eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

That is very true. I cant stress enough how grateful I am to all the people here, who were pushing me to play it on manual. Took a long time and a lot of frustration to adjust, but its a whole new game once you reach the point of being comfortable on manual (dont mix comfortable with great player).
Pes, as it is, has good few issues. There is very little breathing space on the pitch. Im not talking about Challenge and Im not saying it should be easier.
But there is a lot of things in PES, that I know I could do and I wish I could do, but I simply cant at the moment. Due to user/AI defending, player reactions, switching, dribbling. It feels like Im playing in chains.
And manual is the only thing saving this game for me now.

I'm a weirdo; I don't feel I can move to manual until I feel I've 'completed' (winning the CL in ML) the game on the default settings, on Legendary. But hey, I'm enjoying it as is so not in any rush.

Manual does appeal to me though.

manual pass modifier is a great addition to the football gaming world

not sure its needed for every pass but each to their own

Started playing on 30mins and i really like it. Strangely enough it does not feel long! It actually makes me wish for 45min and even 90min.

Played Argentine league and i saw some real big misses from the CPU, as if accuracy has been modified slightly to adjust to the longer matchtime. But this could also have been down to the quality of the opponents, have to test some more.

All in all still having at least some fun with 1.3, but far far from being in love. I am just not able to postpone my disbelief so much as i could would the demo and even 1.2.

Everything; AI, animations and physics, seem out of sync. A lot of lockups and clipping while dribbling and passing, overall speed.. it doesn't feel as a whole, like its trying to be too many things at once. Community has split this game in two im affraid.

Recently ive picked up an interest in driving simulation games and got myself a second hand wheel (bit of a midlife crisis i guess, yet without the money to spend on a Porsche ;))).
Now that's a lucky community. They have a whole spectrum to choose from, from arcade to extreme simulation. Sliders galore also.

And here we are moaning away while waiting for a patch. As a football fan we really get the shit treatment gaming wise. I wish PES would only release every three years with just some DLC content in between so they dont have to cut corners so much.

Last edited:
Yes.... I have played it EXTENSIVELY since release. My counter question to that is are any of you playing it on Superstar? This is where I see the most issues!
And Master League. I see so many posts about “how amazing PES is this year” and then they’re taking about Exhibition Games.

I’m sorry but I don’t want to play pointless friendlies all year long. The game should also be good in the important modes like Master League. But it’s not. In ML, the game is a scripted, buggy, empty mess.

I saw that "how scripting works" thing posted as a Steam guide a few weeks ago;

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1864353869
Just seems like a long rant to me? Not like there's any actual proof of anything or anything interesting is discussed... Not saying there isn't any element of scripting in the game but this doesn't cover any new ground that I haven't seen people complain about already.

This part makes me wonder if they even played classic PES "especially when it wasn’t a factor in historic instalments of the series. "... Really? People have been complaining about AI cheating since the PS2...

I would argue that 90% of that isn't the game purposefully cheating you (because it happens to the AI too, if you look for it - especially the "stops running mid-run and doesn't reach the intended pass" bit).

It's just that the code is ... well ... pretty stupid, in places (see players not realising a manual pass is for them, when the ball is heading directly at them, at the perfect speed).

Slightly unrelated, but one of the replies to the article is "yes, I play on D-PAD and see lots of these things". I mean, seriously. It's like me saying "when I play with a bucket on my head I lose quite often, because the game is scripted". Maybe think about taking the bucket off your head, then judge it.

I saw that "how scripting works" thing posted as a Steam guide a few weeks ago;

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1864353869
Just seems like a long rant to me? Not like there's any actual proof of anything or anything interesting is discussed... Not saying there isn't any element of scripting in the game but this doesn't cover any new ground that I haven't seen people complain about already.

This part makes me wonder if they even played classic PES "especially when it wasn’t a factor in historic instalments of the series. "... Really? People have been complaining about AI cheating since the PS2...

This. it's a very verbose article. But essentially nothing we've not seen before. If someone could actually track what the game is doing (like showing player stats being artificially boosted/dropped whilst in a match) that would actually be interesting.

Been having the same kinds of debates with people on other forums who say that there are ways to play the game and that half the 'issues' are actually fine, and they make excuses for the game in any way they can.

recorded a full match, with my own commentary over the game, commenting on things that happen in the game and the issues.
This wasn't even one of the worst 'fuckery' type matches, it was quite tame but still had enough niggles to piss me off.

Surely programming AI will always come under scripting? Or at least for the foreseeable future until some amazing AI break through.
yes but not to the extreme that we see in PES in ML as Mikhail quite rightly said on Superstar. The amount of Scripting is a complete joke! At times it is like "So what that you are good at the game, your players are on good form and you are giving it your best.... I will make sure you lose with some absolute bullshit".

BIG question lads - do we know What PES 2020 Master League font is, the one used in cutscenes? Would love to know.

Only serious replies pls!! No funny reactions allowed...

Wow. This is damning. We need to share this everywhere.

Hopefully this will silence the people that claim there is no scripting in PES.

I didnt realise there was a substantial scripting denier argument;
I think most if not all agree there is an element of scripting in the game which has been there for years;
The degree of which is the point of debate imo.

I think most if not all agree there is an element of scripting in the game which has been there for years;
There’s a guy on the WEPES sub Reddit, he’s pretty notorious - who swears that there’s no scripting in PES. He shoots anyone down that dare criticise the game actually, proper strange behaviour.

It is mode and Difficulty level specific of course. I do get the distinct impression those who don't feel that Scripting is that prevalent aren't playing ML on Superstar or Legend etc.. Or somehow are playing a different game to some of us

or.... "I am playing the game wrong" ;) lol

It is mode and Difficulty level specific of course. I do get the distinct impression those who don't feel that Scripting is that prevalent aren't playing ML on Superstar or Legend etc.. Or somehow are playing a different game to some of us

or.... "I am playing the game wrong" ;) lol

Yeah definitely think on Superstar and Legend the issue is more prevalent because the AI have to make the game more difficult, enhance the stats of worse teams just so that its a challenge for the user.
I don't think it is as bad as previous versions imo.

It’s quite revealing how some FIFA players have now moved over to PES and enjoy the simplistic gameplay of PES 2020.

I like a football game to be accessible but not as barebones and arcadey as PES is now. I think the slow pace of the game tricks a lot of gamers into thinking that PES is a simulation of sorts, a thinking man’s football game - when it couldn’t be further from the truth.

Take this post on Reddit as a example, there are a lot of old skool PES players saying the same thing I’ve noticed:

Same here. I occasionally play one or two matches but I never have that itch to play anymore. Game has zero consistency on the pitch. Everything just feels random. First touch, a shot, dribbling. You can tell there's a good game in there somewhere but it's buried under the arcade style of play they're going for. Doesn't surprise me how all these FIFA converts are enjoying it. This game is right up their alley...

I’m genuinely worried for the series now because I think that the shooting/arcade like feeling is here to stay now. But the developers bury it behind slow gameplay and ‘lifelike player models/faces’ to keep it PES like.

I think I’ve either outgrown PES or PES has outgrown me. Either way, whenever I play it now I don’t even get a sense of nostalgia or even a glimpse of what made the series so damn addictive back in the old days. Everything about it is so bland now and I don’t see how the series will ever change drastically from this point moving forward.

i dont mind ai cheating. its not got a brain end of day

but human vs human, let it be user input that decides!
I can stand the CPU kicking it's arse into gear and boosting itself in certain ways to simulate difficulty and strife, What i cannot stand is when the game blatantly nerfs the human players team and controls to create a handicap. That's not fun and is just categorically infuriating.

Don't even get me started on handicapping people online when they're playing other human beings. What is even the point in having so much of a ranking system online if the conditions aren't even fair or sterile?

I can stand the CPU kicking it's arse into gear and boosting itself in certain ways to simulate difficulty and strife, What i cannot stand is when the game blatantly nerfs the human players team and controls to create a handicap. That's not fun and is just categorically infuriating.

Don't even get me started on handicapping people online when they're playing other human beings. What is even the point in having so much of a ranking system online if the conditions aren't even fair or sterile?
exactly

no wonder juventus are an offical pes partner. ecorrupt football

where is best place for option file , one that has bundesliga teams too.

pes universe i cant find an option for a free download? only silver and gold

Back
Top Bottom