, Northern Ireland and Wales leave the tournament?

Another bad performance from ou team against Sweden...

Another question, if a majority of the voters vote for a Brexit, will England, Northern Ireland and Wales leave the tournament?

Yes because we will no longer be part of Europe. They will airlift our isles over to Asia before Saturday's games.
Hope that answers your question for you?

hahaha...no Gerd, EU and UEFA are different entities, many countries not in EU are in UEFA (Russia, Swiss, Israel, etc)...the only thing that affects football is that UK players playing outside of UK will require a work permit and EU citizens working in UK will also require a work permit to play football.

UK's work permit application is very strict and tough, so some who originally are in UK, may not be able to get a permit.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/marcotti...xit-impact-on-european-premier-league-players

If he strolls around like he has done in the Euros he'll be a flop in the Premier next season. He might get away with that in the weak Ligue 1 but he won't there.

Congrats on Hungary, fantastic achievement to win the group and what a second half that was yesterday!

Back
Top Bottom