WE9 - Post your complaints and disappointments here!

lol reminded me of a cup game...
i was using brazil and was against sweden in the quarter final, playing on 6 stars... kallstrom scored 2 incredible freekicks to come back from behind to steal a famous win... and the 2 freekicks were so identical i wished i saved the relplay

The game has gone way of Chelsea football. It's looks great on paper, but its boring to watch. Konami might want to consider calling it 'Winnnig Eleven: 0-0 draw'. You can't score in this game. Your stats mean nothing in this game. You could be Milan playing against a lower level team in the Bundesliga and lose. I understand that happens sometimes in real matches, but everytime? Or actually the game will end in a 0-0 draw. I've played the series since WE6 all the way up to WE9. Each one better than the last. But not anymore. Shame really. I use to love this game.

actually the exibition mode is ok... but when it comes to master league...its kind of scripted
there are some matches i've played... and somehow.. the matches are so identical.. e,g.. i take the lead.. and cpu comes back from behind out of no where... bang* long shot from cpu into top corner with crappy player, bang* freekick into top corner, bang* header from corner when my defender who is standing in front just watches as i tap my square button furiously

Last edited:
KeithD said:
The game has gone way of Chelsea football. It's looks great on paper, but its boring to watch. Konami might want to consider calling it 'Winnnig Eleven: 0-0 draw'. You can't score in this game. Your stats mean nothing in this game. You could be Milan playing against a lower level team in the Bundesliga and lose. I understand that happens sometimes in real matches, but everytime? Or actually the game will end in a 0-0 draw. I've played the series since WE6 all the way up to WE9. Each one better than the last. But not anymore. Shame really. I use to love this game.

I don't know about you, but for me that was the case initially.
But now I hardly ever get a 0:0 draw. I've just learnt how to play
better, you need to know when to use patient passing, and when
to use quick counter-attacks.
Playing the game now is fun.
Sure, sometimes the CPU will do some unbelievable stuff, but most
of the time in ML, I'm dominating the CPU and winning games
with atleast 1 goal in them.
Initially it used to be 1:0 or 0:0.
Now it's 1:1, 2:2, 2:1, 3:2,etc....

jflores said:
Forgive me for this stupid question...

Does anyone know if WE9 or 8LE can be played in widescreen format?

They can. Only problem is, they don't support widescreen mode, so you're gonna play with fat midgets ;)

jflores said:
Forgive me for this stupid question...

Does anyone know if WE9 or 8LE can be played in widescreen format?

Most Plasma TVs have a "WIDE ZOOM" setting.... (you actually end up missing part of the top and bottom of the picture), which maintains the Height vs Breadth ratio to a better degree. You can actually change it manually to just keep the scores AND the radar map visible (only just!)

I also use the in-game "wide" view with angle 9, which minismises the stretching effect even more... hope that helps :)

Been playing for a while in the ML.

This is one of the strange things I have noticed:
The CPU rarely fields their best players.
I've played versus Atletico Madrid atleast 10 times in about 4 seasons,
and in almost every single match, Fernando Torres comes on as a substitute
in the last minute when they need a goal desperately....
I've played AC Milan twice, and Sheva came on as a sub in both games
towards the end.
I've played Real Madrid countless times, and I don't even remember
seeing Beckham play.
With Barcelona, Eto'o is rarely ever seen.....
I was playing against Arsenal in the CL, where they needed a win to qualify,
and guess what....Reyes and Henry are on the bench, they lost the game
and neither of them came on....

Also I've been playing on 5*, the ML was going pretty well, I won 12
of my 15 matches in the first half of the season.
In the 2nd part of the season, after the transfer window,
I've noticed every single game, my players' passing and shooting
is very slow. The teamwork has gone down. The CPU is playing
much better, I've lost one game where I swear I could barely
move players at times. One goal was conceded when all my defenders
just stood still and allowed Raul to walk in and score from 20 yards.
Other games, the defenders do weird stuttering animations and stay
away from the ball allowing the CPU to walk through.
Nothing to do with fatigue, because I rotate my squad when needed,
and I look at the bars, and see it's mostly full....it has to be scripting...
which is very evident in WE9 compared to earlier versions like WE8

Last edited:
mathewsss said:
Been playing for a while in the ML.

This is one of the strange things I have noticed:
The CPU rarely fields their best players.
I've played versus Atletico Madrid atleast 10 times in about 4 seasons,
and in almost every single match, Fernando Torres comes on as a substitute
in the last minute when they need a goal desperately....
I've played AC Milan twice, and Sheva came on as a sub in both games
towards the end.
I've played Real Madrid countless times, and I don't even remember
seeing Beckham play.
With Barcelona, Eto'o is rarely ever seen.....
I was playing against Arsenal in the CL, where they needed a win to qualify,
and guess what....Reyes and Henry are on the bench, they lost the game
and neither of them came on....

Also I've been playing on 5*, the ML was going pretty well, I won 12
of my 15 matches in the first half of the season.
In the 2nd part of the season, after the transfer window,
I've noticed every single game, my players' passing and shooting
is very slow. The teamwork has gone down. The CPU is playing
much better, I've lost one game where I swear I could barely
move players at times. One goal was conceded when all my defenders
just stood still and allowed Raul to walk in and score from 20 yards.
Other games, the defenders do weird stuttering animations and stay
away from the ball allowing the CPU to walk through.
Nothing to do with fatigue, because I rotate my squad when needed,
and I look at the bars, and see it's mostly full....it has to be scripting...
which is very evident in WE9 compared to earlier versions like WE8

.... that is so true man... the cpu benches its players for some obviosu reasons which i dont understand.... i am playin on the 5 star right now... i have won 9 matches and 1 draw... i which check that out... about what u said about the second half of the season.... thanks for the heads up

I gave up on ML...... The FATIGUE factor is COMPLETLY FAKE!!!!!!! After 3 matches players like Pires have to be taken out to be rested even when i sub him in the 20th of every game......

LEAGUE mode with FATIGUE off is much more realistic.....I still have to sub a lot because of bad form(down arrows) or small injuries which i have been gettin a lot lately........

WE8LE had good fatigue rate but this one is just stupid enough to turn me away from ML

Last edited:
mmeny said:
.... that is so true man... the cpu benches its players for some obviosu reasons which i dont understand.... i am playin on the 5 star right now... i have won 9 matches and 1 draw... i which check that out... about what u said about the second half of the season.... thanks for the heads up

I think the CPU bases in starting 11 on Pos, Form, skill : roughly in that order. As we can't see the starting 11 stats of the opponent its anybody's guess how it'll turn out. But Maybe if we pause and switch sides during a math and go into the formation screen, should be able to understand why.

So top players with down-form arrows would be overlooked over lesser palyers with up arrows perhaps.

Same selection policy applies when we use auto-sort/auto-sub in our formation screen.

Cheers.

The biggest problem for me is the lack of scoring. The game looks great, feels great, but there is no payoff at the end. It's like watching a great movie with a really bad ending. Your doing every little thing right but the computer will not let you put the ball in the back of the net. You could be Brazil and not score. Even if you ramp up the stats in the game, still nothing. Look, I understand that real games end in 0-0 draws. But when your, for ex., AC Milan playing against a weaker team, you still can not score. If the computer grants it, maybe you will score one goal. But two, the AI will not allow that. I've pobably played about 20 matches with Brazil with arrows pointing up and the computer with arrows pointing down to the side, the one before all the way down and still nothing in scoring. It makes me question whether player stats mean anything in this game. You can't score the great goals in WE9 like you can in WE8LE. Seabass and the crew are destroying the beautiful game.

Goals are definitely possible, but I can understand people's frustration at not scoring. It took me a while to get over the initial goal drought, but I've now settled into the game and goals do come, not in a flood, but they come.

I think the secret is to play as cute as possible, play one-touch footy and try clever, creative and ambitious moves. It won't come off every time. In fact, most of the time, it won't come off at all. But isn't that just like real footy?

I find that thinking slightly ahead, playing the next pass before you receive the ball, and playing it first time without taking a touch to control it, can make the difference. You're more likely to wrong-foot the cpu defence, although more likely to also misplace the pass.

It takes patience, your attempts at slick, one-touch pasing moves will often break down before you get in a shot, but it's rewarding when, on that odd occassion, it comes off and the ball hits the back of the net, the opposition left perplexed :).

