Winning Eleven 9 Skills Thread

Game Control | DEFENDING

Change player
Press the :l1: button to switch the player cursor to the player closest to the ball

Switching between players : Press the :l1: button

Active/cancel strategies when canceling(When in manual mode)
:l2: button + :circle: button : Active/cancel strategies set for the :circle: button
:l2: button + :x: button : Active/cancel strategies set for the :x: button
:l2: button + :triangle: button : Active/cancel strategies set for the :triangle: button
:l2: button + :square: button : Active/cancel strategies set for the :square: button

Active/cancel strategies (When in semi-auto mode) : Press the :l2: button

Attack/Defence level
Press the :l2: and :r1: button together to increase attack mindedness
Press the :l2: and :r2: button together to increase defence mindedness

ANALOG mode button
Activates/deactivates the left and right analog stick

Mode indicator
The controller defaults to Analog mode(indicator.red)on boot up(Vibration function is not in used)

Controls for Fxed cursor setting
Calling for the ball
When a team-mate has the ball, press the :r2: button to call for a press. The more you press the button, the stronger your appeal

Moving the Player Camera
When your player is not carrying the ball, you can press and hold the :l1: button to move the camera around the direction button. You can select player camera by spending the PES you have acquired at the PES Shop.

Note : Please see the Control section of The Training Mode to review the control system.

Ronaldinho88 said:
Yes you do it the same as an R1 chip shot. Press square first, then R2 while the gauge is still on the screen. For coming in at an angle i'd still try the method i suggested. Do the shot as normal and press for the shot to go right to bend into the right post, left for a left footer into the left post.
Is this a typical inside-foot-shot, or can some players with outside star attribute do this with the outside of the boot?

did you know that when your running with R1 you can cut inside or outside 90ºdegrees by pressing L1 but it cut´s in a diferent way? Try it

First off just like to say wassup to everyone since this is my first post here although I have been reading these forums for some time now. Just a question is there a first touch type move in this game sort of like Fifa 2005? I ask even though I like Winning Eleven 9 a lot better than Fifa it would be cool if there was a first touch move I can use to get by defenders as soon as a pass is sent my way. If anyone knows how to use it please let me know as I would greatly appreciate it. Peace.

Use R1 or R2 to trap/touch. Combined with dir controls gives you all kind of possiblities.

R1 is a harder/further touch,and R2 gives closer control.

blackflash said:
First off just like to say wassup to everyone since this is my first post here although I have been reading these forums for some time now. Just a question is there a first touch type move in this game sort of like Fifa 2005? I ask even though I like Winning Eleven 9 a lot better than Fifa it would be cool if there was a first touch move I can use to get by defenders as soon as a pass is sent my way. If anyone knows how to use it please let me know as I would greatly appreciate it. Peace.

Also, if you are about to receive the ball, and you press R1 (without D-pad), you let the ball roll through your legs... can be useful for fooling the defender or letting the ball run onto a teammate.

OR

If you are about to receive the ball, press R1 + D-pad (in the SAME direction that the ball is travelling) and the player will quickly turn and run with the ball without trapping it.. excellent for fooling defenders

That's just some of the subtlety of this great game...

Really wierd using L1 or R1 when the powerbar is powererd up in a freekick shoot. try it yourself, its noticeable.

Tykjen said:
Really wierd using L1 or R1 when the powerbar is powererd up in a freekick shoot. try it yourself, its noticeable.
It's to fool the opposition goalkeeper, :r1: will swing the ball right no matter where you aimed the free-kick in the usual aiming screen, and :l1: does the same but to the left. The closest I've come to scoring like this was a shot off the bar.

gotcha, like zidane did in thht WC game..fooled the keeper bigtime! and more and more has started to do that kind of freekicks come to think of it. tnx for the insight, gonna have to experiment alot with this playing vs my pals, since they can see the pre freekick screen :D

In WE8, when u try to rescue the ball when it's going out, your player will run towards the ball and go out. However in WE9, by pressing R2 the moment u touch the ball at the side line, your player will manage to stop the ball just in time without going out of the field together with the ball. It's quite good to use!

1 question though.... Any idea how to lay off the ball for the second player to shoot? Like what Lampard or Shearer normally does? In WE8, all u need to do is juz press the R3, but now it seems tat it doesn't function anymore! I just can't find the way to lay off for another player to score a screamer!

huhuskunk said:
http://www.pesge.com/download/videos/grandpont.wmv

for this when u run u do not have to press the directional keys and then press R1 + R2 and press 3* L1
About this big brigde (or whatever it´s called) it only works against the goalkepper? Cause I tried like crazy in the training, but wasn´t able to do it. If works against any player, do i have be very close to the opponent? What´s the right distance to pull it of?
If really works, it´s freaking hard...

Chaotic Guy said:
About this big brigde (or whatever it´s called)

it isn't especially called big bridge I just tell that a litteral translation in english for "grand pont" is big bridge
there's no particular english name like for the "double roulette" (double roulette, not single roulette)

you can do it without an opponent in front of you, when training.
notice how your player goes after the ball, by its side, after pushing it forward.

not very precise or necessary, tho

dalessandro said:
it isn't especially called big bridge I just tell that a litteral translation in english for "grand pont" is big bridge
there's no particular english name like for the "double roulette" (double roulette, not single roulette)
Yeah, I´ve notice that. I just said that because everyone here probably have a diferent name for that move and i couldn´t call it "meia lua" (half moon). ;)
By the way, that´s portuguese. :mrgreen:

Can somebody please share with me a decent corner strategy? I still find it very hard to score from corners in this version of WE

vasvaz said:
Can somebody please share with me a decent corner strategy? I still find it very hard to score from corners in this version of WE

Are you having problems connecting or scoring?

Honestly, I feel there is NO sure-fire strategy for scoring from corners. It's all relative to how your players line up (different each time) and how you send your delivery in. Can you send the exact same ball in to exactly where you want every time?

Anyway, try mixing it up a little. Near post, far post, in swinger, outswinger. Also vary the trajectory a bit, try using various combinations of UP, R1,R2,L1 + :circle: for delivery : X for short corner also works well and can catch the DF flatfooted sometimes.

Overall its easier to score from set-plays in WE9 than it was in WE8:LE. Trouble is, now weight and momentum play a big,big role. So if you're blocked you aint getting anywhere near the ball.

Also go ot training mode, get comfortable with the D-PAd presses required for directing your header/shots. Practice placing near post headers, far post headers, galncing headers, straight headers, downward headers until they are 2nd nature. Also be comfortable timing your volleys. Its so much easier to practice with no defenders. BEcause in-game you only have a spilt second to decide where to put your shot. USer R2 aggresively to jostle for position.

Cheers

jiwa said:
Also vary the trajectory a bit, try using various combinations of UP, R1,R2,L1 + :circle: for delivery

I'm not sure of R1 or R2 or L1 + :circle: has an affect. I noticed that only UP or DOWN + :circle: has affect.

Also; :circle: + R2 (when gauge on) lifts the ball higher.

And of course you can give curl with LEFT of RIGHT. And adjust the heigth with :circle: x2 or x3.

Maybe L1 + :circle: gives the ball directly to the forward player in the box as during the gameplay?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom