Championship Manager 2010

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Couldn't find a thread for this so thought I'd start one. Anybody else looking forward to this? I think it's got real potential!

cm_2009_7.jpg

cm_2009_5.jpg

ChampionshipManager2009(PC)29827.jpg

ChampionshipManager2009(PC)29826.jpg

954806_20090306_screen002.jpg

954806_20090306_screen004.jpg
VIDEOS:

Yeah its certainly got potential to be good considering they decided to not release version last year and spend more time on game. :))

I'm definitely interested in this, hopefully the live updates are reasonably priced.

• Staff
I was really looking forward to seeing the engine but after seeing FM's in-game shouts, I'm thinking FM will win yet again.

THIS VIDEO featuring real managers is good though.

Its a shame because its enjoyable making your own set pieces and stuff and even watching the training is good as are the animations

I played 1 match though and it was terrible, i conceded a goal by my defender passing it across his own box to nobody and their striker tapping it in

No wonder they are selling this for £2.51!

If you havent seen the Sun today, Eidos are releasing this on their site and you can enter a price you want above 1p (plus £2.50 handling).

Might be worth it at that price...

If you havent seen the Sun today, Eidos are releasing this on their site and you can enter a price you want above 1p (plus £2.50 handling).
They must have seen the reaction to the demo then.

Good move though, it'll get them enough publicity to make a few bob.

Link for anyone who wants it
http://www.championshipmanager.co.uk/

Eidos is offering you the chance to buy the latest Championship Manager game for as little at 1p and a £2.50 transaction fee.

The promotion runs from 9am today until midnight on 10th September. You must register on the ChampMan website to make use of the offer, which only applies to digital downloads.

Championship Manager 2010 will be available to download from 11th September, at which point the game's price will rise to £29.99.

"This is the first time an initiative like this has ever been tried in the videogames market," said CM2010 boss Roy Meredith, no doubt aware of the pioneering Radiohead In Rainbows album sale.

"This is the best Championship Manager the studio has ever made and we want as many people as possible to try the full new game as once they try it we're convinced they will come back again and again."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/buy-champman-2010-for-only-GBP2-51

I didn't actually try the demo but I will now, so their PR are doing a good job. I'm reading on the forums that it isn't as bad as people are making out and Eidos are quick to point out it's a demo of a beta, so let's see...

I didn't actually try the demo but I will now, so their PR are doing a good job. I'm reading on the forums that it isn't as bad as people are making out and Eidos are quick to point out it's a demo of a beta, so let's see...
CD i tried the demo...the engine is really not on pair to FM...the animations and gfx in generall are howhever a lot better than FM..u can see some really nice goals beeing scored...
if they manage to tighten the engine more i think it will be the first solid CM since the split.

Also there are some nice little things like their atribute mask for unknown players, in Cm u have a level of knowledge of the player, so if u only know the player 30% for instance u will see an atribute range not the spcific number, for exemple as training in england u would see Cruzeiro's Jonathan crossing atribute 60-90 while he is really a 71 crossing player...

I'm going to check the demo out now (just installing) and then see how I like it. I used to love manager games but went right off them.

Is FM miles better than Champ Man these days and what happened to the LMA games?

Is FM miles better than Champ Man these days and what happened to the LMA games?
FM is made by the ORIGINAL Champ Man team and is by far the most realistic football management game out there, with a great match engine. The only thing that puts me off is that sometimes realism isn't fun - I can get Tranmere promoted but then the next season I'm powerless, I get beat 3-0 every game no matter what I do. Plus the amount of tweaking you can do is ridiculous and doesn't mimick the real world IMO, i.e. as if you'd say to players "17 out of 20 closing down Darren! 13 out of 20 long shots Paul!"

They've added some great new features this year though such as match engine "shouts", more realistic tactic creation and it's looking really good.

Champ Man is made by a new team and it's been lagging behind in all areas, but this year they've made an effort to put together a 3D match engine and by the sound of some of the features (scouting network etc.) they've got some realism in there that even FM doesn't have.

But looking at FM's new features I think it's fair to say that's the more promising-looking game.

FIFA Manager has been lagging behind for a while now and their "personal life" bit annoys me immensely. You have a schedule where you have to arrange to play golf, go boating etc. to make sure you get on well with the chairman. A step too far IMO.

LMA Manager was cancelled after the first 360 version of the game. Codemasters cited poor sales as the reason, and the game was the worst of the bunch so it's no wonder.

Just been playing the demo of this and enjoyed it. no doubt more than others as I haven't played a manager game really since the LMA ones on PS1 or 2 I think.

The game did however run into the 'no matter what you do, you're going to lose' area as I remembered. I picked Newcastle who in the demo still most if not all of their relegated team. I resigned Owen and then went on to draw lose win lose lose lose lose all to weaker teams (or so the chairman told me).

Annoying even if it is realistic for Newcastle.

Just playing it now and I like the match engine! The animation etc. is superb and the ball/players are far less "magnetic" than in other games.

Not seen any dodgy goals yet but I'm fully expecting to. Considering this is a beta demo I can see myself picking this up while it's on offer!

EDIT: HAHAHA! Oh shit.

The keeper just parried a shot, in runs my striker and BAM, goal. The defender runs into the back of the net and kicks it away, the text at the bottom says "the ball is cleared". This is when I realise the goal hasn't been given and play is carrying on... From behind the goal line, in the back of the net.

Maybe not an immediate purchase then!

Last edited:
Just playing it now and I like the match engine! The animation etc. is superb and the ball/players are far less "magnetic" than in other games.

Not seen any dodgy goals yet but I'm fully expecting to. Considering this is a beta demo I can see myself picking this up while it's on offer!

EDIT: HAHAHA! Oh shit.

The keeper just parried a shot, in runs my striker and BAM, goal. The defender runs into the back of the net and kicks it away, the text at the bottom says "the ball is cleared". This is when I realise the goal hasn't been given and play is carrying on... From behind the goal line, in the back of the net.

Maybe not an immediate purchase then!

So now you've played it how does it fare against the other manager games you know of?

My right back got the ball at the midfield, under no pressure what so ever. What does he do? Starts sprinting with the ball along the sideline towards my goal, my CB and one of their attackars follows him (in the middle of the pitch). So what happens then? My right back stands still with the ball, covering it from..well no one (or perhaps a ghost), and my CB takes the genius decision to slide tackle the opponents attacker in my box..penatly of course. Keep in mind that they were pretty much alone in my half..

The penalty was saved by the way, as well as the other five penaltys in my save yet.

So now you've played it how does it fare against the other manager games you know of?
I'm enjoying it to be honest despite how awful some of the mistakes are in the match engine, but I'm probably only enjoying it because it's something new.

In all honesty it doesn't have the depth that FM does and I doubt another management game will match it for a long old while. I just hope the match engine has some animations that match the CM animations this year...

Back
Top Bottom