I like the fact that goals are hard to come by. It makes it all the sweeter when they finally come. I know it can seem like the game is cheating you to f*ck (and at times, it is ;) ), but in real life, goals are special moments that make you want to scream with joy because they are so hard to come by.....WE/PES captures this.

diving headers occur way too often which is completely unrealistic.

imho the ball physics is just a wee bit too heavy and also unrealistic speed in some shooting situations. ball heaviness - compare the hangtime of a regular goal kick to we9.

maybe I`m wrong, but my Biggest disappointment in we9 is the reaction of the crowds when you score!!! I`m sick of it , especially in ML whenever I play home or Away, when my team scores a goal, my crowd does Not react, they juyst stand still!! And sometimes when the opposite team socres both crowds go crazy. This is totally messed up.
I think that`s a bug , but sill.

u all guys noticed that in ML right ..!

if there is any alternative to stop this, I`m open to any suggestions.

Scoring is possible? No way. That's a myth. "WE9 0-0 draw" is not about scoring. Play as Brazil, 0-0 draw. England, 0-0 draw. Madrid, 0-0 draw. It doesn't matter who you play with or against. But let's be fair, one and two stars playing level will grant you a goal. But that's because the computer does not cheat as much. Oh yeah, your stats mean absolutly nothing is this game. Nothing. I could be Owen and some CB can catch me from behind. And the computer goalie can stop everything. Everything. That's why it's called "WE9 0-0 draw". I think you can head the ball in real soccer, just not in AI soccer. Corner kicks do nothing. Free kicks do nothing. Chip high passes always go to the goalie, so that does nothing as well. I just hope the next instalment will be called "WE10 maybe, if you lucky, 1-0"

I wonder if FIFA 06 is any good?

Just couple things that have been bugging me for a while...

- You know how the CPU have the tendency to score a header on you no matter how hard you try? Well, I expect this to happen by all means but I at least expect it to look realistic... listen to what I saw yesterday during one of my games: Corner was swung in by the CPU, and the CPU forward headed the ball in over all 3 of my forwards standing in front of him... but the astonishing thing was that once looking at the replay, this forward DIDN'T EVEN LOOK AT THE BALL!! He was facing completely opposite side of the field, and didn't even turn his head around... he just magically jumped up in the air, timed it perfectly and put it in the net WITHOUT EVEN SEEING THE DAMN BALL. Come on now... that is just ridiculous.

- Another "unrealistic" thing I would like to point out that they could definitely fix in the next version... How many times have you guys played a PK match and the goalie JUMPS OVER a low shot?? I mean when the hell does that ever happen in real life?? No goalie actually jumps over the damn ball in PK's no matter how fast it is... it just looks ridiculously stupid when I guess the right way and my goalkeeper is jumping OVER the damn ball as if he is TRYING to avoid it. Extremely stupid and I cringe everytime I see it (which is quite often).

KeithD said:
The biggest problem for me is the lack of scoring. The game looks great, feels great, but there is no payoff at the end. It's like watching a great movie with a really bad ending. Your doing every little thing right but the computer will not let you put the ball in the back of the net. You could be Brazil and not score. Even if you ramp up the stats in the game, still nothing. Look, I understand that real games end in 0-0 draws. But when your, for ex., AC Milan playing against a weaker team, you still can not score. If the computer grants it, maybe you will score one goal. But two, the AI will not allow that. I've pobably played about 20 matches with Brazil with arrows pointing up and the computer with arrows pointing down to the side, the one before all the way down and still nothing in scoring. It makes me question whether player stats mean anything in this game. You can't score the great goals in WE9 like you can in WE8LE. Seabass and the crew are destroying the beautiful game.

I don't know mate. I use my Master League team and play on 6 star and I have won many, and I repeat, many games with scorelines like 7-0 or even 10-2. My beloved Eusebio has scored 350 goals in about 7 seasons, and my team's highest ever scoring league season is 118 goals in the league.

I think sometimes it's too easy to score, it really depends on your formation and players.

I don't know if this has been mentioned as a complain already, as I don't have time to read through 26 pages of posts, but why is it that you always face the same teams multiple times, and consecutively?

For example, the CPU makes the draws for the cup competitions so that when I face a team in the league, the next game I would face them in the cup! It happens almost every season. I want to face other teams sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom